(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by BurntTenda »

I started getting through KH3's DLC.
It's been neat.
I also very much like the weird data greeting feature.
It's fun to mess around with.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

I'm on the fence on playing Dangannronpa. I'm pretty content with wrapping up FFIX, but after that anything goes I guess. Looks like I'll be either replaying something again or perhaps try something new relatively soon.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I played through the FFVII Remake (is that really the name?) demo and it was pretty fun!

I gotta say, considering there's 15 mainline entries in this series, it's pretty impressive that they could have easily shit out a bunch of turn-based games and become the JRPG Call of Duty, but instead keep putting out games with new battle systems. It's possible something similar to this has been done before, (I'm definitely not enough of an RPG guy to know) but of the handful of FF games I've played (X, X-II, XIII, and VII remake) they all have completely different battle systems which is laudable!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I gotta say, considering there's 15 mainline entries in this series, it's pretty impressive that they could have easily shit out a bunch of turn-based games and become the JRPG Call of Duty, but instead keep putting out games with new battle systems. It's possible something similar to this has been done before, (I'm definitely not enough of an RPG guy to know) but of the handful of FF games I've played (X, X-II, XIII, and VII remake) they all have completely different battle systems which is laudable!
Dragon Quest is the same game in terms of gameplay everytime, but it always has a different story to tell and the localization job is always very well done, so not even that is the CoD of JRPGs.

I'd go as far as to say that the closest thing to a CoD or NSMB of JRPGs is Pokémon, but I don't wanna piss off the Nintendo folk.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I gotta say, considering there's 15 mainline entries in this series, it's pretty impressive that they could have easily shit out a bunch of turn-based games and become the JRPG Call of Duty, but instead keep putting out games with new battle systems. It's possible something similar to this has been done before, (I'm definitely not enough of an RPG guy to know) but of the handful of FF games I've played (X, X-II, XIII, and VII remake) they all have completely different battle systems which is laudable!
FF1-3 and 4-9 all have variants on the same basic battle system, albeit with each one having a completely different skill system. 10 was when they started experimenting more. That said, none of the earlier games exactly felt phoned in, either; each one was full featured, had a completely different cast and setting (albeit with some crossover), and back in their days, were all fairly major releases, as RPGs go. One of the great things about the series was that no two games in it were completely alike... at least until they churned out some of those budget spinoffs that come across as bad ROM hacks... lookin' at you, FF4 spinoffs. :blobglare:
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I was playing DBZ Kakarot for a bit. Very repetitive game, but it at least has team battles going on and some fast fighting and flying around. It's one of those deals where if you're a fan of the show, the game will probably click for you more. I would've loved this fluff stuff in 2000, but not so much in 2020 where the gameplay needs to be the hook. I'll probably get through it eventually. Stopped halfway through for now.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I started playing Touhou games. A Shooting Game, STG. At first, I died a lot in the field on Touhou 6 EoSD. X key spamming in the field and Cirno mid-boss. So I practice many times to memorize enemies' spell card pattern. Touhou games really take a lot of time to beat. A few moments later.... I was defeated in level 5. Hmm.. Touhou 6 is hard for normal people. Let's try Touhou 8 then~ As soon as I played the game, I think this is better than Touhou 6. But the most annoying star-shaped bullets kill me so many times. Marisa stole my precious lives.. I wonder what the TIME System is.

Which Touhou game is the greatest for a beginner??
and..
What do you think is the easiest Touhou game?

I'm totally bad at STG.... Please give me EXTEND!! Also, I want to "GET SPELL CARD BONUS!!"
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Which Touhou game is the greatest for a beginner??
and..

I'm totally bad at STG.... Please give me EXTEND!! Also, I want to "GET SPELL CARD BONUS!!"
Personally, while Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (TH15) is very hard and has one of the hardest bosses, I think that the Pointdevice Mode and Graze mechanics of that game are excellent for learning Touhou and getting deeper into it. I bounced off Perfect Cherry Blossom, Subterranean Animism and many others until I tried LoLK and the altered progression let me understand the game a lot better.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Which Touhou game is the greatest for a beginner??
and..
Honestly Imperishable Night and Ten Desires, purely for the Spell Practice option.

My advice, credit feed through the game on your early playthroughs, then grind out stage and spell practice once you unlock the levels by beating them. Don't stress yourself out with too much practice, else you'll burn out. You should be fine.

Aim for 1cc!

BobisOnlyBob wrote: Personally, while Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (TH15) is very hard and has one of the hardest bosses, I think that the Pointdevice Mode and Graze mechanics of that game are excellent for learning Touhou and getting deeper into it.
I dunno... I wouldn't really recommend starting off with a game that has Clownpeace. You have to keep in mind that the game is partially designed to be like a IWBTG shmup.

Pointdevice mode felt a lot like Toaplan checkpoints to me which is something I don't particularly like unless the shmup is well designed around it, like having Toaplan checkpoints shortly before a powerup point, so the player has to survive through a small but simple barrage of enemies before recharging themselves.
Image Image
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Personally, while Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom (TH15) is very hard and has one of the hardest bosses, I think that the Pointdevice Mode and Graze mechanics of that game are excellent for learning Touhou and getting deeper into it. I bounced off Perfect Cherry Blossom, Subterranean Animism and many others until I tried LoLK and the altered progression let me understand the game a lot better.
Wow! You raise me strong. Thank you for your advice. When I watched a LoLK video on YouTube, I was worried if I could handle this game. I think it's okay because the game gives me infinite opportunities. Today, I just finished Stage 4 in Normal without using the X Key.
And I finally "GET SPELL CARD BONUS!!"
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Speaking of FF7, I'm climbing Gaea's Cliff this weekend. It's weird, but somehow I'm playing worse now that I'm cheating than when I play normally (I gave myself one of each non-summon materia at the start of the game).
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years agoI'd go as far as to say that the closest thing to a CoD or NSMB of JRPGs is Pokémon, but I don't wanna piss off the Nintendo folk.
"wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center."
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago I dunno... I wouldn't really recommend starting off with a game that has Clownpeace. You have to keep in mind that the game is partially designed to be like a IWBTG shmup.

Pointdevice mode felt a lot like Toaplan checkpoints to me which is something I don't particularly like unless the shmup is well designed around it, like having Toaplan checkpoints shortly before a powerup point, so the player has to survive through a small but simple barrage of enemies before recharging themselves.
Playing Touhou 15 is likely to be a worthy challenge. It's a miracle that I cleared stage 4 without using the X-key. I don't know what kind of danmaku hell is left but...
I want to face with a girl in a dress with an American flag on it. Actually, I talked with Clownpeace on stage 5. She said, "It's Lunatic tiiime!!" And I panicked and hit a bullet!!
Let's finish Touhou 15!!!! I'm falling into TH15 more and more....
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Let's finish Touhou 15!!!! I'm falling into TH15 more and more....
you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago FF1-3 and 4-9 all have variants on the same basic battle system, albeit with each one having a completely different skill system. 10 was when they started experimenting more. That said, none of the earlier games exactly felt phoned in, either; each one was full featured, had a completely different cast and setting (albeit with some crossover), and back in their days, were all fairly major releases, as RPGs go. One of the great things about the series was that no two games in it were completely alike... at least until they churned out some of those budget spinoffs that come across as bad ROM hacks... lookin' at you, FF4 spinoffs. :blobglare:
It's kind of sad that the FFIV sequels kind of thudded the way they did. That was the end of a period where they were willing to put more effort into remaking these games and branching out. Subsequent remasters range somewhere between somewhat acceptable (FFIX, FFX, FFXII) and so phoned in they deserve no legitimacy (FFV, FFVI)

The VII remake being this whole new game series is...good I guess? I'm hopeful about some of the things they've done (like, oh hey, Mark Hamill is goddamn Don Corneo), and the combat looks interesting. But it does mean we will likely not see another Final Fantasy for some time (I'm willing to bet XVI will not even be announced until 2023 at the earliest), to say nothing of a remake that actually has effort put into it.

(Also, good lord does Barret sound like Superfly Johnson) :aliceko:

Gotten further along New Vegas. This game feels more difficult than I expected. I sort of get the sense Obsidian wanted to avoid making this game a rompy romp that FO3 could be, and it shows. Like, it takes a few hours between start and finding a place where you can drop your loot and rest occasionally, which is not the case in FO3 (it's literally in the scope of your first mission). Ammo feels less available, and while I get the sense you should follow the game's plot along a bit before you really dive into the open world setting, it can still feel a tad punishing. The fact you face high-level enemies like Nightkin early on is telling, and buying weapons seems out of the question unless you really gamble (which at this stage is Caravan only). Also, I'm very wary about taking on missions with specific factions this early on even though I want to because I don't want to lock myself out of factional missions for fun. I finished up the Novac main quest point, on to Boulder City at this point?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Speeding through DBZ Kakarot. Doing the side missions is what makes it longer, but at the same time, they're all worth it for the experience points since they're nearly ten to twenty times what you earn through non-story fights. I kind of want to get the platinum for it this weekend before moving on to editing vids again.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Alright I was willing to overlook some of the similarities in bosses between Nioh and the FromSoft games. I hadn't even brought up the obvious Quelaag clone, but this DLC boss in Nioh is a young-looking, caped woman with silver hair and fights with a sword.
I immediately thought of Lady Mariah from the Bloodborne DLC. And if that wasn't enough, THEY NAMED HER MARIA

They're not even trying to hide it at this point!
Okay just to pop back in with this...

I completely forgot but they literally refer to her as Lady Maria in a cutscene
Nast

Post by Nast »

I beat Metal Gear Solid the other day, on Normal. Thoughts below:
This was my first time playing any Metal Gear. I considered playing the remake, but opted for the original as it's probably closest to Kojima's original intent. Even though I didn't grow up with this generation of games, I can appreciate how ambitious this must have been for the time. That said, the gameplay, which I expected to scare me away, is actually pretty streamlined, very "videogame-y" if that makes sense.

The level structure is fairly linear but you're encouraged, sometimes forced, to revisit previous areas with access to new paths and/or different obstacles strewn about. I kinda liked it as it allowed you to get more familiar with the various locations, even if not all of it was enthralling (

like the giant staircases, or Card Key Quest

).

The various weapons and tools you gradually accumulate all see some use, which is nice. I guess it's a luxury afforded by having a linear structure, as they can more easily control where you get new tools and present you with challenges designed for them. I found myself using pretty much everything I had at one point or another, except maybe for Claymores and grenades.

In terms of gameplay-related gripes, the controls are not exactly perfect. Snake's movement can feel imprecise, as you might sometimes cling to walls without wanting, or struggle to exit a crouch in the middle of a chase. The combat mechanics are rudimentary, which works to sway you towards a more stealthy approach, but becomes a problem during bosses, making them some of the least fun parts of the game in my opinion. To their credit though, all the bosses have interesting and cool premises, and there were a couple I actually liked, such as

Metal Gear Rex

To comment on the story real quick, it felt overly complicated in a lot of ways, which from what I understand is to be expected from Kojima, but it's enjoyable and relatively easy to follow where it matters, with a simple premise, likeable characters, cool twists and a nice balance between serious and lighthearted tone. My main gripe is with Meryl's character -

she's introduced as an inexperienced but courageous soldier, but contributes almost nothing meaningful to the conflict, making sparse appearances in the first half and becoming a damsel-in-distress/shoehorned love interest in the second half.

The wolfies are cute. There that should work for an ending
I wanted it to be a short paragraph or two but I got carried away. :aliceko:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Been playing some games in Japanese to help improve my skills.

So far I'm at Bloodpool in ActRaiser, got to the Otafuku Headquarters in Goemon 1 SNES and I'm at The Desert in Disney's Aladdin for the MegaDrive.

I'm European so I can say MegaDrive :garish:
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Been playing some games in Japanese to help improve my skills.
I want to do this too but I'm nowhere near the right level of Japanese yet :c Especially with kanji
I'm European so I can say MegaDrive
ew 50hz
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Speaking of Nioh DLC characters seeming to be lifted straight from other things

There's this character that I saw and immediately thought "that looks like a character that should be in Naruto." Mainly because he's a ninja with basically a hidden leaf headband and one of those mouth-covering masks. And then I find out his name is Sarutobi Sasuke. Hmmm

Also I just finished off the Scion of Virtue mission and boy that was kind of a long one. Took me almost 90 minutes to complete from start to finish!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago There's this character that I saw and immediately thought "that looks like a character that should be in Naruto." Mainly because he's a ninja with basically a hidden leaf headband and one of those mouth-covering masks. And then I find out his name is Sarutobi Sasuke. Hmmm
all that is ninja stereotypes. even before naruto
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

well I paid for a PS1 Classic.

it doesn't power on. I blame not having the right usb power port.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago There's this character that I saw and immediately thought "that looks like a character that should be in Naruto." Mainly because he's a ninja with basically a hidden leaf headband and one of those mouth-covering masks. And then I find out his name is Sarutobi Sasuke. Hmmm
all that is ninja stereotypes. even before naruto
yep, his name is directly ripped from folklore. Ninja Warrior was named after him in the Japanese broadcast (called Sasuke), and i guarantee Sasuke Uchiha was named after him too
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Well I didn't know he was based off of a real guy but regardless my point stands that no other character in the game looks like a Naruto character, just the one that happens to be named Sasuke
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I'm playing Touhou 15: Lunatic of Lunatic Klownpeace. I found a bug while playing this game. It is wrong to say "Normal" in the upper right corner of the screen. It should be fixed with "HELL". How much beer did ZUN drink when he made this game?

OAHMAIGODD! I FINISHED STAGE 5 with one bomb in Pointdevice Mode and NORMAL difficulty!! THAT CLOWNPIECE IS A GARBAGE. THANK YOU REIMU!!
Current Power: 2.49/4.00