(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Final Fantasy Tactics,,, I gave up on grinding the units that were lagging behind and just yeeted them out of my party. Unlocked a few more abilities in Monk, Knight, Priest, Wizard and Time Mage as my main party. Their current jobs are Knight (Ramza), Monk (Ian), Time Mage (Holly) and Priest (Kyomi). Went through Fovoham Plains, Fort Zeikden, started Chapter 2, went through Dorter Trade City, Araguay Woods (saved the Chocobo) and Zirekile Falls.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started playing manifold garden after learning it just released on switch

the gameplay itself is... uh, unspectacular but god this game looks beautiful
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I'm coming up on the Fourth Totema Battle Babus Duel in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Fighter/Blue Mage is really the best balance between offense and defense for Marche. (I need to double-check my blue magic learning checklist to see if I can move Marche over to full-time Doublehand or Double Sword yet)

I'm also in the basement of Hollow Bastion in Kingdom Hearts. So effing glad I'm following a walkthrough, this game is actually enjoyable when I'm not spending hours on the same four rooms (even though I'm still dealing with the jank of the original release).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I'm in a weird state where I want to start a new game, but I don't want to start anything until I start my vacation (which begins Saturday). That leaves ACNH, Fall Guys (which I kind of just want to play in bits and chunks), and a Fiesta run with a very unpromising start (Monk). (My goal of 6 Fiestas is probably not going to happen, I'll have to settle with 5)

That said, did start exercising with Ring Fit Adventure. Still have to figure out how to strap the leg part in and keep it secure. Doing stretches for now until I feel confident I can spend 15 minutes a day "playing" this, then I'll start playing the adventure.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing Fall Guys in bits and chunks is the perfect way to play the game!

Along with that, I'm going through Dragon Quest Heroes for that mindless hack-and-slash fix. It's okay, but the missions where you have to protect anything are way harder than just about anything else I've done in the game. Coming up on the end, but I'll probably grind out some of the post-game stuff after that.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm coming up on the fifth Totema battle first encounter with Llednar Twem in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I forgot how annoying the DMG2: Animal law is. I can handle every law except that one with clever party composition.

I've also breached The End of the World in Kingdom Hearts, after a brief trip to Olympus Coliseum to pick up Blizzaga/Thundaga/Graviga. I probably should go pick up Aeroga as well before I get too deep into it. Stopga can go eat a ham.

I've also started up Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. I know the first third of the game by heart, but once I get past the Lord Warrior's assault on the Veiled Alliance I get lost. Currently wandering around the Tyrian Mines/Underdark segment (the game's glitchy as hell and I got camera-softlocked in the Underdark so I'm glad I have a backup save).
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Playing Fall Guys in bits and chunks is the perfect way to play the game!
I would do that, buuuuut my friend is grinding the hell out of it (he's already at Level 40)

Anyway, the fifth and final Fiesta of the season...and I was given Geomancer the fourth time in a row :monstrosity:

I threw up my arms and Job Fair'd it. Currently MON/SUM/DAN/???. It's definitely a run I can Shin. Omega is unlikely, though.

UPDATE COS I DON'T FAKE IT: MON/SUM/DAN/SAM! Okay, this'll be fun, though I'll have to grind super hard for Samurai if I want to use Iainuki. May just skip it because I don't have enough time between now and Friday evening to finish this up, and I'd rather not take this game with me on vacation. At end of World 1.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started playing filament after having played the demo a month or two back. what a good puzzle game. scared of how hard later puzzles might get.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nast

Post by Nast »

Chrono Trigger is done. Man, what an excellent game. Great battle system and super charming story. I'm already a couple hours into the very generous New Game+ to seek out the alternate endings. Got one of them today -
where you take the Gate in Leene Square right at the start of the game and fight Lavos with just Crono and Marle. I was told that's like the hardest one to get, so hey! Nomura faking a soft reset was pretty funny
I equipped Crono with his strongest available sword (which adds a 70% crit rate), a Haste Helm and a Frenzy Band (80% counterattack chance), so he's kind of a monster right now lol
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Haven't been playing any games recently. I'm not busy I've just been lazy and distracted with twatter and dickord. I hate socializing, I should play video games everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago I've also breached The End of the World in Kingdom Hearts, after a brief trip to Olympus Coliseum to pick up Blizzaga/Thundaga/Graviga. I probably should go pick up Aeroga as well before I get too deep into it. Stopga can go eat a ham.
what do you mean you dont wanna fight

sephiroth

(optional boss spoilers), who iirc requires a fuckton of grinding

kingdom hearts is good, good luck with final boss 👀
NastCF wrote: Chrono Trigger is done. Man, what an excellent game. Great battle system and super charming story. I'm already a couple hours into the very generous New Game+ to seek out the alternate endings.
hmm... no simba avatar....
i really should do a playthrough where i get all the endings. i think i have a savefile that's on like zeal? not sure

i also wrote a fucking essay about short, good turn based rpgs, arpgs and srpgs for you to play (all j tho, i feel like they're easier to digest than retro wrpgs/crpgs) but i thought its best to not overwhelm you with choices even if they're like <25h.
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago i also wrote a fucking essay about short, good turn based rpgs, arpgs and srpgs for you to play (all j tho, i feel like they're easier to digest than retro wrpgs/crpgs) but i thought its best to not overwhelm you with choices even if they're like <25h.
No no no I'd love to see this, especially since you already put the work into it! I might not play another RPG right away but having a reference like that in the future would be super useful
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago hmm... no simba avatar....
i'm sorry i just wanted to give lil simbo a break : (
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago
i think this was a smart move. simbo needs rest just as much as anyone else

i played and beat Pikuniku the other day. wildly charming little game with a skin-deep message about the dangers of capitalism. honestly the tone is kinda like if mother 3 was written by a young millennial, which this game probably was. it's also written without capital letters most of the time, which kinda blew my mind, like i hadn't considered commercial games just being allowed to write english however they want

i beat the game with a bunch of inventory slots open so i'm assuming there's some postgame stuff i can nab, which i might get to eventually. it was a fun romp but the game's areas aren't the most fun to scour with the game's movement mechanics, so i don't feel super motivated to go secret hunting
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 3 years ago ...dangers of capitalism...written without capital letters...
Well if they included capital letters, it would undermine the message.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
raekuul wrote: 3 years ago I've also breached The End of the World in Kingdom Hearts, after a brief trip to Olympus Coliseum to pick up Blizzaga/Thundaga/Graviga. I probably should go pick up Aeroga as well before I get too deep into it. Stopga can go eat a ham.
what do you mean you dont wanna fight

sephiroth

(optional boss spoilers), who iirc requires a fuckton of grinding

kingdom hearts is good, good luck with final boss 👀
Spoiler Boss... oh man is that a fight I'm not looking forward to. I've beaten him in KH2 though, for what it's worth, but KH2 is a more playable game in general. I could probably beat Final Mix 1 Spoiler Boss though, since Final Mix brings Reaction Commands to KH1.

As for the grinding, it's more that I have to grind out the guard timings on the initial onslaught. By the time you can fight this fight, you've got the rest of your survival kit. You could probably beat this fight at level 1 if you had Once More (it'd take forever though).
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

After not playing it for a while, I went back to Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers and I got to the Algon Microelectronics dungeon. That particular session was really annoying because almost every single enemy only attacked Nemissa barring a multi-target attack. As a result I had to heal her after basically every battle. Both the protagonist (whom I named Dack Ralter) and Nemissa kept missing most of their attacks too. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again because it was really annoying. Setting that aside, I am interested in seeing where the game goes next! The story and characters are nice; the futuristic setting is abnormal for megaten but I think it's done pretty well. Makes me wish Devil Summoner's english patch wasn't abandoned. The game seems interesting based on the small amount of it I played but I did not have a good time trying to play the game in Japanese.

Also beat Bowser' Castle in JUMP and started a bit of the Post game but I was feeling rather burnt out from some of the really hard levels in the game so I decided to come back to it later. Over all, I think it's a really good hack other than some notable levels that, to me, were miserable experiences.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i was gonna play phantasy star 2 yesterday but then i fell asleep for the entire day and woke up this morning

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago I could probably beat Final Mix 1 Spoiler Boss though, since Final Mix brings Reaction Commands to KH1.
I actually beat Final Mix and it didnt, it was still plain KH1 gameplay.

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote:
NastCF wrote: 3 years ago
i think this was a smart move. simbo needs rest just as much as anyone else
simbo is babby... let him sleep

NastCF wrote: No no no I'd love to see this, especially since you already put the work into it! I might not play another RPG right away but having a reference like that in the future would be super useful
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

im not gonna try to add descriptions because im a lazy bitch but i will give you a massive fucking list
SNES:
Brain Lord
Der Langrisser (strategy, sequel to Warsong)
Dragon Quest I&II
EVO: Search for Eden
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (more of an oddity, way too simplified but I enjoyed it)
Front Mission
Illusion of Gaia
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (pretty hard, warning)
Live A Live
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (pretty hard too)
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Shadowrun (WRPG, different from MegaDrive)
Shin Megami Tensei if...
Soul Blazer
Star Ocean
Super Mario RPG
Terranigma
Treasure Hunter G
Trials of Mana
Ys V: Kefin, Lost Kingdom of Sand

TurboGrafx-CD:
Exile
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (there's also another Ys IV on the SNES but it's pretty average, play it if you want)
Ys: Books I&II

MegaDrive:
Beyond Oasis (Action-Adventure)
Crusader of Centy (Action-Adventure)
Phantasy Star IV
Shadowrun (WRPG, different from SNES, pretty hard, it seems)
Shining Force
Warsong (Langrisser 1)

Playstation:
Arc the Lad
Brave Fencer Musashi
Brigandine (has a sequel on the Switch)
Koudelka
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve
SaGa Frontier (really hard with mechanics that require a guide to understand, but very fun once you get a hang of it)
Suikoden
Vagrant Story
Vandal Hearts

Saturn:
The Legend of Oasis (Action-Adventure)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sakura Wars
These are just the really short ones, <25hrs. There's a ton of really good JRPGs on the SNES and Playstation but they tend to be pretty long. Do check out those libraries for more of the good stuff, but don't be afraid to branch out for other platforms as well.
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Personally, I'd recommend Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2 over if... but if isn't a bad suggestion. I'm not surprised to see names I do not recognize, I've never branched out too much in RPG world.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 3 years ago Personally, I'd recommend Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2 over if... but if isn't a bad suggestion. I'm not surprised to see names I do not recognize, I've never branched out too much in RPG world.
I'm just not sure about SMT1&2's length, but do play those too if you (Nast) are not opposed to possibly slightly longer games. A lot of PS1 RPGs are like 30-60 hours so I had to leave out a lot of good shit ;w;
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

SMT1 probably isn't more than 25 hours especially if you use a guide, unless maybe if you're doing Neutral because

basically having to do the Cathedral twice and just fighting both the Law route and Chaos route bosses in general

. If you do play SMT1, you should use Orden's fix patch as Gideon's english patch introduces some silly bugs like not being able to buy guns in the early game and the law route completely breaking, making it impossible to complete. I can't really say for SMT2 though. Haven't played much of it!

I know that feeling, some of my most favorite games are rather long so they can be a bit much to suggest someone to play
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grinded Rolf to lv19, Rudolf to lv18, Amy to 18 and Kain to 17 in Phantasy Star 2. Gonna try to get Rolf to lv20 before progressing with the story.
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

So I'm on the cusp of finishing Kingdom Hearts and now I've been completely sidetracked with trying to make the Ultima Weapon (which requires completing all the other Synthesis quests which in turn requires getting multiple Mystery Goo). I don't need the Ultima Weapon, the Divine Rose is much better for ground combat and I won't have a chance to switch to the Lionheart for the World of Chaos. I think I'll go kick Ansem's butt tonight then come back (much, much) later to finish the sidequestery.

I've also gotten sidetracked by a stupid thing in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - I can get Angel Whisper from the first engagement with Llednar. I get until Llednar's third turn to control a Titania (which already has a piss-poor control rate) and hit Marche with it (Marche's starting position is both fixed and actually really bad for getting in range of a controlled Titania). Nu Mou are among the slowest characters in the game, and only a Nu Mou can make a Titania cast Angel Whisper on Marche... I think it may just be better to track down which recurring engagements have Titanias since then I won't be under severe time pressure.

At least I'm not actually stuck in Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager - I can go for the Lyre of Winds or the Fire Ruby. Probably the Lyre of Winds first, since I don't have to worry about accidentally amplified time pressure from shoddy programming for that.
Nast

Post by Nast »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago im not gonna try to add descriptions because im a lazy bitch but i will give you a massive fucking list
Thanks a lot! Some of these names I'm already sort of familiar with (like Live A Live) so I might give them priority
I actually tried EVO a long time ago but I ragequit after accidentally losing my savefile :c It's very neat though, I should give it another chance

Speaking of Phantasy Star, I've heard that the four games' stories are connected in some way. Is it fine to jump straight to IV?

HatKid wrote: Personally, I'd recommend Shin Megami Tensei 1 or 2 over if...
Noted! If they're not that much longer then it shouldn't be a problem

Think I'm missing like 3 endings (out of 10?) in Chrono Trigger, assuming I haven't miscounted. At least defeating

Lavos

is becoming second nature haha
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of Phantasy Star, I've heard that the four games' stories are connected in some way. Is it fine to jump straight to IV?
I'm not really sure of how connected they are apart from Alis/Alisa's battle with Dark Falz showing up at the intro of Phantasy Star II and

Noah/Lutz being a side character in PS2 and PS4 as well as Myau's species showing up in PS4

and the first four games all taking place in the Algol System, because I haven't played III yet and I haven't played IV in like over a decade and also never made much progress in it because I was a Pokémon kid who was never that interested in other RPGs when I was younger.

I was interested in Zelda but how much of a "true RPG" that series and games in that style of gameplay are is contested by many. I personally just consider it RPG adjacent, but not exactly an RPG due to most games not having a focus on stat building outside of Zelda II, which feels a lot more inspired by Xanadu, Romancia and Sorcerian and the like than Zelda 1 was (which also seemed to be inspired by Xanadu, as well as Hydlide and Tower of Druaga admittedly). BotW does seem to have a lot of open world Western RPG influences, though. I was just more into platformers due to how pick-up-and-play and replayable they were, especially the Sonic games. Nowadays I prefer a good story and world, my action game reflexes have gone soft :cry:

If you wanna play 1, I advise the SEGA AGES port on the Switch, it has a lot of QoL improvements including automapping for dungeons, it's probably one of the better JRPGs to come out of the NES/SMS/7800 generation. 2, I'm not sure how the PlayStation 2 remake is or if it has a translation patch, but the MegaDrive original aged pretty poorly and is kind of hard to get into. 3 I've heard is the jankiest and least popular of the series.

As for time, a lot of 16bit and 32bit RPGs tend to be in the 20-40 hour range if you're not looking to 100%. Some 32bit ones can go up to ~60? But the only one I've seen go beyond that is Dragon Quest VII which is ~80-100 and everyone agrees that it is ridiculous. PlayStation 2 also seems to be the same outside of the Persona games (~70-80). The few RPGs there are on Dreamcast and GameCube also seem to be around that length.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Dragon Quest Heroes was one of the more whatever Warriors style of games I've played in a good while since it had way too many item grinds and protect the X missions. Still got through it with the platinum, but that last hour or two was not a good last memory of the game. Ha.

And I doubt I'll ever get the platinum for Fall Guys because of that win five episodes in a row deal. That's asking way too much of me in a game filled with random chaos, with or without the quitting early exploit. Slime Climb is still the best thing about that game, and I hope they design more layouts for it along with all the new stuff the Season 2 update will bring in October.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of Phantasy Star, I've heard that the four games' stories are connected in some way. Is it fine to jump straight to IV?
I'm not really sure of how connected they are apart from Alis/Alisa's battle with Dark Falz showing up at the intro of Phantasy Star II and

Noah/Lutz being a side character in PS2 and PS4 as well as Myau's species showing up in PS4

and the first four games all taking place in the Algol System, because I haven't played III yet and I haven't played IV in like over a decade and also never made much progress in it because I was a Pokémon kid who was never that interested in other RPGs when I was younger.
I recall the general story arc of the early Phantasy Stars being 1, 2, and 4, with 3 being kind of a side story set in the same place (It's worth noting 3 was not done with the same team as the other three). That said, 4 does a pretty good job of covering the bases of 1 and 2 and sort of ties the story together by giving it a meaningful conclusion.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image