(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Mata Hari »

Pikabread wrote:We've done it.
It might be better if you explained what 'it' was
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Mata Hari wrote:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Mata Hari wrote:
it's it. What is it?
That crazy voice dude
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Pikabread wrote:
Mata Hari wrote:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
epic
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

onpon4 wrote:It's practically already domesticated. Spiders that live in your home cannot survive outside, and they've been living in your house ever since it was built (probably brought in by a shipping container or something, from another building). And they're our friends; they kill insects that would otherwise infest your home.

Also, pesticides do not kill spiders. In fact, some spiders can develop behavioral problems (e.g. become aggressive against humans rather than docile and reclusive like they're supposed to be) because of pesticides. Do not use pesticides on spiders! You shouldn't be trying to kill them anyway; they're always going to be in your building (a typical house has a few dozen at any given time), and like I said, they're our friends. :)
You're preaching to the choir there. I don't kill spiders that show up in my room unless they're venomous ones. And even then it's only if they're around my bed or, especially, if they're black widows or brown recluses. Though widows are fairly rare here (I've never personally even seen one in the wild) and recluses are, well, reclusive so they're pretty uncommon inside houses.
Mata Hari wrote:Holding Alt lets you select part of a link's text.

This changes everything for me!!!
I actually wasn't aware of that. That's incredibly useful for me.
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

Alice wrote:I don't kill spiders that show up in my room unless they're venomous ones.
All spiders are venomous. But with only a few exceptions (most of them being exclusive to Australia), most of their venom is totally harmless to humans.
And even then it's only if they're around my bed or, especially, if they're black widows or brown recluses. Though widows are fairly rare here (I've never personally even seen one in the wild) and recluses are, well, reclusive so they're pretty uncommon inside houses.
Widow spiders are outdoor spiders. You're not going to find them in any home; they would starve to death. You might find them in an outhouse, though (if you're in a region where they live).

Brown recluse spiders are indoor spiders, but their bites are typically not all that dangerous (no worse than a bee sting), and unless you use pesticides on them (that can mess up their behavior) or crush them (that triggers a reflexive bite action), it is quite uncommon for them to bite people. They're also only found in the southern continental United States. If you don't live in any of the marked areas of this map, brown recluse spiders do not exist where you live.

(Sorry if this is all stuff you know; I just have such an affinity for spiders that I like to take every opportunity I can to point out and debunk this myth, especially. Even if you know it, there's someone else reading this thread who doesn't. ;))
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

onpon4 wrote:All spiders are venomous. But with only a few exceptions (most of them being exclusive to Australia), most of their venom is totally harmless to humans.
Probably should've been more specific. I meant ones that are potentially dangerous to humans excludes most of them.
Widow spiders are outdoor spiders. You're not going to find them in any home; they would starve to death. You might find them in an outhouse, though (if you're in a region where they live).

Brown recluse spiders are indoor spiders, but their bites are typically not all that dangerous (no worse than a bee sting), and unless you use pesticides on them (that can mess up their behavior) or crush them (that triggers a reflexive bite action), it is quite uncommon for them to bite people. They're also only found in the southern continental United States. If you don't live in any of the marked areas of this map, brown recluse spiders do not exist where you live.

(Sorry if this is all stuff you know; I just have such an affinity for spiders that I like to take every opportunity I can to point out and debunk this myth, especially. Even if you know it, there's someone else reading this thread who doesn't. ;))
Yup, I was aware on the widows bit. I'm actually not sure on the brown recluse part though because I live in the Pacific Northwest and know people (my own sister even) who have been bitten by what we call a brown recluse here. So unless the name here just refers to a different spider I'm not really sure at all. The one we refer to as a brown recluse here is a rather aggressive brown spider that's pretty venomous and can be pretty dangerous to humans. And whichever species they actually are here is most common outside or in the crawlspaces under houses. After searching around a little bit it sounds like it may actually be a hobo spider. The page on bite info also sounds a lot like what my sister suffered too.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh boy I can meet brown recluse spider friend where I live. :D
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

After searching around a little bit it sounds like it may actually be a hobo spider. The page on bite info also sounds a lot like what my sister suffered too.
Yes, I tend to come to that conclusion as well.

One other thing to note: you can't identify a spider by looking at it. Only an experienced arachnologist with a microscope (yes, you need a microscope) can correctly identify a spider. Things like having a brown color and having a violin pattern are extremely common among spiders, for instance. Assuming that what you are thinking of is the Hobo spider (which seems likely), any brown-colored spiders in your home are most likely not this type of spider; they are probably perfectly harmless spiders, adapted to living indoors, that (ironically enough) will serve to make the environment even less hospitable to Hobo spiders through competition.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

oh man as of 2002 I could get bit by a brown recluse.

Plenty of spiders in our house, though none of them seem to congregate in the bathroom (which is where most of our visible bug activity is at). Probably because said bathroom counts as a high-traffic area.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

THE SECRET IS OUT!!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

gdi linux windows managers

it doesn't work for me
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Coryman »

My house isn't bad spider-wise (we've got wolf spiders, which can bite, but they're no problem). On the other hand, my dad's got a woodshop in the front yard, and I'd be surprised if there's a single object in there that doesn't have a spider/web. Doorknobs, doorways, discarded cardboard...
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If you ain't Charlotte or Squitter (DKC2/3), you probably aren't going to be a cool spider to me. Just saying.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Bean wrote:a cool spider. Just saying.
Of all the things to come to mind... don't ask.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Bean wrote:Squitter
Eighteyes. His name is Eighteyes.

Expresso is actually named Useless McBird.
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Expresso, huh? I'm reminded of Orangutan Gang in DKC, which has that stupid area in the middle of the level thats almost impossible to reach even with Expresso. The ostrich could have been eaten by K. Rool for all I care, but I miss Winky. I guess Squawks made them both obsolete, though.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Well, one Jim Sterling has brought to our eyes a game that looks super cool and fun and tickles me because of how much I dislike the lazy indie "retro" art style (while acknowledging that putting actual effort into 2D graphics is hard, which it should be) and now I might have to bug raocow to play a game about owls in a year when it comes out and there's another Patreon vote.

*wanders off to eat the spiders on her walls*
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Mata Hari wrote:I smell :(
I wish I could smell but half the time my nose is either clogged or simply doesn't register scents
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What do you smell?

Or do you mean that you have a noticeable odor? In that case, do you smell like onions? Cheese? Wet goat? Flowers? Beer? Vodka? Withholding crucial details isn't nice, you know. :P
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Oh, so that's what I smell.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Thunderstorms are dumb and smelly and ugly and I don't like them
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

So one ofctge bands I saw two nights ago called "fire from the gods" was pretty bad ass! You guys should give em a listen.
That crazy voice dude
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton

Jack Riley died ;( the guy who voiced Stu Pickles in Rugrats
That crazy voice dude