(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Learning-Timebuster
First name: Lυka
Pronouns: xe or she

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Learning-Timebuster »

fluctu8ions in spacetime were experienced
"i like bugs"
t
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Today has been a confusing day so far
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

oh man sleep talk
raekuul wrote: When was the last time you had a tilt-table test? I know this is an unusual (and potentially intrusive) line of questioning, but I have similar symptoms and a similar sleeping position - primarily prone instead of supine (on the back) or sideways.
I've never even heard of that test before, guess I'll try and take one eventually.
raekuul wrote: Thin pillow or thick?
I've got 2 thin ones and 1 thick one that I often cycle between every night.
raekuul wrote: Can you flip your mattress? That may be worth trying if it's only worn on one side. Though if it's one of those pillow-top mattresses, it won't help since the padding is only on the one side.
I can try that.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

talkhaus was being odd. Instead of going to talkhaus my chrome kept thinking it was a download and downloading something. Had to clear my cache to actually access the forum.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
momo

Post by momo »

pholtos wrote:talkhaus was being odd. Instead of going to talkhaus my chrome kept thinking it was a download and downloading something. Had to clear my cache to actually access the forum.
ah so i wasn't the only one
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Firefox just said the site was down.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

pholtos wrote:talkhaus was being odd. Instead of going to talkhaus my chrome kept thinking it was a download and downloading something. Had to clear my cache to actually access the forum.
Earlier today the talkhaus went through a series of error pages. Strangely enough, it would fluctuate between different errors during different periods, and accessing it from another talkhaus page and from a search engine would yield different results.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Yup. Stuff definitely happened.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

the website itself must be sentient and does not want a change of administration
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Well hi.
So I recently had a great thing happen. My desk decided to come loose and fling my laptop into my dresser and on the floor and break it beyond decently-priced repair. Yay.
So I suppose now's a good time to get going on buying parts to build a proper gaming PC. So, uh, I guess if anyone hardware-savvy has advice to give me, I'd love to hear it.

I'm on roughly a $1500 budget, but I'm also looking for a machine that can handle these things, which I plan to do regularly:
  • Play games, like CS:GO and possibly modern high-end games, on highest settings, while also recording them with OBS at 720p 60fps (or possibly 1080p, if I can)
  • Edit/render videos
  • Software developing/programming
I have two machines picked out: Now, I've been told by others that the Intel/Nvidia build is superior to the AMD build, which was pretty much what I expected. I guess I just wanna reaffirm that here.

Besides that, my main questions are: Will the build be capable of handling those things I mentioned above? And does it look... good? Like, is there anything I should change? I mean, the part list is 100% up for change if I'm advised to do so. And I guess I'm referring to the latter build since it's probably the better one, but uh, whatever!

And I have a couple random questions:
  • Another thing I'm confused about is the GTX 960 vs GTX 970. They both have 4 GB DDR5 memory and a clock speed of between 1.10 to 1.30Ghz, depending on which particular models you compare. Like, I've read that the 970 is better, but how can that be if their specs are the same? I'm asking this because there's like a $100 difference, and I'd like to keep the cost as low as I can.
  • Another question is with the i7-4790K vs i7-6700K. Their specs are EXACTLY the same except that the 6700 has slightly better integrated graphics (which doesn't concern me in the least). Is there some other big difference that I'm failing to miss? I mean, of the benchmarks I've seen, the 6700 only BARELY outperformed the 4790, so I guess it's not worth the $20 extra?
  • I was heavily considering getting a SSD, but decided against it since I'd really rather not spend the extra $100 if I don't have to. Plus, I mean, it'd only improve the startup time of the stuff I put on it, right? I mean, I know I'd put my OS on it. But say I put a game on it; it'd only decrease the start time of the game, but wouldn't actually improve the performance of said game, correct? I can deal with waiting a little longer for things to start. Plus, I can just buy one in the future and put it in my machine (right?). Which I'll probably do since it sounds like a good idea.
I'd like to give advance thanks to anyone who helps me out here. I really appreciate it. I just wanna make sure that what I end up buying isn't any sort of mistake, haha.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Ivy wrote:the website itself must be sentient and does not want a change of administration
Row row fight the powah
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Frozelar wrote:
I recently installed an R9 390 in my cheap ibuypower machine, and it's been great so far. I haven't tested it with anything really recent like Witcher 3 or GTAV, but it ran Bioshock Infinite at full settings at a consistent 60 fps. I haven't tried recording, however.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

WOW I just found out that a sound card has no effect whatsoever on a USB headset. I've done months of research on everything! HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT!! Well there's a nice $50 saved.
Telamon wrote:I recently installed an R9 390 in my cheap ibuypower machine, and it's been great so far. I haven't tested it with anything really recent like Witcher 3 or GTAV, but it ran Bioshock Infinite at full settings at a consistent 60 fps. I haven't tried recording, however.
Ah, awesome, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for the info!
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Be careful, though... If you live in a place with extreme heat, AMD cards will fry. Should be fine if you live in Canada, Northern Europe, or something approximately as mild, however.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Jayoshi wrote:Be careful, though... If you live in a place with extreme heat, AMD cards will fry. Should be fine if you live in Canada,
But Canada has extreme heat `~`
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

RenaTurnip wrote:But Canada has extreme heat `~`
not everywhere
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

All of the heat in Canada is emitted off of our beautiful, badass new Prime Minister.
Like, have you seen Justin Trudeau?

I'm not gay, but I would.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

I dunno, he kinda looks like he's like 14, and that is SO not my thing.
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

good sound cards are only useful if making music
best one is pretty cheap iirc
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Should've downloaded the talkhaus while you had the chance, lol.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Ah, yeah, I think I will actually end up going with the Intel/Nvidia build. It probably is better.
I also changed my case from the Phanteks Enthoo Pro to the Enthoo Luxe. They're exactly the same except the Luxe has fancy lights and is only $40 more. I figured I might as well put the $50 I saved from the sound card somewhere, right?!
(Here's the build in case everyone's curious.)
Thank you for the advice everyone!
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir

Post by Gardenolva »

Jayoshi wrote:Be careful, though... If you live in a place with extreme heat, AMD cards will fry. Should be fine if you live in Canada, Northern Europe, or something approximately as mild, however.
RIP My cards

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Out of curiosity, is anyone planning on making a mod/admin change thing suggestion thread? If not, I could start one and compile the suggestions so they don't get lost in the Twitter thread.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'd say go for it, we will see what happens!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

En Gardevoir wrote:RIP My cards
Fear not, I have good news for you!

In South East Asian countries, especially ones like Thailand or Vietnam, if you know how, it's possible to find a tech shop which can fix overheated cards for like, the approximate of $30. REALLY good deal in comparison to American prices.

Saying all of this because my family had a HP laptop which had a potentially frying AMD card. When it overheated in Vietnam, we went to a shop to get it fixed easily. When it overheated in America... we bought another computer.
(Formerly Jayoshi)