(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Ivy »

Argumentable wrote:Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too
this is untruthful and anyone who makes you feel otherwise deserves a firm kick to the sternum
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Argue and Content do a good job.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Sturg wrote:Anyone got any tips on how to get attuned to sleeping in a different position? Nearly most of my life I've been used to sleeping on my stomach, but recently I've been waking up feeling really achy in certain spots for which I feel my current sleep position is responsible for. Trying to sleep on my back is super difficult for me.
I usually sleep on my side, and then change the side from time to time to keep the balance. Somehow I think that sleeping with my left side downward makes me fall asleep faster. This might be hard to get used to too though, but maybe it's closer to sleeping on a stomach.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Argumentable wrote:Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too
I'm sorry if my last post made it seem like I didn't like either of you. I actually think you two do a great job, but I just have no clue how well either of you can handle back-end management. I know Alice can, so that's why I mentioned her.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Sturg wrote:Anyone got any tips on how to get attuned to sleeping in a different position? Nearly most of my life I've been used to sleeping on my stomach, but recently I've been waking up feeling really achy in certain spots for which I feel my current sleep position is responsible for. Trying to sleep on my back is super difficult for me.
Try sleeping in a different place? I occasionally switch my mattress around so I'm sleeping the opposite way. You might find it easier to sleep on your side if you aren't in the same exact spot. I dunno. =P
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Sleeping on one's back is impossible, why are you even trying.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Jayoshi wrote:
I'm sorry if my last post made it seem like I didn't like either of you. I actually think you two do a great job, but I just have no clue how well either of you can handle back-end management. I know Alice can, so that's why I mentioned her.
Are we looking for a new back-end manager or a new additional moderator? The technology on this site has been running quite well.
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Willhart wrote: I usually sleep on my side, and then change the side from time to time to keep the balance. Somehow I think that sleeping with my left side downward makes me fall asleep faster. This might be hard to get used to too though, but maybe it's closer to sleeping on a stomach.
I have had times where I immediately go on my side and it feels pretty comfortable, but then after awhile my neck feels a bit stretched out and I convince myself that if I stay like that I'll get a nasty kink. I've also tried using my arm as a form of support but then I just end up with a sore (and sometimes numb) arm.
Clamestarebla wrote: Sleeping on one's back is impossible, why are you even trying.
I'm desperate.
sedron wrote: Try sleeping in a different place? I occasionally switch my mattress around so I'm sleeping the opposite way. You might find it easier to sleep on your side if you aren't in the same exact spot. I dunno. =P
That could be a possible solution. My mattress isn't the greatest honestly and really worn out. Would sleeping in a different direction be sufficient or would rotating the mattress be better?

One thing recently that I have come to want is one of those foam mattresses, although I'm not sure if the purchase would be worth it since I'm unsure how it'd feel after like a week of sleeping.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Willhart wrote:Are we looking for a new back end manager or a new additional moderator? The technology on this site has been running quite well.
Rena is the back-end manager. If Rena is gone, we need a new back-end manager.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Clamestarebla wrote:
Sleeping on my back is my typical sleeping form, I used to sleep on my side til I started getting these pains due to sleeping on my side.

It takes a bit of getting use to but I learned how to sleep on my back. Despite it being the most uncomfortable position to sleep in it's actually the best for you.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Purchase a kotatsu- the answer to your problems.....somehow
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Whatever happened to Limepie, anyway? Are only Argue and Jesuis left?
Personally, I think it wouldn't hurt to have a new mod, at least. Maaaaaybe even two, but with the forum's size, I don't know if that many are necessary. But then again, I'm not sure how often they're on, but with a mod or two extra, you have more people to report stuff to, and the likelihood of getting shit taken care of faster. More coverage, really.

edit: Also, the idea of getting a new back-end admin is a good idea. Who ever it is doesn't need to be super-active, but at least active enough that they know what's going on, and we can contact them when necessary.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
momo

Post by momo »

they aren't purple anymore????

InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

I'll have to second that Alice suggestion. She's been super great over on the iso forum.
That crazy voice dude
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Rusbojis wrote:they aren't purple anymore????

they are, argu went and unmodded himself :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

It's kind of felt lately like the staff is slowly merging into the background or something. Like the legend at the bottom of the main page doesn't even reference mods anymore and hasn't for a while. I've actually been pmed by someone new thinking 'the conquerors' were mods.

It just seems like an odd thing to me, that mods aren't listed there. There's still the team page, but it's not the most visible thing ever.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Isocitration wrote:It's kind of felt lately like the staff is slowly merging into the background or something. Like the legend at the bottom of the main page doesn't even reference mods anymore and hasn't for a while. I've actually been pmed by someone new thinking 'the conquerors' were mods.

It just seems like an odd thing to me, that mods aren't listed there. There's still the team page, but it's not the most visible thing ever.
Usergroups/mods should be listed (and there should be a note that usergroups like the conquerors aren't mods), and I don't get why they were removed in the first place. Mods should be listed for easy access.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Big post
Argumentable wrote:
Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too

Not at all. You both are super cool from what I've seen.

Willhart wrote:
Are we looking for a new back end manager or a new additional moderator? The technology on this site has been running quite well.

Aside from the occasional 503 error, which tends to resolve itself just by reloading, the site runs more or less without a hitch in my experience. Certainly a lot better than certain other sites I could name (500s up the ass). So that much can at least be said.
However, I feel back end stuff is more of a side note to the issue. But then again, given that a lot of the issue revolves around communication and information, this is all very fickle. Functionality may not be central to the issue at hand, but changing up the back end may be necessary from more of a sociopolitical standpoint.
A lot of this feels like stumbling blindly, but we've got to deal with the problems as they come.

All in all, I think we can all agree that we've been due for some sort of change. The problem being narrowing down the best way to go about it. If we need to do some experimenting, so be it.
I can't really comment on the Alice suggestion, since I only really lurk the Iso forums, and not even that often. First hand experience aside, based on what I know of her and the people suggesting, I'm at least willing to defer to them on this as a tenable option.

Sturg wrote:
Anyone got any tips on how to get attuned to sleeping in a different position? Nearly most of my life I've been used to sleeping on my stomach, but recently I've been waking up feeling really achy in certain spots for which I feel my current sleep position is responsible for. Trying to sleep on my back is super difficult for me.

Try sleeping on both sides for a bit. Maybe pull an all-nighter if you can so you're really tired, and force yourself to sleep on your back — even if it's easier on your stomach and you just really want to sleep — to try and start getting used to it?
I don't know. I generally sleep on my sides, but have little trouble on my stomach or back or even sitting up if I'm sleeping on a road trip, especially if I'm worn out. I will say that my back is the toughest — sitting up aside — but that's not saying too terribly much.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

...I didn't even notice Argue wasn't a mod till now. Oops.
He captured!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

As someone else mentioned, if Alice would be willing to, she does a pretty darn good job admin-ing over at iso's forum.
Not to put her on the spot or anything
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Thoughts on a possible Fusion?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

If you mean a fusion of the forums, iso's forum wasn't made to be a "Talkhaus 2.0" or something. Iso just wanted a forum as far as I know.
There isn't a reason to gobble up his forum, especially when there's already a bunch of user overlap.

Unless I'm misinterpreting
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

pholtos wrote:
Clamestarebla wrote:
Sturg wrote:Trying to sleep on my back is super difficult for me.
Sleeping on my back is my typical sleeping form, I used to sleep on my side til I started getting these pains due to sleeping on my side.
It takes a bit of getting use to but I learned how to sleep on my back. Despite it being the most uncomfortable position to sleep in it's actually the best for you.
Really? I could have sworn that's how some folks can get sleep paralysis.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Well this ended up far longer than I intended, lol. Whoops!
FluffiMasta wrote:I wouldn't call myself a "veteran" or something, but I have been around for almost 2 years now (just a bit more than 2 months) and I got to meet some of the now gone long-time users, but I gotta admit, it's never a bad thing if stuff changes. Sure, some of these users were around for a long time and left their marks, but what about all the new users, those who stick around, those who will one day be long-time users themselves?

We shouldn't look back all the time, but forward. A community changes over time, and so do people.
I think you're raelly missing the point of what everyone is saying. The issue isn't change at all. The issue is entirely bad change. When the people in charge of the forums end up running off long time regulars due to unpopular decisions, especially when those unpopular decisions end up making plenty of regulars feel like their voices go unheard and like the community is no longer for them, it's a pretty big issue.
Jayoshi wrote:While I don't want to force someone else into the responsibility, I think Alice might be a pretty good admin in place of Rena. There may be a few other members on this site that are good at back-end maintenance, but Alice is the only one I can think of who has experience in this area, while also having a good sense of judgement in other areas necessary to run a forum.

... I'm only saying this because I feel like it'd be selfish if I suggested myself. I'm also not that good at hosting websites yet, because I have neither the resources nor the knowledge to do that. Not that I haven't handled phpbb, but I've only ever handled a phpbb site by hosts such as prophpbb or freeforums.org.
Ashan wrote:As someone else mentioned, if Alice would be willing to, she does a pretty darn good job admin-ing over at iso's forum.
Not to put her on the spot or anything
If it was just dealing with administrating the forums themselves I could definitely do it. Most of my experience dealing with that side of forums comes from phpBB sites like this anyways and I'm fairly experienced at it. My biggest strength there though comes from the fact I'm always active on a site I'm responsible for and I try to communicate clearly with the site's users and make sure their voices are heard. That's probably the single biggest reason that people have brought me up here actually.

If it came to anything on the actual hosting side though that'd be a lot more complicated. That side I'm nowhere near as experienced at (Iso's forums is actually the first site I've ever personally dealt with the hosting side of things with) and definitely not with a site anywhere near as big as the talkhaus. On top of that dealing with domain name transfers (if that was to become an issue) is something I've never dealt with at all and if hosting had to change then the server IsoNation is hosted on is probably nowhere near good enough to host the talkhaus. And that's not to mention I don't know if you can even have two domain names on the same server. I'd assume so but it's, again, something I've never dealt with before.
raocow wrote:honestly I'M seeing a lot of your points, yeah. Hmm.

I guess my fear is that since rena controls EVERYTHING on the back-end, I'm not sure what will happen with the site, you know?

But I agree with the majority here, perhaps a change of hand would be good. Like the admin doesn't necessarily need to be super present, but at least communicate a bit more.

Alright.
Perhaps the best option is to let Rena keep hosting things and split what her current job is on the site into two different ones. The hosting side of things then the actual site side of things. I don't think Rena is the sort of person you'd actually have to fear for the site, though it could become a bit of a clusterfuck for awhile while things get sorted out or something.
Honestly I can't recall really seeing anyone criticize you guys in particular. The issue has always been that since there's so little transparency on the side of the moderation anything that makes the any part of the moderation look bad ends up applying to you guys too.
Ashan wrote:If you mean a fusion of the forums, iso's forum wasn't made to be a "Talkhaus 2.0" or something. Iso just wanted a forum as far as I know.
There isn't a reason to gobble up his forum, especially when there's already a bunch of user overlap.

Unless I'm misinterpreting
Yeah, that whole talkhaus 2.0 deal was never intended. There's simply a lot of user overlap and IsoNation becoming a thing just happened to have fairly good timing for some people to seriously consider leaving the talkhaus in the first place.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Raekuul used Sleep Talk! Raekuul used Wall of Text!
Sturg wrote:
raekuul: I do have exercise induced asthma if that's any different.

When was the last time you had a tilt-table test? I know this is an unusual (and potentially intrusive) line of questioning, but I have similar symptoms and a similar sleeping position - primarily prone instead of supine (on the back) or sideways.

Sturg wrote:
Willhart wrote:I usually sleep on my side, and then change the side from time to time to keep the balance. Somehow I think that sleeping with my left side downward makes me fall asleep faster. This might be hard to get used to too though, but maybe it's closer to sleeping on a stomach.
I have had times where I immediately go on my side and it feels pretty comfortable, but then after awhile my neck feels a bit stretched out and I convince myself that if I stay like that I'll get a nasty kink. I've also tried using my arm as a form of support but then I just end up with a sore (and sometimes numb) arm.
Thin pillow or thick?
Sturg wrote:
sedron wrote:Try sleeping in a different place? I occasionally switch my mattress around so I'm sleeping the opposite way. You might find it easier to sleep on your side if you aren't in the same exact spot. I dunno. =P
That could be a possible solution. My mattress isn't the greatest honestly and really worn out. Would sleeping in a different direction be sufficient or would rotating the mattress be better? One thing recently that I have come to want is one of those foam mattresses, although I'm not sure if the purchase would be worth it since I'm unsure how it'd feel after like a week of sleeping.
Can you flip your mattress? That may be worth trying if it's only worn on one side. Though if it's one of those pillow-top mattresses, it won't help since the padding is only on the one side.
TheFinalSentinel wrote:I don't know. I generally sleep on my sides, but have little trouble on my stomach or back or even sitting up if I'm sleeping on a road trip, especially if I'm worn out. I will say that my back is the toughest — sitting up aside — but that's not saying too terribly much.
I can sleep sitting up, but I have difficulty sleeping supine. Though I may have narcoleptic tendencies, as once I fell asleep in the middle of a band rehearsal where I was the only tuba player in the band (and had a non-silent part).[/spoiler]

Regarding the Admin/Owner split. The owner has admin rights by default, as they're a Zeroth Administrator. That said, owners generally delegate the admin role to someone else and focus on making sure the site stays up.

How many people involved with the discussion have actual experience with forum administration? I ran a phpBB 2 forum for a couple years so I have experience with the admin panel type of work, though not with moderating work (there were a total of five members and four posts). Admin panels in phpBB 2 let you do stuff like moving folders around, playing with forum modifications, and managing user groups. Not something you'd want an inexperienced admin mucking around with if you're in Rena's position - you need someone known to be trustworthy and in alignment with your interests.

You'll notice that I did not say that admins were to be unbiased. That's because an admin's job is to maintain the forum. The job of being unbiased falls to the moderator, whose job is to maintain the userbase. While bans are managed from the Admin level of authority, for the sort of things we end up dealing with admins (should) rely heavily on moderators to determine if a ban is warranted. So the question is, do we need another Admin, or do we need more presence from the Mods?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024