(shouting)

on the recent addition of the Pronouns box

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

okay so I guess this goes here in the gazebo? if it doesn't please inform me
I'm legitimately really really happy this was added because it makes referring to people a lot simpler and!! and I can be passively but openly nonbinary and this is really great
kudos to whomever made this decision and implemented it!
:nb_pride:
void
wow
First name: vic
Pronouns: they/he

Re: on the recent addition of the Pronouns box

Post by void »

oh hey this is nifty

dreading inevitable assholes who think they're being "clever" "swag/swagger/swagself"
at least until they get caught anyways, since someone (rena?) is likely to be the one who implemented it and moderating use
:reimuko:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

those people have already been taking care of when it was first introduced. so there should not be too many instances of it from here on out.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Guess I can't set it to wumbo?
That crazy voice dude
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

skell/skelly/skellself
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Ashan wrote:skell/skelly/skellself
I wanna use this, dammit
That crazy voice dude
Leet

Post by Leet »

Leet wrote:those people have already been taking care of when it was first introduced. so there should not be too many instances of it from here on out.
i guess i was wrong
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
void
wow

Post by void »

y'all "jokesters" do realize making a game out of it is like, exactly the reason nonbinary folk are shoved under the rug, right
like, others who sincerely want to use alternative pronouns only to have people make a joke out of it
like-- exactly the reason i myself and others would be hesitant to try other pronoun sets that would work for them
it's pretty unfair, yo
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Y'all realize the reason the gay/lesbian movement has gotten as far as it has is because people's weren't so stuck up about it, and they just reclaimed all of the "bad" stuff associated with them.
If people just screamed "offensive" at everything, we'd still be in 2007 as far as that movement is concerned.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Ashan wrote:Y'all realize the reason the gay/lesbian movement has gotten as far as it has is because people's weren't so stuck up about it, and they just reclaimed all of the "bad" stuff associated with them.
If people just screamed "offensive" at everything, we'd still be in 2007 as far as that movement is concerned.
Your understanding of how gay people came to be better off now than they were in previous decades is seriously flawed, man.
Wolfolotl
cryptid

Post by Wolfolotl »

yo don't be a piece of shit about pronouns or you'll reek Bad Ally
like seriously it's disrespectful as hell and I immediately trust anyone who makes fun of pronouns a lot less
Leet

Post by Leet »

Ashan wrote:Y'all realize the reason the gay/lesbian movement has gotten as far as it has is because people's weren't so stuck up about it, and they just reclaimed all of the "bad" stuff associated with them.
have you considered shutting the fuck up about problems that you a) know nothing about, b) aren't affected by thus causing you to lack perspective, and c) are directly contributing to when you say things like this?
Leet

Post by Leet »

Well, Horikawa, you're right. But I don't think I personally could explain the problems without being angry about it, because I'm just too tired of seeing people act like this. I've tried being more subdued and polite on other websites and it usually accomplishes nothing which is why I'm now usually more blunt about if I think somebody's doing something blatantly wrong.

Well, maybe I can try.

Particularly, what Ashan is advocating can't even apply to this context, which is what makes me so mad. How are people supposed to "reclaim" the mocking of the concept of pronouns? Or, because Ashan was talking more broadly about LGBT issues in general, there are numerous more situations in which you can't apply this logic to. And it shifts responsibility from who needs to change onto the oppressed, saying "if you don't like us hurting you, you can't speak up about it." It's an unwinnable situation. So it makes me so angry to see such a blatantly unfair viewpoint being voiced.
Last edited by Leet 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

I don't trust myself with the pronouns box.

Therefore I will post my preferred pronouns here

Actually I still don't trust myself posting them here.
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Stop adding new things Rena. I never know if you're just joking or if you're serious. :?

Anyway I will use this field as a joke like I do with every other fields.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

I'd just like to add that I honestly don't think most people who used joke pronouns meant to mock anyone else. It's not really that obvious to most people (or at least not to me until it was discussed in the Twitter thread) who haven't dealt with this issue before that this type of joke would be seen as offensive to some people, especially given the nature of the talkhaus and how every profile field has had joke answers for it up until this point. Also I don't think the seriousness of the field was explained to people until a while after the pronoun field was made (apologies if it was and I somehow missed it).
fake edit: well this probably wasn't the best timing for this message...

real edit: and it seems I did miss that obvious text box next to the profile field... (though I don't know if it was always there or not)

hopefully-not-an-accidental-quote edit: yeah, I'm dumb, ignore this message
Last edited by Lunikyuu 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Post by Dizzybelle »

i think its a great idea, especially for non-binary or people who are frustrated with being mislabeled.

im not gonna use it, because its not a big deal for me, but all power to those that do.
good rena you did a good thing
ImageImageImage
void
wow

Post by void »

it's really hard to not be continually pissed about it because people still insist on trying to make fun out of it whe it's not really their place to
edit:
probably a little angrier sounding than it needs to because i'm having a shit morning but i'm just really exhausted by things like this and Still being pushed aside for trying to discuss my issues as nonbinary

yeah nevermind i'm fucking tired i give up
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Lunatic Quark wrote:I'd just like to add that I honestly don't think most people who used joke pronouns meant to mock anyone else. It's not really that obvious to most people (or at least not to me until it was discussed in the Twitter thread) who haven't dealt with this issue before that this type of joke would be seen as offensive to some people, especially given the nature of the talkhaus and how every profile field has had joke answers for it up until this point. Also I don't think the seriousness of the field was explained to people until a while after the pronoun field was made (apologies if it was and I somehow missed it).

fake edit: well this probably wasn't the best timing for this message...

real edit: and it seems I did miss that obvious text box next to the profile field... (though I don't know if it was always there or not)
yeah it was always there, and yeah ppl were being nasty about it

see: twitter thread
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Just would like to say that I apologise if I was one of the nastier people with the fooling around with the box. I was really just trying to drive my usual nonsense train and didn't know it was going to be so hard felt with many people.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

If the prefered pronoun field I use offends someone, please let me know and I will change it.
Wolfolotl
cryptid

Post by Wolfolotl »

sighing @ the people who treat the pronoun box like a joke
really sighing @ the most likely cis people who just say it's okay to joke about it and peps shouldn't be offended by it (plus Ashan has like. zero idea how reclaiming stuff works)
I just wanted this to be a fun nonbinary positivity party I never asked for disrespectful ne'er-do-wells
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

>using cis non ironically
>people actually getting offended by these little jokes
>this pronoun box isn't a joke
Welp. This is too much for me. I'm never gonna visit the gazebo again. Sorry for everyone I've offended here.

PS: Rena is it possible to have an option to hide the pronoun field of the other users? Seeing all these users with non-conventional pronouns trigger me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

man is it really that big a deal to not make a joke precisely once? like does that take excruciating effort?
I think this is great because I always wonder if I'm referring to someone correctly. I'm not personally offended by the joke pronouns but yall are being super stubborn about offending people
- randoguy101