(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: t̖̞̭̤̱͝ͅw̜it͔̩̹̺̗̫t̸̤̘͍̝̲͕̙e͍̹̙r͈̗͎̯̳̮ ̯̟̙̹̗͠t̮̠̮̗͓̀h̨̻͓͍̻̭ṛ̡̜e̢̺͇̞͎a̜̺d

Post by Mata Hari »

I have a serious question, viz: how do adults forget how to have fun? I'm an adult and I've forgotten how to have fun like I did when I was a kid. And it feels bad.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago I have a serious question, viz: how do adults forget how to have fun? I'm an adult and I've forgotten how to have fun like I did when I was a kid. And it feels bad.
Find new and exciting hobbies
That crazy voice dude
TDK
visitor
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by TDK »

8flight wrote: 6 years ago This is frankly why I don't consider people on the internet as friends, just people to talk to when you're bored.

Like it's honestly a waste of time developing either a extreme like or dislike of someone online.

Agreed, I prefer to be neutral.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

Mafia logic amuses me.
"Oh no somebody died? No idea who did it, but we'd better hang someone before it happens again"
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

RedMageSusie wrote: 6 years ago Solution: Drink more booze.
That's your solution to everything.
Le Neveu de Rameau

RedMageSusie wrote:Not true! I don't drink and write.
Well of course not. You write fiction, and in vino, veritas. On the other hand, fiction is fact distilled into truth, so you'd better get your brandy handy.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

But all I have is rum. Guess I'm not getting published soon.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Get some gin and you can play cards. Also polish your furniture.

(Also, hahaha, published.)
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

It's been a while since Windows 10 has been released. What's the general opinion on it now?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years ago It's been a while since Windows 10 has been released. What's the general opinion on it now?
It's still left a sour taste because of the forced integration and lackluster experience as far as I'm aware. Several people I know who have windows 7 or 8(.1) aren't planning to transition anytime soon.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years ago It's been a while since Windows 10 has been released. What's the general opinion on it now?
as someone who doesnt usually use windows its p sick compared to 7 and 8
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

rena wrote: 6 years ago as someone who doesnt usually use windows its p sick compared to 7 and 8
got a pop-up while playing isaac to schedule a restart time immediately for an update. rip, first time that's happened to me.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I think Microsoft's scammy upgrade process was the worst part of Windows 10. I booted up one of our computers at work to find out it had just installed Windows 10 on itself, so after waiting like 20 minutes for it to finish upgrading, it THEN asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 and told me "you can go back to Windows 7, but it'll take a while"

So they basically upgrade you automatically and THEN ask if you want to upgrade so it's more of a pain in the ass to roll back and they hope people just won't want to go through that process and just put up with it. There's also the privacy issues but like honestly where aren't there privacy issues these days?

But in terms of features, they're listening to community feedback a lot and adding long-requested things regularly with their biannual feature updates. Things like multiple desktops, lockscreen wallpapers, a Linux bash shell, a built-in 3D modeling program (I mean I'll probably never use that but it's there), a built-in blue light filter (similar to F.lux). Also there's that Cortana stuff for whatever it's worth to you. I just disabled it as soon as I could. But I'm generally pretty happy with it. Also there's the general under-the-hood improvements like faster bootup times and whatnot. Nadella has really turned things around for Windows since the Ballmer era.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years agoIt's been a while since Windows 10 has been released. What's the general opinion on it now?
A lot of people who were singing Windows 10's praises early on in its life cycle have started regretting it due to the bullshit Microsoft keeps pulling. If you're not worried about privacy in any way (you can take steps to alleviate this but Microsoft loves resetting your privacy settings on an update) or being forced to update though it's not a big deal. Also rather than simply upgrading from Windows 7/8 to 10 you should do a fresh install. Somehow, despite having the upgrade feature for so many versions of Windows, it's still not that great.

When I upgraded my start menu wouldn't work at all. I had to refresh my install before it would. After that it worked for awhile but now I've got this irritating issue where Explorer crashes and restarts basically any time I interact with a file directly through Explorer (as in double clicking it instead of right clicking and choosing "open with X program") or if I download a file through Firefox/save a file through most programs.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If you play PC games, you're probably gonna need to get Windows 10, since DirectX 12 is only supported by Windows 10 (and most devs are slowly moving to it)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoAlso there's the general under-the-hood improvements like faster bootup times and whatnot.
While generally I don't have good experiences with windows, I can account for this actually. Though it gets even faster when you mess in the registry and remove the currently known telemetry. I've done this multiple times for multiple computers, and it's improved both startup and general performance dramatically. Still nothing like what you could do with arch linux or gentoo, but it's nice anyhow.
SAJewers wrote: If you play PC games, you're probably gonna need to get Windows 10, since DirectX 12 is only supported by Windows 10 (and most devs are slowly moving to it)
While this is true, I've also heard a lot of people not really liking DX12 very much. I'd probably only transition if several specific games I play start using DX12, and even then it'd have to be several.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

while i can't speak about developing for dx12, it performs a lot better than dx11 in games. Also looks like most of the new game published by Microsoft are DX12-only. Give it a year or two, and I expect most major PC games would be using DX12 or Vulkan.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Want to know a secret I've learned?

When it comes to weight loss, it's almost entirely diet, and exercise is mostly useless (and can even backfire)

That's a bit of an oversimplification, and that's not to say you shouldn't exercise because it's a very good thing to do, but I think the health info they teach kids (like I was taught) is garbage and trendy diet plans make things way more complex than they need to be. Literally all you need to do to lose weight is treat your daily calorie intake like a budget.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

I think the best thing for me, since I have more willpower than motivation, is to just not eat sugary foods, and nut bother counting calories.

But yeah, diet is more for weight loss, exercise is more for health, as far as I'm aware
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, I mean, exercise can help with weight loss. The big picture is you just have to in general be at a caloric deficit to lose weight, that's the only way. And by working out and eating as you normally would whether or not you did that workout, you'll be on a larger deficit and lose weight faster. The issue comes in with the common thinking that because you worked out, you get to reward yourself with some fairly large snack or meal. Then you eat more than you burned, putting you at a net loss for the day. A good workout burns like 300-500 calories in an hour depending on what you're doing, and you can undo those calories burnt in one meal or chocolate bar or whatever. If you can't overcome that mindset, you'll just be putting on fat while exercising, the exact opposite of what you want. It's just so much harder to "add" to your calorie budget (exercising) than it is to plan for your budget accordingly, which is all that calorie counting is. Exercise should supplement your diet if you're looking to lose weight. That's the gist of what I'm trying to say.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Ever since I started going to gym I didn't really change my diet at all, but neither did I "reward" myself for a workout.

The result is that I didn't really lose weight (in fact, I gained a bit), but now I have more muscles and about the same amound of fat.

I've been trying to drink water instead of soft drinks now though.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

My current diet plan (regarding calorie intake) can be summed up pretty well:

1. No sugary sweet food or drink
2. Minimal snack foods, even if savory
3. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables

As a result, I feel pretty nice. Like I don't care about being thin anymore but it overall just makes my body feel nicer than if I drank a coke every day and snacked on a mars bar every other day or something. And being so distant from sugary foods and drinks actually makes me disdain them now, which is an especially good habit.

"Sugary" refers to anything sweet, regardless of whether or not it has "sugar" in it. Whatever actual sweetner the food contains, I avoid it when possible.

As for exercise... I try to do at least twenty perfect pushups a day, although it's hard to remember to do them sometimes. It can be even harder to actually do them, especially if I try to exceed ten at a time! :P
(Formerly Jayoshi)