(shouting)

Mosts 2021 Userbars Discussion Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
ano0maly
Discord User

Mosts 2021 Userbars Discussion Thread

Post by ano0maly »

So it's the last month of this rollercoaster year and we're having some events - a new VGM contest in half a year, a digital Advent event - but it looks like this is the time to formally bring up our annual Mosts.

So who's interested in running the event or helping out with it? I feel that even if it's a formality people need the conversation to start before they speak up about it.

Also, if you have Unity, Rixithechao made a userbar editor in it.
Last edited by ano0maly 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: The elephant in the room

Post by Awoo »

I'm interested in helping out at the least, running it at the best.

Who's up for Mosts again? :rao:

me

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: The elephant in the room - Mosts 2020

Post by WhimWidget »

Yeah! Mosts! :rao:

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago I'm interested in helping out at the least, running it at the best.
The prophecy will not come true!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

The elephant in the room
Is it though? I think it's more like a goat
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Oh I'll help alright...on making categories.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

So... anyone?

I know people have indicated interest in participating in the event (and more will come and post once it actually opens), but no one's actually willing to make it happen.

I thought it was courtesy to take turns, like with VGM contests, and give those interested in hosting or helping out an opportunity, but if people aren't responsive, perhaps those than ran it in the past should do so again?
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I'm willing to do the tedious work, including banners
I will need an easy way to contact whomever the boss of the operation is gonna be, though
video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The host will most likely be available on talkhaus Discord.

I think I can help out with vote counting if needed.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If we do these this year, I'd like it to be in a much more limited format. Joke category overload is something I could do without after the 2020 I've had. Keep it simple, don't go overboard on the negativity, and just do a Mini-Mosts not many Mosts this time around.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I personally don't want to water down the Mosts and make the event not worth it, if I'm willing to do the vote counts - it would just take a bit longer to finish counting if there are many categories. We can be more subdued on joke categories, sure, but otherwise people should freely come up with creative topics and post their votes like before.

Mandew can speak on the matter of userbars, although I think that the standards were raised in 2018 and 2019 with custom background pictures for every userbar, and if that's too much work we don't have to keep that up. It would be nice to have for awards about things like games, for instance, but it may not be necessary for awards for talkhaus users since members' avatars change over time anyway.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

As much as I still don’t want to be involved in running the event or making the userbars (beyond helping orient folks to working with the editor, anyway) I will always agree with minimizing the negativity and never agree with minimizing the joke categories, or at least their creation. After this year people are going to need the humor. For previous years the rules were crafted so as to filter out the bulk of joke categories and the same can be done this time.

I also recall whipping up a google sheet to automate part of the vote-tallying process for either last year or the year before, and I believe the link to it was posted in the corresponding results thread, so this year’s host could make a blank copy of that if it’ll help.

EDIT:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... NTqFA/edit
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

If the image that comes to my mind for Mosts 2020 is an annoyed, joyless old man that just wants to go to sleep, I don't think you should bother at all, frankly.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It will be fine :ehh:
Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago
I also recall whipping up a google sheet to automate part of the vote-tallying process for either last year or the year before, and I believe the link to it was posted in the corresponding results thread, so this year’s host could make a blank copy of that if it’ll help.

EDIT:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... NTqFA/edit
This reminds me of the spreadsheet I used to tally votes in 2016. I may combine techniques from these two this year.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I would suggest not ascribing malice or joylessness to Bean's request tbh
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

im still reeling from the 2013 mosts where i won most likely to disappear and then i didnt post for like 5 years

altho i did edit the userbar once every couple months making it slightly more transparent each time until it was gone
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago I would suggest not ascribing malice or joylessness to Bean's request tbh
Not sure if this is only a response to grounder's post or mine as well, but if it was directed at me too then that was not my intention and I apologize if I came across that way. Feeling fatigued from running these events is completely understandable and I don't blame Bean one bit for wanting to go smaller this year.

For my part, I will try to keep my own joke categories to a minimum this time around. But at the risk of sounding a bit dramatic, I still firmly believe that having joke threads is important for keeping the light-hearted spirit of the Mosts alive. By all means, allow them in a way that saves the people tallying the votes and making the userbars as much stress as possible -- set the bar higher for qualifying for a userbar, or even just outright don't do userbars for the joke categories -- but please still allow them.

EDIT:
I just remembered, didn't rena have some automated means of counting peoples' votes one year? That might be worth looking into as well, provided such a script/bot can be set up with criteria designed around typical voting behavior like
- ignore strikethrough
- get the most recent instance of bold text from that member
- failing that, get the text of their first post

Would still need human review to double-check the results, but could potentially save some trouble from manually cataloguing all the votes...?

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

hold on i still need to decide the stupidest dril tweet to make a most out of to deliberately confuse and/or frighten everyone

EDIT: also, most likely to fill the groverhaus with piss bottles while living in it and playing ragnarok online
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago I would suggest not ascribing malice or joylessness to Bean's request tbh
Not sure if this is only a response to grounder's post or mine as well
It was mostly a response to the fact that there was an immediate general swell of seemingly-indignant opposition to Bean's request. It was not directed at any one person in particular.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ha-ha. I didn't take it as directed to me even if it was. 2020's done a number on me this year, but it looks like they will be happening.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I believe we're ready to start :rao:

We're going to try an up-to-date vote reporting system this year, if anyone is into that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just waiting on one more thing, then I'll make the forum. Could be tonight, but it'll definitely be up by tomorrow.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Re: The elephant in the room - Mosts 202∅¹

Post by PSI Ninja »

In Discordhaus we started talking about this year's Mosts, and I volunteered to help out. So, I wanted to know if anyone here would also be interested in helping out?

We haven't ironed out the specifics yet, but following the pattern of previous years, it will most likely involve entering individual votes into a spreadsheet to help keep count (like last year's spreadsheet), and making userbars for the winners (the ones you often see in people's signatures). The designated host would also copy write the rules and guidelines, and present the results once everything is finished.

Please let us know if you'd like to volunteer. Also, if any of you would just kill to be the host, please let us know too. Otherwise, I'll assume the role.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: wherefore art thou Mosts 2021

Post by ano0maly »

I can probably make another spreadsheet for organizing votes and maybe help out tallying them. Don't expect me to do the whole thing though.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

This time we should probably push for some distinction between character and member categories from the outset, because people voting the former group in categories meant for the latter was a recurring problem last year.

Like, maybe a rule or guideline in the vein of “If it’s not already clear from the title whether a category applies to members of the community or fictional characters, please specify in the title to avoid confusion. e.g. Most Likely to Eat a Ham Sandwich (Member), Most Likely to Eat a Ham Sandwich (Character). If you want to create the same category for both groups, please make them two separate threads.”

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I would definitely rather see board members get awards than random joke things again. But yeah, I'm kind of planning on creating the board next week as opposed to last year where I wanted practically nothing to do with it until you all twisted my arm.

Remember that I have no artistic talent whatsoever so banners are an impossibility from me.