(shouting)

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
kilon

Re: Ohno! Youtube changed again!

Post by kilon »

-The three columns give a vertical look which I dislike a lot. 99.9% of the people has a 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 resolution. Why make a layout that works a lot better with 9:16?
-The tagged subscriptions are pointless as you can only tag 5 before having to press 'more' to see the rest. If only you could remove the google+ and facebook crap noone cares about.
-I don't care about the recommended videos that are trending for every category. Waste of space.
-Suggested channels are horrible. 5 out of 6 visisble ones I've never seen a video of, the other I've seen 1 video of and I disliked it. How about removing that if it doesn't work.
-the subscription videos are all in 1 column so you have to scroll for ages.
-It's not visible if you watched the video before and they removed the [x] function so its a huge mess of videos you watched, didn't watch and don't want to watch.
-The column with recommended videos is crappy as all hell. Just because I watch one video about a thing doesn't mean that you need to recommend every other thing about it to me.
-On channels, you cant click on a video and watch it embedded in the channel (afaik), so watching a couple of videos in a row takes more effort.

Just to name a few things.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Oh yeah, I saw the new channel "design" for the first time today too.

Seriously, what the fuck. As if the old one wasn't cluttered enough.
Daikoru

Post by Daikoru »

Btw, it could be possible that you are suggested stupid things because of videos you may have watched by clicking links.
Incarnate a Pokemon Gijinka in this Role Play forum!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Yeah because youtube for some reason thinks you've liked every video you've ever seen, including the ones you've "Dislike"d.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
freelop

Post by freelop »

I commented on how at least I wasn't missing videos anymore, well I just noticed it hasn't actually been showing me all the videos and in some cases you need to press a "show more" button if the uploader added several videos at the same time.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I agree with most people here. Not mad on the new design. Don't like not being able to remove videos [double negative ftw]. lots of stuff in the sidebar thing i'd like to remove but cant. Don't care about recommended stuff usually.
I like the shape but i dont think it's used well at all.
Sometimes I dont watch peoples videos for days and when it shows only the most recent one I have to go off to the persons channel and start searching.

i hope they do something quickly
Sutin

Post by Sutin »

At first, it offended my brain. But as with most change, you grow used to it and just accept it.
It's not assaulting my human rights or anything.. or is it?
Quack.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Sure you grow used to it just like you grow used to the old layout and then they change it again for no reason, not really making things much better, sometimes making them a little worse, it's just this whole change for the sake of change mentality. I'm sure there's some invisible benefit to them like the new layout consumes 2% less bandwidth which saves them X money over the next fiscal quarter etc. but man whatever.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Is there any way to be told when you have a new message? I can see when I get a new comment now, but I can't see when I get a new message.

Well, to the Chrome web store I go...
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Welp. It's official. YouTube's gotten rid of the friend system entirely.
Trolololololololololol
kilon

Post by kilon »

You probably need Facebook or Google+ now.
freelop

Post by freelop »

Yeah I'm not linking my youtube to any of that, I don't want to blur my internet persona with my real life persona too much.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

waytogo.jpg
Good job, youtube! Recommending my own video to myself!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

Cobalt wrote:the actual video watching portion of the site looks fairly unchanged, so i'm alright with it

Also i don't know if anyone figured this out yet but adding /home after youtube.com will change it back to the old layout (although the design for the background and buttons are still the same)

i tried using /home. didnt work :c
Ashanmaril wrote:Welp. It's official. YouTube's gotten rid of the friend system entirely.
Trolololololololololol
what really? well.. i suppose it was kinda odd having subscribers and friends. although if you were just friends you didnt get notified of new uploads i think? correct me if i'm wrong.

kilon wrote:You probably need Facebook or Google+ now.
I don't like how facebook is taking over everywhere :/
Google+ i like
freelop

Post by freelop »

GanonTEK wrote:
Cobalt wrote:the actual video watching portion of the site looks fairly unchanged, so i'm alright with it

Also i don't know if anyone figured this out yet but adding /home after youtube.com will change it back to the old layout (although the design for the background and buttons are still the same)

i tried using /home. didnt work :c
Ashanmaril wrote:Welp. It's official. YouTube's gotten rid of the friend system entirely.
Trolololololololololol
what really? well.. i suppose it was kinda odd having subscribers and friends. although if you were just friends you didnt get notified of new uploads i think? correct me if i'm wrong.

kilon wrote:You probably need Facebook or Google+ now.
I don't like how facebook is taking over everywhere :/
Google+ i like
I'd much rather have a system like facebook or G+ which is specifically for maintaining an online persona rather than trying to merge my real life with online.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

GanonTEK wrote: what really? well.. i suppose it was kinda odd having subscribers and friends. although if you were just friends you didnt get notified of new uploads i think? correct me if i'm wrong.
You're wrong, scrub
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daikoru

Post by Daikoru »

Funny. I decided to take a look at the suggested videos. They were only Kingdom Heart videos. Just because the last youtube video I opened was a Kingdom Heart video? Quite amusing.

I guess I understand now the other people here whining about unrelated videos. Not that I care much personally, since I never look at them, I seek the videos through the search bar.
Incarnate a Pokemon Gijinka in this Role Play forum!
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

freelop wrote:I'd much rather have a system like facebook or G+ which is specifically for maintaining an online persona rather than trying to merge my real life with online.
Yeah, because facebook totally doesn't try everything ever to merge your real life with your online life.
Like automatically synchronizing your phone's address book with FB or creating a worldwide database of people's facial features including their names and addresses.
freelop

Post by freelop »

Aposke wrote:
freelop wrote:I'd much rather have a system like facebook or G+ which is specifically for maintaining an online persona rather than trying to merge my real life with online.
Yeah, because facebook totally doesn't try everything ever to merge your real life with your online life.
Like automatically synchronizing your phone's address book with FB or creating a worldwide database of people's facial features including their names and addresses.
Like facebook. You wouldn't put your real name or picture on it, it wouldn't work anyway because existing sites wouldn't want to add a new system to sign ups. There would be other issues too like conflicting usernames (set up multiple names tied to the account perhaps)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

freelop wrote:Like facebook.
No offense, but that could've meant what he said, too. "Like facebook or G+" could mean "either facebook or G+" or it could mean "Similar facebook or G+"

Don't harp on him for misunderstanding ambiguity, here! :P
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh, hey. Look.
YouTube changed their comment's character limit from 500 to 200... Why?
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

To get people to shut up. :lol:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Moreover, it is now impossible to "Like" videos unless you have a G+ account.

Fuck everything.
(Also, http://zippcast.com/ is back again, you know, that site that always seems to pop up once Google undertakes bigger changes on Youtube and that all the frustrated people go to?)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Aposke wrote:Moreover, it is now impossible to "Like" videos unless you have a G+ account.
*tests*
No it's not because I just liked a video and have no Google+ account AFAIK..
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Alex wrote:I think people should quit bitching about the stupidly minor issue.
If we let them get away with the little stuff they'll become more bold about the big stuff! And before you know it, giant google-sponsored book fires and mass executions!

And so we fight the good fight the only way we know how : on a forum nobody will ever read.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.