(shouting)

Question: PM of Australia video

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Sebby19

Question: PM of Australia video

Post by Sebby19 »

Quick question, where can I find the video of one of Talkhauser's stepping up to the podium, introducing himself as the PM of Australia, and the announcing either a collab or contest?

I need it for reference.

Thanks.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Re: Question: PM of Australia video

Post by QubicTom »

Sebby19 wrote: 7 years ago Quick question, where can I find teh video of one of Talkhauser's stepping up to teh podium, introducing himself as teh PM of Australia, and teh announcing either a collab or contest?

I need it for reference.

Thanks.
Here you go! There were two of them, in fact.
a commercial x thing
Superb Demo Sisters

It wasn't a talkhauser, it was this guy who makes short videos on request: https://www.fiverr.com/activerog
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Thankyou!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Coryman »

"Are you a bad enough cyclops to go on a vegetable hunt in space?"
I hope, for that fellow's sake, that this is among the weirdest video message he has had to record.
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Coryman wrote: 7 years ago "Are you a bad enough cyclops to go on a vegetable hunt in space?"
I hope, for that fellow's sake, that this is among the weirdest video message he has had to record.

WOW you are naive
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I had no idea this was a thing cause I've never followed the ASMBXT or whatever because SMBX is a garbage boring engine

Is that a Fiverr thing?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago I had no idea this was a thing cause I've never followed the ASMBXT or whatever because SMBX is a garbage boring engine
this is 2017 not 2012
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I don't know what that means

Has something changed about SMBX since 2012?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago I don't know what that means

Has something changed about SMBX since 2012?

everything
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I mean I tried watching some of the playthrough of one of the more recent contests and I got bored.

SMW is like a haiku. There's beauty in the limitations, so when people pull off something impressive, it's even more impressive and fun because you understand the limitations.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I guess a more serious response is in order.

SMBX now isn't confined to being the limited, unfinished work it was back when only a vanilla version of it was available.

You only need to watch A2XT, the acclaimed sequel to ASMBXT, to see how an impressive project can be produced from SMBX. And that was in 2014, with only small modifications, before the development of extensions through the Lua programming language fully started to take off.

By the time MAGLX2 was released in 2015, the Lua add-ons were advanced enough to implement a variety of mechanics not capable with the vanilla SMBX 1.3x. Also important is that there's a convenient custom-built level editor (named PGE) to supplant the clunky, inferior editor that comes with vanilla SMBX.

What's in development right now is SMBX 2.0, which is a major overhaul that adds new features such as new characters.
SMW is like a haiku. There's beauty in the limitations, so when people pull off something impressive, it's even more impressive and fun because you understand the limitations.
This is what I don't understand.

Back when SMBX was first introduced people were criticizing it for how limited it was, particularly compared to SMW. They were saying how vanilla SMBX was lacking the potential to do things you can do with the powerful set of resources Lunar Magic + ASM can bring, and how the SMBX editor is both too simple to do advanced things and too hard to use. It's important to note, it's unfair to compare vanilla SMBX to non-vanilla SMW hacking; if you're incorporating the advanced tools in the latter, you have to do the same for the former.

And now that those tools greatly extend what SMBX is capable of beyond the limitations of a SNES game, here SMW is being defended for how "limitations bring creativity".
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Post by freakin whatzit »

super mario
world is like a haiku, 'cause
there's limitations
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 7 years agoBack when SMBX was first introduced people were criticizing it for how limited it was, particularly compared to SMW. They were saying how vanilla SMBX was lacking the potential to do things you can do with the powerful set of resources Lunar Magic + ASM can bring, and how the SMBX editor is both too simple to do advanced things and too hard to use. It's important to note, it's unfair to compare vanilla SMBX to non-vanilla SMW hacking; if you're incorporating the advanced tools in the latter, you have to do the same for the former.
I've never thought this. I always thought the barrier for entry was too low because of how "user friendly" and modern it was compared to Lunar Magic and a ROM file.
I probably sound like a pompous hipster with these complaints, and I admittedly have barely ever touched SMBX's level editor, but I remember even back in the day being turned off from how much people were able to do right off the bat.

I also just straight up like SMW's controls more. Maybe it's just because of how much I've played it but the tightness of them is just perfect to me.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote: 7 years ago I've never thought this. I always thought the barrier for entry was too low because of how "user friendly" and modern it was compared to Lunar Magic and a ROM file.
I probably sound like a pompous hipster with these complaints, and I admittedly have barely ever touched SMBX's level editor, but I remember even back in the day being turned off from how much people were able to do right off the bat.
The way I see it, there's always going to be people who make levels in things like this. And there's going to be good ones and bad ones. Since I'm more familiar with SMW hacks than SMBX (I am pointedly avoiding SMBX 2.0 like the plague, myself) via raocow's LPs, I've seen *so* many exceptionally bad hacks. They may be impressive on a technical level, but dear god, they are horrid in execution. It's not a system's "limitations" or how "easy" or "hard" to use an editor is that leads to amazing things, but what one *does* with it.

Besides, let's face it: The "it's so easy, so all these NEWBS are getting into it, and I no longer feel special because of my skill at something harder to use!" excuse is... honestly kind of lame and overly "exclusive".
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh, I'm definitely not saying Lunar Magic is ever something I've ever been good at. The most advanced thing I ever did in it was a shitty MaGL2 level and another shitty Tails155 knockoff level for A2MT. But it seemed to me that with the limitations of SMW you had to compensate with creativity, whereas with SMBX you can basically just do anything and wow people with flashy aesthetics without having to actually do a good level. I watched an episode of one of the collab hacks one time (can't remember which) and there was some meme level with a bunch of like Sanic jokes and whatnot in it. Bad SMW levels were usually just muncher spam or flat, barren plains that don't require you to do much. But bad SMBX levels can be as garbage as the mind will allow.

I'm talking mostly from a player perspective rather than a level maker one.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

That still sounds like an elitist "it's too accessible so it's lame" comment as YelseyKing pointed out.

If you can make something creative and neat with a limited tool, then that makes you a skilled level designer, but that doesn't make the tool better. I remember someone making the same argument in favor of SMBX back when it was the more limited tool only be to be told this same kind of response.