(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by freakin whatzit »

okay guys, i don't think we need to bombard alice with replies saying generally the same stuff over and over again. i think she'd get by now. let's not bother her, please.
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

MaGL thread is making me wish more and more I could forget some people are allowed to talk.
Meanwhile it's probably best for mental health's sake for opposing sides not to discuss Undertale.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Taviturnip gettin' all passive-aggressive up in here
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Pichu is getting all helpful up in here

just kidding. maybe. potentially. 99%. Blargh
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
freakin whatzit

TaviTurnip wrote:Meanwhile it's probably best for mental health's sake for opposing sides not to discuss Undertale.
honestly, i agree. it's just stressful on both sides and won't accomplish anything. let's stop here.
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Jayoshi wrote:The avatar makes you look classy, and gives me the idea there's a franchise you'd like to talk about.
You may or may not be correct about the latter.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Pikabread wrote:Taviturnip gettin' all passive-aggressive up in here
I'm this way because it's my version of trying not to hurt peoples' feelings due to an inner conflict between my own interests and trying to be decent no matter what <_<

That and I usually lack the turnips to tell someone I really think they suck.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

raekuul wrote:
Alice wrote:Maybe I'm just not following what you're saying but what both of you are saying seems to run contrary to what was said earlier. How can the remembering deal even work if there's only one save?
Because the game doesn't actually erase your old files when you reset; it just prevents you from accessing them again from within the game. If you have an Extermination/Genocide save file in there that was reset from the ending, the full pacifist endings get changed a little in the end to reflect the Extermination run you once did.
I wanted to add one last thing.
If I'm not mistaken, you can also get rid of the tainted pacifist ending by deleting certain files. From some quick Googling it does seem a bit tedious to do, but it is possible.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

What I should be doing: Working on my presentation for ELA II.

What I have been doing instead since Google Docs refuses to load: Editing the pictures from Rhythm Heaven Superb ranking screens for my randimg signature picture.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

TaviTurnip wrote:I'm this way because it's my version of trying not to hurt peoples' feelings due to an inner conflict between my own interests and trying to be decent no matter what <_<

That and I usually lack the turnips to tell someone I really think they suck.
Word of advice: passive aggressiveness leads to more than just one person feeling offended.(not implying I did, but I guess some of them might be now) Sometimes it's better to talk to the person directly or not talk at all. if you want you can talk with me about this stuff, I can lend an ear.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

What's going on
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Stuff.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e

Post by Pikabread »

…thangs…
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Pikabread wrote:…thangs…
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

dr_kraid wrote:What's going on
AND I SAID
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

freakin whatzit wrote:you know how most game have something like "file 1, file 2" and so on? instead, this game has a thing where you can choose to either continue or reset. if you get the best ending, then you play again, you undo everything you did, just to see what happens when you do things differently.

basically, the game makes you feel bad for undoing the great things you did just so you can see what it's like to be a jerk to everyone instead.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense I suppose. Is there at least an in-game way to actually completely reset everything so it doesn't affect what you're trying to accomplish negatively?
Wolfolotl wrote:GUESS YOU'LL HAVE TO PLAY UNDERTALE TO FIND OUT-
(Not responding to the rest because it's more or less the same as what freakin whatzit said.)
I've actually had little to no interest in it since I first heard about it honestly. Only reason I was even discussing it here is because how people were talking it looked like they were defending an extremely weird dev choice.
freakin whatzit wrote:okay guys, i don't think we need to bombard alice with replies saying generally the same stuff over and over again. i think she'd get by now. let's not bother her, please.
I dunno, another two or three replies might help, lol. I didn't think I'd actually warrant quite as many replies as I got. Whoops!
momo

Post by momo »

i've been feeling pretty low all day
freakin whatzit

Alice wrote:Is there at least an in-game way to actually completely reset everything so it doesn't affect what you're trying to accomplish negatively?
as far as i'm aware, there's nothing in-game, but the one real change is an extra thing at the end. i can definitely see why that may seem kinda bad, but i guess it doesn't bother me as much.
it's certainly okay if the game isn't your cup of tea, though. as i said, different people like different things out of their games! i'm just relived that this didn't degenerate into an argument, as i was worried might happen.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e

Post by Pikabread »

Rusbojis wrote:i've been feeling pretty low all day
I've been feeling pretty low a lot lately

life is hard okay guys
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

how do people percieve me besides my avatar?

like am i just 'the person that makes really brief posts'?

brevity is the soul of wit tbh
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

Pikabread wrote:
Rusbojis wrote:i've been feeling pretty low all day
I've been feeling pretty low a lot lately

life is hard okay guys
Hey, I mean, "mild despair" is my default emotion on school days, so it's common enough to feel low.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

freakin whatzit wrote:i'm just relived that this didn't degenerate into an argument, as i was worried might happen.
I'm not usually one to argue about personal taste in games for the most part. I'm perfectly okay with people liking things I don't and I'm aware that plenty of the things I like are kinda unpopular too.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think Alice initially thought that it punished you permanently for killing even one thing on accident, but actually the most negative effects only come if you

go out of your way to kill every last single thing just to see what would happen

. It's supposed to be commenting on gamers' needs to 100 percent clear everything when it's only a game, and not even a very fun one at that as attempting to do what I said in the spoilers actually makes the game (intentionally) much more boring. It's kinda like saying, "why the hell did you find the need to do this, exactly?"

I'm not as big an Undertale fan as others here but I respect it and understand why it's beloved. It's neato.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

There's already an Undertale thread elsewhere???

Even so, I want to attempt to clean up the misinformation/miscommunication going around here;

(actual spoilers too)
So Undertale tracks every single action you take and responds to it in some way. Maybe you immediately get some different dialog, or maybe 3 hours later a character will bring up that one thing you did. It even accounts for things that most people would never think of doing; for example, if you deliberately get hit by Undyne's (maybe Papyrus' as well...?) opening attack that's intended to be absurdly easy to block to 'teach' you how their unique mechanic works, she gets confused and tries to hint you towards the proper way to do it, and if you persist in deliberately getting hit by it over and over, eventually she gets fed up and sends a MUCH more difficult attack your way before starting the fight proper.

Even so, if you start over on a new file, it's a brand new start. Your previous actions don't carry over and you're never prevented from following the right path. There are a handful of exceptions: Flowey is the only character to be aware of your ability to save and reload, but this is only relevant near the beginning (he'll remember whether you spared/killed Toriel, whether you reset and changed it, or even if you kept doing the same thing each time, and mock you no matter what you do) and end (spoilers); and completing the evil path all the way to the end will corrupt all future playthroughs (turning the best possible ending into the worst possible ending).
Mind, if you're a dirty cheater you can just delete the save data completely...

But anyway, the point is that the ONLY thing that will lock you out of the true ending is killing someone (doesn't matter if it's a boss or random encounter), and even if you do that, you can still start over from the beginning and do it 'properly' the next time. There are a few places where effects from a past playthrough may come up again (Toriel will be able to guess whether you prefer butterscotch or cinnamon, or if you formerly befriended Undyne, she'll feel that you might be an old friend but quickly dismiss it as you trying to use mind-control powers on her or something), but ultimately these don't affect the game as a whole.

So please don't be put off from Undertale simply because you don't like the idea of the game knowing what you've done. A new game is a new game.

Alice wrote:
This would be like approaching Iji and having it keep track of your kills across saves when on your first try you're basically guaranteed to, at some point, end up in a situation where killing an enemy is unavoidable.
I don't know much about Iji (I haven't watched raocow's play of it), but killing an enemy in Undertale is never unavoidable; right from the start Toriel encourages you not to harm anyone, and there is always a way to Spare instead (okay, there's one exception where you MUST fight but it's intentional/obvious).
Alice wrote:
Kinda odd to see people try and defend such a seemingly random design decision.
It's also not a "random design decision" or done without purpose; the fact that you can save and reload an important part of the game's story, whether you can believe it or not.

dr_kraid wrote:
It's a video game. It is literally meaningless. 'Killing' these things has literally no negative impact on anything ever
Not that I aim to belittle your opinion, but have you ever grown attached to characters in a movie? tv show? book? etc? If so, why should a game be any different, especially when you're the one making the impact, rather than simply watching it? If not... then I suppose that would explain your view.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer? Maybe not, because it's kind of a big wall of text...
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Guys, guys... Hey...

Undertale is a butts.
Thank you. :monstrosity: