(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

started playing jump half too yesterday i'm at world 3
it's pretty fun! honestly the western vip5 so far. made it to hongry plants, but then my power went out for like two hours so i just played odyssey and got through lost kingdom and metro kingdom

edit: i'm at koopa khaos

update on summon night even if i havent played it in a few days: i'm at chapter 5, trying to do the Sivon (スウォン) sub scenario but it kicked my butt and i didnt save so im back to the start of chapter 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woops

i should feel bad about playing this without being very good at jp but i just want to relax and play a strategy rpg

onions on jumphalf:
ワールド1:草原
BEGINNER FRIENDLY
generally an easy stage. i like the feeling of a 105 edit, very vip1-ish haha

JANK TOWN USA
i kept thinking this stage was gonna make me do stupid bullshit because of all the custom blocks and whatnot but then i remembered that this was just the tutorial level

Home Run Derby
the baseball bat makes me laugh, i adore how the baseballs just become fireballs as if to say they're on fire from how hard mario swung it. it's so good!

Over Hills and Valleys
really good eye candy, very anikiti-esque or "that guy that did the bubble stages in vip"-esque. however, i do find the random clouds and coins in the middle of the sky just really dumb and kinda were a red herring for me when it came to finding the last dragon coin.

Hot Kickin'
i like the vanilla cave-ish feel. honestly it feels a bit like an edit at times. maybe that's a compliment?

Spooooooooky Cave
so begins the jank. I like the ghost skins for everything its cute. stage also felt very vanilla cave-ish with its open verticality in some segments

Offline Fencing
now this is podracing. a very nice hectic athletic level. felt kinda star world-ish.

Helium Caverns
i love the custom balloons. it makes a world of difference when you just have an irritating maze style of control instead of having your character constantly being nudged upwards, and i say this as someone who has no trouble at all with tubular. on keyboard. also this stage fucking owned my ass and was the first difficulty spike in my journey

Bastion 2 Blue
a nice, simple castle. i enjoyed the tribute to bastion in blue, really feels like a logical evolution of that stage, an Act 2 if you don't mind me speaking in furry terms

ワールド2:高原
Where No Man Lands
the whole floating platforms in the middle of nowhere "aesthetic" had a really good feel to it, very super mario sunshine secret level esque. also kinda yumpy? but not in a bad way! i had fun.

THIS WHAT GOD FEEL LIKE
this is a good name. i like the twist on mario 3 reddish note blocks, a very creative stage. pretty funny too.

Destiny of Grassland
another pretty stage. didnt feel much ~destiny~ from it but it was the kind of focused level design with colorful aesthetics i've come to expect from watching yoshi numbers' vids <3

VLDC Media Player
a nice vanilla level? i was kinda expecting it to turn it on its head and go full chocolate as a small gag but. a breather level is fine too

The Rhineland
this level made me laugh.

River of the Living Beards
a so-so stage honestly. no offense to sixcorbo. fuzzies are cute tho, especially the little zangief ones from asmt

JUMPING TIME
a fun star world-ish math platform stage. my one complaint is that i tried to go on the pipe for the secret exit like three times and in those three times it didnt register as me going in despite pressing up? that's nintendo's fault rest assured just. i legit had no idea where the secret exit was until i went a bit through world 3!

Peer Pressure
i'm honestly glad the ladies' bathroom text got changed in the latter half, extremely bad timing with the whole bathroom bill issue. you did miss an attempt to make a funny joke about ladies' bathrooms being portals to a dimension of eldritch horrors or something. a really funny stage and a clever spin on reset doors.

WINNERS DONT USE DRUGS
i was legit expecting the hallucinogenic shrooms to just kill you????? what the fuck mog. then again i'm probably confusing mogsiah with mindevous and mog probably was just always pretty good at asm? who knows. it was funy

Green Palace of the Alchemist
a very clever, very fun switch palace! i liked this! i liked this? i liked this.

When Porcupuffers Fly
sonic mania yoooooo. reminds me a bit of the oil spill level in one of the MGUs but this one is actually good???? 乙 i like the little wings on the porcupuffers :)

Midday and Midnight
memories of the Day World and Night World from VIP4. overall an easyish stage if you know what setting is best for each segment of the level. it'd be neat if you gated the dragon coins behind the harder routes, but i dont want to be nitpicky

PUNCHLINE
honestly a very awkward gimmick? funny concept though, just not my thing. sorry

Dynamic Dungeon
the ff legend 2 song does not fit here. a fun stage, i look forward to replaying it with the red switch.

ワールド3:砂漠
Desert Artillery Range
another very anikiti-ish stage, down to the wiggler chomps. a fun little romp, easier than anikiti

ILLUSIYELLOW
okay real talk this level kept fucking me up because i am not used to things that are yellow not being tangible but things of another color are??????? damn you!!!!!!!!!!! i do wonder if this stage is too hard for colorblind people tho (sweat emoji)

The Bootstrapped
this stage was really good. the gimmick is really dumb but the execution is excellent, as expected from worldpeace. the feeling of using a quintet of podoboos performing synchronized reflecting as a platform was very orgasmic though.

Big Bubble Watchers
a breather level, but there's really not much that can be made from the gas bubbles. had fun!

Do They Float?
my second favorite stage so far, and another ass-kicker. replaying it to get that last dragon coin made it that much better. 10/10 i want to marry this level.

Treehouse of the Parakoopas
i was worried at first because the start seemed too busy, like Poker's Piranha Island hack, but the rest of the stage was surprisingly easy on the eyes. not that many parakoopas, but it was a quality stage. keep it up.

The Lost Lotus Forest
i really want to know how you did the dynamic level loading. did you load the layer 1 from another sublevel behind the player's back? a nice stage if kinda easy-ish. i like the variety in lotuses tho

Caliginous Coppice
the secret exit method legit pissed me off? especially because i kept dying in stupid ways trying to get it. this isn't fair! not a bad level :)

Rubicon
this level is up there with some of the best. you managed to make a level where you cant go right fun, creative and challenging. what the fuck is with this.... furry. lazy, please take my hand in marriage you absolute madperson. i love this stage you have no idea WOW

Questionable Yellow Switch
i'm sorry i do not like this stage at all haha. i dont want to be mean but the ? block spam and the close corner maneuvering with the sawblades is just not very fun and feels very cumbersome. first stage i outright didnt like. i'm so sorry

Brain Plague
a very suspenseful stage. i actually enjoyed this one a lot!

Bunny Hop
a neat level exploring the many uses of jiangshi-style hoppin' statues. honestly a huge step up from the previous sixcorby stage. really good shit, keep it up boyo!!!!!!!!

this group of trees is cOLD
wow this haruhi port still sucks ass. so-so ice stage, honestly. i didnt really enjoy it much but that's fine.

Quillstamp Melody
probably the best attempt at making a bramble level out of vanilla assets i've seen thus far. i'm a graphics whore so i'm easily suckered into any decent rip of the dkc2 brambles, but this stage was really good looking. i'm impressed. anyway, very solid stage, kinda tough-ish tho. my one complaint is that the 3up moon is too easy to get, even if i did grind to 99 lives in the oasis.

hongry plants
this level, kicked my but??? the kind of jump level i suck ass at lol

i saw you in the forest
a simple layer 2 level. pretty fun
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago jumphalf spoilers
Caliginous Coppice
the secret exit method legit pissed me off? especially because i kept dying in stupid ways trying to get it. this isn't fair! not a bad level :)
question spoiler
How do you get the secret exit?
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

Zinfandel wrote: 5 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago jumphalf spoilers
Caliginous Coppice
question spoiler
How do you get the secret exit?
E: nevermind, I figured out the answer, oh my god
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I finish Dragon Quest XI around 130 hours.
I did everything that was needed to get the Platinum Trophy, and also beat

Overweening Pride. A pretty fun boss, and one of the few that called for Magic Burst.

The

final final boss

was also interesting, even if the

game felt kinda like it ended almost too quickly after he was defeated. It was just kinda like "By the way here's Yggdragon. The 3rd Act was kinda more game for less story.

I enjoyed the credits. They were neat because they included gameplay of past games. Well, most of the time. One of the games had only dialogue shown, and DQX was only cutscene shown.

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i have the cutscenes on the HD remix for KH 358/2 days but i also own the original DS game anyways and felt like replaying it on beginner was better than sitting through an incomplete collection of cutscenes and cliffnotes, so i'm doing that now

ignoring basically all side stuff and not taking the game too seriously because, well, it sucks kinda, but as far as a pick up and play style of gameplay the mission structure is solid for that & the game mostly feels okay except for the camera. dunno. some of the mission types suck too (recon, emblems)

thanks to beginner mode for trivializing most everything though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

that's honestly why im considering skipping days and just watching the cutscenes alongside reading a story summary it just sounds absolutely dreadful to play like re:com. what the fuck happened to those two

oh yeah i also played through all of dragon quest 1 snes again because im sad
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yoshi's Crafted World is a mixed bag. I thought it was pretty enjoyable in the middle of the game, but at the same time, just kind of lost interest after that until the final boss for the most part. I don't know. Woolly World was great most of the way through, so I can only view this one as a good step or two back. Had its moments though. Just not enough of them.

And the less said about the majority of the soundtrack, the better.
Crow

Post by Crow »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago that's honestly why im considering skipping days and just watching the cutscenes alongside reading a story summary it just sounds absolutely dreadful to play like re:com. what the fuck happened to those two

oh yeah i also played through all of dragon quest 1 snes again because im sad
358/2 is bad enough and i was old enough to realize it was bad that it made me not play any KH games for a decade, lol
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Katana ZERO is pretty god-damn amazing. Very interesting action game with a poppin soundtrack that actually pulls its weight in terms of 80s cultural aesthetics. I'm almost tempted to put it in for the next Patapon vote...except it's also extremely dark.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im at the crest search in dq2 snes

apparently you can miss out on the crest searching tip by choosing to decline dragonlord jr's offer to have charlock castle so that's nice
good thing this is an open-ish rpg and not a super linear one like ff3+ that basically requires you to do everything in order or there would be Problems

restarting summon night to make more of an effort to translate it for myself
i feel bad for taking too long with rpgs because i want to play them all but ill try to hold that in to savor and enjoy sumonai for what it is

im mostly doing this because i liked swordcraft story so much and also its an srpg
Image Image
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Of course Half Jump in SNES.
I found 127 exits. Only 3 exits left but I don't know where they are..
Bowser's Castle was pretty easy this time(?)
JUMP1 is harder I think? (Shell Sticker, Pixel Perfect, Shattered Dreams etc..)
Nice Second Run port on the Sky land.
TALKHAUS defeats Vippers completely.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Of course Half Jump in SNES.
I found 127 exits. Only 3 exits left but I don't know where they are..
Bowser's Castle was pretty easy this time(?)
JUMP1 is harder I think? (Shell Sticker, Pixel Perfect, Shattered Dreams etc..)
Nice Second Run port on the Sky land.
TALKHAUS defeats Vippers completely.
Oh shit, welcome back Jongseok. I was before your time on here but I've seen you around so don't worry.

I don't want to say they're better than the VIPPERs because that's tantamount to sacrilege to me, but what I've played of JUMP 1/2 (almost done with World 3, levels are just starting to become a thing so (sweat emoji)) is honestly on par with VIP5, which is the best SMW romhack I've played before JUMP 1/2.

So yeah. The improved difficulty curve + easier levels overall really work in the hack's favor. A definite masterpiece.

Unrelated to the above, I restarted Summon Night to actually translate the text to myself instead of just fast forwarding through it and playing the game portion.

I have this weird asperger's thing where I feel bad if I cheese a game too hard and take too little, but also if I take too long and waste my time in the game, this same thing happened with Popolocrois PS1. I want to get over this because there's a lot of RPGs that aren't available in English (yet) that look really neat and I want to play them and enjoy their story, like Star Ocean Blue Sphere which is only available in Japanese and has a French translation patch because damn you Gideon Zhi, plus I might end up learning some new words and kanji on my way there.

I need to find some good ways to learn and memorize Japanese words and kanji, spaced repetition doesnt seem to be working for me.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Used a guide to help me find 3 of the 5 crests in Dragon Quest 2 SNES. This game really falls apart by then. World map design just took a sharp drop compared to all that came before as well as Dragon Quest 1 and in an open game (two fifths open in dq2's case) that is kind of maybe a big deal?

Like, large empty stretches of sea aren't very good to help find your way through things without a sort of ingame map screen.

Need to get Life Crest, the Water Crest and the Water Flying Cloth.
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I've been playing Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure recently, and it's a whole lot of average. The music's okay, the dungeon design is very simplistic and the difficulty is practically nonexistent. Granted I am only playing on Normal, maybe it's hard on Hard. The story is a cliche save the prince plot but at least the characters aren't all that boring.

I'm at Inaba Pride Exhibit in Persona Q and honestly at this point I just want the game to be over. It's neat seeing the P3 and P4 casts interact but I haven't really been having a blast with the dungeon exploration.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Just finished off beating Sekiro without Kuro's charm. After you beat the game there's a new bit of dialogue near the beginning of the game where you can give this charm away that makes it so you take chip damage, enemies have more health/posture, you have less of it, and status effects build faster. I ended up going through and beating all bosses and mini bosses. It was pretty fun, I had to learn some boss movesets more than I previously ever did.

I think next up I'll probably switch back to my file that's on max NG+ difficulty, give away the charm again, and turn on the demon bell effect that makes the game even harder. I guess that's the true maximum you can cap the game's difficulty at, so if I can do that then I'll probably be done with this for a while until DLC comes out.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh yeah also I played through with the English dub and boy is it awkward!

Some of the voice actors are okay, but some just sound like people reading lines.

There is this one merchant that knocked it out of the park though. I think he improvised on a few lines even, cause he said extra stuff that isn't in the subtitles. I tried to get as much dialogue out of him as possible because he was so much fun to listen to! But regardless I'm switching back to Japanese voices after this cause it feels correct.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I decided to pick up Yakuza Kiwami.
I've gotten up to just after

Majima in the batting cages

. That boss was a nightmare on Hard.
Otherwise, I've really enjoyed it, especially the side stories.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Been doing that aforementioned Sekiro run of max NG+/no Kuro charm/demon's bell active.
I've got several bosses down, but I'm at the point where most of them can 1-hit kill me so it's getting fun.
Crow

Post by Crow »

screwing around with la-mulana randomizer because it's fun and raocow put me in the mood
i got the feather as my very first item (aside from the few i opted to start with) which was really funny but my seed ended up bottlenecking at the endless corridor about halfway through and i got a bit annoyed. opened up pretty nicely right after that though
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

クロノトリガーの日本語版をプレイしている
カエルとニズベールはカッコ可愛い
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Currently playing Aggelos on the Switch. The game's a cross between Zelda II and Wonder Boy. It plays pretty well and is pretty good about steering you in the right direction if you do get lost. Got through a couple of dungeons and just picked up a treasure that lets me transport between save points, so that will cut down on backtracking in a big way now. Fun game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat DQ2.

Helped a bit with depression
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ah, apparently there's a glitch in Aggelos that needs to be patched where you can't jump for a certain section when you need to, and I just got struck by it. I hope their patch will fix the thing because I was flying through this game until that roadblock happened.
computerfan0
The raddest - no, the opposite
First name: NO U
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by computerfan0 »

Playing Terraria at the moment.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Lufia 1 while trying to survive until my next therapist appointment. I know the opening of Lufia 1 spoils the ending to Lufia 2, it's just that Lufia 2 has such a drastic leap in quality that I didn't want to "taint" Lufia 1 by playing it after it.

Walking speed in dungeons and world map is pretty slow, encounter rate is a bit too much, exp. and gold rate is a bit low (in the early game at least), but it's very charming, Lufia's (the character) relationship dynamic with the protag is super cute. Heading to the tower northwest of Grenoble, gonna do a bit of grinding. Game's a bit tough (or I'm just bad at it, either or).

I'll say this, the spell names are pretty sucky. If you're going to name a healing spell, give it a nonsense name like Hoimi, Dia, Lef that can be appended to other healing spells to create a sort of "family", or give it a simpler name like Midheal, Curaga...

Lufia's healing spells are like Strong, Stronger, Champion, with Boost and Valor as full-party recovery spells. None of this sounds like a healing spell, Strong and Boost sound like buffing spells, Champion and Valor don't sound like anything.
Image Image