(shouting)

Is it okay to discuss leg...

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
TiKi

Is it okay to discuss leg...

Post by TiKi »

Hi,

I PMed the cops about if I could inquire about the legal basis for ASMBXT, however I received no response. Since Nintendo is infamously twitchy about people using their stuff (for example I asked them if I could make a fan game and they said no) I wanted to ask on the A2MBXT forum if people were aware of the possible moral ramifications that come from possible non-consent, and that we should make sure to get consent as is proper in every situation. Is this allowed?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Is it okay to discuss legality topics on here?

Post by Ivy »

ASMT etc. are completely made up by raocow and friends, and in the case of ASMBXT, uses a completely distinct non-Nintendo engine, so there's literally nothing to dispute. Romhacks are trickier, but SMWCentral is still up and running.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Money

Post by Money »

Fangames are generally ignored unless they directly compete with a game or they're being used for profit. They cant "legally" say it's ok b/c that would invalidate their trademarks, but it's bad PR and generally more trouble than it's worth to shut down games that intend to simply pay tribute to and honor the series they're about.

There's no real reason to involve authorities, as that's just inviting trouble and a situation in which Nintendo would have no choice but to shut the projects down.

Edit: apparently you meant that you contacted the mods?
Last edited by Money 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Fuck the law

What makes you think it's "proper" to get consent to use IP? Why should we? What's your reasoning? I can think of no reason to do so in the first place, nevermind the fact that it's basically asking Nintendo to tell us no.

(Also, a tangent):
Do you realize how little Nintendo actually goes after fangames?

The only reason people think they do so is because they are legally obligated to go after anything they can't reasonably deny knowledge of. Every single fangame they have ever touched has been something that has gotten reported on by (gaming) news sites.

MFGG, the NCFC and SMW Central have all been left completely untouched, and that's not for no reason. Nintendo's even indicated that they were aware of Romhacking.net when they asked them to take down Nintendo's own hack (SMA4 e-Reader Levels), but left everything else on there alone.

Wipe the idea that Nintendo hunts down fangames from your consciousness.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

wtf I just reported all of you to the FBI

Mario fangames is a class A felony
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

TiKi wrote:(for example I asked them if I could make a fan game and they said no)
the possible moral ramifications that come from possible non-consent, and that we should make sure to get consent as is proper in every situation
are you fanof
you're fanof, aren't you
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)

Post by Guest »

sorry everyone ashan contacted the authorities about our unaurthorised super mario activity so now we're going to have to shut down the talkhaus
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Coryman »

I don't get why romhacks are outlawed, when they should just be regulated and sold by the government :x
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Super Mario World romhacks is a gateway to mass genocide
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Is it okay to discuss leg...

Post by YelseyKing »

Should vore be allowed on the Talkhaus?
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.