(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Played the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo! I like how its just the reactor, nice parallel to the original demos from 96/97. The game play feels a lot like a KH or Mana game mixed with FF, I really like it. Overall really flashy and good game, looking forward to the first episode!

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago I'm playing Touhou 15: Lunatic of Lunatic Klownpeace. I found a bug while playing this game. It is wrong to say "Normal" in the upper right corner of the screen. It should be fixed with "HELL". How much beer did ZUN drink when he made this game?
He was literally inspired by IWBTG and similar games so. Source.

<Interviewer> In the omake text, you mentioned I Wanna Be The Guy as an example of a game that had unreasonably high difficulty but where you could immediately revive and keep retrying.
<ZUN> There are a lot of those types of games now - I get the feeling that they've become their own genre. But I never saw a game where they explained dying and reviving many times - the re-challenge system - as part of the story, so I wanted to take that challenge.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Played through the visual novel Heart of the Woods. It's well-written and fairly engaging for a visual novel that has a whopping three total choices in it. Has a fairly interesting plot and interesting characters. It's a paranormal mystery story with a fair amount of (lesbian) romance subplot. It's pretty rare for a story to cause me the sort of anxiety that this one did at times. (Which is a compliment to be clear.)
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Boy howdy the Data fights in KH3 are difficult
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Found out Shenmue I & II will be "leaving" Xbox Game Pass in about a week or so. I need to start playing Shenmue II now before that happens. Which I did, much to my dismay.

Good lord is Ryo a fucking moron. I've traveled internationally a few times...I didn't let myself get scammed by thieves on my first go-around. Might just guide run through this just so I can finish before it leaves
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started Murder by Numbers which is billed as "Ace Attorney x Picross" and it is exactly that. it's very enjoyable thus far.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it past みずと ともに いきる (Living with Water) and クッパじょう べっそう (Bowser's Castle - Vacation Home) in VIP and Wall Mix. Currently in ( ^ω^) スイス~イ (( ^ω^) Smooooth~).

Difficulty is picking up to the JP romhack standard but, I made it to the midpoint of Smooth without tools so... Maybe this won't be too hard.
Man I wish crusty jank-filled hacks like this were more common again :c

So far my favorite stages are おばけやしきと おやだまテレサ (Don Boo and the Ghost House) and ほしぞらのアスレチック (Starry Sky Athletic).
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

After beating Super Robot Wars: Original Generation 2, I decided to go back and play the classic timeline games that were translated, other than SRW1. So I start SRW2, get halfway through, and a hit a difficulty wall (it's really just that the boss is super powerful and can double almost all of my units, I'm kinda glad doubling was removed from later games) so I decided to give up for now and move to SRW3. I'm a little less than halfway, hoping to get the route that's locked behind turn count to get Ending 3. Seems like I'm on track to getting it thankfully.
So far SRW3 has been pretty okay. It is a massive improvement over SRW2 but is still lacking some features that later games have, such as per-unit enemy phase commands, along with changing what attack your characters use on enemy phase. Also, the Spirit/Seishin system is still a little rough, most Spirits cost way too much for how much SP each character has, and some spirits have their effects changed in later entries. The graphics aren't that impressive either, but whatever. It's an early SNES game.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

it's here

so far - it's good
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Guess I'm not Fire Emblem'd out yet because I started up Birthright on the 3DS this week. There's arguably more going on in these maps than there were with Three Houses, but that doesn't always mean they're good. Also, there is a plot that is there. Yep.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Yeah, Fates is not good. It doesn't get better really, it just manages to get worse, somehow. I haven't played Conquest which I hear has the best map design but that'd mean suffering through another garbage plotline that Fates has.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Started streaming the new Ori game yesterday, and boy the new combat system is much more interesting than in the first game and there's much more to do, at least I think so for now.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat No More Heroes last night
It was great fun
Henry Cooldown was a great fight
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I'm also playing the new Ori game, and so far, it's incredible. I agree, the new combat system is great and it's a lot of fun comboing the enemies to oblivion. I invested way too much time into the first Spirit Trial, I love speedrunning. Taking the game a bit slow but I unlocked a good number of abilities already, so I'm interested to see how the rest of the game unfolds.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished all the main missions of the DLC in Nioh.
I'm THINKING I'll finish off all the sub missions but it feels like at this point in the game everything is just "fight 10 waves of enemies" or "fight 2 bosses at once" which I can't say interests me all that much. I don't know, might move onto Yoshi's Crafted World which I got the other day since it was on sale and still haven't opened
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to 大仏でん (The Great Buddha Hall, aka 大イムでん as it's shown in-game) in VIP and Wall Mix 2, Baseball Mountain in JUMP, おばかやしき (Haunt-idiot Mansion) in Super Kitiku Mario* Demo 7 and ぶきみな らせんとう (Eerie Spiral Tower) in Mario X World Deluxe.

Of all of these, the weakest I'd say so far is Brutal. Sorry carol!!!!!!!!!! orz
That title's holder might be VIP2 in the future tho considering what I've heard!

I'm currently trying to get the secret exit in Pスイッチのつかいみち レターンズ ("The Many Uses of a P-Switch" Returns), hardest level in World 2 for sure, still pretty fun though! Baseball Mountain is a tough stage but I expected it to be worse considering Star World has outright Kaizo stages apparently. lolyoshi isn't any harder than mid to late VIP, I feel~

Mario X World DX is kind of the toughest though! I wonder how Deluxe fits into the canon of MXW considering both MXW 4th and 5th (demo at least) exist and Deluxe was released between both. Maybe a spinoff alongside Bowser's Strike Back? Or maybe the two are meant to be retcons for MXW1 and 4? I'm assuming 3 is non-canon due to being Comiket only, SIG's numbering is also fucked up like that so I wouldn't be surprised if Anikiti is the same. 2 is SER if that wasn't obvious.

Brutal is actually sort of boring me. Instead of a good rapid fire, short burst gimmick fest like SMB3 or Mischief Makers it kind of, doesn't do much but the bare basics and it suffers as a result. I have no problem with bosses being unrelated to the gimmick at hand or being survival fests but so far they fall flat. I don't judge too harshly, carol is an amateur game designer so he's just doing this for fun.

Here are my thoughts on the Brutal Mario bosses so far, as someone who is also inexperienced with boss design.
The Shy Guy is okay, it's a joke boss before the main event and managing the boos is a good idea. I'd probably make a custom boo sprite that aims for your lower half when small though so you can't just hold right and win when you're not big.

Lemmy has a good idea going, but some stuff about is kinda unrefined. Ball bouncing is too randomized; you don't bounce off when he's in the shell, it's just a hurtbox through and through; the jump arc is too wide... I'd probably also add some more attack patterns to go along with just spawning balls, or I could save it for the later worlds? Not sure.

Mecha Mario is another joke boss, not as effective this time I feel. I'd just scrap it.

Morton is a obstacle dodging cutscene. Considering how you're not damaging the enemy with no indicator to when it's progressing outside of a drop in the middle of the battle, the player doesn't get good enough response from the game. Speaking of which, the battle is an autoscroller, but instead of it just being a real autoscroller, the sprites are moving. This results in instances where if Mario jumps, he's too close to leaping off the skull raft.

A good idea I'd have is to make it so that the sprites are glued to the camera and the layer 1 moves. It'd probably be a bit awkward to get it to make the same effect but making sure Mario isn't tossed off the skull raft by inertia would be optimal. Secondly I'd make the dodging more complex, and have him blow himself up more than once (3 times), each time incrementing the amount of obstacles you have to dodge. Alternately, I would have it so that he blows himself up if you jump on his head while he's holding a bomb.

Mammon Machine isn't too bad a boss, but I'd place it earlier if it was kept unchanged. My idea for it would be it hiding behind a waterfall. From behind it, it'd attack with projectiles aimed at Mario, an AOE attack based on Point Flare, the laser from carol's version (probably edited to be faster or to be a small non damaging laser that causes flares to appear from the ground), and you'd damage it when it comes out periodically during attacks. You'd have an HP counter like the Seven Koopalings and with every attack it would go down. Once it reached a certain value, it'd release another AOE attack that would cover more screen than Point Flare and last longer.

Kaptain K. Rool is tough, he's kind of just ported directly from DKC2? I'd suggest remaking him from scratch or resizing him to fit Mario's hitbox.

Xan Bie is good enough.

Wendy, I'd probably scrap the whole thing. It's a very nothing boss.
* - aka Brutal Mario, Mario the Brute King (Mario the Tyrant?)
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I just realized my plan for 6 months of free Xbox Game Pass failed to take into account the other 3 months, so I guess I'm going to have to cut off on Shenmue II for now. I'm not sure I want to play it at this point, though.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Played through the first world of Yoshi's Crafted World. It's a very nice looking game, but so far it doesn't look to be making much of a change from what all the recent Yoshi sequels have been like. I will say the art style is really nice, but I'm not a fan of some of Yoshi's animations. He was so lively in Yoshi's Island, and now he just looks so lifeless. The "costumes" are also pretty dumb, cause at first I thought it would be like the Amiibo skins from Yoshi's Wooly World, or even like a ninja outfit or a pirate outfit, etc. But instead Yoshi holds a giant cardboard vehicle around himself like Fred Flinstone's car and it just looks stupid.

It also once again has music made out of toots and horns for some reason, and every track sounds the same as the last one. I don't know how the series that gave us great tracks like Hop Hop Donut Lifts somehow turned into what's seemingly going out of their way to make the music as bland and uninspired as possible.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's not fair to Woolly World's soundtrack. That one was bouncing, but yeah, Crafted World is kind of the Yoshi's Island DS to Woolly World's SNES game if you get my drift.

Hey, the gameplay in FE Fates: Birthright is still really good, and I enjoy the Japanese take on class changes for variety's sake. The story is still boring or dumb depending on what random plot point they introduce, so the game's kind of a wash. Doesn't help that many of these characters aren't standing out like some of Three Houses' or even Awakening's ones.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I kinda forgot about Wooly World's soundtrack (only played through that game once when it came out, and since it's on Wii U which is in a box in my basement it probably will never get played again unless they release a Switch port) but I quickly looked up the soundtrack and yeah, they definitely branched out with the instrumentation on that one.

But Crafted World is just a bunch of honks and toots and all the tracks sound pretty much identical. The only ones that stand out are the ones that sound particularly bad. Like, what the hell is this?

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

There's some things I'm really enjoying in Crafted World. For the first bit I was kinda ignoring the Poochy Pup flipside stages, but eventually I decided to go back and do all of them and there's some really fun stuff to find. I really love how you first go through the stage and there's all these crafted contraptions to represent larger-scale things -- that on its own is already great. But then you go to the flipside and you find out that a lot of the contraptions are operated by Shy Guys pulling strings to make things move and whatnot. That's such a great and unnecessary detail that they didn't need to do but they did anyway. There's also a handful of little easter eggs on pieces of cardboard you'll see, like ads for the cookies from Yoshi's Cookie.

There's also some really unique stages that stand out from the rest. I really liked the ninja hideout level where you have to find your way around by opening secret doors and hatches. And today I also played a haunted mansion level that had specially-designed zombie versions of some of the enemies that rose out of the ground, and the level itself also had some fun ideas to go with it too.

Oh, also the boss introductions look great. They drop the framerate as they're constructed so it looks like a very realistic stop-motion animation. I don't know how they made this but I wouldn't even be surprised if it's real pictures of a crafted version of the boss being constructed because it looks so real. The aesthetic of this game is really impressing me more than I expected. This obviously isn't Nintendo's first foray into crafted art styles, there's the entire Paper Mario series, Wooly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and probably others I'm forgetting. But I feel like they really went above and beyond with the vision for this game. They're just so incredibly consistent with keeping the craft theme; there's a lot of strict logic in place for how things work and I really appreciate that.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

SOMA is on sale for like $3 so I purchased that last week but didn't get around to playing it until now. I don't think I've ever played through a survival horror game before, but it seemed like this was a more story-driven psychological horror kind of game than the typical "haha jump scare" YouTuber-bait games that seem to be standard in the genre, and I had heard good things about it.

And yeah, I gotta say, I don't know the last time I was more immersed in a game's story than this! I ended up playing through the whole thing across 3 sittings (spanning a total of somewhere between 8 and 9 hours). There is a handful of sneak-around-a-dark-maze-while-a-creepy-twitchy-monster-chases-you segments, and those were probably my least favorite part of the game (sometimes I didn't even know how I was supposed to get past it unnoticed so I'd just run past it and let it chase me until I got away), but overall I loved the setting, themes, and overall dread of the game.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I'm now playing Touhou 7: Let's go see the perfect cherry blossoms on April! by ZUN suffering from spring fever in 2003.
東方妖々夢(Touhou Youyoumu) The songs in this game are just wonderful! Nothing to say..
I just defeated Junko, a girl from the living hell called Touhou 15. I won't play this hell again!!
OMG! 2022 deaths/retries....
Last edited by Jongseok 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago I just defeated Junko, a girl form the living hell called Touhou 15. I won't play this hell again!!
I'm glad you enjoyed my recommendation so much :lol:

Perfect Cherry Blossom has my favourite Touhou character, Chen! She's a lot easier to deal with than any of the Lunatics, though...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright last night. Good gameplay, poor story was pretty much how this one went all the way through. I really liked the maps, and I can't stress that enough. They made some fun areas to fight in like a riverside opera house, a mountain range, a volcano (keep in mind Three Houses was mostly all flat land areas), and so on, but there was never really any explanation other than the plot saying we were here now, go fight.

So yeah. If only the narrative was as strong as the core gameplay. Also glad I didn't play this one on Classic mode because I would've lost half my team in the last few chapters. It gets kinda nuts on hard mode, just like with Awakening.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I was getting through Yoshi's Crafted World pretty fast so I decided that I'd turn it into a 100% run. Up until now I had been doing all the Poochy Pups, but that was about it for completion. The thing that initially turned me off of 100% was the costumes, because they come from one of those turncrank vending machines, whatever that's called, and I assumed it worked completely random and you'd have to grind coins until you got all the costumes. But I was pleasantly surprised that there's only like 10 or so costumes in each machine, and there's exactly 1 of each so you just buy out the machine and you have all the costumes. So with that I went back to the beginning of the game and started collecting everything.

The game doesn't work in Yoshi's Island style for completion, so rather than having to do a perfect run of the level where you collect everything in one go, you only need to find each collectible once, and once you have it you don't need to get it again. So if you're just missing one red coin for one flower, you can go into the level, grab it, and then the level is 100% completed. The other collectible they added in this game is finding souvenirs for the robot NPC in each world. This involves running through the level looking for 1 or a handful of unique specific setpieces in the foreground or background of the level, basically a hidden object or Where's Waldo game built into the levels. They even were nice enough to pop up a menu asking if you want to hop straight out of the level when you find it so you don't have to complete the course again, which was nice.

I do find some of the completion stuff a bit tedious, mainly because you're only given one souvenir to find at a time, so between finding all the red coins and flowers, finding all the poochy pups, and finding all the souvenirs, you'll end up doing a lot of stages multiple times over, which can get annoying. ESPECIALLY the levels with autoscrolling sections so you can't just quickly run through. One of the worst instances of this was a level where you're on a race car and go through a track that's about 4 minutes long. The level on its own is great, and I actually enjoy the race car controlling mechanic, but there was a souvenir mission to get 5 of some background object, and there's one that was right at the end of the track, and right after a turn where you barely have any time to react, so I ended up having to sit through the mindless autoscrolling car section like 6 times just for this one collectible. It doesn't help that the foreground and background aiming can be finicky, and you'll think Yoshi is gonna throw at the highlighted object but then something gets in the way or moves and Yoshi just chucks the egg to the side instead. Not an issue in most cases, but when you're on a timer and don't get a second try without redoing everything, it can be really annoying.

Also wow I didn't think I'd have this much to say about Yoshi's Crafted World