(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
GlitchedGhost

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:Elgato Game Capture HD. If I'm not mistaken it works well with older consoles, too. I've used it with my PS3 and PS2. Captures nicely, the program is easy to work with. I recommend it.
I don't know if the newer HD60 works with older consoles or not, though, so I recommend looking into that.
The heck actually is that A/V in? It doesn't quite look like an S-Video - plus S-Video is only video and that is an A/V in - but I don't know what else it would be.
That aside I do know offhand that the HD60 is only HD, and that Pyro uses it and it is good and therefore I should get it when the time comes for HD streamthing.
This thing, right? It comes as a separate attachment with the card.
The A/V in has to do with the set-up, I think? I can't remember exactly HOW it works atm (haven't used my capture card in a while), but I can put it together easily enough, heck I can even take pictures if you want.
If I'm not mistaken you route the console's video output to the Elgato, route it back out via HDMI cable into the TV, and there's a mini-usb(?) cable that goes back to your pc via regular USB.
The regular Elgato HD also works for newer consoles, but you could check online for the differences between the two.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

GlitchedGhost wrote:This thing, right? It comes as a separate attachment with the card.
The A/V in has to do with the set-up, I think? I can't remember exactly HOW it works atm (haven't used my capture card in a while), but I can put it together easily enough, heck I can even take pictures if you want.
If I'm not mistaken you route the console's video output to the Elgato, route it back out via HDMI cable into the TV, and there's a mini-usb(?) cable that goes back to your pc via regular USB.
The regular Elgato HD also works for newer consoles, but you could check online for the differences between the two.
Ohhhh okay, see I figured that port was a thing you hook your console directly into. I wasn't aware they had like a proprietary dongly thing to get SD capture in there.
I did look up the differences between all the Elgatos a while back actually - essentially the HD60 gets 60fps to the HD's 30 and the HD60 Pro has some other edge over the HD60 and goes in a PCIe slot. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of only getting 30fps capture for HD but it may be worth it for my purposes if the SD capture looks as amazing as it sounds like it might.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Ohhhh okay, see I figured that port was a thing you hook your console directly into. I wasn't aware they had like a proprietary dongly thing to get SD capture in there.
I did look up the differences between all the Elgatos a while back actually - essentially the HD60 gets 60fps to the HD's 30 and the HD60 Pro has some other edge over the HD60 and goes in a PCIe slot. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of only getting 30fps capture for HD but it may be worth it for my purposes if the SD capture looks as amazing as it sounds like it might.
From the looks of it, the HD also can do 60fps. I recall that I believe there's the option for it the last I used it.
I had bought the Elgato cause it seemed the best overall and could record off of basically anything. And while I haven't used it a lot, I can still say it is good with an easy to use program. The set-up is easy to do too once you understand what's going on.
Here's a video at 480p I recorded with my Elgato from my PS2. I have a couple other videos on my PC from my PS3, but they're a couple hours long and not ready to upload.

edit: Ah right, I forgot I didn't have the video quite set up right, so Elgato didn't capture it as good as it usually does. But you can still see it's pretty good!
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
TheFinalSentinel wrote:GV-USB2
Ooh, I've not heard of that one. One of the reviewers says it can do 59.94fps too - can you confirm? None of the ones I was finding seemed able to do it themselves.
I cannot, as I still use that crappy old Dazzle I bought in like 8th grade, for as often (or rather not) as I record/stream.

I've just heard several people say really good things about it, and that it's their personal choice.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

GlitchedGhost wrote:From the looks of it, the HD also can do 60fps. I recall that I believe there's the option for it the last I used it.
I had bought the Elgato cause it seemed the best overall and could record off of basically anything. And while I haven't used it a lot, I can still say it is good with an easy to use program. The set-up is easy to do too once you understand what's going on.
Here's a video at 480p I recorded with my Elgato from my PS2. I have a couple other videos on my PC from my PS3, but they're a couple hours long and not ready to upload.

edit: Ah right, I forgot I didn't have the video quite set up right, so Elgato didn't capture it as good as it usually does. But you can still see it's pretty good!
That's "not as good"? Because uh, that's pretty good yeah. Looks a bit blurry in full screen but then again it's YouTube 480p brought up to fullscreen. And yeah thinking back it totally was just 1080p that couldn't be done at 60fps, which for my purposes almost certainly doesn't matter in the slightest.
TheFinalSentinel wrote:I cannot, as I still use that crappy old Dazzle I bought in like 8th grade, for as often (or rather not) as I record/stream.

I've just heard several people say really good things about it, and that it's their personal choice.
See the fact that you call it the "crappy old Dazzle" pretty much completely affirms that it was A Good Idea to consult the Twitter thread - otherwise that's actually the one I was most heavily considering picking up. :​P

Thanks for the help, guys, I now feel I can make an Informed Decision and I am much more comfortable with my capture card shopping experience. :​D
momo

Post by momo »

remind me to sign up for college orientation tomorrow/today
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:See the fact that you call it the "crappy old Dazzle" pretty much completely affirms that it was A Good Idea to consult the Twitter thread - otherwise that's actually the one I was most heavily considering picking up. :​P

Thanks for the help, guys, I now feel I can make an Informed Decision and I am much more comfortable with my capture card shopping experience. :​D
To be fair, that Dazzle is like 8 years old. No clue how many versions have come out since.
For what it's worth, the thing does work, if barely.

...I wouldn't recommend Dazzle either way.

As for elgato, I've heard a lot about capture delays. So, if you're planning on playing off of the capture window, or some other reason that a capture delay would interfere with...
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

TheFinalSentinel wrote:To be fair, that Dazzle is like 8 years old. No clue how many versions have come out since.
For what it's worth, the thing does work, if barely.

...I wouldn't recommend Dazzle either way.

As for elgato, I've heard a lot about capture delays. So, if you're planning on playing off of the capture window, or some other reason that a capture delay would interfere with...
I've got a 2x2 HDMI switch/splitter hooked up and a 4x2 composite/S-video switch/splitter on the way. I don't think it'll be a problem? Like I thought about how I'd hook it all up before thinking 'yeah okay that'll work let's get this one' and it'll all hook up nicely, the only potential problem to my knowledge is if one of my switch/splitters has its own delay.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Oh man, I finally got my Driver's license. I feel like a dork for graduating university before I got it. but I finally got it. Now to saddle myself with the terrible debt of car payments...
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:That's "not as good"? Because uh, that's pretty good yeah. Looks a bit blurry in full screen but then again it's YouTube 480p brought up to fullscreen. And yeah thinking back it totally was just 1080p that couldn't be done at 60fps, which for my purposes almost certainly doesn't matter in the slightest.
I said it's not as good cause I have gotten it crisper than that.
You're welcome! Good luck on getting a capture card!
He captured!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

And I'm back.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

momo wrote:remind me to sign up for college orientation tomorrow/today
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Willhart wrote:And I'm back.
Hi Willhart!

Welcome back.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So it looks like the UK is leaving the EU. Probably turmoil for a few weeks in terms of all sorts of things.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Maiku Wotaharu
Karaoke Enthusiast and Honorary Armless Bipedal Cycloptic Demon
First name: You'll figure it out.

Post by Maiku Wotaharu »

I feel bad for all my British friends.
The best part of waking up is...knowing where you are.

FINALLY, SOME MOSTS USERBARS!
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

sitting on a balcony, looking at the stars and the moonlight behind the clouds, listening to the ocean

not a bad way to end a vacation
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I find this one funny. Also surprised about the results. Will see what happens.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Shit, importing games from UK is probably not going to be worth it anymore

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I prayed to the devil that Cameron would stop being PM and he was all 'that can be arranged'
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm definitely surprised by the results, I expected it to fail.

Because I'm not British, I never really was supportive or opposed to it, but I wonder how this will affect the UK and the rest of Europe. I understand that Scotland and Wales were more against Brexit than England, so that might embolden efforts in those countries to secede from the UK. And since the UK seems to be leaving the EU, people for leaving in other countries must be motivated now that it's succeeded in Britain.
Last edited by Sasquatch 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Welsh nationalists do exist but aren't really a thing, Scottish nationalists OTOH are a massive thing so they might get another independence referendum. Literally the whole of Scotland voted to stay lol

I can't wait for this country to tear itself apart at a molecular level. Seems good!
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

I have family in England.I can only hope they'll be ok...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

It's unironically relieving to me that we can focus on how dumb Europe is for once, instead of insulting random people for being Americans any time they look like they might trip over a rock somewhere.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

TaviTurnip wrote:It's unironically relieving to me that we can focus on how dumb Europe is for once, instead of insulting random people for being Americans any time they look like they might trip over a rock somewhere.
True, though same couldl be basically said about all humans. :D Wherever a group of humans live together something bad is going to happen sooner or later.
Sad about the Brexit. Hope UK will be okay.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!