(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

I thought A Hat in Time was just going to be this funny little Super Mario Sunshine knockoff, and while it's clear that's what a lot of the game's platforming was inspired by, I love how they've mixed things up. The murder mystery level stood out, and they even made me begrudgingly like a play it straight haunted level, probably because it was toned down in size and scope.

That said, The Windmill is some of the best pure platforming I've had in a 3D game since Super Mario Odyssey. I'm at 34/40 of the Time Pieces and should finish the game up either tonight or tomorrow. Just have a few missions left in Chapter 3 and then what I'd expect is the final boss. Feels like this could've been bigger, but I'm also glad it's not going to overstay its welcome. It's one of those games that has its flaws (frame rate hiccups, load times for the Switch version) but charms itself out of them by actually playing well once things are rolling. It's not perfect, but it's really good.

And that also let me watch raocow's LP in spots and finally understand what the heck :catcrime: is all about.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finally getting around to playing my first game this year. Back on Black Friday there were some elusive first party Nintendo game sales, and I picked up Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. But I was distracted with other games, so they've sat unopened on my shelf since then. But no longer -- I have finally cracked into Link's Awakening, and put a few hours in. I've been having a pretty good time so far. I had previously played the original (or maybe it was DX?) on 3DS Virtual Console, but that was so long ago I remember almost nothing about the game at this point. I just finished the second dungeon, but I've been kinda taking my time exploring and stumbling across heart pieces.

Framerate is not impressing me though! I was pretty horrified when I stepped out of Marin and Tarin's house and immediately watched the framerate tank. Like, of any scene to make sure is running well in the entire game, maybe the very first one where the player is in control in the overworld would be a good one to do. And it's a running issue in seemingly most of the overworld. They were clearly aiming for 60fps but couldn't hit it, and the end result looks pretty rough. And it's weird because Mario Odyssey somehow maintains 60fps and I'd say that game looks much more intensive than anything going on here. Also, on the topic of visuals, the tilt-shift effect with the top and bottom of the screen blurred looks decent for a trailer, but when you're actually trying to play the game it's just annoying. Why can't I see stuff at the top and bottom of the screen? The effect is not impressive-looking enough for the gameplay tradeoff. At least add an option to disable it.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.
How does the PSX version compare to the Dawn of Souls port for GBA or PSP?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

I've been playing an indie shmup game called Danmakai recently. I just 1cc'd it on normal today; it's really fun and, while clearly taking inspiration from Touhou (it takes place in Makai, I mean come on lol), it's really charming on its own. I would say it's a bit harder than Touhou overall, since it took me longer to 1cc this than it did most Touhou games, though I might just be rusty lmao. It has a "rank" system where, even on lower difficulties, the better you do, the harder the game becomes. The difficulties have a range because of this; normal, for instance, goes from 4-10 depending on how well you're doing.
The final boss also might be one of my favorite shmup final bosses. She's also like 70% of the game's difficulty. She has a spell called "Glasya-Labolas" that's super fun. There's also a few completely new spells for the bosses if you're one of those guys that plays on Lunatic. The game as a whole has some fun references to even the PC-98 Touhou games which is cool to see. I'm working on the extra stage on and off. It doesn't seem TOO bad, but definitely pushing my skill limits lmao. Give it a shot if you like the genre, but if you're new it might be a bit hard!!
Last edited by GenesisJames 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Grinding a few levels before moving on to the Earth Cave in Final Fantasy I PSX.
How does the PSX version compare to the Dawn of Souls port for GBA or PSP?
It's a mix of the GBA (improved graphics) and NES versions (Vancian magic, oldschool difficulty) with Boss HP levels also between those two. It also has an Easy mode if you want a less limiting version of the Vancian Magic system and faster level ups. I'm using the normal difficulty though. It's okay, but I honestly don't like the translation, being too used to the GBA standardization and the NES' surprisingly decent attempt respectively. Pravoca? Fuck that shit.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it past Marilith in Final Fantasy I, but Ice Cavern seems far harder than the NES version, so I'm gonna grind an extra five levels. It's a bit of a headache, so I grinded one level for now and will do a bit more on the Peninsula of Power later. Honestly not really enjoying the extra amount of difficulty? I dunno, it feels harder than NES.

Anyway yesterday I was doing art study on SAI (might purchase Clip Studio Paint sometime tbh) with some furry art, and I got mad tired (during the tracing portion no less, that's sad. i always do a trace first to study why lines are laid out as well as shapes, then try to recreate with my own skill by using the colorless trace and original pic as references and a blank canvas). I felt like playing some video games and I honestly was pondering booting up the Windows version of Legend of Heroes III but I'm a bit anal about progressing on the english PSP version first, and starting another game, well, I was worried about starting yet another videogame on top of all the ones I had and it was just kinda stressful, that I ended up falling asleep out of tiredness for the night, only slept like 6 hours before this so.

But anyway after a bit of FF1 this morning, I downloaded Summon Night through PKGj and I've made it past the prologue chapter (mostly exposition and one battle against two bandit mooks meant to represent Edos and Gazel). Picked Hayato as my protag, you may have seen him in Swordcraft Story during the volcano area portion, but I think it depends on which summon you have as your partner, I went with Pratty as my protag, with Sugar as my partner for Lesbian% but I think I got Hayato? Or Aya or Natsumi, not sure. Definitely not Touya. SN1 is particular amongst Summon Night games in that instead of having a male and female protagonist to choose from, you have two of each from which you can pick one. It's silly. If I played my cards right in the prologue options, I might get Kir as my partner?

Pretty sure fans of SamoNai like to ship Kir x Hayato lol. Sadly I don't think there is a gay route in either the PSX or DS versions, but one of the Black/Matrix games, also by Flight Plan, does have a secret gay route added especially for yaoi fangirls. I'm more of a bara dude, but respectable queer rep is always a plus, not that I know if B/M's rep is positive or not, haven't played the trilogy yet.
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, updates-ish?
-Finished all but one crown in What The Golf?. Also finished both side campaigns (Sporty Sports and It's Snowtime!). Problem is, that crown is the worst: It's the save the crab friends in Lab 02. It requires being both fast and precise on the mouse, and that basically runs face first into my disability. I might try to get my friend to get the last crown for me or something.
-Hypnospace Outlaw, I'm on Day "2" (November 26). It's very weird and fun, though sometimes I feel like I'm running in circles in the game trying to find what I'm supposed to. (Also, Gumshoe Gooper sucks!)
-Bully, I'm still in Chapter 1. I want to clear as much of the preliminary classes as possible, so I don't have to worry about them later (think of it in GTA3 terms). Problem is, the motion controls get super finicky on two classes (Music and Biology). Biology less so, but Music is kind of a pain in the ass with guessing the precise point to move the controller.

Hollow Knight I poked at a little bit, but with What the Golf? all but out of the picture, I'll be moving to that next.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Been playing two big games recently: Cyberpunk 2077 and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. Initial thoughts below!

Cyberpunk's an interesting case. I'm having fun with it so far, and I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people are saying it is, though I'm playing on PC and am aware that it... really shouldn'ty have been released on consoles at all. At least not until the PS5 and New Xbox™. It IS glitchy, but I haven't had any game-breaking bugs. It DID crash on me a few times though, but weirdly it was only in one part of the map on one particular mission, so once I went a different way there were no problems at all. As for the game itself, I SUCK at FPS games, so maybe it's just me, but I find the game sorta difficult even on normal mode, but I'm powering through since I refuse to play on easy lmao. Sniper rifles are my favorite weapons, so once I figured out how to aim down the scope (Right click! Who Knew?), it's been much smoother sailing. Voice acting is solid, game looks beautiful so far, and I really like the established world and lore. The game controls well aside from driving; you get used to it, but it's awkward. The world itself is HUGE and I get a bit overwhelmed with so much stuff all at once, but it has a bit of GTA syndrome where a lot of stuff isn't really interactable. The main story itself is pretty interesting, but I'm not far enough in to really have an opinion on it yet. There's some patches coming up in late January and February that apparently fix a lot of things, so if you're still unsure about getting it, maybe hold off until then so you make sure you're playing it when it's really polished (should've been from the start, but oh well). Judy is also my wife.

I've been having a lot of fun with Yakuza: Like A Dragon. If you follow the series, you know that this one deviates from the formula a bit, turning the brawler/beat-em-up gameplay into an RPG. It's a pretty interactable RPG though, as your environment really affects your strategies at times. It seems like a weird hybrid of Octopath Traveler and Yakuza mechanics; it's more natural than you'd think. The characters are super fun as always and the story (up to where I am so far, at least) seems to be up to par with RGG's modern Yakuza stories. It's a bit more exaggerated/over the top since it comes with RPG elements, but the series isn't always the most realistic thing, so it's not really a big deal. The only thing I'm kinda underwhelmed with so far is the music. It's not bad by any means, but there really hasn't been a standout track so far,which in the other games, I'd have like at least five by now, haha. I might just have to get used to it, though. Any fan of the series should definitely check it out; it's a lot deeper than it looks.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Coming up on Olivia's Grand Trial in Pokémon Ultra Sun. I'm... actually starting to get annoyed with the Ultra Rotomdex talking at me basically once every 90 seconds. Probably the most annoying thing about the Ultra Rotomdex is that they prompts me to save as an occasional reminder... except that it's based on elapsed real-time between saves and not game time (meaning I'll save, close the 3ds, come back a couple hours later, open back up, and have Ultra Rotomdex tell me I should save again). Though Roto-Loto is neat and occasionally getting a second shot at Z-Moves is... kind of frighteningly powerful, I'd rather not have Omochao.

I'm getting (marginally) better at Super Mario 35 - I got to the Top 5 without really noticing this morning, and finished 3rd. I'm going to miss this game in April.

I'm still plugging away at Link's Awakening NX. I'm halfway through Eagle's Tower right now (oy that midboss is far more frustrating now than in the original, which I suppose is an improvement since he's a cakewalk without one very specific change to the fight), and at 29 secret seashells.

are there seriously fifty secret seashells now what the hell
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Yeeeep. And what's funny is

you don't get the Koholint Sword with all 50, that's a lower-ranked prize

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat A Hat in Time last week, so I'm keeping the platforming trend going now by moving right on to Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Way too early for me to make any critiques on it. I just literally got through the first mission, but it's definitely going to be more of a Metroid-style game than Half Genie Hero was.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I got the final crown in What The Golf?! Good lord, that was a pain in the ass. I had to switch between controller and mouse to get it done, but it is done.

I have reached the final act of Hypnospace Outlaw, i.e.

the present day

. I like the weirdness of it all, though I'm unsure whether I want to engage in the big thing (i.e.,

find every single missing Hypnospace page

) because that does seem like a lot of toil. I might just aim to finish the game (which seems to be

expose Dylan and Merchantsoft

), but even there I'm blanking out on what to do...
m1nx is where I will find answers, allseeing3y3 plays a role in that. However, I'm not sure of the password situation. I actually pulled in an internal hint guide, and even there I didn't get a straight answer. Supposedly Tim might be a clue, but my understanding is he never got into m1nx and the whole raison d'être for his hacking was to impress them and Tiffany. So I don't think he's the way forward.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

After 101 days I have made it to the final boss in Ring Fit Adventure. What a ride! Unfortunately the boss will take me about an hour of exercise so I won't be able to reasonably beat it before work in the morning. So I guess I'm beating that game on Saturday!

In Disgaea 5 Complete I have started playing the postgame. Those are some massive level jumps! I bet if you play more Disgaea games you get used to it.

I've also started playing 3000th Duel, which is basically a 2D Dark Souls/Hollow Knight copy, just not as interesting since it's very linear. After beating 4 bosses my strategy of only ever putting level-up points into attack power is starting to backfire as every enemy I come across can one-shot me. Such is life, I suppose!
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I just went through the N Sane Trilogy and the first third was torture, the second third I had stockholm syndrome and I think the last I actually enjoyed. Now idk what I'm gonna play whether it's another retro collectathon style game like the Spyro Trilogy or something completely different. My backlog is huge for games I've yet to even start up so I've probably got a bit of everything and too many options is a problem
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I've rescued Luigi in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It's a surprisingly fun game so far.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I've still been poking away at Link's Awakening, getting pretty close to the end. I believe I'm right before the final boss so I decided to do some cleanup before capping the game off. I was actually impressed with myself, I managed to find all heart pieces/containers except for 1 by the end of the game (and the last one ended up being an early-game cave I never went back to, so really should have been obvious). And I found all but 3 seashells I think. I also got stuck at 49/50 seashells and did the classic Zelda game of looking through a guide of all the seashells in the game 1-by-1, trying to figure out which one I missed, and got stuck for like an hour checking any place that may have not looked familiar to find which seashell I missed. But surprisingly they added essentially a checklist into this game with a map of all the locations you've found collectibles, so you can just look up a completed map and cross-reference to see which ones you're missing. I didn't know this until I finally saw someone mention it on a random forum in my Googling. And it turned out the one I was missing was just a stupid fishing one. I'm not even sure which task I hadn't done, cause I had spent a decent amount of time fishing for the other rewards for that game, but apparently never got the second seashell. I waltzed over to the pond, caught the first blooper I saw, and it gave it to me. Guides were saying you get 1 for a blooper and 1 for a cheep-cheep, but I had already caught a blooper earlier and didn't get a shell for it, so I think maybe the internet hasn't figure out the actual way fishing rewards are doled out.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got through a couple more chapters in Shantae and the Seven Sirens today. Doubt I'll go for 100% in it, but I know I'm going to be sticking around until the end. Just like with most Metroid-esque games, this gets more fun when you get a few of the powers to just cruise through areas. Honestly, it's right there with the last two where the game's pretty fun without being spectacular or anything.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts III in Critical difficulty, mostly in preparation for when I finally give the DLC a shot. Haven't played this in 2 years so I'm pretty rusty. So far it's no joke, and I appreciate having to take the combat more seriously, even going so far as making good use of meals which I'd otherwise ignored before. I'm having a pretty decent time though. The game definitely didn't live up to the 13 year long wait, but it's fun enough. The story, though, is even more embarassing now that the excitement from the first playthrough is long gone, and the pacing of the cutscenes in particular is so painfully slow.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd the other day! In short, it's my favorite Trails game and extending to the Gagharv trilogy, which I haven't finished yet, it's my favorite Legend of Heroes game. Rare thing to say, I know. Seems like a lot of people hate the 3rd or like it but like SC more.

Then I jumped into Zero no Kiseki. It's cool seeing the game that first added a lot of mechanics that return in Cold Steel. Mechanics wise, Zero and Ao seems like a bridge between Sky and Cold Steel. I plowed through the prologue, which is a bit unusual for me and Trails. I'm going to have to get used to the more "cozy" layout of the game as it was designed for PSP, not PC so everything is much bigger than it would have been otherwise.

Oh also, I started my first Rune Factory, Tides of Destiny/Oceans on PS3. I;ve been liking it so far, though I have barely played it. It's a bit different from what I normally play, but it's a nice balance between the complete farming sim games like harvest moon and full-on JRPGs.

EDIT: Also, finished Yakuza 3 on PS3. It was good, but not a favorite of mine. I like how awkward the US version makes the hostess dating, like Kiryu just shows up at some random fast food joint and a girl asks him on a date a couple times then he saves her from certain doom in typical Kiryu fasion and then they never see each other again. I plan on waiting for the Remasters of 4 and 5 since they will be released on Steam very soon, and hopefully cheaper than buying the PS3 versions, which I feel is almost a certainty for Yakuza 5 PS3 since it was digital only in the US.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Hades is fun. I'm probably bad at it but it's fun. Haven't played very much of it yet actually, only ever made it as far as

Theseus and the Minotaur

My favourite strategy thus far is to take the spear, load it up with extra damage like Doom and Hangover, and spam the throw. Particularly if I get some backstab bonuses too. Mmmm, cheesy.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off with Link's Awakening. I didn't go in super excited to play it, but I ended up having a pretty good time! It's pretty jam-packed considering it's almost entirely content from a tiny Gameboy game (I did play the original but it was like 10 years ago so I barely remember anything). It's got some neat ideas, though some of the new additions added in the Switch version are... ehh? Mainly referring to the dungeon designer stuff.

I figured for the sake of 100% I have to collect all the chamber stones and complete all of Dampe's challenges (though I didn't get the chamber stones unlocked with Amiibos cause I'm not buying toys just for completing this game. Though interestingly, the Wolf Link Amiibo I got with Twilight Princess HD did unlock one, so I used that).

The dungeon making is kind of a neat system to learn at first. It's not as open as what you'd probably want if you were expecting "Mario Maker but Zelda," but it doesn't exactly surprise me the way Nintendo implemented it. It's more of a puzzle to design the dungeons than something you'd create and have someone play for fun (that is an option in the freestyle mode, but I have no idea why anyone would want to do that). Dampe's challenges are the real meat of it, but after you finish the first 3 tiers of difficulty and it dumps a whole swathe of challenges on you that basically all amount to "fill out this board in the shape of a sprite," it gets SUPER repetitive SUPER fast. There's not a particularly huge set of rooms to choose from, so you start getting familiar with most of them pretty fast.

The puzzle of piecing a dungeon together with the supplied board is the real game here, so clearing it afterwards just feels like busywork. And I just wanted to get this thing done for completions sake, so it's not like I'm gonna throw a random boss at the end "for fun," I'm just gonna throw the fish boss there since he takes like 5 seconds to kill. The only one I found particularly difficult was one where the entire board except for the entrance and boss tiles need to have stairs shortcuts in them. That one had me stumped for a bit cause it leaves you with a pretty limited palette of rooms to choose from. But again, once I solved the board, I just ran through the thing, using a screenshot of the stair connections from the editor so I didn't have to waste even more time running through the rooms I've done 20 times each.

It doesn't emulate the feeling of a real Zelda dungeon, because you don't really get to customize anything other than where rooms are in relation to each other. You can't place enemies, or chests, or choose what's in chests. That stuff is all built into the rooms and the chests just automatically fill with keys or rupees based on what's needed to not get locked in. In fact, the editor doesn't even let you attempt the dungeon if you create a situation where a locked door doesn't have a chest before it so you can get a key to open it. And the last chest will always have the boss key, so it's just a game of opening every chest and then fighting the boss.

Anyway, I guess I mostly just had stuff to say on the dungeon maker cause it's the only real new thing, and it also encompassed several hours at the end of my playthrough because it takes so long. It's not a super fun thing to do, and it would probably put me off of doing a true 100% again after this. The base game other than that is good, that's nothing new because it's Link's Awakening as it was before. And I guess it's worth mentioning again that the framerate is pretty bad, mainly in the outdoors areas. But that's a lot of the game, so... A lot of the game runs stuttery which is pretty pathetic for a game designed specifically for the only console it can be played on.

Still, don't want to end on a negative note. It's pretty fun, and you'll enjoy it if you like Zelda games. Just maybe skip out on fully completing the dungeon maker stuff if you can stand having unfinished stuff in your file. Do up to the 3-shovel level of difficulty, I think all the important rewards stop there.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

I've done it. I've killed Jonathan Exercise himself. Now I'm the new Jonathan Exercise in Ring Fit Adventure. Time to keep playing!
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Enjl wrote: 3 years ago I've done it. I've killed Jonathan Exercise himself. Now I'm the new Jonathan Exercise in Ring Fit Adventure. Time to keep playing!
Were it not for my rotator cuff/shoulder/something, I'd be somewhere along the way :(

I finished Hypnospace Outlaw. It had been a while since I felt something for a game's ending. It's such a sad way to end the story. Granted, justice was served, but so much damage was done.

And the way Dylan just accepted his fate...it's tragic, in a way, though he very much deserved justice

Due to Game Pass being garbage, I allowed myself a spin on Indivisible for an hour or so before it leaves next week. The unfortunate irony is that this game was originally what was supposed to come next in my backlog from the subscription reserve, but I know I do not have enough time to finish it (it's like, what, 30+ hours?). Had Microsoft actually announced what was leaving earlier in the month, I would've done this instead of Hypnospace Outlaw beforehand.

So far, impressions are...hmm. For what it's worth, I'm running on an hour of sleep at present, so take that into account. I really like the animation and design. The story's weird and interesting, and I like the whole element of the inner realm being where characters hang out in Ajna's head. While I'm fond of the Valkyrie Profile fighting mechanics, I'm a little annoyed at blocking, because I'm always fumbling to get the right person to block, and there's no clear timing/indicator of when the enemies begin to attack, which makes setting up a rhythm of fighting difficult. Also...Ajna's voice actress, she does all right, but her attempt at a Hindustani accent is so half-hearted, Hari Kondabolu could do a whole YouTube video about it. It makes me wish she didn't do it.

Going to attempt alternating between Hollow Knight, Bully, and Bioshock 2 over the next couple weeks. That said, got some writing to do...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

indivisible took me less than 20 hours to 100% fwiw
i've honestly never played a video game in my life