(shouting)

Film Discussion Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Redsy

Re: Film Discussion Thread

Post by Redsy »

Spirted Away is my favourite film. It's a real masterpiece. Mm~
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm still really happy about Session 9. Despite telling jokes through it and Limepie trying to convince me it was about aliens it still managed to be weird without going over the top. What I think I liked best about it was that nothing was spelled out for you so you can make your own decisions on what happened. Theres also the odd shot of something thats not even the focus of the scene entirely.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

I found "He Loves Me: He Loves Me Not" to be unexpectedly good. It's basically a psychological thriller disguised as a cheesy romance flick; I can't say more without spoiling anything, watch it yourself if you feel like it.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Just saw The Great Gatsby.

It's kind of insanely amazing oh my gosh.

So many sads.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Am I the only one who thinks Iron Man 2 was slightly better than 3? Or at least not that bad...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I liked Iron Man 3. Don't remember much of the other 2 but whatever.

Also, I really enjoyed the credits montage because it looked cool and the music was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_z60- ... ata_player
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I haven't seen 2, but I heard it was kinda bad.
I did really like 3 though.

Not as much as The Great Gatsby though and I totally recommend that movie to everybody ever.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Redsy wrote: Not as much as The Great Gatsby though and I totally recommend that movie to everybody ever.
Despite what their own personal tastes may be?
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

Yes. It's really really great.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

Apropos of nothing, I'm now going to say that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isn't that bad. My view is that most of the people whining about it already decided to not like it before it came out and were looking for things to complain about. Listening to them, it's like the film was two hours of Jar Jar Binks and Shia Labeouf riding CGI groundhogs around UFOs.
Ok, rant over.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Mari0s0

Post by Mari0s0 »

People where just whining about the fact that there won't be a new Indiana Jones movie that can be better then the older movies.
To be fair: It was a good movie. It didn't feel like a Indiana Jones movie (or what people expected) but it was a good movie.
Hype always leads to a great amount of disappointment. Always. That happened to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, too.
Who knew that tea is actually inflammable!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't anywhere near as bad as everyone said. The problem with it was that it was just okay and not "OMG best moveie evar" like a lot of the old ones were to us. The story wasn't actually that bad, but a lot of the CGI scenes killed the action. A lot of what made the originals so great was that they had to get actual props and real tanks and motorcycle chases. And that was kind of lost here.

I'm not watching The Great Gatsby even if you drag me to the theater. I didn't like the book, didn't like Moulin Rouge, and I can tell you I probably won't like the movie either. Though if someone else likes it, that's cool.

I've actually been watching the 2007 version of Oliver Twist (BBC) and it's not too bad. The first movie I ever saw Timothy Spall in was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so I didn't have much of an opinion of him. But let me tell you: I'm kind of glad that was the first movie of his I watched, because when you recognize him in The King's Speech you have to do a triple-take because you just can't believe it's the same guy! He does a wonderful job as Fagin in Oliver as well. It's a good movie to see if you don't like reading Dickens but enjoy the stories and characters.
Redsy

Post by Redsy »

I didn't like the novel The Great Gatsby either.
I thought it was boring and slow and just awful.
I only went to see the movie because I went with my English class, also cause Leo DiCaprio.
But the movie was so freaking amazing and all, that I all of a sudden found an appreciation for the novel. I still don't like it, but seriously the movie is so great just go see it ><
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Redsy wrote:I didn't like the novel The Great Gatsby either.
I thought it was boring and slow and just awful.
I share this opinion. Yet to see the movie though. Having an awful teacher who expected me to find feminist themes (and the not the lack thereof) in Gatsby didn't help.
Bartle wrote:you should check out The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It's based on a novel by the author who wrote the book Paprika
Named my two favourite anime movies right there. Both amazing works. Satoshi Kon is one of the greatest directors, his death was a deep loss to the art. Madhouse is still a studio to always look out for.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?

Post by Mikkofier »

Paprika has been mentioned.
Great movie, shame the director had to die. I bet he would've had many more awesome stories to tell.
-Kurt Vonnegut
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Just watched Pi (1998) my second time. Still like it. It's pretty interesting. For those of you who don't know, it's about a math guy who goes crazy looking for answers to life.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

A little while back I watched Hugo, which I was honestly shocked to see that I actually quite enjoyed it. I've also recently watched a lot of short films on the internet - there is a marriage-equality one called "All you need is love" that is really touching and overall pretty well done.
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mikkofier wrote:Paprika has been mentioned.
Great movie, shame the director had to die. I bet he would've had many more awesome stories to tell.
His final work, Dream Machine, remains unfinished and underfunded. Regarding Kon, "The Pixar animated short, La Luna was declared in memory of him. The films Noah and How to Train Your Dragon 2 will also be declared in memory of him."
limepie20 wrote:Just watched Pi (1998) my second time. Still like it. It's pretty interesting. For those of you who don't know, it's about a math guy who goes crazy looking for answers to life.
Brilliant film, freaked me the fuck out the first time I saw it (I was only 13 or so.) I feel a lot of its meaning was lost on me then, although I'm still not sure if I fully grasp it now or if I should just accept it at face value.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Recent movies watched

Star Trek : Into Dorkness - It's a lot of fun and people who pick it apart but like other Star Trek stuff are probably just in the camp of "it's new and different waaaah" because Star Trek at its heart is a lot of nonsensical wonderful shlock and pretending otherwise is just asking for a warp core breech... OF THE BRAIN or something I don't know

Great Gatsby - I hated the book and enjoyed the movie. Of note : Tobey Maguire seems to have picked up one or two new facial expressions since Spider-Man 3 : The Only Thing You Remember is When He Went Emo and Danced Around New York. Which brings his total of facial expressions up to 4.3

Movies in general I recommend that you've probably seen already but if you haven't go see them

Big Trouble in Little China - This movie is basically perfect in every way because it has punching and evil ghosts and it will make you able to see things no one else can see and do things no one else can do.

Yojimbo - It's about a samurai who tricks a bunch of jerks into killing each other (he also kills some of them)

Moon - Sam Rockwell mines stuff on the moon. Kevin Spacey is a computer that is his friend. OR IS HE (he is definitely Kevin Spacey but the quandary of the whole thing is whether or not the computer is his friend)

The Perfect Host - Niles from Frasier is a perfectly sane and kind gentleman who is more than happy to help you out even though he's about to have a party with all of his friends on their way over. (or is he)

Ip Man - If you like incredible martial arts epics mixed in with melancholy period dramas boy do I have a movie for you (it's really great and so is Ip Man 2)
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

Dollop of Mayo wrote: Yojimbo - It's about a samurai who tricks a bunch of jerks into killing each other (he also kills some of them)
I love that movie so much. The camera-work is just fantastic. That alone would have made me love it, but it's such an entertaining story!

I saw The Hidden Fortress a while ago, and though I like Yojimbo more, this one is pretty good too. Mainly because of the two peasant guys, whom I'm pretty sure you're supposed to like but I never really did. It's kind of like they were just strung along for the ride the whole movie, but the plot never tried to put more focus on them than necessary. I think it's like a Greek Chorus scenario.