(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

instead of doing programming today I played Romancing SaGa

then got reminded of why I don't really like gradius when I played parodius da
the vegas girl and spider walker aren't a fun obstacle for me sorry
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago It definitely did a better job on traversing areas. Spidey's movements are very fluid and eventually effortless to pull off. Combat is a mixed bag since I think they go a bit overkill on fighting groups at times, but it's still pretty fun overall. Guess that's the difference between playing through a game and going for 100% on it though.

If you do get around to playing it, I totally recommend doing side quests and optional stuff here and there between story missions. Whether you choose to do some or all at once is your call. Either way, I'd give the game a pretty good B+ rating. It had some spots where it dragged, but I enjoyed it more than I didn't, and I'm not even much of a Marvel guy. In fact, this was the first Spider-Man game I beat since the first movie one way back in 2002. This PS4 one's definitely better than that was. Ha-ha.
Gotcha. I just finished GTA V's story and that was my approach there and it worked out nicely, so I'll do the same on Spider-Man! And same on not being a Marvel guy; I'll watch a few films here and there, but Spider-Man's really one of the few Marvel series to grip me.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Just managed to complete a Hard 1CC in Touhou 17 for the first time. I do like this game but boy am I terrible at micrododging. :s
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago Just managed to complete a Hard 1CC in Touhou 17 for the first time. I do like this game but boy am I terrible at micrododging. :s
How's the game overall? It looked pretty neat from the demo but I'm not sure how I feel about how intrusive the gimmick is this time around. Still need to get used to the characters and music; I'm sure I'll come around when I get to actually playing it, though.
Nast

Post by Nast »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago How's the game overall? It looked pretty neat from the demo but I'm not sure how I feel about how intrusive the gimmick is this time around. Still need to get used to the characters and music; I'm sure I'll come around when I get to actually playing it, though.
I'll copy what I wrote in the Games Beaten thread:
The more recent Touhous have been sort of underwhelming for me so I didn't go into this one with very high expectations, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. In terms of bullet patterns there's some imaginative stuff there, and the character designs are solid. Difficulty is not the highest - I'm not a great player and I can do Normal 1CC with plenty of lives to spare - but to be fair that's mostly due to the spirit system, where you go into a hyper mode after collecting at least three of the same spirit type. These spirits are actually one of the more aggravating parts of the game, they're a lot like the UFOs in Touhou 12 except they won't go away even during bosses, they fly all over the screen and get in your way so during very dense attacks they're super distracting. Bullets often blend into the backgrounds, and both the spirits and your hyper shots get in the way too, so bullet visibility is a frequent problem. Overall though this is one of the more enjoyable Touhous as of late.
Also the general presentation might be the best in the series. I already commented on how much more imaginative the bullet patterns are this time, and the stage backgrounds are also pretty varied and more involved than ever, especially in the latter half.

So yeah the quality of the game is pretty strong but the gimmick is definitely intrusive, maybe even worse than UFO since it distracts you from the bosses' attacks. The way I play though I just collect the spirits indiscriminately to get them out of the way. I also use a patch which mitigates the bullet visibility issues a bit by making the hyper shots more transparent. In that way I've been able to enjoy the game a lot more, so that might work for you too if you dislike the gimmick.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago
GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago How's the game overall? It looked pretty neat from the demo but I'm not sure how I feel about how intrusive the gimmick is this time around. Still need to get used to the characters and music; I'm sure I'll come around when I get to actually playing it, though.
I'll copy what I wrote in the Games Beaten thread:
The more recent Touhous have been sort of underwhelming for me so I didn't go into this one with very high expectations, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. In terms of bullet patterns there's some imaginative stuff there, and the character designs are solid. Difficulty is not the highest - I'm not a great player and I can do Normal 1CC with plenty of lives to spare - but to be fair that's mostly due to the spirit system, where you go into a hyper mode after collecting at least three of the same spirit type. These spirits are actually one of the more aggravating parts of the game, they're a lot like the UFOs in Touhou 12 except they won't go away even during bosses, they fly all over the screen and get in your way so during very dense attacks they're super distracting. Bullets often blend into the backgrounds, and both the spirits and your hyper shots get in the way too, so bullet visibility is a frequent problem. Overall though this is one of the more enjoyable Touhous as of late.
Also the general presentation might be the best in the series. I already commented on how much more imaginative the bullet patterns are this time, and the stage backgrounds are also pretty varied and more involved than ever, especially in the latter half.

So yeah the quality of the game is pretty strong but the gimmick is definitely intrusive, maybe even worse than UFO since it distracts you from the bosses' attacks. The way I play though I just collect the spirits indiscriminately to get them out of the way. I also use a patch which mitigates the bullet visibility issues a bit by making the hyper shots more transparent. In that way I've been able to enjoy the game a lot more, so that might work for you too if you dislike the gimmick.
Thanks for the write-up! Really good to know about that transparency patch; I'll look into it. I think I'm gonna skip ahead to playing this one and go back to 12-16 when I'm done since this is the first time a new game has been released when I've been actively following the series. Good to know it's on the better end!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Started up Ys VIII on the Switch last night. Definitely a different experience from the older styles of gameplay I'm used to from the series, but it's still fun, and that's all that really matters.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished off Doom 2016 today. Had lots of fun, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the sequel when that comes out!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Beat Touhou 17 for the first time today (with continues)! Some first impressions below:
Positives
+ Visually, it's probably one of the best in the series. The backgrounds are more detailed than usual.
+ The setting was also very unique. Each stage had it's own sort of charm, especially in the latter half of the game. I was worried that the "hell" theme would get old, but the environments and atmosphere were top notch and felt logical in their progression.
+ The music is pretty cool, with a variety of instruments that I don't usually hear from ZUN. The stage themes really shined in my opinion, which is not something I usually think of when it comes to Touhou.
+ No real difficulty spike. It's on the easier side overall, but the difficulty scales nicely.
+ Seriously, stages 4-6 are a blast.
+ The story is a bit more involved, which is cool. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's darker than usual or anything, but I think it certainly is more prominent this time around.

Negatives
- Complaints about bullet visibility are valid. Sometimes I can't even tell what I died to, which is frustrating.
- The characters are kinda hit-or-miss for me. I really like everything going on in stages 4-6, but stages 1-3 were less memorable in comparison.
- The different shot types between characters don't seem that different this time around. It feels like there's a core "set", and each shot type just modifies one aspect to make it better rather than having the "set" be totally different like in past games. Perhaps this is more apparent in Marisa since that's who I play as compared to the others who I haven't tried yet, but even she had more variety before.

Neutral
* Sometimes bullet patterns can feel a bit too similar to each other, like there's more repetition than usual. Stage 3 really comes to mind here. However, there are a lot of imaginative patterns as well, especially in stages 5 and 6.
* The animal spirit gimmick is... there. It's either really intrusive (if you get three of the same color) or passive (if you just get random ones). It's like a weird combo of UFO and PCB's gimmicks. The most you'll notice it is when your life and bomb pickups need to be activated by collecting them with other spirits before you can actually claim them.
Had fun with it overall! Now I just have to 1cc it!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote: 4 years agoStarted up Ys VIII on the Switch last night. Definitely a different experience from the older styles of gameplay I'm used to from the series, but it's still fun, and that's all that really matters.
It's definitely different but I don't think it's different in a bad way at all. Unfortunate that the pc port was fumbled so badly though. The story is a bit unique even compared to some of the other Ys games.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, I've only played about half of the remakes or new ones they've done (I & II, Oath, and Origin), so this is my first one in the new style (VII, Celecta, and VIII) here. Definitely liking it even if I'm not used to having a party. Thanks to the main character always being more about adventure than JRPGing it up, you don't have to worry about a silly romance plot and can just enjoy the exploration and combat.

Game gets a bit too thick with one or the other at times, but they're finding a better balance as the game goes on. Already up to Chapter 5 now about twenty hours in, so it's definitely clicking with me. Just enjoying it even if Ys 8 doesn't exactly set the world on fire or anything.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Anyone else play Mighty Gunvolt Burst?

It's pretty fun if you play it like an average Megaman game. But the game obviously is designed with more than just Megaman in mind. It's a bit difficult to grasp those other mechanics, though. It seems to be score-oriented similar to Azure Striker Gunvolt, with detailed score breakdowns and rank system. The customizing system is interesting, but it seems to go way beyond the amount you would really need to keep up with the game difficulty. The biggest oddity is the burst system, which requires you to get close to enemies for the final shots, and if you defeat something without getting close, your burst combo resets. It feels like this last item doesn't work together that smoothly with other parts of the game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to Volt's Cave in the Future in Tales of Phantasia (PS版)

Dhaos' two battles are too hard. Kind of the low point, what with the "I can just ignore damage entirely at random" bullshit. It felt really unfair. Felt nice to be able to grind again in preparation for what comes afterward. I'm assuming Chester's levels won't be an issue considering he jumps straight to ~455 STR with the Composite Bow equipped but he ended up reaching the mid to late 20s so oops

Also I appreciate the idiocy of the characters with the whole "not realizing Dhaos is trying to get rid of magitechnology" thing going on, they don't even ask him for reasons and just hand wave it as "oh he wants to destroy humanity how Dare you wonder what his reasoning is Arche you're so disrespectful to those who have died" like were you born yesterday my good fuckos???

This game is good but the writing is kinda bad
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

still Tales of Phantasia. Got Volt and Aska, played a bit of the Arche shmup minigame (shmups~♥) and got a few spellbooks! Tempest, Maelstrom, Earthquake, God's Breath. Bought a Laser Sword, got the Elven Bow, the Star Broom and the Seven Books of Hsan. Also started the sidequest for Suzu's parents.

Gonna do the Tower of Flames and the Cave of Ice soon.
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finally got around to playing Nioh which I bought and installed like 2 months ago. I just finished the first "real" boss after the prologue. Still not entirely sure I understand the mechanics of the game. It's an obvious soulslike game, but they've added their own unique twist to make combat different to the point that I'm not automatically good at it. It also took me a good while to figure out that heavier armor does actually have an effect compared to light armor. In Dark Souls there was 3 levels of rolling that just had an equip weight percentage threshold to determine which one you were in, but here it seems like it's like a whole spectrum that affects your overall agility. I think heavier armor makes you run slower, regen stamina slower, and dodge slower. Or something like that. All I know is I was getting my ass kicked by the first boss before I finally equipped some lighter armor at which point things got way easier.

There's also this stance system, where you can switch between a high/mid/low stance with a different moveset and I guess some are better for offense and some for defense. But I don't really understand a good way to utilize that mechanic so I basically just always stay in mid stance.

It's also not open world like the Souls games. From what I've seen so far, the game is split into a bunch of individual missions which are just maps where you run from point A to point B. Not sure how I feel about that so far but I guess there will be less running around not knowing what to do.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Bought the Mighty Switch Force Collection on the Switch in preparation for River City Girls. Beat every game except for the remastered port of the original. They were just as fun as I remembered (it's been a while since I played them; probably not since they came out originally)! Hoping I'm able to pick up a copy of the River City Girls CE when it drops on Friday. I guess I'm on a WayForward kick!?

I also finally completed my 1cc of Touhou 17! Honestly not that bad; did it my first try after taking a break for a few days. I still think that stages 4-6 are some of my favorites in the series so far. The presentation and transitions to each one are great, along with the bosses and even the story twists. Keiki's also not too bad of a final boss other than her final attack. Had some fun with that, now I'm back to playing the rest of the series in order! Gonna start on 12 pretty soon.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Tales of Phantasia. This game has Problems.

A lot of bosses are just summarized to "find a way to stunlock them, rinse repeat. oh they came out of stunlock? well fuck you" and the final bosses are the worst case of it. The former is Manual mode only. Writing is very amateur, difficulty and pacing is off. Like you have normal difficulty curve at one point, then a sudden difficulty spike.

Other times you have to like grind for Flame Charms or Basilisk Scales or Derris Emblems (or get the latter from chests like a sane human being) to progress through the game.

Suzu is also completely pointless, she joins late, has like barely any equipment and has awful stats. Yuffie and Vincent did it right, Gogo and Umaro did it right, Suzu is just "yeah we made this npc playable how's that 8-)" like okay you might as well not put her in????

Mid to late game dungeon design also felt very phoned in? I get that it's Wolf Team's first RPG but it's just an endless series of weird-ass halls, pointless "puzzles", sectioned out areas and doors that go nowhere. And if you're playing the SNES version it's even worse since running away from battles increases your encounter rate.

On to the positives, the music is really good, graphics are stunning, especially in the PS1 version, all the towns feel different, character interactions in the skits are really good, Arche is queen, the early to mid game was pretty fun.

Overall it's a pretty decent game that could be a lot better if they just toned down the difficulty and didn't phone in a lot of the late game.
I really wanted to say this game is borderline perfect, but the Future portion just threw that out the window.

EDIT: Edited to be a bit less harsh on the game.
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Finally got around to playing Nioh which I bought and installed like 2 months ago. I just finished the first "real" boss after the prologue. Still not entirely sure I understand the mechanics of the game. It's an obvious soulslike game, but they've added their own unique twist to make combat different to the point that I'm not automatically good at it. It also took me a good while to figure out that heavier armor does actually have an effect compared to light armor. In Dark Souls there was 3 levels of rolling that just had an equip weight percentage threshold to determine which one you were in, but here it seems like it's like a whole spectrum that affects your overall agility. I think heavier armor makes you run slower, regen stamina slower, and dodge slower. Or something like that. All I know is I was getting my ass kicked by the first boss before I finally equipped some lighter armor at which point things got way easier.

There's also this stance system, where you can switch between a high/mid/low stance with a different moveset and I guess some are better for offense and some for defense. But I don't really understand a good way to utilize that mechanic so I basically just always stay in mid stance.

It's also not open world like the Souls games. From what I've seen so far, the game is split into a bunch of individual missions which are just maps where you run from point A to point B. Not sure how I feel about that so far but I guess there will be less running around not knowing what to do.
Weight percentages also effects abilities that you can earn later in certain skill trees, but I don't know the exact details of them, only knowing that lighter is more of the shinobi focus of the build. However, there is merit on wearing heavier armor, mainly losing less stamina when blocking and when hit.

The Stance system basically is down to having stronger but slower and more stamina consuming attacks for High Stance, middle of the line speed and damage, as well as more defensive options for Middle stance, and faster but weaker, and more dodge options for Low stance. Finding the balance of DPS as well as stamina management is the key of the stance system, especially against Youkai enemies, but I generally go for Middle or Low stance against Human or Humanoid enemies.

The area being segmented by missions is a hit-or-miss for me, since the open world style map in Souls lets out for exploration on your own pace, which I like, but at least the missions have at least a goal as it's focus, and finishing it allows you to explore without fear of enemies if your reach that goal, outside of the end of boss fights since it locks you in a separate area.

Nioh is a faster pace than some of the Souls games, since the punishment of getting hit (even when blocking) at low stamina, which is a long stun, is greater here, so there is more merit in dodging instead. That's why I went with the Shinobi-style build first and try to never fight fair, like using the bow and rifle just to kill troublesome enemies, but in the end, went to a Shinobi-Samurai style mix, since most bosses near the end don't care about my ninja tactics, and sometimes brute force is the way.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Still working through Ys VIII right now and getting close to the end. Game has a lot of fun moments that are only brought down in places by overkill either on plot in an early chapter and all the fighting heavy side quests it crams in right before this final stretch run. Glad I'm playing this on the Switch and not the PS4 because the OCD would kick in on trying to 100% this one for trophchievements instead of just enjoying the ride like I have been for the most part. Dang good game.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

jayScribble wrote: 4 years agoNioh stuff
I don't mind having to rely on dodging instead of blocking cause I've had to do that for Bloodborne, and I barely ever use the block cause it seems blocking even the lightest attack will reduce 90% of your stamina. But I'm still having trouble figuring out how the flow of combat is intended to work. It seems as if the dodge gives you some i-frames, but enemies move so fast that it's hard to tell if you can punish after you dodged an attack or if they're just gonna do a follow up and hit you. The other thing is that once a combo animation ends you just can't immediately attack again even though you have more stamina. So it's pretty annoying pressing the attack button when you have stamina and you just don't attack. Or maybe it doesn't have input buffering like the Souls games? I don't know what it is but I'm really having trouble dealing with basic enemies in this game.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay. Just beat Dhaos legit in Tales of Phantasia and what I've come to is that Manual mode isn't very good for this game hahaha.

oops
Image Image
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I don't mind having to rely on dodging instead of blocking cause I've had to do that for Bloodborne, and I barely ever use the block cause it seems blocking even the lightest attack will reduce 90% of your stamina. But I'm still having trouble figuring out how the flow of combat is intended to work. It seems as if the dodge gives you some i-frames, but enemies move so fast that it's hard to tell if you can punish after you dodged an attack or if they're just gonna do a follow up and hit you. The other thing is that once a combo animation ends you just can't immediately attack again even though you have more stamina. So it's pretty annoying pressing the attack button when you have stamina and you just don't attack. Or maybe it doesn't have input buffering like the Souls games? I don't know what it is but I'm really having trouble dealing with basic enemies in this game.
If you're having trouble with the speed of the enemy and their attacks, the Sloth Talismans in the Onmyoji/Magic skill tree might help you, which people often call it "easy mode" due to slowing down the animations and attacks of enemies hit by it. If you don't care as much about toning down tie difficulty of enemies just to beat the level, investing in Sloth is the main way to go. Going for bows, rifles, and hand cannons to defeat enemies is also another good investment, so if you see the enemy but they can't see you, you can shoot them safely.

Like the Souls game, it's a learning experience for enemies and their attacks, and stamina management for stances, but I feel like this game has a higher learning curve due to being fast paced and more punishing. I remember struggling a lot, especially against Youkai enemies, and for the wrong reasons. The human enemies I at least eventually learn how both to parry and riposte (which are skills under the Katana skill tree), as well as drain their stamina when their blocking using attacks and kicks, and punish them there, but human bosses are still a pain to fight.

And about your problem with not attacking while still having stamina: from what I remember from the last time I played, there is no input buffering. I might be wrong, but it's something you can at least try out in the dojo and not during a mission.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

There's parrying in this game?! Well I'll definitely have to invest in that then, though i don't know why that would be under a skill tree.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

depressed so i played like chapter 1 and half of chapter 2 of popolocrois (this chapter takes forever)
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Day 12 of Digimon World (in game not real time) and I've recruited the following:
Agumon
Palmon
Kunemon
Coelamon
Betamon
Centarumon
Meramon
Unimon
Biyomon
Patamon
Elecmon
Sukamon
Bakemon
Monochromon
Prosperity Rate is at 20. Current Digimon is Centarumon (was trying to get a Tyrannomon).

Last playthrough I had a Tyrannomon and deleted the save when I locked myself out of getting a Leomon after getting an Elecmon as my second rookie (got Bakemon). I was having a shitty day orz, made more progress today though.

I wish this game had the ability to save to multiple files like Square's RPGs.
Image Image