(shouting)

All Pro-Wrestling thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

All Pro-Wrestling thread

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Anyone watch wrestling? Whether it's WWE, Lucha Underground, NJPW, or even TNA, or the countless indy promotions out there, go and discuss. Or something. Been an interesting couple of years for pro-wrestling as a whole: with WWE slowly changing things up just a wee bit, not to mention the WWE debut of wrestlers that were previously thought of as highly unlikely getting on WWE. Nicer still is the renewed importance of the women's division, coming a long way 10 years ago when a large majority of women's wrestling in the WWE was a joke.

On a different note, a different type of interest is coming from the promotion known as TNA. Like seriously, the amount of goof-ups and mismanagement this promotion has created is a mixture of laughable and headache inducing. Top of my head example; the owner of TNA accidentally emailing the execs of the TV station that TNA airs in, said email calling TV execs dummies. Yet somehow the promotion continues to be alive, like some sort of zombie mixed with the Black Knight of Monty Python.

So... anyone watch? Or watched before?
Bean
Yep.

Re: All Pro-Wrestling thread

Post by Bean »

I used to watch WWE and TNA weekly back in the mid-2000s and will catch ROH every now and then lately before their best talent not named Jay Lethal and Adam Cole is picked up by the other two companies. I think the Royal Rumble a couple of years back was the one where I had my last straw moment with WWE. TNA's great at not using anyone properly, but I've posted The Final Deletion thing on here before. That was probably the best thing wrestling-related this year.

ROH is a nice little show, but they always feel like a stepping stone to other companies. WWE and TNA take talent, and NJPW walks all over them every time there's a joint show. Oh, that reminds me, NJPW is pretty good, too.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Bean wrote:I used to watch WWE and TNA weekly back in the mid-2000s and will catch ROH every now and then lately before their best talent not named Jay Lethal and Adam Cole is picked up by the other two companies. I think the Royal Rumble a couple of years back was the one where I had my last straw moment with WWE. TNA's great at not using anyone properly, but I've posted The Final Deletion thing on here before. That was probably the best thing wrestling-related this year.

ROH is a nice little show, but they always feel like a stepping stone to other companies. WWE and TNA take talent, and NJPW walks all over them every time there's a joint show. Oh, that reminds me, NJPW is pretty good, too.
Just guessing... if it was a few years ago, did it involve a certain Roman Reigns, or was it Batista? Either way, the reaction for those two winning the Rumble in recent years has been... really bad. I'm a moderation on a big wrestling forum, and the live discussion thread during those times... hoo boy.

On the Batista win, on the bright side WWE took the hint eventually and gave the spotlight to Daniel Bryan, though sadly it ended really bittersweet. As for Roman Reigns... hoo boy again. WWE management has an amazing fixation on trying to make the guy top dog. Like replacing Cena at his peak levels of bad at times. As cliche as it sounds, the guy needs to turn heel.

On the bright side, Smackdown has been booked much better than Raw where Roman is. Like seriously, we have polls weekly on which show is the better brand of the week, and nearly every time Smackdown gets an overwhelming majority. Main eventers, women's division, tag teams... general opinion is that Smackdown is doing a better job booking their crew than Raw. Heck, even the Usos, once thought of as stale at the best of times, are finally getting the interest on them once they became heels. Those two were stuck in the same gimmick with no changes at all for years, and them becoming heels is a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, as for other promotions, Lucha Underground is an interesting format, being treated as a TV show with seasons and all. Sadly, only season 1 is being aired at a TV channel in my area at the moment... and the English subtitles on some parts are covered up with Chinese subtitles.

Final Deletion is so over the top, and yeah, it's pretty good. Matt's really sticking to kayfabe on that one, judging from a few recent interviews from him. That said, a lot of attention is on the future of the promotion as a whole. Lots of moments over the years where it seemed like TNA was on its last breath, and somehow it finds a way to stay alive. Most recent was just barely a week ago, even.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Finally, a thread to post this in.

To this day, I still wonder if it was referencing Death Note.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Truhan wrote:Finally, a thread to post this in.

That reminds me, some weeks ago there were even DELETE chants during RAW.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The 2015 Royal Rumble was what did me in. It was awful. I think I've maybe watched a few shows since then, although one of those was a very good episode of SmackDown recently. That show seems to be the one for wrestling fans.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Bean wrote:The 2015 Royal Rumble was what did me in. It was awful. I think I've maybe watched a few shows since then, although one of those was a very good episode of SmackDown recently. That show seems to be the one for wrestling fans.
Ahh, the one where Roman Reigns won, where the final four was him, Rusev, Kane and Big Show. The one where having the Rock rescue Reigns didn't help at all and the the crowd kept on booing.

But yeah, WWE and NXT is much better in booking.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Well lemme tell ya something, brother
That crazy voice dude
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

For some more wrestling related hilarity, I bring to you botch-tastic Sin Cara (the original one) theme song, set to the tune of Spiderman's theme song:

Works best with the botchamania video, though (starts at 3:33, and the song is sped up somewhat):

Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

aka Cthulhu wrote:
Truhan wrote:Finally, a thread to post this in.

That reminds me, some weeks ago there were even DELETE chants during RAW.
Compare and contrast.

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

I don't watch wrestling anymore, but I do love botchamania
That crazy voice dude
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

So, Total Divas (and the current spinoff show Total Bellas) ain't my thing at all, not to mention that since it's a "reality show" one has to take things with a grain of salt... but there's something just funny about kinda neurotic and pretty OCD John Cena.

aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

So unlucky for me. WWE PPVs get aired here on TV for free, usually live (though due to commercials there's a slight time delay the longer the show goes), but with the way PPVs are now, only the RAW PPVs are aired while the Smackdown PPVs so far seem to be network-only.

Like, yeah, it can be watched on a computer via the network, but watching while lazing about on a couch is more fun. Plus, so far Smackdown is better storyline-wise.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

The PPV No Mercy just finished a couple of hours ago. Haven't watched yet, but from what I heard the show was more or less average. Doesn't help that the women's champion Becky Lynch was announced injured a day before the show, which is just bad timing overall. Tag team match and triple threat championship match were good, and Miz vs. Ziggler was great, though the end result of the match seems to have soured opinions over it.

Generally, most people didn't see it to be as great as the previous Smackdown PPV, and the expectations were high from the solid Smackdown shows leading up to the PPV.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

And now, for some zaniness from the Great Muta.

Of course, this is more of a great entrance than anything, but somehow in this match Muta sprays green mist on a woman, who somehow gets pregnant and lays and egg and it hatches into a giant wrestler.

I got nothing. Trying to say it seriously doesn't seem to remove the crazy from the statement.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There used to be a video of Lex Luger taking that Muta mist and somehow passing out from it. He was always one of the more unintentionally hilarious wrestlers I remember.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Lex Luger reminded me, I guess I should post that The Death of WCW (the best wrestling book ever) is on Audible. So, go do one of those free trials everyone and their mother has for their youtube channel and pick it up.

Also, Asuka is best waifu. Just Saiyan.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Truhan wrote:Lex Luger reminded me, I guess I should post that The Death of WCW (the best wrestling book ever) is on Audible. So, go do one of those free trials everyone and their mother has for their youtube channel and pick it up.

Also, Asuka is best waifu. Just Saiyan.
Even though it hasn't happened yet, a book on the downfall of TNA would be money waiting to happen. Seriously, think of all the crazy things TNA has done: the fingerpoke of doom almost feels tame compared to sending out a visibly high/drunk Jeff Hardy for a main event match. Likewise, a book on all the things Vince McMahon has done would be great as well. Such as his love for snowcones for some odd reason, and the most recent story I heard was him sneaking around a plane and throwing candies at the sleeping wrestlers.

Also, Asuka is scary. She indeed is best waifu.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Please, WCW regularly sent out drunk Kevin Nash and Scott Hall to perform. You'll have to wait on the Vince McMahon biography, I think Meltzer has said he has no plans of writing one until Vince dies (then he'll decide whether or not to actually do it).
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Fair point. Either way, a book detailing all the lows of TNA should be interesting nonetheless, and somehow TNA is around 14 years old... that's a lot of stories worth, I reckon. Obviously, there's some good in there as well, but the more interesting (and funnier) stories would most likely be about the dumb things that happened.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Sure, but there's a plenty adequate one here for now.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Oh, and if that's not enough LOLTNA history for you, here's some more: They're currently under TWO lawsuits. First, the production company they never paid is finally suing for the money they never received plus interest (it's close to a year late on the payments). Second, Billy Corgan is suing because of stuff that went down during buyout negotiations. It appears he funded the latest set of tapings, and when he found out he wasn't getting the company, he demanded the money back. Obviously, the money is used up. If I had to take a guess, he probably thought he had a deal set and funded the tapings as a show of good will only to find out Dixie is still negotiating a sale to WWE and others. Billy was their last ally, Arolux seems to be moving away from TNA too, I don't see how they can fund the next set of tapings.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Yeah, it's being discussed on the forum I mod in. Considering the news a couple of weeks ago, it may be another 100-page thread. One other thing of note is that apparently some of the theme songs of the wrestlers were pulled out of the tapings due to some issues with the composer of said things.

TNA feels like they've been knocking on death's door so many times that a revolving door has been installed, but perhaps this may be the year when they kick the bucket.
aka Cthulhu

Post by aka Cthulhu »

The party doesn't seem to stop. Seems like TNA owes money to the state of Tennessee. It's a freaking conga line of misfortune in the span of a few days.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Oh boy. Word is out on how much TNA owes. It's $3.4 million. Some wrestlers are so behind on being paid that they're preparing to declare themselves free agents. TNA has sold part of its tape library to The Fight Network (whom they also owe money to), but with that high amount of debt, I don't think WWE will buy them. Word is they only wanted to pay about $1 million for TNA's total tape library.