smw centralirc.cat.biopge project

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

Postby pholtos » 9 months ago

I lost the 20 or so I randomly gained a few days ago. o/
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV
Pokemon Gimmick Free For All Feel free to join in the fun! :3

ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.
Currently playing:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 8 months ago

Anyone else having comments just outright not show up?

ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Alice
💙
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 8 months ago

pholtos wrote:Anyone else having comments just outright not show up?
I've been having a lot of issues with Youtube even wanting to load videos. Occasionally this results in comments not loading too since it's another of those things that doesn't load until after the rest of the page does.

Ashan
It's easier than you think to look pioneer .
First name: Hayden

Postby Ashan » 8 months ago

That sounds great, I hope I get this bug

Bean

Postby Bean » 8 months ago

Only if I delete my history for the last hour (tired of having a political candidate's name pop up in my search bar for instance).

Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Postby Telamon » 8 months ago

Love having this "Play on TV" button on my player now, since I'll never ever use it...

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 8 months ago

This is overall a chrome issue but if I have chrome maximized on my first monitor if I go fullscreen for anything the top and left side are my desktop for around 10 pixels each. If I don't have chrome maximized it fullscreens fully with no problem.

Scratch that, when not maximized fullscreen takes up the whole screen but clicking into my other monitor causes a sliver of not the video to show up on the right side of the screen. Joy.
Scratch that, it was an issue with a program which also had issues with two monitors until I got it to permanently start on that monitor, then it seemed to not do it anymore.

I wish chrome would get multi-monitor support already.

ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Postby Truhan » 8 months ago

Looks like TBR is suing the shit out of a guy that keeps false DMCAing them.

https://www.gofundme.com/TBRDefenseFund
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

SAJewers
A2XT Guy

Postby SAJewers » 7 months ago

DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!

Bean

Postby Bean » 7 months ago

On the front of those awful channels that only exist to hurt other people with fake drama that's usually not even true, good, but it goes too far the other way and could affect legitimate news channels.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 7 months ago

Bean wrote:On the front of those awful channels that only exist to hurt other people with fake drama that's usually not even true, good, but it goes too far the other way and could affect legitimate news channels.
as well as anyone who swears even once because vague rules are like that
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Postby onpon4 » 7 months ago

Just got this in my feed reader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygEgM6tsfC0

So, if controversial or sensitive subjects are not advertiser-friendly under any circumstances... what is advertiser-friendly, exactly? You could contrive just about anything to be one of these two things.

Though in practice, YouTube is a despotism anyway (Google ultimately calls the shots), so I don't know if this will really make a difference.
Last edited by onpon4 on 01 Sep 2016, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Postby Truhan » 7 months ago

SAJewers wrote:RIP raocow ad revenue?

https://twitter.com/Swagkage/status/771043492915216384
It is stupid, but raocow doesn't swear or anything. He occasionally talks about destroying the world though, so that will probably get him blacklisted.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

SAJewers
A2XT Guy

Postby SAJewers » 7 months ago

Truhan wrote:

It is stupid, but raocow doesn't swear or anything. He occasionally talks about destroying the world though, so that will probably get him blacklisted.
Not in English, but he does use quebec french profanity
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Postby Truhan » 7 months ago

SAJewers wrote:
Truhan wrote:

Not in English, but he does use quebec french profanity
Yeah, but I don't think anyone at Google knows French.

onpon4
Sharing is good.

"Jesus Hell"?

Anyway, the terms are so vague that they can literally be applied to anything. Everything is controversial to someone. For example, if these terms were truly enforced equally on everyone, all of the following would be deemed violations and not advertiser-friendly:

* Anything about cooking (some people are against cooking food)
* Anything about makeup (some people are against makeup)
* Anything about video games (some people are against video games)
* Anything about science (some people reject science)
* Anything about any book, film, TV show, game, or any other creative work (different people have different opinions about any work)
* Anything about children (some people don't like kids, some people love kids)
* Anything about the shape of the Earth (some people believe that the Earth is flat)
* Anything about the moon landing (some people believe the moon landing was a hoax)
* Anything about medicine (some people reject medicine)
* Anything about artificial intelligence (there are all kinds of contrasting opinions about AI)
* Anything in any way involving a human (some people believe humanity is bad)

So the rule is, in practice, "whatever Google doesn't like".
I don't think anyone at Google knows French.
HA!

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Leet » 7 months ago

to be honest though who is watching youtube without adblock (don't reply to this to tell me that you do, i cannot fathom how anybody could stand glimpsing the aura of capitalism before every single video)

the thing is this is probably gonna have to be done on a case by case basis. likelihood is this is only going to affect, like... anything that's anywhere near relating to the real world and the mainstream of pop culture. google isn't going to comb through every video on the website to find all of the 'fuck's or whatever

yeah, they are potentially abusable terms, and i can see bad things coming out of them, but it has no relevance to a channel like raocow's
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

TaviTurnip
I'm just here to remind people I'm here
Abministrator
First name: Rena, despite assumptions

Postby TaviTurnip » 7 months ago

I liked ads before learning how potentially hazardous they were (and before Twitch started loading its ads in fucking 1440p and grinding my old machine to a burning halt) because I got to make fun of how bad the ads were and also celebrate the 1/1000 times I got something amazing like a Japanese Coca-Cola commercial or when Google was convinced I was French or Japanese and played me any number of foreign ads. So there's that.

But uh yeah YouTube is a good website oh hrrhh-*violent coughing noises*
I'm just here to annoy you so that you aren't here instead.

onpon4
Sharing is good.

I don't even use the official player (I use ViewTube, unless it's an age-restricted video in which case I download with youtube-dl and watch with a locally installed video player), so I couldn't even watch the ads if I wanted to.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 7 months ago

So apparently if someone else posts your videos on youtube, it is categorized under privacy instead of impersonation or scam.

"Content with personal information or videos of you that have been uploaded without your permission, can be considered as invasion of privacy."

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/142443

Seems to be a 6 step process and fairly hidden. Took a while to find, due to way it is set up to look like an answer.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Rockythechao
Shapemorph the titlecard into the video, Hoeloe
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Rockythechao » 7 months ago

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

We've been seeing more pushback through movements like WTFU lately, and that's a nice start, but nothing sends a stronger message here in the good ol' US of A like everyone banding together to sue the butt off someone.
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

Important A2XT posts/discussions & resources

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 7 months ago

Rockythechao wrote:I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

We've been seeing more pushback through movements like WTFU lately, and that's a nice start, but nothing sends a stronger message here in the good ol' US of A like everyone banding together to sue the butt off someone.
They're a business, so they're allowed to get away with it.

It isn't illegal in any way to have shitty, vauge rules for your website.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

Rockythechao

Grounder wrote:
Rockythechao wrote:I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

They're a business, so they're allowed to get away with it.

It isn't illegal in any way to have shitty, vauge rules for your website.
I mean, yes and no. My understanding is that they've had the stuff responsible for the current controversy in effect for a year but hadn't updated the terms of service to reflect that until now.

You're right in that there's probably no case against Google for dumb rules alone, and it was kind of thoughtless of me to suggest as much. I do still wonder if a suit over the way they've handled informing users of those rules and conducting themselves in line with them would hold any water. Logically, if two parties have a contract and of them doesn't stick to their part of it and/or changes the terms for the other party without them having any means of finding out... that'd be the basis for a legitimate grievance, right?

It seems like in many of these cases folks don't learn about the policy changes until they're affected by them. To be fair, I don't know whether it's usually a matter of them not being informed or they were and just hadn't been paying attention. They could've even been violating policy before the change and Google only just decided to hold them accountable, in which case they user is definitely in the wrong... though that also goes back to whether being inconsistent with enforcing rules is actionable or not.

idk. I'm probably working under some pretty erroneous assumptions here. For all my talk, I'm definitely no expert on the matter.
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

onpon4
Sharing is good.

Google can do whatever it wants with its servers. They don't need to let anyone upload videos, or even continue to run the service at all. If you don't like it, you can run your own video hosting site (and you can even do it quite easily thanks to Mediagoblin; heck, some people already do that, e.g. goblinrefuge.com). You just have to be prepared to deal with the associated costs.
I do still wonder if a suit over the way they've handled informing users of those rules and conducting themselves in line with them would hold any water.
Nope. No U.S. law requires any website to have a clear or consistent policy at all. If raocow decided to censor all posts that contain the word "world" and ban all users whose usernames include "world" or some variation, he has a right to do so, regardless of whether or not the rules allow the use of the word "world".

Rockythechao

Mediagoblin, eh? Interesting... I definitely am not prepared to run my own hosting site, but it's neat that that service exists.

But yeah, fair enough. And I mean, even if there was a case against them, they're a massive corporation with tons of money, likely have some of the best lawyers, etc etc etc.

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Return to “the gazebo”