(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Well, Bravely Default II was pretty good other than not knowing what moves would cause an opponent to counter you. Kind of a "Oh, you didn't know what the skill check was on this skill check boss?" deal. Guess that's a staple of the series then since I haven't played the 3DS ones yet.

Anyway, been playing Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed a bit again. I'm doing my data a bit on the PS3 while I've been around for a co-op one on the XBS with my bro. The FPS was upped to 60 on the XBS from the 30 back in the old days, but it makes you literally go too fast in a couple of spots and has you crash on geometry you never would've reached otherwise. You're supposed to test these things, yo.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

In terms of Outer Wilds, I finally figured out how to start the DLC portion of the game, i.e.

how to enter The Stranger

. I think my screwup was

going at the "hole" too fast

. Well, thankfully, I don't have to go through that again, though it'll be interesting to see how

raocow figures it out. I'm surprised he has yet to even visit the Radio Tower.

Initial thoughts on the DLC:
The Stranger is a very interesting setting. I would call it the most "normal" of settings in the game overall, at least in terms of structure and biome. Outside the fact that the Stranger is a heavily scaled-down O'Neill cylinder (O'Neill disc?), the biome itself is a rather normal gorge-based environment, kind of like a national park. It's got a lot of good hooks in it, too, such as the new language, the various artifacts, the fact that it's originally based in another star system. So it's got a lot going for it.

I admire the dev's continued commitment of wasting time having a consequence in the loop. In The Stranger's case, about 2/3rds of the way through the loop, the dam near the point of entry bursts, sending a massive flood through and leveling many of the buildings in the biome. It gives a valuable sense of urgency as you move through the biome.

It's neat how the DLC uses light as a gameplay mechanic. It's a creative workaround of adding interaction without having to overhaul controls in the game. I'm not sure about the rafting controls, but other than that, it's good stuff.

My current nitpick is the appearance of ghost matter in the biome. Seems really weird that whoever made this ship station would intentionally add that, plus it's just an annoyance in general.

I've yet to hit the "frightening" portions of the DLC that give it the horror appellation (and necessitate that "Frightening Things Removal" bit from the game), but we'll see.
I've also completed Episode II of Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. I still love playing it. The lines between level and open-world blur a lot in Story Mode. I find that cool, though sometimes confusing. I did like the game's open-world segments have a certain continuity going toward them, which can creative inadvertently hilarious moments. For example, in Mos Espa on Tatooine, near the starting area, I had tripped an alarm in a building in Episode I's Story Mode, but I couldn't turn it off because at the time I didn't have a particular class of character (in this case, a Protocol Droid (think C3-PO)) to do so. I came back to it in Episode II's Story Mode, and it was still going off. Consider the narrative for a moment, and laugh at the thought that, at least in theory, that alarm had been blaring for ten straight years. :D

Still, as I get more into it, I start to see some flaws. One obvious one is open-world navigation. If you're just trying to go from objective to objective, it's pretty good. But when you're exploring, it's very easy to get lost, not helped by the map being fixed to North rather than relative to your facing position. In addition, I unlocked the ability early on to locate all the collectibles. While good, it feels like a bit of a mistake now, since all the halos marking them are very distracting on the open world map, and I don't know if there's some way to just turn them off.

The class system has some issues, too. The most pressing one is that it makes it very clear to the player that you must play Episode VII Story Mode (I presume) if you want to use the Scavenger class in its fullest form. This is frustrating, because I bought the character DLCs, which comes with a couple Scavengers that are available at the start. However, when I try to use them for the Scavenger-specific parts of the open-world segments, there's no prompt or command input to indicate what you're actually supposed to do with them. And because I haven't officially unlocked a Scavenger class in-game (i.e., through playing one in Story Mode), there are no hints for them. A more serious problem though is class differentiation (or the lack thereof). Most damning on this matter is Jedi/Sith Dark Side characters. (Aside: Why the fuck do they call Sith "Dark Side?" Was it because of some bullshit in the sequel trilogy where, I dunno, the First Order weren't actually Sith for some reason, by mandate of Disney?) In Complete Saga, Jedi and Sith were distinct classes of characters not only in terms of combat but more importantly in map interaction. While Sith could Force-lift various items, they could also use the Force to destroy stuff to open new areas or get collectibles. They even had distinct red auras to indicate that. In Skywalker Saga, though, I have yet to encounter a situation in the open world where I needed a Dark Side instead of Jedi, and the Hints section for the Dark Side class is currently a copy-paste of the Jedi class. Granted, it may just be that Dark Side-specific tasks are hidden in worlds not available until you officially unlock your free Dark Side character (i.e., Darth Vader in Episode VI), but then, as mentioned above, there are spots for Scavengers on Naboo and Geonosis, sooooo...I dunno. There's quite a bit more differentiation between Hero and Villain classes, as well as Bounty Hunters. (Scoundrels, on the other hand, I've yet to see something specific.)

I also ran into the first bit in a video game on my 2.5-year-old PC where the framerate really chugged hard (discounting games that had DLSS), during the Geonosis level with Anakin and Padme. None of the settings I could change really did much to improve performance, which was weird. It was an overwhelming level, so that may have been a factor? But still, for the framerate to halve like that was something else. And it's not like my specs are that bad: Ryzen 3900X, 2080 Ti, neither overclocked.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago Well, Bravely Default II was pretty good other than not knowing what moves would cause an opponent to counter you. Kind of a "Oh, you didn't know what the skill check was on this skill check boss?" deal. Guess that's a staple of the series then since I haven't played the 3DS ones yet.
I've only played Def1 so far, and last I booted it up was like... Pre-COVID? Need to finish it. My copy of Second has been waiting for me for years and I'm planning on getting the PC port of Def2, piracy or purchase, maybe piracy since Squ-Eni has been especially toxic recently and I just don't have the muns. Also Octopath, and Triangle when that hopefully comes around.

Thinking of playing Tales of Destiny 2 (actual tod2 not eternia) on PS2.

EDIT: Not Tales of Destiny 2 out performing ToD1 in terms of the first two dungeons!!!!!!!!!!! Did Laguna Ruins and the Darilsheid Catacombs and I'm really liking the writing in this one more than I did ToD1. It's very contrived, but it has a very theatrical aspect. Like one of those feel good type plays. The battle system is also much better than Star Ocean 3's attempt at a Stamina gauge, with ToD2's being more of a, "if it's in the red, you're more easily staggered" type deal.

Kyle is adorable, I heard Roni gets especially annoying/misogynistic later on but I'm digging him so far, and

Leon

Judas fits the big brother, sane man type character, easily my favorite so far. Can't wait to know more about Reala too, and to later get to Nanaly and Harold! Parked right outside Harmentz Valley.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Default: ugh what even is the trigger for the ninja asterisk quest. at least I'll have The Grandship before much longer. Too bad this marks the beginning of the worst part of the game.

At least once I get to World 4 I don' t have to worry about the asterisk sidequests.

EarthBound: I'm apparently well over the expected level for this part of the game and it's still not enough to be safe from these stupid mushrooms. can I come back to Milky Well later or do I have to do Milky Well before going on to Fourside?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Crystal Project: From what I've played so far, it's a nice little RPG, the job and cross class skill selection reminds me a lot of FF5's style of job system. It's been fun so far, but I got my butt kicked by some ghost/ghoul being in the deeper corridors of a cave mine. I'll head back there later to beat the creature and then head past the next town to supposedly where a job crystal is, guess I'll find out!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Two games, two stories:
Outer Wilds: Some progress was made, especially now that I have a different keyboard. (Got myself a Ducky One 3 with Cherry MX Clear switches. Might switch them up for Zealios, but we'll see. For now, feels good). But most of the recent play has been mucking around with cheevos that I didn't get the first time around, including:
  • Ramming my ship so fast into Giant's Deep it cuts through the top current
  • Yeeting the model ship into the sun
  • Bonking the satellite flying above Timber Hearth
  • Bringing a Warp Core from the High Energy Lab to the Observatory (You can also bring

THE Warp Core, i.e. the one in Ash Twin that triggers the endgame

, but it's not necessary)
  • Ramming into the satellite that starts the DLC, breaking the map in the process
I'll try go for the cheevos of

flying as far from the sun as possible and max damage in one whole run

this weekend.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: Cleared Episode III in Story mode, Galaxy Free Play has under 17% at this point. Episode III was a letdown, primarily for one reason: In Complete Saga, your first mission is the Battle Over Coruscant, a pretty rad rail shooter segment where you bob and weave and pew-pew your way to Dooku's flagship. It was a really fun mission that made the rest of the Episode good (and kind of redeemed Episode III to a degree?). This got excised in Skywalker Saga, going straight to the assault on the flagship. Granted, they kind of make up for it by replacing the sluggish Jedi Temple level with Palpatine's duel with Yoda, but still, it was unfortunate. (Also, they excised Padme's death, with us only being shown the birth of the Skywalker twins...weird)

The loss of the Battle Over Coruscant kind of strikes me as emblematic of a bigger problem I noticed: Actual vehicle missions kind of fell off after Episode I. That Episode had the all-important podrace, as well as the Battle Over Naboo, but also an interesting underwater rail shooter segment. Episode II had the skycar chase at the start...and then a very boring cat-and-mouse fight with Slave I. Episode III only really had the Battle Over Coruscant in terms of vehicular battles, so it had no missions of that kind. This makes me worried for the original trilogy: They'll certainly have the Battles of Yavin and Hoth, as well as the speeder fight on Endor. But beyond that? I don't think they'll have much. Maaaaaybe the Escape from Hoth. But I worry they won't have the second Death Star Core Run (though, given the Executor is one of the Capital Ships you can capture, who knows...)

I think I'll begin clearing the planets in Free Play, though it'll be incomplete (because again, I haven't "unlocked" Scavenger). I'll go through as much as I can before going to the original trilogy.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

fucked up, pissed off, barbatos "no items final destination" goetia keeps throwing a sledgehammer at my ass, im grinding for five levels because hard games are overrated (tales of destiny 2)

like legit i tried using two spellcasting strategies i found in the japanese web (>implying gamefaqs has anything) and i still couldn't do it because im literally incapable of this. fucked up how i can play king's field but not this

EDIT: i beat him. this entire game is just harder in general, at least the story is good
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

EarthBound: I wound up using Spawn Reset (where you walk until the cluster of enemies is offscreen) to get through to Milky Well without running into Mushrooms. I very much am overlevelled - Trillionage Sprout died in like three rounds. So now I'm at Fourside trying to remember if I need to raid the No. 3 Mole Mines first or if I need to get Paula kidnapped first (I do at least remember that the Monotoli Building is the last thing I do in Fourside).

Bravely Default: Ah, the trigger for Ninja was "learn that Grandship is sinking." Hooray, now I can safely get the rest of the Chapter 3 asterisks wait when did I reach level 45?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

fucked up how i made it to neuestadt in tales of destiny 2. forneus and the forneus tails were fun now that i realized how to make everyone just spam magic while kyle stonewalls the enemy. almost done with

the first visit to the present

apparently,

this game has time travel :)

Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I decided to give Kirby's Pinball Land one more shot, and today was the day that I finally got through it. Man, that game is rough if you fall down to the lower board, but I managed to finally avoid doing that a ton and got through the final boss on my last life after screwing it up once.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im trying to install a windows xp virtual machine so i can fucking play some frane 1-3 and vampire hurts, old jp versions from 2000, not the frane 1 and 3 kemco has on steam. the original 2000 releases are 16bit executables and im running 64bit win10.

the lord god may try to forbid me from playing pc jrpgs but he can't fight me away for long

EDIT: started Frane ~Lost memory of angel~ and for what is technically a Kemco RPG it's alright (then again this one is from 2000). Past the Rissel Forest and Dillham's Hideout, grinding outside of the Demons' Dwelling, as you are wont to do in a Ys clone. Story is pretty mid, and the voice acting is pretty shit, but the characters are alright.

Aden has that "femme-masc" vibe despite being a villain that I vibe with, having like multiple plushies myself as well like him. Dillham is pretty passable so far. Drane is kind of adorable so far, Frane is a generic waifu but she's infectiously precious though. Rupee is a gremlin, bless her. Balboa is a weirdo (he tried to hook up with Frane while she was asleep), but he's a cute dad (literal, he's the protag's, Sedi's, dad).

EDIT 2: Summon Night 3. Jilcorda Queen battle..... :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao: :rao: Need to try again,

get along try again
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

While most of my game time lately has been dedicated to DFO, I've also been playing Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones on and off. It's pretty fun, like a slightly more challenging version of Blazing Blade, which I appreciate. Had a bit of a tight spot in the first fog mission, in which I had removed my priest's staff and forgotten to give it back to him before starting the battle... Thankfully, the game gives you so many vulneraries and elixirs that things still went well. I like how there are actual monsters in this one, and the map screen is neat (though I hope that the addition of grind maps doesn't mean I have to actually use them). The characters are fine in this one, can't say I've seen any that I'd add to my cuddle club so far, but I do like how useful a lot of them are. Franz is currently steamrolling everything, Vanessa's been surprisingly good for a low level pegasus knight, the mages... Kinda suck, but they'll probably get better later? Garcia's also monstrously strong, but his son not so much. I do like the trio that's basically Farnese, Serpico and Azan from Berserk. Hope to recruit them soon.

Got to the split where you can choose whether to follow Eirika or Ephraim, and I feel like that's an odd choice considering you've been following Eirika for all but one mission so far. Feels like it's her game, so I went with her (even though Ephraim is way stronger :/). Made a save state there in case I want to check out his missions later, so we will see.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, Franz is basically Seth Jr. in that game with his ability to just destroy about anything that hasn't got a Horseslayer. Also chose Eirika's route since I don't really care much for Ephraim overall.

Anyway, I finally started recording Mega Man III DOS now. Thank you to the peeps that hooked me up with a way to play this one with save states to make for easier stage-by-stage video recordings.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Default: Inching my way up to the Earth Crystal. Now that my Norende is fully rebuilt I... kinda lost interest? Since I know where the game is going and running Utsusemi+Rampart in every battle is kinda boring (but necessary if I want to pull through without casualties). It's too bad I can't get the Easy Grinding ability yet.

Earthbound: So I got past one Guardian Mole and then proceeded to go around the same loop three times. Whoops. This is why I use maps when I can.

NES Punch Out: Now that I've looked at the instruction booklet, I can actually do more than just alternating facepunches. Still having trouble with Piston Honda but that's mostly because my reaction time sucks when I'm usually ready to play Punch Out (I keep dodging into his facepunches). I should look up the instruction booklet for Super Punch Out, maybe I'll have an easier time there with the higher resolution tells.

Pokemon Red Litelocke: So both Seafoam and Pokemon Mansion are dead regions now, mostly because I'm impatient and didn't actually bother to check my tracking sheet while exploring them (though Seafoam was going to be a wash anyway since I didn't outlevel all of the wild monsters, but dammit I did at least want a Grimer). Currently punching my way through to Blaine.

Pokemon Shining Pearl: Oh right I still need to get through to Veilstone City.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Bravely Default: Inching my way up to the Earth Crystal. Now that my Norende is fully rebuilt I... kinda lost interest? Since I know where the game is going and running Utsusemi+Rampart in every battle is kinda boring (but necessary if I want to pull through without casualties). It's too bad I can't get the Easy Grinding ability yet.
Bravely Default is. Is a game. It's technically not bad but I remember it being kind of... Aged? I do like Zatz and his boyfriend.
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Earthbound: So I got past one Guardian Mole and then proceeded to go around the same loop three times. Whoops. This is why I use maps when I can.
Have you played Beginnings? Because sweet mother of god, the factories. Also Mt. Itoi, but I wrote in my Backloggery that it wasn't too bad, so I might have grinded to a decent level for it.

Beat DuoPrincess, a short 6 level beat 'em up doujin fangame of Threads of Fate by EasyGameStation, as Mint. It's pretty good but since I'm pretty bad at beat 'em ups, I kind of just tried to musou everything, and didn't really have much strategy outside of credit feeding in the late game. I appreciate the Hibachi from DDP reference in the Stage 3 boss. The final boss' arena (Mel? I haven't played ToF yet) kind of also feels like Remilia's battle in EoSD, but I'm not sure.

Also tried out a bit of Sonic R (PC). It plays a bit better, but I feel it's mostly because my Saturn emulator controls is Headass for this game. Hard turn left and right is Z and X, while jump is Space in the default controls, and it feels a lot better, admittedly. Maybe I was always bad at Sonic R :pensive:. Gonna go through the tracks and unlock everything soone.

EDIT: Nah, Sonic R just feels jank in general. Super-cleared Resort Island anyway. Memories of reading Tails Doll creepypasta still make me feel wary though, playing at night in a closed room all by myself... I'm a dumdum.
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
raekuul wrote: 1 year agoEarthbound: So I got past one Guardian Mole and then proceeded to go around the same loop three times. Whoops. This is why I use maps when I can.
Have you played Beginnings? Because sweet mother of god, the factories. Also Mt. Itoi, but I wrote in my Backloggery that it wasn't too bad, so I might have grinded to a decent level for it.
Beginnings is on NSO and I have poked it but I just... can't right now. Not with SNES EarthBound already in my head. Maybe once I'm done kicking Pokey's ass six ways to Sunday.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Sonic R PC and yeah. The controls are just a bit too jank. BlazeHedgehog suggested a controller setup for it to control better and to treat it like a car racer instead of platformer racer in his "Best Way To Play Sonic R in 2019" video, but. I treated it like a car racer and it still feels kind of lacking. Nonetheless, it's nostalgic, so I won't be too harsh on it now.

Also started Doom (1993) through Chocolate Doom (GZDoom changes too much wrt the originals, will probably use GZ mostly for WADs) and I'm at E1M4. It's pretty good.

Thinking of starting Tenerezza, but downloading the PC version's ISO from Internet Archive will take a while.

Sorry for being in a PC Gayming vibe rn

EDIT: im downgaying the rip that doesn't have hd textures...

Also I 1cc'd Normal on Touhou Koumakyou ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as ReimuA eat shit

EDIT 2: ReimuB Norm 1cc. this shottype is bad (not as much as SA's)
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Beginnings is on NSO and I have poked it but I just... can't right now. Not with SNES EarthBound already in my head. Maybe once I'm done kicking Pokey's ass six ways to Sunday.
Yeah I'm just saying because some of the dungeons in Beginnings really need maps to be playable in the modern day. I'm not sure if you'd like Beginnings, it requires high grind tolerance, to the point that Tomato's MOTHER 1 GBA translation included a double EXP item (the Easy Ring). There is still the same EarthBound charm under all of that, though.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Botched a Perfect Cherry Blossom ReimuA 1cc, game overed in Yuyuko's final spellcard, constant messy deaths. Maybe I'm just tired? Still mad.

EDIT: i also made it to marisa in Story of Eastern Wonderland, gonna try practicing in easy mode
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

PCB is my "home" Touhou. Give SakuyaB a try sometime, it's jank as hell but I love it.

SoEW has one of my favorite songs but I can't quite grok the shot types. Maybe if I actually get around to installing this english patch...

Punch Out: wait glass joe has tells for how he can be punched how did I miss this
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

They all have tells in Punch-Out!!, either when to attack or get the heck out of the way. It's up to you to figure them out!

More than halfway through Mega Man III DOS now. Again, DOSBox-X has been a lifesaver in terms of recording these. Would not have wanted to record the whole game in the same day, that's for sure.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i tried playing venineth after buying it when it was recommended during the ambush train last year and

uuhh. no, this is gonna be a miss for me. these controls are just. no. the level design and the controls run completely counter to one another and it feels terrible i couldn't take more than a few levels of this. excruciating. looks pretty though i guess
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I 1cc'd Story of Eastern Wonderland in Easy Mode as ReimuB. Mima was incredibly stupid because. I dont know if it was Neko Project but, there was just this pseudo 3d Planet Saturn in the background and it was just constantly lagging the entire fight, the whole thing ran at like 15 fps, which I appreciate but it didn't feel 100% earned, unlike the CAVE lag spikes. I want to believe ZUN didn't intend for the game to chug the PC-98 at that point.

It was absurd.

Marisa was also kind of poorly designed, there were points where the dodging felt non-intuitive because she just did her Orreries Sun expand dong attack like at points in the screen where you kind of had to get in the middle to dodge properly?

Anyway this game is shit.

Oh yeah also, I love how Meira's entire cutscene, is just Reimu going 😏 😏 😏 😏 and Meira going :homophobia:. It is with a heavy heart that I must announce, Reimu fucks. Hard.

EDIT: dodonpachi gave me a headache
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago They all have tells in Punch-Out!!, either when to attack or get the heck out of the way. It's up to you to figure them out!
Not just for when to attack but also how to attack. Somehow I missed the fact that you can punch people not-in-the-face which meant Glass Joe was taking at least twice as long as he needed to since I was only ever face-punching after his attack volleys.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i beat dodonpachi
used two continues

edit: help im playing dragon quest 2 on nes. i quit this before and i made it to rhone. i'm at hamlin
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Default: screw World 5's permanently-missable content, I'm moving on to World 4.

Pokemon Red Minilocke: Knocked out both the Volcano and Earth badges, and only ran into a handful of Onixen in Victory Road. So now it's time for the Elite Four with a team of level 50s (thank you, Missingno). I'm debating whether or not I want to fix my movesets externally or just run with it as-is (running with it as-is will be a chunk harder since Big Boo doesn't have a Special-based attack due to lack of foresight and I accidentally replaced Wingman's STAB Wing Attack with Take Down during my candy spree so... yeah). As it's been a long-ass time since I've even tried going itemless through an elite four I'm not expecting this to be quick (and I may need to Missingno up some elixirs since I have a bunch of low-PP moves going in)