(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by pholtos »

I'm the type that wears a jacket even if it's snowing.

People are different, some like the cold, some like the hot.

I hate the hot. Can't stand it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

TaviTurnip wrote:As someone who shovels the snow in a t-shirt, I disagree with "you feel the cold through layers" 100% >_> Unless you're like, soaked, or something, because cold weather preys on wet bodies (and worse, cold wind will prey on exposed faces) and you shouldn't be outside if you're damp or wet in some way. I sweat like crazy under basic winter clothes and so do my mother and brother, unless it's a -20C day where you shouldn't really be outside in the first place, so it's pretty much just "make sure you're wearing gloves" and possibly cover your face if necessary.

Also like if the problem is that it's cold for exposed skin, the solution is don't have exposed skin :x
TheFinalSentinel wrote: The big problem is that being hot just doesn't bother me much, but I REALLY hate the cold.

Also, even if you do put layers on, you can still feel it through them, such as on exposed skin. You still end up uncomfortable, if not cold per se, so I don't buy the argument completely.
I've had this happen to me on days with no wind at about 50 F. I might be less cold with extra layers but then I start sweating up a storm and I end up being cold again. On the flipside, I've literally walked around on a dry day while it was 108 F and enjoyed it. Dry heat is not only not a myth, but it's frigging fantastic and I want to move to an actual desert at some point.
Alice wrote: I dunno why so many people look at you like you're crazy when you explain this to them. It's completely logical.
Logic doesn't seem to have much bearing on comfort for a lot of people. As my roommate would often say about peoples' tastes in general: different strokes for different folks.
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

The ends of my fingers and toes go white and numb very quickly if they get too cold. I suppose I probably have Raynaud's disease; maybe I should ask my doctor about that when I see him. (Not like it makes a difference, though, since all I can do about it is keep my fingers and toes warm.) And the thing is, keeping fingers and toes warm is hard. You can't keep adding layers of gloves; all that does is isolate your fingers more and/or make your hands more unusable. Layers of socks? Well, that depends; how oversized are your boots? If you have too many sock layers, that crushes your feet, cutting off circulation, which just makes it worse.

So... yeah, I don't really buy that "you can always add more clothing" argument. It's overly simplistic, naïve even. I'd much rather it be a little too hot than a little too cold, and I'd especially much rather it be a little too hot than a lot too cold.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

I live in a "tropical" country which experiences both extreme heat and bone-chilling cold, so I've gotten accustomed to both over time. To me, it only really feels terrible if I'm stuck with thick jeans and a jacket in 30+ (C) weather, or I'm stuck with thin clothing (no full undergarments) and tennis shoes in deep snow. The former's happened to me already, the latter only partially.

My fingers and toes tend to get cold very, very quickly; even in moderate air conditioning I might have either my hands or feet freezing. As a result, I usually don't mind that in arctic conditions. Permeating cold humidity is much, much worse in my opinion.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Might be interesting/useful to some people, but RetroArch just released a web player. Almost all systems should now be emulateable in a web browser.
Last edited by SAJewers 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

SAJewers wrote:Might be interesting/useful to some people, but RetroArch just released a web player. Almost all systems should now be emulateable in a web browser.
ffmpeg is a core.

I just... WHY?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I thought that Patreon thing through and even launched the page and uploaded a video on it... only to change my mind when I realized just how silly that is. I'm not popular, and I'm not in dire straits, so why do it? I'd just be putting unwanted pressure on myself again by having to stick to a schedule that I can't even promise to stick to. Screw that. I'll keep my hobby as a hobby, but I do want to be better at being more open and talkative. I keep to myself way too often and don't want to be like that.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

The use of vocalizations is widespread in avian species and are often used to attract mates. Different aspects and features of bird song such as structure, amplitude and frequency have evolved as a result of sexual selection.

Large song repertoires are preferred by females of many avian species. One hypothesis for this is that song repertoire is positively correlated with the size of the brain’s song control nucleus (HVC).

Japanese bush warbler songs from island populations have an acoustically simple structure when compared to mainland populations. Song complexity is correlated with higher levels of sexual selection in mainland populations, showing that a more complex song structure is advantageous in an environment with high levels of sexual selection.

hi
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I'm more of a, likes the warm weather, person. Warm, not hot. Sometimes these Texas summers can suck it, though this one was mostly nice due to the much much higher than normal amounts of rain we got.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

There was a crane fly in my room that wouldn't sit still so I spritzed it with Raid just to show it who's boss and it ended up in a spider's web. Now that spider's finishing the job.

I feel I have a mutual respect for any species willing to take out a crane fly because those things are just the worst
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

sure, crane flies look like mosquitoes, but they don't do mosquito things, so they are a-ok in my book
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

they fly in your face and drop their gross legs everywhere :(

also there was a storm last night and it killed our broadband, the engineer's coming on Monday so I have no internet for the whole weekend. how naff is that??
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

One week down on the new job. I'm so much happier :)
I'm probably driving right now.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

If the weather forecasts are to be believed, today marked the begin of autumn. And not a moment too soon, if you ask me.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

it's still summer here in the midwest. 80 degrees for the next 6 days
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

It was like 45F the other night and I got to sleep with my window open for once.

But nah summer still lasts until like December 26 here.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Yay Georgia Tech is 3-0
That crazy voice dude
Ninja Steve
No Bonus!?
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Ninja Steve »

As an Iowa fan I think college football is the last thing I want to talk about, lol
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Ninja Steve wrote:As an Iowa fan I think college football is the last thing I want to talk about, lol
As the child of a Texas A&M cultist it's the last thing I want to talk about either
(Formerly Jayoshi)
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

As someone with no connections to college football, I don't care to talk about it either.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i watched a college football game once
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Ninja Steve wrote:As an Iowa fan I think college football is the last thing I want to talk about, lol
Never scheduled NDSU! When will the FBS teams learn?
That crazy voice dude
Ninja Steve
No Bonus!?
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Ninja Steve »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote:
Never scheduled NDSU! When will the FBS teams learn?
Well I mean, the Big Ten has rules against it now. Iowa only went through with it because it was scheduled already. (They have another one in.. 2018 I think? It's against Northern Iowa.)

Sidenote THERE, I went to school at Northern Iowa, which is in NDSU's conference. If it weren't for that I'd probably be wishing NDSU the best, but alas.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I decided to make an apathetically bad choice and took BuzzFeed's "how millennial are you" quiz for the sake of boredom and seeing what dumb stuff it uses to judge this. I got a nice, probably accurate 23%, but Christ on a handcracker I was not expecting the quiz to be this offensive and even I think it's going too far and normally I'd be the one laughing at these questions.

Like my emotions reading these questions mix between Image and Image and I am genuinely impressed with how awful this quiz is.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Man I need to cut down on my Internet use significantly, I only got it back like 9 hours ago and I'm already dissatisfied.