(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What Digimon World games are you playing?

Post by Awoo »

Digimon World 1? Now *that*'s a confusing as heck game to play, I didn't have the patience to try much with it even with a strategy guide.
How the heck do the mechanics even work? It's kind of like those odd WonderSwan games that came out around the same time, isn't it?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

In my own last playthrough of Digimon World, I expected my partner's second incarnation to end at the Champion level, as Kabuterimon. Apparently, I somehow met the conditions for it to Digivolve into Metalmamemon. Go figure.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I beat Touhou Imperishable Night as the Scarlet Team. I had a lot of fun learning the patterns and such but I don't really want to put in the time to get to the poinit where I could 1cc. I may revisit this (and perhaps EoSD as well) for 1cc attempts but for now, I am done with it.
I've been flying through Super Robot Wars Original Generation on GBA. It's a lot of fun plus it has great music and graphics especially for a GBA game. SRW looks like such a complicated series I'm not sure I'd fully take the dive and immerse myself in everything it has to offer partially because A. I'm not much of a TV show person so I most likely wouldn't watch the animes many of the games draw from and B. I can't read Japanese however seems like a lot of the game have translation patches so that's NICE.
Also I was playing TH Shoot the Bullet but it decided it wanted to lag on my PC so I had to put it on hold until it decides to work again
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

My Co-Worker bought me Terraria recently, and I'm really enjoying it! I'm still learning the ropes around it, but it's still pretty fun!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: Digimon World 1? Now *that*'s a confusing as heck game to play, I didn't have the patience to try much with it even with a strategy guide.
How the heck do the mechanics even work? It's kind of like those odd WonderSwan games that came out around the same time, isn't it?
It's basically like a v-pet game with an RPG added on top. You have to go in expecting it to be like a Tamagotchi RPG (certain stat thresholds and combinations allow for different evolutions) since that's what Digimon was based on.

It's also kinda like the SaGa games. It's a confusing mess but once you understand most of it, you're good to go for every other run.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Ys VIII. There was enough in the main game here that I'm satisfied with leaving it there and not doing the post-game dungeon. Besides, from what I saw, it's mostly fight, fight, fight and the last chapter had plenty of that anyhoo. Kind of thinking of playing Ys VI on the PSP, although I've heard that version has some not so hot loading times. Eh, the itch is there, especially for the Felghana/Origin style of gameplay.

Also, Super Mario World one more time is getting a go. Getting close to the end. Can I actually edit this stuff together when I'm done? I dang well better. It's been too long again now.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Slimeman01 wrote: 4 years ago My Co-Worker bought me Terraria recently, and I'm really enjoying it! I'm still learning the ropes around it, but it's still pretty fun!
I got Terraria years ago when a friend of mine bought a four pack for cheap during a Steam sale. It's possibly my favourite game that I have on Steam. One day I plan I getting all the (PC version) achievements; but then I look at the conditions for "Supreme Helper Minion".

I've been playing the single player campaign for Brutal Legend. That game has aesthetic choices I can get behind.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Recruited Birdramon, Vegiemon, Greymon, Tyrannomon and Angemon.
Prosperity Rate at 30.

Since yesterday it's pretty blind-ish, so it'll be a slower play as I get a feel for the difficulty curves and learn how the game is laid out.

Also got (borat voice) my wife
his mane must be so fluffy <3 <3 <3
Centarumon was better but I got lucky with learning some moves in battles and grinded stats in the Green Gym so it's less painful. Had the secondary effect of days passing by too fast orz.

I'll see you again once the game is over and I start fucking about with evolutions, mon ami.

Poor Red Earth Koba is a paper tiger compared to Shining Force Koba. Am I being too harsh? Probably.

Also the game has a Takonomics-esque exploit for endless money. I'm not the one who found it, but I'll just dub it Diginomics for this post.

The big secret to Diginomics is
amass 6000+ bits (from recruiting and the Drill Tunnel preferably) and buy a fuckton of med. recovery from the upgraded shop.

Once done, travel to Freezeland and trade all the med. recoveries (one at a time it's dreadful) to the Mojyamon that gives S. Off. Disks in exchange.

After that, travel back to town (preferably with an Auto Pilot) and sell that shit. 2000 bits a pop.

Example: Say you have 8000 bits.

You buy 15 med. recoveries (15 x 500 = 7500) + 1 Auto Pilot to get back to town (1 x 300) = 200 left.

You then get 15 S. Off. Disks which you later sell. (15 x 2000 = 30000 + 200 = 30200).

Get 58 med. recoveries (58 x 500 = 29000) + 1 more Auto Pilot (1 x 300) = 900 left.

58 S. Off Disks sold back and (58 x 2000 = 116000 + 900 = 116900 bits).

Once you have Birdramon it's much easier because you can just HM02 straight to near the Mojyamon's ice floes. You'll have to quickly dodge a Hyugamon during the loading screen due to how things still move in the fade-in. Quality game.

Let's play money making game, everyone!
You can also combine this with a little trick for maxed out stats (and weight).

Take your money and splurge it all on DigiTamamon's cooking, it increases all stats.

Sadly, DigiTamamon is post-game content.

I learned both tricks from Orange Fluffy Sheep's lovely LP on the LPArchive, and the SomethingAwful forum archives. Almost called him Mr. Orange Fluffy Sheep, my Japanophilia is showing again (replace Mr. with 氏 at the end lol).
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Been playing Astral Chain. Really enjoying it so far; love the presentation, the music, the gameplay, pretty much everything. I really need to get out of the Bayonetta mindset though; I'm not used to the more slow and methodical combat. Not nearly as nimble in this game as you are in Bayo, haha.

I've also been dabbling in KoF '00. I really like the series, but holy shit am I bad at it. I can't get past the third match. :( I love the characters though! Then again, I'm bad at every fighting game that isn't Smash, sooo...
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago I've also been dabbling in KoF '00. I really like the series, but holy shit am I bad at it. I can't get past the third match. :( I love the characters though! Then again, I'm bad at every fighting game that isn't Smash, sooo...
i'm pretty bad at everything that's not capcom (street fighter 2, alpha, 3, darkstalkers, mahvel, red earth) or sega (virtua fighter, fighting vipers, havent played last bronx yet) and i can't really combo for shit

just follow your heart
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago i'm pretty bad at everything that's not capcom (street fighter 2, alpha, 3, darkstalkers, mahvel, red earth) or sega (virtua fighter, fighting vipers, havent played last bronx yet) and i can't really combo for shit

just follow your heart
Haha, I feel. I just have to lower the difficulty even further than normal. Which is sad, but y'know.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I've been playing Astral Chain a whole bunch.
I beat it on Standard difficulty, it was a pretty fun experience.
I love the presentation.
The combat is really interesting since it's more about positioning and being all methodical.

The final boss was a little rough, part of that is because it deals so much damage.
One attack I wasn't a fan of was the weird combo string attack.
You just aren't mobile enough to avoid it at close range.
There's also the weird vortex attack, but it's not too bad since there are multiple ways to avoid it.
The visuals during the entire final boss are amazing though.

The only boss fights I outright don't enjoy are the

Arm Nemesis and Arrow Nemesis.
Whoever thought having lots of movement hindering things in a boss area was dumb. The Arrow one was also annoying because it just stays away for years and you have to use blade mode and it's terrible.

Outside of those two, I don't know of any boss I didn't like.

I'll get to the postgame File 12 eventually.

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat FFIV again because why not
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've been playing Super Mario World since it's on Switch now, doing a 96-exit run + all dragon coins since I've never gotten all of them before I don't think.

Also there's something off about the sound of the fire from when sumo brothers' lightning bolt hits the ground. Can anyone else confirm this? It doesn't sound like the normal sound effect.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At Galuf's world in Final Fantasy V. Aqua Breath is proving very useful.
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

After running through Chocolate Secret 3 times unable to find more than 1 dragon coin, I finally Googled and apparently they just forgot to put the rest of them in?

TIL
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago After running through Chocolate Secret times unable to find more than 1 dragon coin, I finally Googled and apparently they just forgot to put the rest of them in?
That's correct. That level only has one Dragon Coin. The GBA version of SMW added them all in as well as to other levels. I got confused when looking at the map during my own recordings for any levels that had less (or more) than five!

Just down to Special World and Bowser's Castle left to record now. Going to try to do a little bit more today.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Another thing I noticed is that the castles don't have dragon coins, which makes sense because you can only re-enter them with L+R which is kind of a secret, and in the Japanese version you can't reenter castles at all.

...Except Roy's castle which has dragon coins for some reason.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Been playing Hitman: Blood Money. I started it before but never finished it, so I'm doing a fresh run now.

It's pretty neat, each mission is basically a giant puzzle involving studying the level and the character's behaviours to form a plan, and then executing it without getting caught. It's made in a way that you can tell there's an intended solution from the developers, but it's obtuse enough that you gotta pay attention and figure it out on your own, and it's open enough that you can make it any other way, though you'll probably get worse results.

I'm on mission 4 now and they're varying up the objectives past just "kill the dude", with additional goals and optional targets, so that's cool.

They seem to be actively discouraging an aggressive playstyle but they also limit your non-lethal options by a lot, so trying to go as unnoticed as possible is a big part of the challenge. It's possible that I'm just bad though, I should probably learn to use more distractions.

In terms of gripes so far, while it's cool to observe each NPC's movement pattern it sucks when your plan depends on them and you just gotta wait around a lot. The game's got some jank overall too, regarding certain interactions and the AI (just today I got an important character to freeze itself in place). Also it's really easy to save scum even with limited permitted saves, but it does cut down on some of the frustration that comes from trial-and-error.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I've also been playing through Super Mario World.
The music sounds quieter than I remember.

I went through the Special Zone as soon as I could so I could finally appreciate the sprite changes.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I just got to Special World too except I'm doing it last cause it just felt natural

Also Larry's castle had dragon coins too for some reason. I'm like, pretty confident I've gotten all the dragon coins in levels that have them. The only concern is if there's level where all 5 of them are hidden off in some area I didn't find.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Okay and in Awesome I think there's 8 dragon coins. I was only able to find 4 along the regular course path, but then you can take Yoshi to the bonus area with wings where there's 4 more. And the 4th coin of the main stage area is beyond the wings, so if you were to want to get all 8 you'd have to backtrack which I don't even know if that's possible given you're riding ropes around. Very odd
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Okay and in Awesome I think there's 8 dragon coins. I was only able to find 4 along the regular course path, but then you can take Yoshi to the bonus area with wings where there's 4 more. And the 4th coin of the main stage area is beyond the wings, so if you were to want to get all 8 you'd have to backtrack which I don't even know if that's possible given you're riding ropes around. Very odd.
Got me confused for a moment until you mentioned the ropes since it's Way Cool that's like that. You could technically double back and get them if you have a cape. That's the only way you're getting all eight in that stage. It's also one of those rare levels that doesn't have five on the main route, kind of like how Valley of Bowser 2 does it. That one's easier to backtrack in if you want to get them all anyway.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'll trust you on the special world level name cause I literally can never remember them

Except Tubular since it was my stopping point as a kid. And honestly I think it's the hardest level in the game, I don't know why it's right at the beginning of special world!
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What games are you playing? Totally toobular

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I'll trust you on the special world level name cause I literally can never remember them

Except Tubular since it was my stopping point as a kid. And honestly I think it's the hardest level in the game, I don't know why it's right at the beginning of special world!
Tubular is the worst vanilla SMW level, hands down. Many a thrown controller was caused by that level back in the day :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image