(shouting)

Meta [Bug reports/Site updates]

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Re: Meta [Bug reports/Site updates]

Post by No Lynch »

Jayoshi wrote:http://signavatar.com
I tried that just earlier today and couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'm just dense.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

I'm with No Lynch, I tried several rotating avatar hosting sites and none of their links worked with talkhaus.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

That's.... impossible. Pholtos, Horikawa and Alice use Signavatar. Maybe you just need to change the ending to .png instead?
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

Apparently it's carried over from before they stopped working, as a sort of 'grandfather bug', as it were. I've tried setting all of them to .gif, .png and .jpg.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think Rednaxela uses something special for their avatar rotation and can still change it. You could try asking them for how they do it.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Just wanted to add that yes, rotating avatars like signavatar don't work since Rena updated to this version of phpBB (or whatever the hell it was). Only those users who previously had the url in (like me, pholtos, Alice, etc) can still use them. If we remove/change our avatars, we lose them.

Anyway, I have an issue. I went to the user control panel to de-Halloween-ify my profile, and now I'm getting that I'm apparently blocked. (see attachment)
I checked the stopforumspam site and while my user and email aren't there, my IP apparently matches some other people that have been blocked in the past couple months.

What do?
Attachments
why.png
why.png (15.55 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

GlitchedGhost wrote:What do?
The FAQ there leads to here.
http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I would do one of the 3 things listed. It happens occasionally to me, too, when I'm on my phone - I don't know really much else about it other than there's nothing we can do here (to my knowledge)

On a related/irrelevant note, my work's IP is blocked from wikipedia cause there's a (couple?) people that keep defacing wikipedia articles (some of them are kind of funny), I'm not sure what your internet situation is but yeah.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Willhart wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:What do?
The FAQ there leads to here.
http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal
Call me completely dense, didn't even see that.
I sent my request in.
This is really, really stupid though.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

pholtos wrote:I think this is out of their hands, it was due to the host uhh forum... thing updating, if I recall correctly.
Yeah, it's a forum update that broke it. Pretty sure it's for security reasons because allowing stuff like that means that someone could link a malicious script to their avatar.
Jayoshi wrote:That's.... impossible. Pholtos, Horikawa and Alice use Signavatar. Maybe you just need to change the ending to .png instead?
Like GlitchedGhost said it's a sort of grandfathering thing. It works for us because we were already using Signavatar when the forums were updated and stopped people from using stuff like that. I haven't bothered testing it myself but I think the only possible way to use something like that now would be for someone with direct database access (which is most likely only Rena) to go and manually change your avatar in the database since that would bypass the checks put in place to prevent this sort of thing. That'd be asking a fair bit from Rena though.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Alice wrote:
pholtos wrote:I think this is out of their hands, it was due to the host uhh forum... thing updating, if I recall correctly.
Yeah, it's a forum update that broke it. Pretty sure it's for security reasons because allowing stuff like that means that someone could link a malicious script to their avatar.
To be more specific, from what I gather, when you try to set a remote avatar URL, the forum software tries to fetch the URL you put in, and verify that it's a valid image before saving the setting.

Now in the past, it would follow HTTP redirects to decide that it's a valid image, but for some reason (possibly security as Alice says, though that seems like very weak protection to me) as of the current update of the forum software it will no longer follow HTTP redirects when doing this validation check.

The way Signavatar is designed, they dynamically generate HTTP redirects to different static image URLs, and this is how they do rotation. Technically one doesn't have to do this approach, if they instead didn't use a redirect and just directly served the rotating images from the same URL, the forum software wouldn't have a problem with it. This would however have increased bandwidth usage in the aggregate, as browsers could not cache the images from the rotation when they don't have distinct redirected URLs.
</techramble>
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Rednaxela wrote:The way Signavatar is designed, they dynamically generate HTTP redirects to different static image URLs, and this is how they do rotation. Technically one doesn't have to do this approach, if they instead didn't use a redirect and just directly served the rotating images from the same URL, the forum software wouldn't have a problem with it. This would however have increased bandwidth usage in the aggregate, as browsers could not cache the images from the rotation when they don't have distinct redirected URLs.
</techramble>
Yeah, if you had a script that ran at a specific interval to switch the image at a given url it'd work since the site would treat it as an image still. Also it may be possible to trick the site actually. If you have your own server you should be able to put an actual image as your avatar then replace that image on your server with a php script that loads a random image from a directory. I haven't actually tried that though since I just thought of it but I think it should work since that check is only done when you try to set your avatar and not afterwards.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Well shucks. Since SignAvatar doesn't host pictures itself but only links to other places that host images (see Frequently Asked Questions), this would be a problem for its users.

I tried searching for relevant recent news or posts about phpBB-SignAvatar and related stuff but I haven't found anything so far.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Would it be possible to make the Hall Of Fame somehow useful again? Having a good place to retire especially good threads when they have run their course would be a good idea. Of course people probably don't know about it anymore though.
viewforum.php?f=42

Edit: The First Screenshot thing (Choice of robots) could maybe go there for example.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

I got blocked by stopforumspam again. I have requested my removal. Again.
Can't you guys do something about it? This is the second time within a week I have gotten blocked just because my IP happens to match the same ones some spambots have used. It just seems to be causing more issues than not, and I know Koba was having issues with it, too, even if he didn't come back. (Wasn't there others, too?)
You have to have other means to stop spambots besides this faulty thing.
He captured!
Holy

Post by Holy »

Soooooooooooooooo can we just get rid of that stop forum spam thing? I have now been blocked literally one million times.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Holy wrote:Soooooooooooooooo can we just get rid of that stop forum spam thing? I have now been blocked literally one million times.
Me too (when I use my VPNs).
If I'm not mistaken, they tell you not to use it for that reason. I'm usually blocked when I have my vpn turned on as well (which isn't often).
He captured!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Guys I did it. I found the cron.
cron.png
cron.png (445 Bytes) Viewed 5847 times
What do I win?

(It appeared in the lower-left corner of this thread here which raocow should not click on if he happens to be seeing this post but it seems not to be showing up anymore. I dunno what its deal is but it's apparently a 1x1 gif in its spare time?)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

http://raocow.com/ is not loading for me and for some other people. It's giving the error above.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

That reminds me, the other day I was trying to watch some MAGLX2 videos on the site and got an error of some kind. I was able to watch other videos, though.

I can't remember the exact error, and I can't check for more details right now because I'm getting the error mentioned in the previous post.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Trevormark
Anthropomorphic Personification of Laziness

Post by Trevormark »

I've been having this problem too, for a few days now. I assumed that it would be back to normal after a day or two, but now I'm starting to get worried.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

If you're wondering why all the spoiler codes do the blackout thing now it's cause the one you have to click it's cause it breaks the forums slightly. I'm not sure if there's any way to fix it but if there is I'll do that instead. In the meantime you just have this. Enjoy for now

If you know the other issue, I'm aware but I don't want to change that unless I have to
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The ispoiler only works for text, doesn't it?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

hopefully argu & friends can find a more permanent solution than "completely remove blockspoilers"
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

it might be possible to correct that glitch by adding a new BBCode for <quote>[TEXT1]<spoiler>[TEXT2]</quote>[TEXT3]</spoiler> that essentially utilizes the same code as <quote>[TEXT1]<spoiler>[TEXT2]</spoiler>[TEXT3]</quote>. I can't remember if it's possible to add multiple text zones, but it should be.
(Formerly Jayoshi)