(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Haus of Talk Thread

Post by Catabo »

Bean wrote: 7 months ago(and isn't even ours as I'm not the talkhaus)
It's true. It is i who is the talkhaus. :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona: :pandamona:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Hope everyone's doing okay, just woke up. Gonna amass some reference material for drawing.

Might continue Panzer Dragoon Saga tomorrow, just gotta re-organize its savefiles to match my current Mednafen version. Just a matter of renaming the files. I really should try and beat the first two games, maybe Mini (I'll do Orta when I can emulate OG Xbox games).

Also wanna continue Fantasia Sango 1, Fallout 1, Legend of Heroes III PC98, Fire Emblem 1, Power of the Hired, maybe start Arcturus with its translation patch if it isn't too long (I imagine it is, it inspired Trails in the Sky, soundtrack is still to die for though). Also wanna play Wing of Madoola, which isn't an RPG.

Also should continue Romancing SaGa 2 SNES, I started it again, forgot to post about it or update my backlogs, but from a new savefile due to the monster rank being too high on my previous playthrough. Being more careful with battles and only clearing out maps of on-screen encounters once per file, like I tend to do with post-Roma1 SaGa. I tended to refight any I ran into the last time, so I fucked up the difficulty curve...

Sorry that I play too many RPGs. I know it's weird. :calleoca:
Catabo wrote: 7 months ago
Bean wrote: 7 months ago(and isn't even ours as I'm not the talkhaus)
It's true. It is i who is the talkhaus.
we are all the talkhouse
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

A twit opens their browser and gets Xed and you think that of me?

No.

I AM the haus who talks.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Feel like my last week has been spent either in front of a computer screen or working out to continue to rebuild my arm strength. It's productive, but it's exhausting.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

one of the newsletters I subscribe to was taking the mickey out of Hallmark for their latest CEO's goals towards diversity and inclusion and one of the contributors made a joke about a trans dude still having feelings for the main character of the week and it's like... that would actually be an interesting twist on the Hallmark Christmas Movie Formula, since for once it's societal pressure getting in the way of the happy ending rather than a badly-balanced work/life balance.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i agree but i want more trans guy rep bc trans men are cool af
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

the way my artist friend from france who i only speak to on twitter elon's decaying crapshack sent me a link to someone else's macro pic last week through dm and im just floored that he still remembers me even if we haven't talked in ages. i wish he used discord so i could bother him more often but alas he's like 42.

i wish keeping up with people in The Wired wasn't so hard in the year of our luigi 2023, there is a reason i only use FA and Discord and like Talkhaus now and try to maintain Itaku as a backup to the best of my abilities and just keep neglecting elon's crapshack, mastodon, cohost and tumblr, regretfully

i almost posted this as a joke introduction to my game journal update in the games playing thread. so thank me for not doing so
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

S.N.N. wrote:hi lion. i hope you're doing well.
more or less? im sorry for being such a shitter on smwc. i know i say that a lot but i feel like i was a turbo turd back then lmaoooo

mirror here bc i feel like esenen is not gonna log tf into talk house multiple times in the span of a year,
Image Image
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

I just discovered there is a Cursed Conlang Contest, and it spawned some really fascinating experiments. They basically spin the idea of most conlangs around, since they're extremely strange, not very useful or easy to learn and a few aren't really pronounceable by actual human beings (shout out to Seraphim, the angelic conlang based on biblically accurate angels, it's as bizarre as it sounds).
If you just search "cursed conlang" on YouTube you can find a bunch, but I'll list a few of my favorites:
There's this strange one based on programming languages, hexadecimal colors and a distinction between physical and metaphysical objects, if they're alive and if they have reached an industrial revolution amongst other things. It's so delightfully stupid, but also complex and kinda interesting with its rules and structure, it's just perfect shitpost material. Hanziyu, which is based on multiple Chinese languages and dialects, plus the complexity of the writing system and it's honestly really cool. And then there's fucking Gurgle and θͬæͬɐ̃ͬχ̓ɤ̞̃ɐ̃ͬlͬ, which both sound like some kind of fantasy creature language, it's absolutely hilarious to listen to.

I really like conlangs, and while my interest came from the ones that are actually useful as an internationalist bridge between people who otherwise wouldn't be able to communicate with each other very well, but the whole concept of construction and all the little intricacies of languages are interesting enough to keep me engaged in watching them being explained, despite them not being something I'd ever actually try to use.
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

If I ever become queen of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I will make hymmnos the official language.

(I haven't played any of the Ar Tonelico games yet. I'd kill for a Steam release of some kind.)
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
UlsterFry

Post by UlsterFry »

Man, I never really realised just how much history there is on this forum, got hit with a big wave of the nostalgia deep scrolling through all the posts
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'll need to check those out @ cursed conlangs
EllenHouraisan wrote: 5 months ago If I ever become queen of a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I will make hymmnos the official language.

(I haven't played any of the Ar Tonelico games yet. I'd kill for a Steam release of some kind.)
yeah an all the tonelicos is on my to do list eventually (i just wont do ciel nosurge since it's more of a life sim/v-pet which is a genre im very picky abt)
Image Image
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

so it has been a while
hello and hi
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

your name seems familiar. hello, welcome back! stay however long you wish.
Image Image
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

yeah, I joined talkhaus way back when a2xt was ending and from there on out...a LOT happened. decided to rejoin it cause I missed the place tbh
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Oh it just be like that. I'm trying to get good at drawing as a hobby now for some reason. I'm also masc agender now??? I still like Leomon.
Also trying to encourage more side-collabs aside from A2XT2's endless development.

Hope you can have a nice time here, at least.
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Earlier today (yesterday now) a friend was asking about favorite Mario villains and all I could think of was Fawful from SS. I was trying to remember its release year, and I said "I think 2003."

Found out later that not only was I correct but it was exactly 20 years ago to the day (yesterday now), Nov 17 2003.

Happy birthday to my favorite RPG.
Quadro
Heh heh.

Post by Quadro »

I just spent over $900 getting my car fixed.
RIP my wallet.
T-T

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just putting this here due to shoutbox limitations:

i dreamt i was doing an action rpg in rpg maker 2003 with actual screen scrolling and i never want to suffer such a horrible nightmare ever again.

must specify that doing picture based characters for pixel based movement alongside actual scrolling is a nightmare bc the engine doesn't have screen scroll altering commands, so you gotta move a bunch of pictures around with hitboxes to simulate it.
MonkeyShrapnel wrote:That's the most fucked-up thing I've read in months
thank you for agreeing with me. i've seen a few arpgs use the inbuilt per tile movement, though a lot of them use projectile weapons to make it less jank. if you want scrolling maps, the later rpg makers and game maker are better for that sort of thing

relics walker, a japanese made rpg maker game does handle action rpg gameplay with screen based map transfer (go to the edge of the screen and you're in another submap) pretty well, though it's generally a ridiculously well made game in general. it also uses inbuilt tile movement with normal event characters and player characters for the town maps which are larger (so scrolling helps) and have a bunch of npcs, which is smart design. the enemy maps only have roughly 4 picture based enemies at the most per submap

this old western made patch for rpg maker 2003 by cherry (who later worked on the official rpg maker 2003 update/localization for steam), dynrpg, also does make complex action rpgs semi-possible in that engine by making augmenting the engine with c++ plugins (a la xp onwards) possible. i have a zelda fangame downloaded that uses it, and it's generally a pretty alright game.

need to study jrpg battle system design principles more so i can practice in rpg maker and game maker..

---------------------

in an unrelated note, but i might as well put it here, planning on working more on my japanese and getting started on chinese and korean. gonna study em through reading literature, comics (manga/manhua/manhwa) and text heavy video games. im not too confident on working on listening through tv shows and youtube/bilibili/niconico videos (lps and such), but we'll see, i need to work on listening comprehension eventually.

the latter two im gonna start with trying to study the basics, grammar and such. i dont really want to do SRS, i dont vibe with anki much at all, i get into a groove but then i spiral out of it in record time. duolingo also doesn't seem ideal for me either.

i'll have to also do a study on casual speaking just in case. for one, anime speaking tends to be different than real life japanese speaking due to there being less focus on keigo and such due to its context as a tv show (and a decent amount of em being targeted at children). it should be the same for CN and KO but i'm not sure.

i'd also like to learn tagalog, thai, vietnamese and other asian languages, but all in due time. life is short, yo
Image Image
Noelle
I only exist inside those people who are aware of my existence.
First name: No-L
Pronouns: she/bog witch ❦

Post by Noelle »

Speaking of studying, I definitely want to start reading more, might set a goal to myself, and build it up as I get used to it (literal mental gymnastics I guess). Something like a chapter per day maybe, nothing too crazy, since I know very well my energy and time are quite limited anyway. I'd love to learn more languages too, it's kinda embarrassing how I can understand a bit of cyrillic and kana + a few kanji, but I barely have a basic understanding of the languages that use them, other than a few words and whatnot.

Edit: I wrote slow it up instead of build it up and only noticed it now, sorry I am indeed very tired. lol
Last edited by Noelle 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
:ace_pride: "No matter where you go, everyone is connected."
:mgmnds:

You are too big to be a slug.

lifelike noise
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Us few dozen Rock Band/Guitar Hero fans have been eating really good the past week! Fortnite Festival, which is literally just Rock Band sans strumming, is really fun! It was developed by the guys who developed GH1, 2, and Rocks the 80s, and every Rock Band game (Harmonix), so it makes sense that it's really fun.

It's a little annoying that it's stuck in Fortnite's ecosystem, but it is what it is. It's better than anything since like 2010 or 2015, depending on how one feels about Rock Band 4. Also, guitar controllers were confirmed to be coming NEXT MONTH, which is insane. This is the best time to be a fan of these games since like, I dunno, 2007 or something.
Quadro
Heh heh.

Post by Quadro »

My dog died today.
She was 17.

Honestly, I just feel.... Weird about it. I'm melancholic, but not really sad, and that's making me feel off. She was a good dog, but she was also a major pain in my ass for a long time. I don't know. Emotions are weird.

But I know she's been suffering for a long while. The past few days she hadn't eaten anything, and today she couldn't walk. So I think she's in a better place.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i am not posting this in the books thread but apparently marvel brought back 1985 beast bc they made nu-beast into too much of a fascist which is amazing to me, but im also like barely into capeshit as is
Quadro wrote: 2 months ago My dog died today.
She was 17.

Honestly, I just feel.... Weird about it. I'm melancholic, but not really sad, and that's making me feel off. She was a good dog, but she was also a major pain in my ass for a long time. I don't know. Emotions are weird.

But I know she's been suffering for a long while. The past few days she hadn't eaten anything, and today she couldn't walk. So I think she's in a better place.
Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'm sure she's in a better place, don't worry. I feel like she also treasured the time she spent with you and your family, she's surely watching over you in some way.

Please excuse this late response.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

who else in here still has daily trauma flashbacks from the 2010s internet. show of hands

in my case it's mostly tumblr and twitter social justice discourse but i feel like anything counts
Image Image