(shouting)

Talkhaus IRC Call of Cthulhu RPG recruitment thread! \o/

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
UnclePutte
Potatoes do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready
First name: Putte

Talkhaus IRC Call of Cthulhu RPG recruitment thread! \o/

Post by UnclePutte »

Hey kids, do you like mind-numbing horrors from beyond space and time? Forbidden knowledge? Impossible violation of the laws of physics? Tentacles? If so, then boy, you're in the right place! This thread exists for the very purpose of allowing you to create an imaginary human facsimile, and make them hug the above-mentioned sweethearts!

For a more clear explanation, I would like to run an adventure or two for RPG-enjoying decent or indecent folks hereabout. The game in question would be the time-tested and well-loved Call of Cthulhu, 6th Edition, and the setting would be in the good ol' 1920's.

Free QuickStart rules, for all your basic Cthulhuing needs: Fillable snazzy deco character sheets available here: Post here to express your interest here first, before submitting a character! We'll preferrably roll them in a way that allows me to witness it being done. You can usually find me loitering at irc.rena.so #talkhaus, the talkhaus irc channel, so just poke me over there if you want to do the rolls. My apologies for being nitpicky about this, but I am big on seeing the rolls themselves, and in addition, I will offer certain package deals for rerolls. Also, I request that you post the timezone you occupy, so we can stitch together a schedule of attendance, an important thing in internet gaming.

The scenario will be one of my own writing, and follows the lines of traditional independent Call of Cthulhu scenarios. In addition, I intend to log the sessions, and write a "Let's Play" of the results, for the talkhauser's thrill and pleasure! I've invariably forgotten some important parts of this introductory post, but no matter, I'll fill in afterwards.

So, without further ado - Let's Cthulhu! :mrgreen:

EDIT: As IRC has been a bit unreliable as of late, I am re-designating our primary meeting place to https://rolz.org/dr?room=Call%20of%20Cthulhu%20Talkhaus
Last edited by UnclePutte 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Talkhaus IRC Call of Cthulhu RPG recruitment thread! \o/

Post by Sorel »

I always wanted to play a nice round of a Roleplay.

Count me in.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
spittySynthyHands
A Projection of Memory onto Reality

Post by spittySynthyHands »

Why yes I am terrified of dangers from the edges of sanity, do count me in.

Oh wait, timezone is gmt -4:30
Last edited by spittySynthyHands 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
For more información please reread this post.
UnclePutte
Potatoes do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready

Post by UnclePutte »

Hooray! Two vi- ahem - players already! Welcome aboard!

To celebrate this active interest taken to my little project, I provide you with motivational entertainment materiel: (I take no responsibility of SAN checks caused by video.)
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

this looks neat and I'd love to join in if I have time
:nb_pride:
Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Post by Animita »

I'm intrigued but I havent really done any tabletop role play?
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

Inexperience is not a problem - I recommend reading the quickstart rules in the original post, and then going from there!

In addition, here is some recorded material that may aid you in getting a clearer idea of the undertaking you are... well, taking under. :mrgreen:
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

update: I'm not gonna have time to do this it looks like. I am sorry!!
:nb_pride:
Animita

Post by Animita »

NGL this is the reason I wanna play kinda(watched this before the thread).

Also just for clarifcation cause im am #dumb we're doing this in IRC chat or in like a call or something.
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

I'm aiming for IRC. I know Skype would be convenient, but... I'm terribly embarrassed by my dracula-like accent and stuffynosed grunty voice that I find it more appealing to use IRC. :oops:

I'm currently trying to work out how to use dice roller bots and the like in IRC, so once I get that done, and once we find a fourth player, we can start rolling characters and scheduling.
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

Apologiez for double-posting, but I felt it important to bump the thread a little so that all willing participants see a new post has been made.

It seems the flow of new applicants has ground to a halt. As such, I should like to posit you, my dear three signees, a question. Do you feel brave enough to try the game with only 3 investigators? I'll have to tell you that the fewer there are investigators, the harder scenarios tend to become, and the more daunting their tasks. Have you the bravery to face the gloopy evils of the cosmos undernumbered? Or shall we wait for more volunteers? :o
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Actually, the harder it becomes, the better. For me at least...

Well, I leave it up to the other investigators to decide.
spittySynthyHands

UnclePutte wrote:Apologiez for double-posting, but I felt it important to bump the thread a little so that all willing participants see a new post has been made.

It seems the flow of new applicants has ground to a halt. As such, I should like to posit you, my dear three signees, a question. Do you feel brave enough to try the game with only 3 investigators? I'll have to tell you that the fewer there are investigators, the harder scenarios tend to become, and the more daunting their tasks. Have you the bravery to face the gloopy evils of the cosmos undernumbered? Or shall we wait for more volunteers? :o
An additional meatsh- volunteer will probably not make things that much easier, nor will it cut down on the FUN.

In this case, additional danger only adds to the thrill.

So I'm definitely okay starting with only 3 of us.
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

Alright! I'll wait for Animita's word on whether 3 is a good number, before starting preparations.

In the meantime, I would like to give you a few assignments! Hooray!

First - if you would, please introduce yourselves to eachother here, so that we can get a more conversational mood going. It helps keeping the thread alive, and it also helps to break the ice and ease collaboration! I don't need you to tell anything personal apart from your timezone, which is necessary for scheduling. Instead, give me a word or two on what you look forward to in the game, and what kind of character you'd most like to play.

Second assignment - it is easy for a keeper to bring complete strangers together for a game, but oftentimes it is actually more entertaining to play out tried and true stereotypes of CoC! So would you like your characters to know eachother in some way - for example, by all being workers in the same private detective agency? The PI angle is a classic! Or maybe a ghost-spotting club? Or perhaps employees in an "occult journal" or "weird news magazine"? A genealogy study group? A group of bored students? Early era UFO spotters? The world is your oyster, so think of something fun!

Third assignment - find a "portrait" for your character. Any person or character in the world that has enough recorded expressions to make for a fun variety will do. Working examples would be, say, Clark Gable, Bruce Willis, Greta Garbo, Mario, Princess Peach, McGyver, any variety of anime characters, TV or movie stars, et cetera. I intend to use them as "reaction images" for when I write down the "after-report" in story form, telling the gristly tale of what faced the brave TalkHausers.

Oh, and finally, I'll have to remind you that the game is set in the 1920's east-coast America, regarding your choices. Prohibition, Al Capone, Elliot Ness, aftermath of the Great War, the works. So the private detective theme is very Humphrey Bogarty, for example. :mrgreen:
Skully
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skully »

Room for one more?
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

Hells to the yeas there is room for one more. Read up, and throw your hat in the ring!
Skully
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skully »

Alrighty then, reading through the PDFs now! Also -7.00 Time Zone.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Oh right, my time zone. GMT + 1.
Animita

Post by Animita »

I'd been okay with 3 but we seem to be alright. I'm still a bit wary of doing this but oh well.

Time Zone:Central Standard (UTC -6:00)

Off to real the rules/ character craft
spittySynthyHands

My timezone continues to be GMT-4:30, though odds are better than not that I'm going to be online.

I also have no real idea what character to play, but I figure I can probably decide when I roll?
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

spittySynthyHands wrote:My timezone continues to be GMT-4:30, though odds are better than not that I'm going to be online.

I also have no real idea what character to play, but I figure I can probably decide when I roll?
That's quite alright.

Also, to everyone - on the talkhaus IRC channel, there is now a room, #TalkhausOfCthulhu, where I intend to keep the game. Please step in at your leisure, and let me know when you want to start rolling a character. Also step in for general conversation between players, such as mutually planning for characters, thinking of a common background, et cetera.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a load of things right now, but no matter - do stop by! :mrgreen:
UnclePutte

Post by UnclePutte »

Alright, we have our first character created, and Animita is well underway! :P

How is everyone's schedules on Sunday 1st of March? I'm considering it for the first game day. We can also delay if people need time to work with their MAGLX levels, or are otherwise engaged.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

The date's fine by me.

However, how am I supposed to access the talkhaus IRC now? The thread got taken down (for... what reason again?) and I can't seem to access it. (maybe because I have no idea how to use IRC)
Animita

Post by Animita »

First is fine.
Skull make sure ya get your dude done K.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Is it too late to maybe consider taking part?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).