(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by QubicTom »

The next spaceX launch is in a few minutes, and I'm super anxious! Lots of fog on the rocket launch pad and there are 3 meter swells in the Pacific ocean where the landing barge is waiting. My poor heart is pounding (don't be a rocket nerd, kids!)

Link to live launch webcast (should start in a few minutes): Oh man nerves
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Piter Lauchy wrote:
Learning-Timebuster wrote:i mean there are some legitimately terrible works that you really shouldnt be supporting but yeah i can see where youre coming from
It's still no one business if one does happen to be supporting such a "legitimately terrible" work. No point in making that person feel terrible for liking something most don't, even if it's for good reason.
even if said work is contributing to harming people? bc i can think of at least one franchise's fanbase full of people who are like "well i recognize the fact that this work has terrifying ramifications and is marketing itself at a young audience with the purpose of manipulating them, but ill keep giving them free advertisement anyway oh well ^_^" and it is pain

you gotta draw the line somewhere i think.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Believe it or not but almost anything nowadays tries to manipulate you in a way.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Leet wrote:
Piter Lauchy wrote:
Learning-Timebuster wrote:i mean there are some legitimately terrible works that you really shouldnt be supporting but yeah i can see where youre coming from
It's still no one business if one does happen to be supporting such a "legitimately terrible" work. No point in making that person feel terrible for liking something most don't, even if it's for good reason.
even if said work is contributing to harming people? bc i can think of at least one franchise's fanbase full of people who are like "well i recognize the fact that this work has terrifying ramifications and is marketing itself at a young audience with the purpose of manipulating them, but ill keep giving them free advertisement anyway oh well ^_^" and it is pain

you gotta draw the line somewhere i think.
Hm, that's a difficult topic. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "harming people". Your example isn't too clear on that.
If you're talking about stuff that has terrible messages that no one objectively should follow, I can see where you're coming from, but I still think that censorship or attacking the supporters isn't the right way. No one's gonna go "Oh, thanks for enlightening me!" if you trashtalk the stuff they're a fan of.
You're awesome.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm afraid because I just went to wash my hands and I don't even remember why
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I spent a lot of time today and yesterday reading Megg, Mogg & Owl and I feel like my mind has broken a little bit
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, I'm glad last night was the night where I didn't get a lot of sleep. This means I should get a decent amount tonight to be ready for an interview tomorrow.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

74 days.
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Bean wrote:Well, I'm glad last night was the night where I didn't get a lot of sleep. This means I should get a decent amount tonight to be ready for an interview tomorrow.
That's not how it works and you know it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Piter Lauchy wrote: Hm, that's a difficult topic. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "harming people". Your example isn't too clear on that.
If you're talking about stuff that has terrible messages that no one objectively should follow, I can see where you're coming from, but I still think that censorship or attacking the supporters isn't the right way. No one's gonna go "Oh, thanks for enlightening me!" if you trashtalk the stuff they're a fan of.
i think a show with pedophilic undertones that markets itself at children with the intent of portraying to them that an ideal goal for a young girl is to join an abusive entertainment industry is pretty low
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Can't you just say the name already because I still have no idea what you're talking about.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

talk about the new spoiler tags
[ispoiler]Eragon is a Dragon Rider.[/ispoiler]

Hm, yeah, I can see how it would be easy to get spoiled on something just by moving your mouse around. Maybe for actually spoilery stuff it should be in a nested ispoiler (like the above).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Lυka
Pronouns: xe or she

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

im a fan of the new spoiler tags but i wonder how well they translate to mobile interfaces
"i like bugs"
t
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Learning-Timebuster wrote:im a fan of the new spoiler tags but i wonder how well they translate to mobile interfaces
I didn't test them on mobile but I think the method I'm using should work just fine. I believe mobile devices count tapping an object as hovering over it.

I am curious though. How many people prefer them this way as opposed to the old way and how many would prefer the click to open/close method?
momo

Post by momo »

i prefer the click to show
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Post by freakin whatzit »

i think either way's fine, but i'm leaning towards the new spoiler. not having to click makes things a little easier.
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Click to show I'd say is definitely far better.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

I think the new spoilers are the worst thing since unsliced bread.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

At least "click to show" works the same for both desktop and mobile. On my tablet, tapping does open it, but tapping any part of the screen afterwards closes it.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Hover To Show actually has the same "accidental viewing" problem as ispoiler currently does.

For example, hovering over any part of this black bar reveals the entirety of this spoiled message, which if you have no prior knowledge about the fact that THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE means you're forced to see it if the poster is careless.

Then again, split ispoilers somewhat get around this problem. By properly dividing the ispoiler, the fact that

MORTIMER MCMIRE IS THE GRAND INTELLECT

remains relatively unspoiled.

Unfortunately, you can't actually nest this iteration of block spoilers like you can a block and an inline, so you'd have to do this sort of shenaniganry to prevent accidental spoilage that [ispoiler]JULIUS CAESAR INVADED ROME[/ispoiler]

with all that said, I prefer using block spoilers to hide stuff other people may or may not want to see (off-topic stuff, semi-spoilery stuff that I want to discuss that the thread owner should be left blind to, or huge long images), and ispoilers for actual spoiler stuff.

E: Getting ninja'd by about seven people made my comment nonsensical.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Post by freakin whatzit »

i do think it should be colored differently to make it stand out more, like

this spoiler

, which is all black, or the old one which is all white. the new one kinda blends in too much and is harder to notice if you're skimming through. (which is when you'd be most likely to hover over it by accident.)
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

8bitgamer123 wrote:At least "click to show" works the same for both desktop and mobile. On my tablet, tapping does open it, but tapping any part of the screen afterwards closes it.
That's expected behavior. It relies on CSS's hover selector meaning it'll only be open so long as your cursor is over it. With a tablet (and mobile I believe) if you tap it then it opens and your browser counts it as being hovered over.
freakin whatzit wrote:i do think it should be colored differently to make it stand out more, like

this spoiler

, which is all black, or the old one which is all white. the new one kinda blends in too much and is harder to notice if you're skimming through. (which is when you'd be most likely to hover over it by accident.)
The color is definitely on me. I wrote the initial code in JSFiddle so I needed to add in some quick coloring and borders so it wasn't just black words on a white background and nothing else. That's actually really easy to change though and I should be able to just go look at the basic colors in the old spoiler and change it to those.

Also I did realize one issue with these hover spoilers that I think most people would find kinda irritating. If a spoiler is long enough that you'd need to scroll the header for it off-screen then if you accidentally quit mousing over it you have to scroll back up and re-open it.
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

Why... don't we just go back to the way it was and all promise to be good and not break the site?
You're awesome.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

maybe we just shouldnt think about it so much
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Piter Lauchy wrote:Why... don't we just go back to the way it was and all promise to be good and not break the site?
Cause I don't trust you guys and you've already proven (to an extent) you can't just not quote it over and over. No, not you specifically

I might change my mind later
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw