(shouting)

Tabletop Role Play/Wargame General Discussion Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Tabletop Role Play/Wargame General Discussion Thread

Post by Kleetus »

I've played more Mutants and Masterminds and have a few more opinions on the game.

The way stats are set up is fantastic; you have the six "dnd stats", plus "fighting" which is used exclusively for close range combat, and "dexterity" which is used exclusively for ranged combat. (The equivalent to dnd's dexterity is "agility".) This is great because in a lot of combat focused games stats that are used for combat can end up being god stats, by having stats just for combat it prevents this.

The way combat works is that when a character is successfully struck, they roll a "toughness check". The more they fail the roll by, the more points of injury, and possibly debuffs, they accumulate. I do have a problem with this, if a character takes damage, things can rapidly snowball where they can't retaliate and take more damage, especially since injury results in a penalty to toughness checks, the thing needed to prevent injury.

Cool stuff a character can do is split into "powers", "abilities", and "advantages". I'm still not entirely sure what the difference is. There can be a lot of redundancy in what these effects do. Some of these effects can be bought, and they increase your stats, but stats can also be increased by putting points into them. Toughness however can't be increased directly, you need to by an ability/power to increase it.

Currently our DM's biggest hurdle to overcome is balancing enemy encounters. For that comic book vibe, most enemies are "minions" which go down in one successful hit. Two of the members of our superhero team can easily strike multiple dudes at once, which can flush out entire mook teams.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Tabletop Role Play/Wargame General Discussion Thread

Post by Kleetus »

My DM ran an experiment in M&M with giving my character a tool to hack into and control enemy robots. The way controlling people/robots/whatever works is that in order to issue a command, you use a movement action, and then the fulfil it when it's their turn.
It sounds super weird on paper to have movement be what's used for commands but it works really well. If you use your movement to issue a command, you then can only perform an action, or use your action to move. Not being able to act and move on the same turn really forces you to plan things out.