(shouting)

Meta [Bug reports/Site updates]

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Meta [Bug reports/Site updates]

Post by ano0maly »

Would it be a good idea, if there's a prolonged discussion with lengthy posts about a specific subject in the shoutbox, to encourage people to go to an actual thread?

The shoutbox is basically chatroom lite and it's not the most convenient place to engage in in-depth discussions. Also, I think abusing the shoutbox is an avoidable factor in the forums being underused, because conversations that could go to their individual threads are ending up in this megathread instead. And the shoutbox is right in the frontpage; people may not always find pleasing to see these conversations in the frontpage shoutbox when they would make more sense in dedicated threads.
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

Screenshot_20210619-012601~2.png
Screenshot_20210619-012601~2.png (45.74 KiB) Viewed 3596 times
Looking at the shoutbox archive on mobile, I see this odd usergroup at the bottom of the page (sweepstakers). When I check it out, it says that it doesn't exist. Is this an issue?
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

ano0maly wrote: 2 years ago Would it be a good idea, if there's a prolonged discussion with lengthy posts about a specific subject in the shoutbox, to encourage people to go to an actual thread?

The shoutbox is basically chatroom lite and it's not the most convenient place to engage in in-depth discussions. Also, I think abusing the shoutbox is an avoidable factor in the forums being underused, because conversations that could go to their individual threads are ending up in this megathread instead. And the shoutbox is right in the frontpage; people may not always find pleasing to see these conversations in the frontpage shoutbox when they would make more sense in dedicated threads.
agreed btw i just didn't really want to get involved, if any prolonged discussions go on in there they should probably be asked to make a thread for it instead and i wish we had mod tools to just automatically do it
ultratowel112 wrote: 2 years ago Screenshot_20210619-012601~2.png

Looking at the shoutbox archive on mobile, I see this odd usergroup at the bottom of the page (sweepstakers). When I check it out, it says that it doesn't exist. Is this an issue?
it's from back when we did the contest center in it but maybe there's no visible users in it anymore for normal users
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

can I suggest at least one of these as a new emote?
Honk.png
Honk.png (297 Bytes) Viewed 3542 times
Honk2.png
Honk2.png (294 Bytes) Viewed 3542 times
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

The JUMP 1/2 subforum should be archived.
Also, the LAX thread in the projects showcase forum should be deleted since it was created by a re-reg of aterraformer (raocow has banned alternateSMW already)
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Kincyr wrote: 2 years ago can I suggest at least one of these as a new emote?

Honk.png
Honk2.png
oh yeah I forgot about this but I have no objections :honk:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I noted this in private a few times before, but I daresay we don't need the contest rules thread anymore.

Everyone that's posting contests here is skirting around, if not ignoring, the rules posted in the thread. The contest-manager-turned-mod is no longer active on talkhaus for reasons that we all know. Other than the VGM contests, nearly all threads for the past 4 years or so have been just advertisements from offsite, and I don't see the need for an already not-plentiful contest activity to be hindered by an outdated rules thread no one is trying to abide by anyway.

Thought of this came up while checking out the MAGL4 discussion thread that's been made outside the purview of the contest rules thread and its OP.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so it's been two days but the shoutbox isn't letting me post
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

can we either get :lesbian_pride: replaced with Image or can the latter be added also as a funny emote. i can make a ver that fits the like, Measurements of the current talkhaus flags

older lesbian flag is kinda naughty, newer one has nice colors. who doesnt like orange
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

idol wrote: 2 years ago can we either get :lesbian_pride: replaced with Image or can the latter be added also as a funny emote. i can make a ver that fits the like, Measurements of the current talkhaus flags

older lesbian flag is kinda naughty, newer one has nice colors. who doesnt like orange
i don't mind either but yeah I can change it to the other one, tbh I like that one better and never noticed the one in the flag pack we have isn't it
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

:lesbian_pride: love it thankyou
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

idol wrote: 2 years ago :lesbian_pride: love it thankyou
:lesbian_pride: :lesbian_pride: :lesbian_pride: nyoro~n
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

yo speaking of flags: genderfluid pride flag when? we don't happen to have one Exactly for the talkhaus emote proportions tho :o
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago yo speaking of flags: genderfluid pride flag when? we don't happen to have one Exactly for the talkhaus emote proportions tho :o
no probs I can make one that matches easily enough, it just helps to have a reference so I know I've got the right one nyoro~n

:genderfluid_pride:
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

rena wrote: 2 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago yo speaking of flags: genderfluid pride flag when? we don't happen to have one Exactly for the talkhaus emote proportions tho :o
no probs I can make one that matches easily enough, it just helps to have a reference so I know I've got the right one nyoro~n

:genderfluid_pride:
YOOOO :pal: :genderfluid_pride:
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

we eating like kings
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

twitter embeds are just links with fancy borders, at least on the shoutbox
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago twitter embeds are just links with fancy borders, at least on the shoutbox
it works for me ™
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago twitter embeds are just links with fancy borders, at least on the shoutbox
oh on desktop it literally is just a link, but at least it works I guess? tbh I didn't intentionally add the media previews to the shoutbox so much as I didn't know how to remove them, so maybe it's fine
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

I changed PM priveleges so that you get them at 10 posts, if anyone doesn't have PM priveleges but has 10 posts then it broke and @ me nyoro~n
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

I've had talkhaus randomly download files a couple of times recently when loading pages (or clicking the links to those pages, I guess). They have short nonsense names and are zero bytes large, so I'm not sure what that's about, I've just deleted them. On the Discord, Koba also mentioned something similar happening (but a download prompt instead, I believe, probably because of a difference in OS and/or browser). It might be something to be concerned about?
Screenshot_20220521_120543.png
Screenshot_20220521_120543.png (15.23 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
a
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago I've had talkhaus randomly download files a couple of times recently when loading pages (or clicking the links to those pages, I guess). They have short nonsense names and are zero bytes large, so I'm not sure what that's about, I've just deleted them. On the Discord, Koba also mentioned something similar happening (but a download prompt instead, I believe, probably because of a difference in OS and/or browser). It might be something to be concerned about?

hmm dunno about that I'll keep an eye out though
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

tentatively (unless other admins have extra input) tweaked the shoutbox rules a bit since tbh I didn't realise there was both a limit on how long you could edit a post for plus an infinite multi-post limit, lol:
  • allow deletion (same time limit as editing)
  • allow multiple posts in a row up to a limit (forgot exactly what I set but it can be tweaked)
  • add a 120 second post timer (we'll see if that's low enough)
I do still recommend taking discussions into threads when they start developing, but we'll see how this goes
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

makogoggles makogoggles makogoggles
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

rena wrote: 1 year ago
Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago I've had talkhaus randomly download files a couple of times recently when loading pages (or clicking the links to those pages, I guess). They have short nonsense names and are zero bytes large, so I'm not sure what that's about, I've just deleted them. On the Discord, Koba also mentioned something similar happening (but a download prompt instead, I believe, probably because of a difference in OS and/or browser). It might be something to be concerned about?

hmm dunno about that I'll keep an eye out though
It doesn't seem to be happening any more, so I guess it fixed itself or something.
a