(shouting)

I was only supposed to be banned for a day, guys.

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
NolatRodnoc

I was only supposed to be banned for a day, guys.

Post by NolatRodnoc »

OKAY, SERIOUSLY, MODS, BEFORE YOU TAKE ANY ACTION, PLEASE READ THE ENTIRETY OF THIS POST.

Hi, my name's CondorTalon, and I'd like to talk to you guys about something today.

"CondorTalon? Aren't you one of those permabanned guys?"

Yes, yes I am, but again, I was only supposed to be banned for a day. Let me tell you my story.

"So, why are you doing this instead of, like, contacting a mod or an admin?"

Because, to be honest, if I contact an admin or a mod about this, then I'm putting my fate into that person (or, I guess), that group's hands. If they decide to deny my request and ban this account as well, no one would know. And yes, while I could just make another account, that's a headache. I'm making this public so that everyone can read this and make their own judgments. If people collectively believe I don't deserve another chance, I guess I'll just have to deal with that. To be honest, I'm also afraid of people who don't know any better thinking that since I was permabanned, it must be because I'm a monster who eats babies or something. It's also since I don't think I've ever gotten to tell this story to the talkhaus proper, and it's kind of an important story.

Just to be clear: I hold no ill-will toward anyone on the current mod team. The mod who banned me is no longer such. I am angry toward them, yes, but only them.

So!

Three years ago, a thread was started called "you're tearing my forum apart". I'm not 100% sure about the context, but it was probably something drama-filled, so I won't get into any further details about how the thread started. As the thread progressed, it turned into an image-spam and copypasta thread. A lot of people joined in, some people expressed their confusion, but I don't remember anyone being offended by it. It was just some harmless fun. Unfortunately, Unnamed Former Mod didn't think so, and banned everyone who participated in the spamming for a week.

(And yes, I am aware that if you search for that thread you will probably find out who that mod was, but I don't want to start any witch-hunting, so... please don't do that?)

Fast forward... some indeterminate amount of time (the board says two years, but then, that could mean any where from one month to twenty-three). I get pretty angry about the dividedness of the community, as well as some behind-the-scenes stuff that happened. I and a couple of other people go into the IRC channel and try to argue our points regarding that. I get frustrated, send out a swear on the channel, and then leave. I get banned from the IRC channel.

I deserved that.

I then go onto the forum and make a very mean-spirited shitpost regarding the situation. I was an idiot for making that post. I get banned my Unnamed Former Mod for a day.

I deserved that, too.

But, I thought, that's a weird mismatch, isn't it? This hurtful thread constructed with malice gets me only a day, but a harmless, self-contained spam thread where everyone was having fun gets all those people a week? Why is that?

So I contacted Unnamed Former Mod (through another user) asking about this, wondering what his reference frame for ban periods was. I was told that the hurtful shitpost was just one post and it was moved to graveyard before anyone could see it, while the harmless spam thread happened while no mods were around to see it, so it got to 13 pages before anyone could do anything about it.

Weird, I thought. I mean, I could see how it made sense, but I would have thought that the intent of a thread would be more salient than the scope of a thread.

And then he said:

"But if he wants a longer ban, sure."

Boom. Permabanned.

Permabanned for asking a question. If I hadn't asked him about it, it would have been a day ban and nothing more.

Does that seem fair? I don't think that seems fair.

A day ban was escalated to a permaban with no warning, for a pretty petty reason. Yes, I am still angry about that. Wouldn't you be?

I don't hate this community. I said some dumb, mean things in that period of time, but I regret them. I don't want people to look at the "Banned" under my name and get misconceptions about me. More than anything else, I want to be part of the community again.

Can I please come back inside, Mom?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: I was only supposed to be banned for a day, guys.

Post by Mata Hari »

I mean you could've just made another account and started posting and nobody would've noticed or cared
NolatRodnoc

Post by NolatRodnoc »

I could have, but I didn't want to make a new account, especially since that would have basically been like hiding, and I wanted to be upfront about it.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Well if you're hell-bent on having your old account back I'll ask the other mods if they know what you're talking about because I have no idea
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

who are you again
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Sorel wrote: 6 years ago who are you again
idk either. Hello fellow 3 year member
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ok done

CondorTalon
Banned

Post by CondorTalon »

Noice I'm back. This thread can be closed or whatever you do with done threads (man it's been so long).
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

CondorTalon wrote: 6 years ago Noice I'm back. This thread can be closed or whatever you do with done threads (man it's been so long).
you can close your own thread. also lol still says "banned" on your title mate!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)