(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: Twitter Thread

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i just think it's funny that, as far as i understand it, the "free market capitalism" that we have now, and that so many politicians here are trying to protect, is essentially an individual-focused form of mercantilism, the system which adam smith proposed capitalism in order to replace
Last edited by Whimsical Calamari 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Argumentable wrote:I'm not even talking about issues, it's just like there's a tons of people I have on my friends list and I've said maybe a few things to them then nothing for months. That's all.
Oh. Well, I misunderstood that one then. Sorry about that.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

sedron wrote:
pholtos wrote:I'm not exactly sure what I meant.

I just... think it's stupid that the rich get richer in this style of economy.

I also think celebrities are odd and I'm unsure why they are popular/wealthy as a result of simply being popular. Eh.
To the best of my understanding, a lot of the issue with the disparity between the upper and lower classes has to do with money going to the wealthy and then just not moving away. The basis of ideas like trickle down economics is that the wealthy having money is good because they will use that money, thereby moving it to the less wealthy. I think that's good in theory, but doesn't really work out because that money just isn't being spent.

Feel free to correct me on that, Shemp, since I trust you know what you're talking about (also everything in your last post was really well put.)
Piketty's explanation is a good one. I'm not going to go into it in detail because it's very long and I can't phrase it as well as he can, but the gist is that if the rate of return on capital is greater than the rate of growth in the economy generally then the dynamics of the system will push towards an increase in inequality, and that the greater the difference between the two is, the stronger the push will be. This holds true in all economic systems, not just capitalism, and the opposite is also true for when the rate of return is less than the growth rate. So, for example, when economic growth in the advanced economies substantially outpaced the rate of return on capital in the "trente glorieuses" of the end of WW2 through to the mid-70s, inequality substantially decreased. Similarly, when advanced economies slowed down dramatically after that point, and financial deregulation increased the rate of return on capital, inequality has substantially increased. You can see the ultimate example of this theory in feudal Europe of the medieval period: growth was virtually nil while the rate of return on capital was substantial. The result: a hyper-wealthy aristocracy and crushing poverty for everyone else. As for why it works - you can read the original for the reasons.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Horikawa Otane wrote:However, McDonalds burgers, a bizarre standard that seems to have taken root in modern economics
Because the Big Mac Index is the simplest way to explain purchasing power parity to people and is substantially simpler to calculate than the more accurate basket model, since the basket varies from country to country and there is no single agreed methodology for calculating PPP anyway. Of course the Big Mac Index ignores cultural differences and tax differences, and ignores the relative costs of labour and capital, but it's still relatively accurate.

Also, until Russia attacked Ukraine, no two countries to both have Maccas had ever fought each other.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

Whenever I try to raise my self-esteem and speak up, people close to me just call me egotistical and self-important.
When I don't do that and speak up, people close to me call me pessimistic, depressing and sometimes nihilistic.
What do you want from me, existence?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Doctor Shemp wrote:You're incorrect and here's why...
[quote="Horikawa Otane""]You're incorrect and here's why...[/quote]

Thank you both for explaining it to me - with all that said, I still think lowering the cost of living will do just as much to break this disparity that's going on that raising the minimum wage will do.

As for why we're getting trickle-up instead of trickle-down,
D&C 121:39 wrote:We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
@Oddwrath: Be whoever you normally would be. If they call you egotistical or self-important, ignore that and carry on. If they call you pessimistic, depressing, or nihilistic, ignore that as well.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Oddwrath wrote:Whenever I try to raise my self-esteem and speak up, people close to me just call me egotistical and self-important.
When I don't do that and speak up, people close to me call me pessimistic, depressing and sometimes nihilistic.
What do you want from me, existence?
People are extremely odd when it comes to that sort of thing. I've struggled with the same conflict but with people telling me I don't focus on myself enough and should be a little more selfish and then when I decide to take their advice and do something for myself for once I get called selfish. It's frustrating as hell. At some point I stopped caring and just mostly do whatever now because even when I'm acting selflessly people tend to take it for granted anyways and I've had issues on multiple occasions where someone has tried to take advantage of that.

Ignoring the rambling there what you should take away from it is: Just do whatever feels right to you. Relying on others to encourage you can help a lot but if they're being contradictory you just have to make up your own mind on the matter and disregard their opinion.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

If you were a cyborg, what body part would you like most as your cyborg part?
I'd prefer a cyber eye. It just seems the coolest.
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Can't we just make it illegal to be a multimillionare or something (I know that's not how it works).

Ahw man things arrived in the mail:
Now I can read about video games while I play video games and talk about video games. Video games!

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Snakebite969 wrote:If you were a cyborg, what body part would you like most as your cyborg part?
Probably a forearm in terms of what I really what due to it's complexity, but in terms of cost, maybe an artificial heart.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Twitter Thread

Post by Sorel »

@cats-on-ice: I have that feeling as well, and to be honest, it bothers me quite a lot. It's like, I know what I need to change, it's just that I have no motivation to do it.

@Oddwrath: Unless there is at least one person who doesn't contradict themself, do whatever you feel like... well, not everything of course, but you get the idea (hopefully)

@Snakebite: I have a slight bit of a phobia of robots and stuff, but I think a cyber-eye and a microchip that boosts your intelligence would be nice.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Bean wrote:
Argumentable wrote:I'm not even talking about issues, it's just like there's a tons of people I have on my friends list and I've said maybe a few things to them then nothing for months. That's all.
Oh. Well, I misunderstood that one then. Sorry about that.
Nah, you didn't misunderstand, more like I just misspoke. It's like two separate but similar thoughts crammed together. I have mentioned the former to a couple people and the ones that have helped really did end up helping a bit.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

omg sips is still playing fallout w his dumb (literally) mike tyson character

e: i was going to link the current episode but actually ill just link all four in case any1 is interested

InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Gonna be without Internet for a while again :'(
That crazy voice dude
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Good luck, Mr The Skeleton.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

RIP in pieces like Dracula in Castlevania 2

Also the 3DS eShop is playing Song of Storms instead of the regular music right now. It's clearly as a "1 day until MM3D" thing but it's SUCH a blown opportunity to play this song:

Song of Storms isn't even from Majora's Mask specifically, it's from Ocarina of Time. And if they were going to use any song from OoT, they should have at least used this one since it's relevant to shopping:

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

What the fuck, I swear that game was announced only five minutes ago
Sorel
In the shadows

Twitter Thread

Post by Sorel »

Dammit I still have no money to buy the game

Why are you doing this to me, cruel wooooooooorld

EDIT: The german eshop plays the shop theme. At least they got what fits the shopping feeling.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

I may be going away for a while for medical reasons. Kinda painful medical reasons. Hopefully not.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Dislocated my right shoulder today. Good times.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach

Post by zmonbobbo »

Dang, hope everybody feels better soon!
I'm probably driving right now.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Ugh I feel like dumb luck things keep happening lately
Just why this
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Double post because I'm cool
But I found out my best friend that's been in an fairly emotionally abusive relationship with her partner for almost 5 years finally talked to him about taking a LONG break. She's finally seen the light with how he's abusive and hypocritical and whatnot, and is absolutely sick of it.
While it isn't an actual break up, this is pretty close, and she's fairly biased about not getting back together afterwards. I'm so happy I almost cried.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

on my way to buy majoras mask 3d, which I preordered.

So apparently that means I get a free paperweight
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage