(shouting)

talkhaus first annual hat contest

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: talkhaus first annual hat contest

Post by KobaBeach »

we should have a magl4 (smw) sometime, i'm too lazy to compete but i am willing to judge
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

i made a new hat hope yall like it
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

this one's a bit too long uh oh
Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago we should have a magl4 (smw) sometime, i'm too lazy to compete but i am willing to judge
Besides judging, I seriously think that you should consider hosting/organizing the contest. You would be the perfect choice, because you have more enthusiasm than anyone else here for reviving SMW hacking, you're always present on the Talkhaus, you're friendly, and everyone here knows you. I can't think of anyone else who could step up and take the initiative.

I would love to see a MaGL4 happen, because I'm dying to participate in a Talkhaus level design contest. I never had the opportunity because I started posting here in December 2019, so I missed the MaGLX3 signups earlier that year. Honestly, I wish level design contests were a bit more frequent on the Talkhaus, with at least one a year. So that way, interested parties don't have to wait every 4+ years like the Olympics to get involved. I remember reading an old post somewhere that said we should alternate every year with a SMW and SMBX contest. Maybe we should aim for something like that going forward. Problem is, of course, finding enough people willing to handle events of this magnitude on a recurring basis. Especially since the Talkhaus isn't as active as it used to be.

Also, here's a poorly masked hat:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago Besides judging, I seriously think that you should consider hosting/organizing the contest. You would be the perfect choice, because you have more enthusiasm than anyone else here for reviving SMW hacking, you're always present on the Talkhaus, you're friendly, and everyone here knows you. I can't think of anyone else who could step up and take the initiative.
I'll try to talk to Rena and rao about it to help set up stuff

I don't think I'm that friendly but I've also been bitching a lot on my Twitter AD and my family has been getting on my nerves a lot
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see a MaGL4 happen, because I'm dying to participate in a Talkhaus level design contest. I never had the opportunity because I started posting here in December 2019, so I missed the MaGLX3 signups earlier that year. Honestly, I wish level design contests were a bit more frequent on the Talkhaus, with at least one a year. So that way, interested parties don't have to wait every 4+ years like the Olympics to get involved. I remember reading an old post somewhere that said we should alternate every year with a SMW and SMBX contest. Maybe we should aim for something like that going forward. Problem is, of course, finding enough people willing to handle events of this magnitude on a recurring basis. Especially since the Talkhaus isn't as active as it used to be.
MAGLX3 was an outlier; the contest initiated in 2017 wasn't supposed to take this long to be out. It did because of the decision to use the next upcoming version of SMBX (Beta 4) instead of the up-to-date version at the time (Beta 3). And after the contest submissions ran in 2019 it still took two years, partly because we ended up not actually waiting for Beta 4 release (which was in 2020) but used a preview build out in 2019, except that the actual contest release was in Beta 4.

Before that, the contests were about once a year, but they also weren't intended to be as lengthy. The contests weren't that large until MAGLX1 set that trend for SMBX contests. If these contests are more frequent it might be a good idea to aim for smaller. In the past we had other contest events besides MAGLs that were smaller-sized and had more specialized ideas.