(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Personally I think the only permaban-worthy attitude is the bob-hoice bullshit. There are a lot of bans where I've disagreed with but rena would just dismiss it or claim xxphobia or other shit that would just fly completely over my head, especially on bans like yogui's. Like, again, I just have no clue what Ashan's ban refers to and I'm even more clueless about what rena is doing or thinking recently, and it doesn't even seems like she bothers with the forums anymore.

Also, since someone was wondering, suckhacker DOES get banned for a few days/a week whenever he gets too obnoxious like a few days ago.

I just can't bring myself to permaban him because once in a while he's actually funny

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Alice wrote:
Leet wrote:See, but I wouldn't go that far either. Saying "completely disagree" implies there is much moderation going on at all, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Those two bans with no transparency were big mistakes that need to be acknowledged, but they don't really happen that often. We're not a big enough forum for it to be a constant problem, because events like that just aren't frequent. They are still serious of course, otherwise I wouldn't have written a paragraph or two about it. But its not like the site's a complete failure either, we just need to not dance around things anymore.
My problem is they were completely avoidable mistakes and ones that were directly exacerbated by the exact issues basically every user who opposed the removal of the rules was saying would become an issue. The people who run a community and are responsible for taking care of said community are only going to end up harming the community as a whole if they refuse to listen to the members of the community.
Do you think we would see some of the regulars come back, if the rules were returned back to the announcements with some modifications? The announcements tab will look pretty empty once the (MaGL X2 Relay Level) is removed from there.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Willhart wrote:Do you think we would see some of the regulars come back, if the rules were returned back to the announcements with some modifications? The announcements tab will look pretty empty once the (MaGL X2 Relay Level) is removed from there.
I don't know how many would be willing to come back but it would be a start to help avoid driving off any more of the regulars at the very least.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I wouldn't call myself a "veteran" or something, but I have been around for almost 2 years now (just a bit more than 2 months) and I got to meet some of the now gone long-time users, but I gotta admit, it's never a bad thing if stuff changes. Sure, some of these users were around for a long time and left their marks, but what about all the new users, those who stick around, those who will one day be long-time users themselves?

We shouldn't look back all the time, but forward. A community changes over time, and so do people.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

GlitchedGhost wrote:
Alice wrote:
TheFinalSentinel wrote:Talkhaus isn't sinking. I think it's just not as alive as it used to be. Like a middle aged man, perhaps.
It may not be sinking but it has definitely gone downhill and a fair few regulars have left due to how things were being run. I'll probably be around until either the site dies or I get permabanned personally. I completely disagree with the way the site is being run at the moment but leaving the site isn't going to help the matter at all so I really don't see a reason to. Instead I'll stick around and try to enjoy myself while voicing my concerns with the way it's being run.
I feel pretty much the same way.
I feel bad to not have anything else to say but samesies
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Why is rena still an admin if she doesn't frequent the forum any more? That seems foolish to me.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

REMOVE ADMINS
STANDARD USER UPRISING
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think that RenaTurnip has been doing great work as an abministrator during this year.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

The forum is only as good as you make it, users :D So make it the place you want it to be!

In other news, I attended a jobs fair for scientists today, which ended up being a silly experience

- Not one stall gave me any numbers on starting wages for graduates. They would say "competitive" and wouldn't even give a broad "in between x and y" value. The representative from Deloitte even said "I'm not allowed talk about it"!

- HR and PR teams from high tech manufacturing industries decided to run the stalls themselves, even though they clearly had no idea of what happens on the work floor. I told a representative of an electrical engineering company that I was a physics graduate, and she replied "sorry, we don't hire physicians". A rep from a company that makes semiconductor electronics components didn't know how plasma physics would be useful to them (even though their chips are made by plasma etching and deposition), saying he's just "looking for engineers".

- What's the point of setting up an information stall when all you do is say "visit our website for information about the jobs"?!

- One software development company had a huge, professional banner with an old Chuck Norris meme on it (about how he can stop infinite loops). Yep. Another had a banner asking "Do you consider yourself a 'Solutionist' (TM)?", with information leaflets too vague to work out what the company actually did.

Good times!
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

dr_kraid wrote:Why is rena still an admin if she doesn't frequent the forum any more? That seems foolish to me.
Yeah... it really doesn't make much sense really. With no real active admin, and even before she left, the suggestion box was taken out and suggestions were flat out not allowed anymore, I don't see why we're just standing here throwing problems out when the causes of these problems don't hang around anymore. I suggested in the past that Rena could give admin power to someone else who isn't as challenged by life (at the time) and that has more time to dedicate to the forums, but that fell on deaf ears apparently. So yeah, rethrowing that suggestion out there. If anyone would like to step up, now would be the time I guess.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

suckhacker for admin
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ivy wrote:suckhacker for admin
someone with credibility preferably
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

i'm glad clam is here to make decisions regarding forum admins
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Ivy wrote:i'm glad clam is here to make decisions regarding forum admins
your sass is not optimal and therefore won't be accepted on speedruns.net
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

I seriously think that rena should get some time off while she's dealing with life difficulties. She's not been able to fully manage the forum and there have been sufferings in how we've dealt with issues lately.

Of course we don't have any serious way to promote any ideas, so… yeah.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

While I don't want to force someone else into the responsibility, I think Alice might be a pretty good admin in place of Rena. There may be a few other members on this site that are good at back-end maintenance, but Alice is the only one I can think of who has experience in this area, while also having a good sense of judgement in other areas necessary to run a forum.

... I'm only saying this because I feel like it'd be selfish if I suggested myself. I'm also not that good at hosting websites yet, because I have neither the resources nor the knowledge to do that. Not that I haven't handled phpbb, but I've only ever handled a phpbb site by hosts such as prophpbb or freeforums.org.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Pikabread wrote:I seriously think that rena should get some time off while she's dealing with life difficulties. She's not been able to fully manage the forum and there have been sufferings in how we've dealt with issues lately.
Of course we don't have any serious way to promote any ideas, so… yeah.
there is one way... we must send Patapon Questions
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

honestly I'M seeing a lot of your points, yeah. Hmm.

I guess my fear is that since rena controls EVERYTHING on the back-end, I'm not sure what will happen with the site, you know?

But I agree with the majority here, perhaps a change of hand would be good. Like the admin doesn't necessarily need to be super present, but at least communicate a bit more.

Alright.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

The talkhaus seems to be going through a transition phase and I have no clue what to say about it.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Anyone got any tips on how to get attuned to sleeping in a different position? Nearly most of my life I've been used to sleeping on my stomach, but recently I've been waking up feeling really achy in certain spots for which I feel my current sleep position is responsible for. Trying to sleep on my back is super difficult for me.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Argumentable wrote:Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too
woah what since when?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Sturg: Asthmatic?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Argumentable wrote:Well, apparently people don't like me or jesuiscontent so I guess you'll have to find some mods while you're at it too
I actually trust you both. You've been moderators for a long time.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

raekuul: I do have exercise induced asthma if that's any different.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER