(shouting)

worldhaus

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: worldhaus

Post by HatKid »

Someone made a heart-shaped object while I wasn't looking...
Attachments
Heart.png
Heart.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 8353 times
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

1.5 (2017-06-20)
Features:
- Added a dimensions system. /dimension name to switch dimensions. The default dimension is 'default': /dimension default

not had super testing but it seems to work pretty well. let me know if you find any issues
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Players are currently visible across dimensions.

Also, it'd be awesome if we could change the default ground tile and parallax background for each dimension. Some of RMXP's panorama graphics could work as parallax presets and I'll see about finding or making other options.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

it would be cool to be able to claim a dimension
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Maybe the creator of a dimension could allow players of their choosing to add to their dimension :3c

Cause then I could make a sprite dimension and add other sprite making enthusiasts into it and we could all make sprites and stuff. :D
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Rockythechao wrote: 6 years ago Players are currently visible across dimensions.

Also, it'd be awesome if we could change the default ground tile and parallax background for each dimension. Some of RMXP's panorama graphics could work as parallax presets and I'll see about finding or making other options.
haha that's what I get for testing on my own
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

quick hotfix

1.5.1 (2017-06-21)
Features:
- Add /dimension command (with no parameters) to tell you your current dimension
- Fix oversight which meant that players could see each other between dimensions
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

pholtos wrote: 6 years ago Maybe the creator of a dimension could allow players of their choosing to add to their dimension :3c

Cause then I could make a sprite dimension and add other sprite making enthusiasts into it and we could all make sprites and stuff. :D
I'm interested
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

Logged in and website crashed...

It says: Refused to connect.

All i was doing was clearing stupid stuff and claiming really few zones.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

sry looks like it lost connection to the dB server or something

I fixed it this morning but I didn't get a chance to post
Omega Metroid
Antimatter made of matter. Do not question this, as therein lies the path to madness.
Pronouns: ghaH

Post by Omega Metroid »

rena wrote: 6 years ago
Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Where did you get the code and assets and stuff from anyway
the code is from scratch and the assets are from the rpg maker xp resource pack http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/add ... e-packages
I thought I recognised those tilesets. xD
Omega Metroid
Antimatter made of matter. Do not question this, as therein lies the path to madness.

Post by Omega Metroid »

It seems to be a bit glitchy at the moment, I'm not sure if it's just on my end or not.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Omega Metroid wrote: 6 years ago It seems to be a bit glitchy at the moment, I'm not sure if it's just on my end or not.
if you mean when you're placing blocks, you might just have to go a bit slower sry (it's slowed down a lot since i added more layers and other features)
Omega Metroid

Post by Omega Metroid »

No, I mean that:
  1. It seems to disconnect relatively often while moving, moreso than usual.
  2. It doesn't always load sprites or tiles in the helper panes on the right, forcing me to reload to get them back.
  3. The lock icon in the upper left shows all squares as unlocked, regardless of whether they're locked or not. [They're still locked serverside, but I might've accidentally unlocked some of mine while trying to figure out why it said they were unlocked, and I have no way of checking.]
I'm not sure if it's just on my end or not, and don't have another system available to check it from right at the moment.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Omega Metroid wrote: 6 years ago No, I mean that:
  2. It doesn't always load sprites or tiles in the helper panes on the right, forcing me to reload to get them back.
  3. The lock icon in the upper left shows all squares as unlocked, regardless of whether they're locked or not. [They're still locked serverside, but I might've accidentally unlocked some of mine while trying to figure out why it said they were unlocked, and I have no way of checking.]
I'm not sure if it's just on my end or not, and don't have another system available to check it from right at the moment.
I think I've fixed (2) [but it is a bit inconsistent to reproduce so I'm not 100%)

I see (3), I'll fix that now, as well as a couple of other issues I can see in the server logs.

You'll have to elaborate on (1) because I've never seen that before, unless you mean the 'running too fast' error. If it's that then I can just disable that check.

Server is currently down for some updates.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

there we go. i updated to my dev version so hopefully everything's working okay.
Omega Metroid

Post by Omega Metroid »

I think I've fixed (2) [but it is a bit inconsistent to reproduce so I'm not 100%)

I see (3), I'll fix that now, as well as a couple of other issues I can see in the server logs.

You'll have to elaborate on (1) because I've never seen that before, unless you mean the 'running too fast' error. If it's that then I can just disable that check.

Yeah, #1 is just the "running too fast" thing, it just seemed to be triggering more often than usual; I wasn't sure if this was related to the other two issues, so I figured I'd mention it just in case. #2 is hard to troubleshoot, since it happens infrequently, but I just figured I'd let you know about it. The fix for #3 worked, chunk owners are displaying properly now.

Seems like everything's working properly now, at least as far as I can tell. Thanks.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Omega Metroid wrote: 6 years ago

Yeah, #1 is just the "running too fast" thing, it just seemed to be triggering more often than usual; I wasn't sure if this was related to the other two issues, so I figured I'd mention it just in case. #2 is hard to troubleshoot, since it happens infrequently, but I just figured I'd let you know about it. The fix for #3 worked, chunk owners are displaying properly now.

Seems like everything's working properly now, at least as far as I can tell. Thanks.
yh I can see how the 'running too fast' thing could happen if you lag a bit or something, I increased the threshold a bit but if it's still happening let me know and i can just disable that check altogether
Omega Metroid

Post by Omega Metroid »

From what we were talking about ingame, a few ideas I can think of are...
  • Multilayer paths, like an overpass & underpass. It would likely require either more sprite layers (or however you set things up), or the ability to mark a given layer as "walkable", in which case character sprites are rendered on top of that layer, with the midground being the default walkable layer (e.g., if the foreground was marked as walkable, then the background, midground, and foreground would be rendered beneath any character standing on the foreground, while the overlay would be rendered over them).

The biggest problems I can think of with this are the scalability issue you mentioned, and that it would require each sprite layer/walkable layer to have its own associated collision layer.
  • Interactable warp point objects, that let the player select a destination warp point, then use the teleport command to move the player to their chosen target. I believe you mentioned wanting to implement something like this.
  • Building interiors. The easiest way I can think of to implement this would be to use the dimension command, and add an interactable object that causes anyone who steps on it to switch to a different dimension (specified when the object is placed).

Perhaps the object could also allow coordinates in the target dimension to be specified, using the teleport command to move characters to the target coordinates. [It would effectively be a customisable warp point, allowing the player to set its destination dimension & coordinates.] Alternatively, these objects could come in pairs, with each one teleporting anyone that touches it to its partner; each of these objects would likely keep track of its partner's dimension & coordinates, to ease transit (defaulting to the current dimension, if no dimension is specified). [If using partnered objects, you might be able to increase performance by using two different types, one for same-dimension movement and one for cross-dimension movement; this would let the system skip the dimension check when using the former.]

If you do something like this, it might be helpful to divide the default dimension into blocks, with all players who place a dimension-switching object in a given block sharing interior dimensions whenever possible, in the same way that the default dimension is shared. This might increase performance compared to letting everyone make as many dimensions as they want, whenever they want.

Alternatively, each player could be given a single alternate dimension, which they use to set up interiors. This would work nicely with partnered objects, allowing each player to keep all of their interiors in a single location for ease of editing, and to quickly move between them & place teleporter pairs by removing collision objects. This dimension would default to being locked by its owner, although they could unlock it if they wanted.
  • Interactable objects that hook into the little games you mentioned. Each game would have an associated object, which could be interacted with to switch the player's focus from the worldhaus to the game. Not really sure how plausible this would be, but it might be helpful; it would likely consume more resources, though, and might require the worldhaus' process to hook into the launched instance of the game's process.

This would allow you to use the worldhaus as a hub for the other games, so they can be launched either from locations in it (like an arcade, for example), or from a menu.
Not sure how viable these are, you're better at designing game engines than I am at the moment. My opinions on what would be the best way to implement things may be incorrect, and the ideas as a whole may be infeasible.
rena wrote:yh I can see how the 'running too fast' thing could happen if you lag a bit or something, I increased the threshold a bit but if it's still happening let me know and i can just disable that check altogether
I guess that explains it, then. I don't think it's happened since you increased it, at least not that I've noticed. It seems to happen more often the longer I leave my browser open, so I'm starting to suspect there might be a bit of a performance issue on my end, too.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

The running too fast timeout happened to me a lot too. Haven't played much recently but it hasn't happened in the few times I have gotten back in and walked around. And I'm looking forward to seeing whatever all this minigame stuff is about :)

The warp point object idea gave me a few ideas of my own, and I figured they'd be easier to explain through a quick mockup:

The interaction types could vary based on the object, i.e. levers could have "Turn On", "Turn Off", "Change", Doors would have "Open", Signs would have "Read", etc. Right-clicking on an action or condition would open a separate window with the properties a la RPG Maker. "dest=[3 places], choose", for example, means I added three warp point objects as the destination and checked an box to let players choose which one (hypothetically, it would be randomized if the option wasn't checked.)

Everyone else feel free to build on this stuff or suggest alternatives, I'm sure there's more elegant ways to implement object/event scripting that'd be simpler to program, more flexible, more player-friendly, etc.

The dimension system is fine for building interiors, and my suggestions from a couple weeks ago would be useful for building an interior dimension for a single dungeon or town or whatnot. Also, if the chunk group idea is implemented, maybe they could have some visibility properties like:
- Exclusive: when the player is standing on a chunk from this group, all chunks that do not belong to the group are invisible
- Hidden: chunks in the group are invisible unless standing in them

Maybe I should try my hand at a mockup for a potential chunk group properties window...
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

oh my thanks for the detailed posts

I need to make some backend changes before I add any more features so I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I did implement the chunk ownership originally it's just not exposed right now

once i've done some backend changes and optimisation i'll add some interactive stuff, but i've been sick this week so i dunno when i'm going to get around to it yet
Omega Metroid

Post by Omega Metroid »

Had the "empty panes" thing happen again.

I'm starting to think it's just a lag issue, and that it's caused by things loading really slowly, rather than not loading at all; at the very least, it seems to indicate a slow connection to the server, since "Exceeded max speed" errors are more common when it happens than when it doesn't.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Omega Metroid wrote: 6 years ago Had the "empty panes" thing happen again.

I'm starting to think it's just a lag issue, and that it's caused by things loading really slowly, rather than not loading at all; at the very least, it seems to indicate a slow connection to the server, since "Exceeded max speed" errors are more common when it happens than when it doesn't.
it sounds like it's just failing to load the image for the spritesheet for some reason, i haven't been able to reproduce it
Omega Metroid

Post by Omega Metroid »

It's sporadic, and seems to be accompanied by other issues, so I think it's just being caused by a bad connection (and/or connection lag), network slowdown, and/or other speed- or lag-related issues. Probably not caused by any actual bugs, so I'm not sure if there's really anything to fix.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Well, I made this a while back, and I think it's pretty good

Also, I'd totally be down for a sprite dimension
Attachments
isaac.png
isaac.png (99.26 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!