(shouting)

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
kilon

Re: Ohno! Youtube changed again!

Post by kilon »

The 200 character limit isn't on every video. Yet. But that isn;t that bad if a change actually. The majority of the comments has less than 200 comments and longer walls of text are usually not read anyways.
Which doesn't mean that having the option to use more characters should be gotten rid of.

Also the latest update to the sub page is making things even less easy to use.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I wish the new video player format would kick in on all videos already. The having to switch video qualities to make sure the entire video will pre-load/buffer is kind of annoying. Honestly, this new change feels just like I thought it would be. So many features that could be good but were thrown down in such an odd fashion that it winds up being worse than the old format we had.

It sucks, too, because they've really come a long way with the site since 2008 when even Viddler was a better host for videos.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I've been testing out the new channel page layout, and that's one area that appears to be just fine. Yeah, you lose out on the customization of colors and whatnot, but I like the overall layout a bit more. There, I said something nice about this forced change.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

So now replying to a comment doesn't do "@otherpersonsname" but instead a little "as a reply to otherpsersonsname" appears at the bottom of your comment.

Interesting???????????? Question mark.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I just ran over to this thread to see if anyone else noticed this yet.

FINALLY! I useful update! I've always hated having to memorize the person's username that was replied to, click "show all comments", then using Ctrl+F to find the original person's comment. >_>
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I like the watch later button on videos even though I've never used it yet. i might start :)
kilon

Post by kilon »

I also like with longer videos (and also some shorter ones) you can get a preview when hovering over the progress bar. Can make searching for certain sections a bit easier sometimes.
Also the little markers that indicate every 15 or 30 minute mark.

What, me positive about something youtube? Don't you worry, I'll be back for more negativism.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yes, that is a good thing. They also have a pop-up progress bar for longer videos, too, which makes it easier to land on the exact second you want to watch in case you missed something. Again, there are good ideas here. I just want more of them!
freelop

Post by freelop »

As ganon said the watch later button has been returned to more how it used to be which I like as I use that a lot.
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

Ashanmaril wrote:I just ran over to this thread to see if anyone else noticed this yet.

FINALLY! I useful update! I've always hated having to memorize the person's username that was replied to, click "show all comments", then using Ctrl+F to find the original person's comment. >_>
You know "sort by thread" has been available for years
ImageImage
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

BTYM wrote:
Ashanmaril wrote:I just ran over to this thread to see if anyone else noticed this yet.

You know "sort by thread" has been available for years
Except "sort by thread" is sorted by the date the original comment was posted, making it really hard to find the thread for videos with 10,000 + comments. Even if you command/Ctrl+f, you might have to go through several pages of hundreds of comments to find the one you are looking for.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

^
That.
Either way, it's a lot easier to just click the "in response to this comment" button or whatever.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

I gotta agree, I love that new feature as well.
However, it's like putting a cherry on top of a mountain of shit. Doesn't change much, it just looks slightly prettier (or the cherry looks shittier, depending on how you view it).
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

What is more useful to me is the dynamically changing video box size during playback. Before the screen was tiny, even with HD videos, but now it scales depending on the size of the monitor you are using. So I don't have to go full-screen to see anything. There's a couple of bugs with it as always, but it's generally pretty robust and extremely beneficial for looking at videos on my desktop.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Another feature that was taken out that needs to be brought back in is the Official Series Playlist for videos. It made things a lot easier for people to find other videos in a series, especially since they won't let you watch videos on the channel pages anymore.
dashta

Post by dashta »

YES

I don't know why they got rid of either of those features, but it's making it harder for me to watch anything.
VV My Channel, shameless advertising FTW! VV
http://www.youtube.com/user/daeshta?feature=mhee
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm only doing this because Yonowaaru made me, blame him.
kilon

Post by kilon »

gamercal wrote:What is more useful to me is the dynamically changing video box size during playback. Before the screen was tiny, even with HD videos, but now it scales depending on the size of the monitor you are using. So I don't have to go full-screen to see anything. There's a couple of bugs with it as always, but it's generally pretty robust and extremely beneficial for looking at videos on my desktop.
Yes, but it doesn't work out for all videos. Example, the Yoshi Island video's are too pixelated for me if I watch it in the large player. And it's a bit too small for the small player. The previous large player was ideal for videos like this. So why not make it an option? the medium player.
BTYM

Post by BTYM »

Why do they keep taking out the things that make watching videos convenient?!
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I've found another glitch that is kind of annoying. On a lot of videos, I'll be missing two random comments and can't see them no matter what. I know they're still there due to doing a quick back check. I know, minor at best, but remember that I'm the one that does the whole "voting" thing for levels and you can see where this could potentially become a problem.

Luckily, someone else already made a thread on it in the new Google/YouTube help forums. I hope that one gets corrected soon because it's an annoying bug.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ran into yet another glitch with playlists lately. They seem to be going all out of order, and I can't figure out why that is. At first, I thought it was because I chose a video that wasn't the first as the playlist thumbnail, but nope. Even some that were right aren't now. I've reorganized them, and I'll see if they stay in working condition, but it's another error out of nowhere that drives me nuts about this site.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

A few weeks ago I had a problem with playlists that they would randomly play the first video in the playlist regardless of how far I'm in, or what literal youtube page I'm on. Haven't had that problem in awhile, not since I first had it.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Youtube you son of a bitch. Sorted some of my playlists by something arbitrary, I liked them how they were thanks.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

AUS wrote:Youtube (ARGH). Sorted some of my playlists by something arbitrary, I liked them how they were thanks.
This is what I was talking about a couple of weeks ago, and it's still going on. I had five days in a row of peace only to find more playlists out of order than ever before. Considering I have around 70 up altogether, you can see how this can be a pain to go back and sort around half of those.

Edit: Oh, and don't bother fixing them if that wasn't obvious already as they're bound to go back into that scrambled order again.
SnackJackSJ
*Pressing controller buttons and plucking guitar strings furiously*
First name: Adam

Post by SnackJackSJ »

I don't see what the big deal is. It makes it easier to view peoples videos. A lot of people just need to stop acting like children and deal with it. Because making "F*** New youtube" videos will not change anything.
Whoa! Jack plays Mario Hacks?!
peace, love, and music
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

SnackJackSJ wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. It makes it easier to view peoples videos. A lot of people just need to stop acting like children and deal with it. Because making "F*** New youtube" videos will not change anything.
While that was an issue that has long since resolved itself in one way or another, the current issues to the site are actually somewhat problematic and why this thread gets bumped every now and then.

1) Some people are unable to upload videos longer than the 15 minute time limit even if their account is in good standing. It's starting to become a fairly widespread issue that's been clogging up the help forums. I haven't tried it yet and won't even bother until it's corrected. By the way, the people on YT said they fixed this problem yesterday. Uh... nope.

2) Playlists being out of order drives me nuts just because I have things in a sequential order whether it's music or gameplay videos. Switching them back doesn't do a thing as they reorder themselves back into their messed up state days, hours, or even minutes later.

3) The actual help forums themselves are so much tougher to navigate. There's not an easy way to even check topics you've posted in. Hope you haven't deleted your search history!

Yeah, it's just a technical mess at the moment. The new channels never really bothered me but the constant basic functions flubbing up definitely is.