(shouting)

YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Re: YouTube Stuff (mostly the management screwing up AMIRITE)

Post by onpon4 »

I don't even use the official player (I use ViewTube, unless it's an age-restricted video in which case I download with youtube-dl and watch with a locally installed video player), so I couldn't even watch the ads if I wanted to.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

So apparently if someone else posts your videos on youtube, it is categorized under privacy instead of impersonation or scam.

"Content with personal information or videos of you that have been uploaded without your permission, can be considered as invasion of privacy."

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/142443

Seems to be a 6 step process and fairly hidden. Took a while to find, due to way it is set up to look like an answer.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

We've been seeing more pushback through movements like WTFU lately, and that's a nice start, but nothing sends a stronger message here in the good ol' US of A like everyone banding together to sue the butt off someone.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Rockythechao wrote:I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

We've been seeing more pushback through movements like WTFU lately, and that's a nice start, but nothing sends a stronger message here in the good ol' US of A like everyone banding together to sue the butt off someone.
They're a business, so they're allowed to get away with it.

It isn't illegal in any way to have shitty, vauge rules for your website.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Grounder wrote:
Rockythechao wrote:I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more legal action against Google for all the automated system/policy abuse nonsense by now. Like, from what I can tell the last time there was some big class-action suit against them was in 2014?

They're a business, so they're allowed to get away with it.

It isn't illegal in any way to have shitty, vauge rules for your website.
I mean, yes and no. My understanding is that they've had the stuff responsible for the current controversy in effect for a year but hadn't updated the terms of service to reflect that until now.

You're right in that there's probably no case against Google for dumb rules alone, and it was kind of thoughtless of me to suggest as much. I do still wonder if a suit over the way they've handled informing users of those rules and conducting themselves in line with them would hold any water. Logically, if two parties have a contract and of them doesn't stick to their part of it and/or changes the terms for the other party without them having any means of finding out... that'd be the basis for a legitimate grievance, right?

It seems like in many of these cases folks don't learn about the policy changes until they're affected by them. To be fair, I don't know whether it's usually a matter of them not being informed or they were and just hadn't been paying attention. They could've even been violating policy before the change and Google only just decided to hold them accountable, in which case they user is definitely in the wrong... though that also goes back to whether being inconsistent with enforcing rules is actionable or not.

idk. I'm probably working under some pretty erroneous assumptions here. For all my talk, I'm definitely no expert on the matter.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
onpon4
Sharing is good.
First name: Julie

Post by onpon4 »

Google can do whatever it wants with its servers. They don't need to let anyone upload videos, or even continue to run the service at all. If you don't like it, you can run your own video hosting site (and you can even do it quite easily thanks to Mediagoblin; heck, some people already do that, e.g. goblinrefuge.com). You just have to be prepared to deal with the associated costs.
I do still wonder if a suit over the way they've handled informing users of those rules and conducting themselves in line with them would hold any water.
Nope. No U.S. law requires any website to have a clear or consistent policy at all. If raocow decided to censor all posts that contain the word "world" and ban all users whose usernames include "world" or some variation, he has a right to do so, regardless of whether or not the rules allow the use of the word "world".
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Mediagoblin, eh? Interesting... I definitely am not prepared to run my own hosting site, but it's neat that that service exists.

But yeah, fair enough. And I mean, even if there was a case against them, they're a massive corporation with tons of money, likely have some of the best lawyers, etc etc etc.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Why do these videos from "VideoLog" keep showing up in my history?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AeroMatter
Despair is forbidden; Keep hopes up
Pronouns: she/her

Post by AeroMatter »

I'm not one to normally link to ExtraCredits but this sounds like this:

I've reached peak stimulation.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Jim Sterling actually had a decent take on it:

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

YOUTUBE HEEEEROES~ ♫
YOUTUBE HEEEEROES ♪♫♪
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Rewarding a system people hate, bad idea. There should instead be tougher action taken against bad behaviors of false flagging.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Feels like a great way to pretend to earn good cred and then abuse power and flag videos of people they don't like. Another dumb idea. As ano0maly's saying, it's better to have better protection from and harsher penalties for those kind of false copyright claims in general.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

It's not a paid position, which means the only people who'll do it are.. y'know.. kind of the losers of society? Maybe I'm being presumptuous.
Speaking of losers, YouTube are a bunch of losers because this is obviously a way of them getting moderators to check videos without having to actually spend money to pay moderators to check videos. 0/10
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

What did youtube do to the comment sections, oh my word that looks bad.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Twitch just announced video uploads. Curious to see if anyone moves from Youtube to Twitch.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Just saw the news. I hope Twitch puts some real pressure on YouTube so they finally will have to try. Nobody is in a better situation to compete YouTube than Twitch. This could be huge if they play their cards right.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

SAJewers wrote:Twitch just announced video uploads. Curious to see if anyone moves from Youtube to Twitch.
Likely not. I mean, there are some people who have moved from Twitch to YouTube because YouTube hasn't banned as many games.
Yandere Simulator, wryyyyy
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

To be fair, their banned games list is almost all Adult games anyway.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote:To be fair, their banned games list is almost all Adult games anyway.
If you think Yandere Sim is an adult game you probably have no experience with it. It's more or less an anime-themed Hitman game.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Hence "almost all".
Alice

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote:Hence "almost all".
So what exactly is being fair about it then? It's very clearly an outlier on their list.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

No, that's what I mean; it's an outlier.

If I had to guess a reason, it's probably the same reason the ESRB gave Hatred an AO rating.
Alice

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote:No, that's what I mean; it's an outlier.

If I had to guess a reason, it's probably the same reason the ESRB gave Hatred an AO rating.
Ah, you should've made that clearer then. The "to be fair" ended up making it sound like it was actually justified. And the dev can't even find out why Twitch banned the game which is pretty stupid. He's tried repeatedly to at least get them to inform him why so he could consider whether it's something he might be willing to change but they flat out won't respond.