(shouting)

The Hockey Topic

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Bean
Yep.

The Hockey Topic

Post by Bean »

Hockey is the greatest sport on the planet. It's springtime which means the Stanley Cup playoffs are now underway. The best of the best are going at it, tempers are running wild, and officials are doing their best to get a big market team to advance. Well, I kid about the last part, but the officiating has been pretty poor across the board so far. Sixteen teams are left, none of which are Canadian, because Canadian hockey players that play in America are better than Canadian players that play in Canada this year.

[Stanley Cup Final]

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks - Penguins lead 2-0

[Western Conference Playoffs]

West Finals
St. Louis Blues vs. San Jose Sharks - Sharks win 4-2

West Semifinals
Dallas Stars vs. St. Louis Blues - Blues win 4-3
San Jose Sharks vs. Nashville Predators - Sharks win 4-3

West Quarterfinals
Dallas Stars vs. Minnesota Wild - Stars win 4-2
St. Louis Blues vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Blues win 4-3
Anaheim Ducks vs. Nashville Predators - Predators win 4-3
Los Angeles Kings vs. San Jose Sharks - Sharks win 4-1

[Eastern Conference Playoffs]

East Finals
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Tampa Bay Lightning - Penguins win 4-3

East Semifinals
Washington Capitals vs. Pittsburgh Penguins - Penguins win 4-2
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders - Lightning win 4-1

East Quarterfinals
Washington Capitals vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Capitals win 4-2
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Rangers - Penguins win 4-1
Florida Panthers vs. New York Islanders - Islanders win 4-2
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Detroit Red Wings - Lightning win 4-1

Who you got? And if you don't have anyone but still like hockey, come on in. I love this sport.
Last edited by Bean 7 years ago, edited 28 times in total.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Re: The Hockey Topic

Post by Telamon »

How will the Caps blow it this year!?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I want to see some team win their first Cup this year. It doesn't have to be the Blues even though I want it to be, but I am so tired of the Chicago and Los Angeles show lately.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Yeah, that's generally my opinion, too. Last thing I want to see is one of our leagues turning into the freaking Premiere League.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

I only have some farm team in my town called "Macon Mayhem"
That crazy voice dude
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Near Ft. Myers, Florida there's a minor league team called the "Florida Everblades," it's the best.

I remember when the Thrashers left Atlanta, I was divided about it. On one hand, it's despicable that we have teams in Florida and Texas and Georgia, but hardly any in Canada, but on the other hand I really like the name Thrashers because Georgia is one of the few states with a cool state bird.

Also, as I was typing this I got a text from my dad saying he'd just seen his first Brown Thrasher of the season, so that's pretty crazy.
zmonbobbo
Haustone Tournament Semifinalist
Hey there! I'm a dude!
First name: Zach
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by zmonbobbo »

My local hockey team, the Shreveport Mudbugs, folded about five years ago, but they're making a comeback in September! I used to go to a few games a year when I could, but my parents couldn't afford to buy a bunch of tickets at the time. Now that I'm employed, I might buy season tickets. Hyped!

As for NHL... eh. I casually root for the Blues because my brother arbitrarily picked them as his team, but I've always had trouble establishing a rooting interest in a team if I pick them with no real reason. In the NFL and NBA, I root for the Louisianan teams, and in baseball, the Astros are close enough geographically that I can forget my anti-Texas sport bias. I'm a fan of the game, but I just never picked a team, and that's pretty unfortunate!
I'm probably driving right now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Minor league hockey is fine. Obviously that's not too big of a deal near where I'm at since there are a few pro teams within a few hours of each other (Blues, Hawks, Predators).
Telamon wrote:How will the Caps blow it this year!?
Well, they're halfway there now!
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Bean wrote:Well, they're halfway there now!
feelsbadman.jpg
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Goodbye, Los Angeles! Thank you, Sharks.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Meanwhile, my Blues are almost done with another playoff collapse of their own. Oh boy!
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

So, Caps pulled it back. Current theory is they decided it would be more painful to lose to the hated Penguins instead.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That was a great day of hockey action capped off with a double OT goal to win it for the Islanders. I wish I wouldn't have been working at the time to have seen Minnesota's third period comeback that came up just short.

Anyway, tomorrow is the first Game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Please let it be St. Louis that wins... PLEASE.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I am a very happy Bean right now over that result. That was great!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Capitals still looking good even when they're playing bad. Helps when Oshie gets a hat trick, including that sweet game-winner in overtime.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

At this point, it's like I'm talking to myself, but it's not fun watching the Blues blow a game like they did tonight. That's the kind of thing that usually dooms them in a playoff series. Oh well. Nothing ever comes easy for this team, and being tied 2-2 is better than being down 3-1. Sorry, Telamon.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

You anticipated my response, lol.

DC sports are definitely at the point where I just assume the worst is what's going to happen, so whatever. I feel like I'm not really that bothered by it any more.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, the Caps hung in there and picked up a gritty win yesterday. Good for them. I still think they can come back on Pittsburgh.

My favorite sports teams are the Blues and Cubs, two teams that just don't win, so years like this make me feel good. Win this series in six, Blues. It's been fifteen years since I've seen you in the conference finals.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Game 7 again for my team, huh? Awesome stuff! ...Oh boy.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

These playoffs have been amazing this year. So many close games. Not last night's Game 7 for my Blues, but that's okay. I don't need all of them to be so dramatic. Seriously though, you all are missing some great hockey action here. We're guaranteed a team that has never won the Stanley Cup before in the finals on the Western Conference side now that Dallas is gone, and Pittsburgh vs. Tampa Bay should be awesome, too.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

I'm probably rooting for the Blues right now? Just because they beat Dallas, and all Dallas teams get contact hate from the Cowboys. Also, all the other teams are from places that are too damn warm for hockey anyway.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, Pittsburgh gets temps like we do in St. Louis. I don't care who makes it in the east. I just want to see the Blues in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in my life.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And things were looking so nice after Game 1, too... Sigh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It was a good season for the Blues. It was a better one for the Sharks. Now excuse me while I wonder what could've been for my team if they played like they did in those last ten minutes the previous couple of games. At least I still have the Cubs... Oh, for crying out loud.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Looks like you were the last thread regular with a stake in the playoffs, too. See ya all next season, folks!