(shouting)

Phobias

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Phobias

Post by Octagon »

Here's a new topic, mainly to avoid derailing the clipboard game.

blah, i'm not good at writing introductory posts. discuss your phobias/peeves here or something, I guess
Ashanmaril wrote:
That thing would probably be a lot cuter if it wasn't covered in sand. It kinda freaks me out for the same reason stuff like this freaks me out.
Whoa, that's interesting. I'm really freaked out by patterned surfaces as well sometimes - googling trypophobia made some pictures show up that made me feel really nauseous (I have to postpone lunch for a while now) - but it's really situational. The squeaking frog didn't cause anything like that, but warts, any kind of patterned holes in skin, that skin-hatching frog, some tree conditions and certain fruit can seriously gross me out. (though somehow, the example picture you linked and lotus seed pods (unless photoshopped - one picture haunts me and almost makes me vomit) are okay)
Last edited by Octagon 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Phobias

Post by KobaBeach »

i feel uneasy if i try to sleep without the covers over my head at night because i have this odd fear of turned off tvs in the dark, no thanks to reading poorly-done tails doll creepypasta when i was 10 (also those quacker and bowen guys started a terrible furry webcomic, it's on bad webcomics wiki ahahaha)

i really should play persona 4 one of these days shouldn't i?

also i'm kinda scared of applications and games opening on fullscreen on my computer
reason? i was like 7, and i was playing pulirula on mame, in fullscreen
come stage 3 and aaaaaaa

goddamnit taito you scared me with something silly
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
kilon

Post by kilon »

Snakes. I don't know what triggered it in me, as I used to watch Animal Planet a lot and see those snakes eat live chickens and everything. But now I can't even look at a regular picture of a snake without feeling creeped out, let alone videos or worst: encountering them in real life. Luckily there aren't many snakes here.

All snakes should die a very horrible and gruesome death. All of them. The world would be a far better place without them. But you guys have to do it for me because I'm not going to be anywhere near those things.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I'm sorry, but I think snakes are cute. Rats, too.
I can't really think of any phobias. I might have one and forgot, or maybe I haven't encountered it, or maybe I don't have one. I'm a man of rational fears!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

KobaBeach wrote:also i'm kinda scared of applications and games opening on fullscreen on my computer
Oh, wow, I thought I was the only one. It was more of a predominant fear when I was younger, but I'm still really uncomfortable whenever something takes me out of desktop mode. I don't really know why.
limepie20 wrote:I'm sorry, but I think snakes are cute. Rats, too.
I can't say it for snakes, but rats actually are cute assuming they're tame and not carrying some disease that makes your fingers fall off.

Anyway, another contribution - Those interactive DVD menus used to freak me out so bad. Particularly the original Shrek DVD menu. I found it so creepy how all the fairytale creatures were just standing outside of his house staring at you for no reason as the cheery music played and they were just waiting for you to do something, and depending on which option you'd choose, a different character/set of characters would run into the house and do something.
One of my least favorite parts of the Shrek DVD menu was the magic mirror game. It wasn't really a game; you just asked a yes or no question and clicked the button and it would spit out an answer, so it was basically just a glorified magic 8 ball. But it was extremely terrifying because the face on the magic mirror in Shrek was terrifying to being with, but now he was just a in a dark room, and there was either no music playing or some really ominous music playing (can't remember) and he just stares at you until you do something.

Seriously, the Shrek DVD menu still freaks me out thinking back to it. I wish I was joking.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Ashanmaril wrote:Oh, wow, I thought I was the only one. It was more of a predominant fear when I was younger, but I'm still really uncomfortable whenever something takes me out of desktop mode. I don't really know why.
must have been a game that spooked ya or sumthin'

CURSE YOU PULIRULA
stupid beat em up
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I never did much gaming on my PC because I never had one that could really do it well until last summer.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

The trypophobia thing reminded me of those guro shock pictures where characters have these little wart-holes all over their bodies. I think disgust of that is pretty universal, as far as humans are concerned.

A less usual phobia I have is the fear of spiders. Normal spiders with webs and shit are usually fine, but I get the absolute worst feelings looking at daddy longlegs or anything similar.
Edit: or harvestmen, those are even worse...
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I have a phobia of heights I guess, except it's not really heights. It's more of the case of not being able to see the ground or something. Like, I have been on rooftops, I have been on airplanes, I've been on the Eiffel Tower and those are all fine. If I am on a ladder and I am looking up or something I will start shaking because I don't even know why.

I'm not a baby, though, I'll still climb ladders and stuff. I know in tv shows and cartoons and shit they always say don't look down, but looking down and seeing the ground (even if it's actually pretty far away) is actually pretty helpful. I worked with a guy once who was so afraid of heights that he wouldn't even climb a ladder, but he was a pretty big man-baby in general, though.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Bartle wrote:
Aposke wrote:The trypophobia thing reminded me of those guro shock pictures where characters have these little wart-holes all over their bodies.
Are you talking about that thing where people photoshop lotus pod holes onto people's skin?
No, it's... Worse than that.
If you want to see what I'm talking about, google Machino Henmaru, but really, don't, because it's some of the worst things out there and also pretty NSFW.
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

Aposke wrote:
Bartle wrote:
Aposke wrote:The trypophobia thing reminded me of those guro shock pictures where characters have these little wart-holes all over their bodies.
Are you talking about that thing where people photoshop lotus pod holes onto people's skin?
No, it's... Worse than that.
If you want to see what I'm talking about, google Machino Henmaru, but really, don't, because it's some of the worst things out there and also pretty NSFW.
I saw the lotus thing eight hours ago and I'm still sick. Today I learned the true meaning of wanting to unsee something. Aposke's thing would probably haunt me to the point of driving me to suicide...
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Octagon wrote:I saw the lotus thing eight hours ago and I'm still sick. Today I learned the true meaning of wanting to unsee something. Aposke's thing would probably haunt me to the point of driving me to suicide...
i saw that back in 2010 i think but you don't see me traumatized by it

to my defense i've been desensitized by the internet for a while now
Image Image
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

I ate part of an (alleged) habanero pepper, and my nausea disappeared along with the pain. And the lingering thoughts did, as well - seems like something as acute as "AAARGH MY MOUTH" can override haunting images.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Bartle wrote:
Aposke wrote:If you want to see what I'm talking about, google Machino Henmaru, but really, don't, because it's some of the worst things out there and also pretty NSFW.
You're traumatised by a manga? That's pretty weak even if it does feature pooping and being covered in seepy holes
lrn2quote

To make this post worthwhile, I'd also like to note that I tend to get dizzy when I'm very far up and looking upwards - it's not exactly a phobia, but I suddenly lose my sense of balance. No problems with looking down a few hundred meters, only upwards, when I'm in a high place.
So weird.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bartle wrote:
That's the trypophobia thing.
More here.
Aposke wrote:google Machino Henmaru, but really, don't, because it's some of the worst things out there and also pretty NSFW.
Oh, man! That's where this picture is from:
DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF SOME GUY POPPING HIS ZITS ALL OVER A GIRLS FACE
I saw that a while back and didn't know what it was from.
Argumentable wrote:I know in tv shows and cartoons and shit they always say don't look down, but looking down and seeing the ground (even if it's actually pretty far away) is actually pretty helpful.
Yeah, I'm like that too. For me I feel more comfortable if I know where the ground is. Like, sometimes I have trouble jumping off diving boards if they're decently high simply because if you look down you can't tell how high it is because the water refracts the bottom of the pool and it looks like it could be any height.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh, yeah, clearly that's jumanji or whatever. I should've known.

I'm a kawaii weaboo like everyone else, desu desu desu~!!!! (=`ω´=)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Fun Fact: There was a blog on tumblr about bad art, called "Socially Unacceptable Art" (it's gone now due to inappropriate content and all that, but some people made an SUA2).
It had what you would normally expect: furry shit, brony shit, Sonicfag shit, weeaboo shit, it goes on.

Some of the pics they put were pages of Junji Ito comics.

Seriously.

Junji Ito is in the same tier as pics of anime futanari centaur fox-pony Sonic OCs inflating like balloons according to tumblr.

also the grease looks like spaghetti, yum
Image Image
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
PlatinumTriforce
Professional Profanity Practitioner
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by PlatinumTriforce »

Don't know if any of you have played Myst before (if not read the plot here), but there was a part in there that scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid playing with my father on our old crappy Windows 98 computer. Near the end of the game, when you give either of the brothers in their red/blue books their last page,
they trap you in the book forever and wreak havoc on the island.
When I saw what happened I flipped out and my dad had to calm me down. I'm afraid to touch that game but I might try to get it on 3DS or something.

Ever since that I've had a fear of being rendered incapable of doing anything and whenever I'm watching a movie or playing a game in which a character is unable to do anything about something terrible, it bugs the crap out of me.

Also, I'm scared of knives.
peteyboo wrote:Platinum vs. raocow vs. myself triple battle at the same time

48 hours straight of Hyper VII. Whoever beats it first wins!
I love it.

Paralars

Post by Paralars »

in case this thread is still about phobias,
well I wouldn't say I'm genuinely afraid of anything special, I just strongly dislike most insects, except for bees and ants because they're social, I don't know, ticks and mosquitos and flies just seem so annoying and useless.
And then I'm really uncomfortable around canulas somehow, ordinary needles no problem, but hollow ones...
Shinmera

Post by Shinmera »

PlatinumTriforce wrote:Don't know if any of you have played Myst before (if not read the plot here), but there was a part in there that scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid playing with my father on our old crappy Windows 98 computer. Near the end of the game, when you give either of the brothers in their red/blue books their last page,
they trap you in the book forever and wreak havoc on the island.
When I saw what happened I flipped out and my dad had to calm me down. I'm afraid to touch that game but I might try to get it on 3DS or something.

Ever since that I've had a fear of being rendered incapable of doing anything and whenever I'm watching a movie or playing a game in which a character is unable to do anything about something terrible, it bugs the crap out of me.

Also, I'm scared of knives.
Oh man, the Myst games. Such great times were had.
The intro to it alone always scared the piss out of me when I was little.
It still sends chills down my spine to this day. A truly marvellous line of games.
Too bad it had to end on a disappointing title.
PlatinumTriforce
Professional Profanity Practitioner
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by PlatinumTriforce »

Shinmera wrote:Too bad it had to end on a disappointing title.
I forget the last title. I remember Riven came next, then it was something else. I never played the sequels. Maybe I should change that.
peteyboo wrote:Platinum vs. raocow vs. myself triple battle at the same time

48 hours straight of Hyper VII. Whoever beats it first wins!
I love it.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Paralars wrote:I just strongly dislike most insects, except for bees and ants because they're social, I don't know, ticks and mosquitos and flies just seem so annoying and useless.
Bees scare the hell out of me; I hate the noise they make and I hate the idea of them shoving a stinger inside of me. I've never even been bitten by a bee, wasp, yellowjacket, etc. but they still scare me for some reason.

I don't mind mosquitos, though. I mean, I don't like them, but they don't freak me out nearly as much as other flying insects.

edit: quotes are hard
Last edited by Ashan 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I really don't like bugs either. Well, large ones. Like big 'ol stinkbugs or something. Or wasps. I seriously don't mind bees though, I don't really know why. I also don't mind small ones. EDIT: I mean it's not really a fear, I'm not scared of them or anything, they just make me a little uncomfortable to be around.

I also get a bit nervous whenever my computer doesn't start properly, aka every other day or so, but that's not really a phobia so nevermind
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

yeah, wasps are pretty terrible.
I only got stung by those 5 times so far, in the cheeck, in the neck, twice in a little toe and once in the eye. I'm lucky like that.
I find bees fascinating though, they're really intelligent for what they are.