(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

Wow. So, I finally got to the harbor in Shenmue. Turns out I have to wait until evening to do...something. I head back to Dobuita to practice moves in the parking lot. At the first break, the game softlocks somehow. So the last 20+ minutes or so is lost.

Uuuuugh.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Wow. So, I finally got to the harbor in Shenmue. Turns out I have to wait until evening to do...something. I head back to Dobuita to practice moves in the parking lot. At the first break, the game softlocks somehow. So the last 20+ minutes or so is lost.

Uuuuugh.
oooh, the peak shenmue experience.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, Three Houses is working its way up the list of favorite Switch games. Has fun gameplay, good maps, enough variety in terms of what's going on although that might be a detriment for those that do replays of it since the downtime is mostly character interaction, but yeah. Only other game I could put on the level of it that I've had this much fun with on the system is Breath of the Wild.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Wow. So, I finally got to the harbor in Shenmue. Turns out I have to wait until evening to do...something. I head back to Dobuita to practice moves in the parking lot. At the first break, the game softlocks somehow. So the last 20+ minutes or so is lost.

Uuuuugh.
oooh, the peak shenmue experience.
Quintessential, I understand
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

As of late, I've been playing some Gen 7 OU matches in Pokémon Showdown, testing some of the teams I've formulated from the draft league in my workplace before the tournament starts. My team name is the Besaid Solrocks, it's a rain ream, at least in part. My current team members are as follows, in drafted order:

Pelipper
Tornadus-Therian
Kingdra
Bronzong
Mamoswine
Escavalier
Goodra
Kangaskhan
Mega Manectric
Decidueye

I'm considering making a few trades before the tournament (such as Escavalier for Kabutops, or Decidueye for Roserade), but, all things considered, I think I've got a decent team.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Those are some swell pokemon
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

I'm lucky to have gotten my hands on them. One of the other coaches was building a rain team of his own; one that more actively benefits from rain than my team (he has the likes of Mega Swampert, Ludicolo, Armaldo... A lot of Swift Swimmers).

My original plan was to make a dual-weather team between sun and rain, and to pick the likes of Volcanion and Heliolisk that can work in both. That's part of the fun of the draft, though; you never know if someone else will snipe something from you before it's your turn, and you have to adapt from there.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know if this is an intentional mechanic in Nioh but while I was doing this one mission, I found a bloody grave for a guy who was a bit higher level than me, but killing him gave me like 80,000+ amrita, and every once in a while during the mission I could go back there and his grave would be back and I could kill him again to get the giant amrita bounty. I did this several times and farmed a handful of levels. Not sure if I cheated or not...

Also the boss of this level was literally just Sister Friede, I can't imagine that's a coincidence
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I remember doing something like that in the beta. I got some great equipment that I definitely shouldn't have had at the time. I should get around to playing the actual game someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I definitely picked the right storyline in Three Houses by going with the Golden Deer class. Story's gone off the rails in a "Is this actually good? Ah, who cares, I'm having fun!" kind of way. Already spoiled myself on the other endings since there's no way I'm replaying this long game anytime soon, but yeah. It's getting nuts near the end here.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also the boss of this level was literally just Sister Friede, I can't imagine that's a coincidence
Ashes of Ariandel came out October 25th 2016, Nioh came out 7th February 2017 - think that's too short a timespan for a whole boss to be cloned. More likely they were just hitting the same themes from the Souls aesthetic.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also the boss of this level was literally just Sister Friede, I can't imagine that's a coincidence
Ashes of Ariandel came out October 25th 2016, Nioh came out 7th February 2017 - think that's too short a timespan for a whole boss to be cloned. More likely they were just hitting the same themes from the Souls aesthetic.
For some reason I thought Nioh came out more recently than that. Weird coincidence still!
There's also a boss shortly after that felt incredibly similar to Sanctuary Guardian (White Tiger). But I guess none of these similarities come as close as to that of Sekiro which came out AFTER Nioh, so you'll inevitably end up with similar ideas when you're going for a similar type of game.

I went through the ninja hideout level last night and had a lot of fun. That level really stands out in terms of creativity more than anything that's come before it. Overall, with this game in terms of level design, I'd put it above something like Dark Souls 2 which was basically nothing but corridors, but nothing close to DS1 or Demon's Souls. It's a little hard to compare because those games don't have missions structures, but they are still broken down into individual areas, and if you look at the individual areas in a vacuum, I think some Nioh levels hold up pretty well. The ninja hideout I mentioned earlier is pretty good for this, and there's also the flooded temple level where it's basically a big open area but you have to find different paths over broken rubble and travel along rooftops to get to different points. Shortcuts tend to just be one-way doors which is kinda lame, but at least they're wrapping the level back into itself instead of just putting another bonfire shrine where they think there should be a new checkpoint.

And I guess when I talk about level design here, I mainly mean with how the levels are laid out, because as Yahtzee mentioned in this review, every level is set in either a village, a forest, a cave, or a village in a forest with a cave. Maybe that's part of the reason why the flooded temple and ninja hideout stood out even more for me. The game also feels a little tedious when you go to do a sub mission (which I've been doing all of so far) and it's just an area you were in earlier but with new enemy placements. The story is absolute nonsense and I never even remember why I'm doing anything because despite a blur of text on the tin of every mission, the TRUE goal is "go through the level until you kill one specific enemy or set of enemies," so that isn't necessarily holding my interest. Also there's a handful of maps that they seem to just put anywhere which doesn't make sense when you're travelling across large regions in the story but there's an exact duplicate of an area you were already in. The game really does nothing to feel like an actual world, it's very arcade-ey in a lot of what it does.

Still having fun though!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I finished Shadow of Mordor.
It was a very fun game. I'm glad they included a side mode that's just built around the building your own army mechanic.
I was a little disappointed that the last two bosses weren't really anything. The Hammer of Sauron made me have much higher expectations for the Tower and the Black Hand.
But overall, great fun.

I also picked up Monster Hunter GU when it was $20 on the eShop.
I've been enjoying that.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

More Nioh: the level where you climb from the sewers all the way to the top of the castle was a lot of fun! They actually managed to implement something of a stealth section into the game and it worked pretty well, though I guess the main issue is the punishment for being caught can basically be nullified by just outrunning the enemy.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So, I started playing Head Lander...what a trippy game. It's a Metvania by Double Fine that's fairly linear, but it has a very deep late 60's sci-fi/psychedelic aesthetic in the strains of Logan's Run and Zardoz. To put it simply: You're the last of "pure" humanity, a detached head. The rest of humanity moved to the cloud, and are controlled by Methuselah, a (possibly broken and) patriarchal AI, through the use of an "Omega Gem." You're guided by an "Earl," who speaks in a Kentucky accent and may/not be a robot himself. You're out to find answers.

You fight by attaching your head to robot bodies and using their guns. They're also required to open doors and such.

It's weird in the way Psychonauts is weird. I think raocow would enjoy this...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished the main campaign of Nioh last night.

The boss that took me the longest was Gasha-Dokuro, not because it was particularly difficult, but because after I disabled his crystals I didn't know what to do. I ran around in circles for like half an hour, thinking I had to find a cannon on the battlefield to shoot at him or something, and eventually figured out I was just supposed to drop into the pit he was standing in so I could actually fight him.

Another instance of me being an idiot: it wasn't until the very last mission of the game that I remembered after buying my magic upgrades, I also had to attune the spells to myself to actually get the effects. I basically only put some levels into magic so I could get a couple healing spells since the game is so stingy with the healing items. At base level, you get 2 uses of each of the spells, but you can get upgrades to get 4 uses of each, and then 6. I had bought these, but while doing some management before going into the last mission, I suddenly realized I had only bought the upgrades but didn't actually attune them. Whoops!

Even though the main campaign is finished, there's still DLC for me to go into so I'll probably get started on that soon.

I think I need more time to figure out how I feel about this game. On one hand, the combat is generally pretty fun and it's a lot more in-depth than Dark Souls, but on the other hand there's some really weird annoyances that distract from that. So many items and armor pieces and weapons are thrown at you that you're constantly wasting time just trying to clear out your inventory of all the garbage you're left with. And there's all these different ways you can upgrade weapons and armor, but every time I spent time trying to do any of that, I'd go into the next mission and immediately kill an enemy that drops something way better than the thing I spent a bunch of time crafting manually. So there's no use to all of these in-depth systems if you just play the game.

The reuse of maps also got pretty grating. I don't find it particularly engaging to go back into a level I just did and run through the entire thing again with different enemy placements. And in general, there just didn't seem to be all that many enemies, and it got pretty repetitive fighting the same giant brute with an axe for the 3592nd time.

But overall I had a good time. I'll probably end up getting/playing the sequel when that comes out. Which is soon!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been playing spark the electric jester 2 some more, finally trying to finish up as much as i can after like....... two months. i got all the score medals (which is theoretically the hardest achievement according to the stats?) but have to do most of the speed medals still, and all of the tour modes... it's kind of a lot of just replaying content which i'm not too wild about but it's mostly fun. except apocalypse thruster, which is a garbage level that can bite me
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nast

Post by Nast »

I recently started Metal Gear Solid and have been playing it on and off. Not sure how far I am into it since I've never played it before, but I'm at the part where

you bust out of prison

. The game as a whole is a lot more talk-y than I was expecting, and some of the finer details of the story are going over my head, but I appreciate the moments of levity and clever fourth-wall breaks. It plays pretty alright, though it's a bit dated in some aspects (why can't I use my key card and my gas mask at the same time? lol). Either way I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

I also tried tried playing Torchlight II with friends and it was a confusing experience since I'd never played a Diablo-type game before, so I'm going through it on my own time now so I can learn it at my own pace. The combat's fun in a mindless way, at least at this stage since skills cost almost no MP to use, so you can tear through most enemies without any problems. The biggest trouble for me though is that they bombard you with new armors and weapons and accessories, each with tons of individual stats to consider, and it just overwhelms me. I guess that might be more my fault than the game's for not being accustomed to this sort of thing.

Finally I picked osu! back up after not playing it for years. I love this game, and I think I'm pretty decent at it, but all the difficult maps these days have streaming in them which is just not fun for me. :c
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago The game as a whole is a lot more talk-y than I was expecting, and some of the finer details of the story are going over my head
Ah, the essential Hideo Kojima experience

I finished Shenmue this morning. What a...something. It's an interesting concept. I get the sense it takes a lot of cues from Hong Kong TV dramas (and to a lesser extent, Japanese TV dramas). But it's so uneven and weird, probably because of that. I also feel like Yu Suzuki was using an disproportionate amount of political capital to make this game. It's also, even in its "HD" release, extremely dated in terms of structure, which turns out to be a failing. Like the end does this text scroll that is almost certainly intended to pay homage to those dramas. However, it's based on the original 640x480 rez image/texture they used from the original Dreamcast game. So it's SUPER-pixelated, ruining the mood.

I'll play II at some point. Not now. I'm kind of half-and-half between starting either GTA IV or Fallout New Vegas. Which should I doooooo
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Alright I was willing to overlook some of the similarities in bosses between Nioh and the FromSoft games. I hadn't even brought up the obvious Quelaag clone, but this DLC boss in Nioh is a young-looking, caped woman with silver hair and fights with a sword.
I immediately thought of Lady Mariah from the Bloodborne DLC. And if that wasn't enough, THEY NAMED HER MARIA

They're not even trying to hide it at this point!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

24hoSMW 12 got me in the mood for some SMW, so I booted up VIP and Wall Mix (with THFTT's translation) and got to World 6 savestateless, just with an infinite lives code. Currently at ゴールはもう 目の前にある (We're Already at the Goal).

My boyfriend says I'm flying through it~ :calleoca:
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

So I started playing Bloodstained and Fallout New Vegas. Bloodstained is...rather generous for a Metroidvania? I went back to handle a sidequest, and all the chests (except the red ones) got refills. That's impressive. I'm undecided whether I'll go full-completionist, since that might be a pain in the ass to do, but still.

New Vegas is less stable than Bolivia, even with stability mods. Main issue is autosave causing a hard crash whenever I fast-travel or enter a new map. I've taken to the habit of quicksaving before I enter buildings or fast-travel. It's helped to some degree. Still, so far it's not too bad. A little harder, since caps are a little less available. I'm just not sure when to dive in to the DLCs. I'm assuming Lonesome Road is supposed to be an epilogue, but the other three I'm less sure about. Currently finished up most quests in Primm/Goodsprings.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years agoSo I started playing Bloodstained and Fallout New Vegas. Bloodstained is...rather generous for a Metroidvania? I went back to handle a sidequest, and all the chests (except the red ones) got refills. That's impressive. I'm undecided whether I'll go full-completionist, since that might be a pain in the ass to do, but still.
Bloodstained is like Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia with chests. Chests that hold static items or are rare chests don't refill but common and uncommon randomized chests do.

Also I say you should go full completionist. Other than a few small bits (like the hidden area's boss) it's actually not all that difficult to do. I even completed the entirety of the enemy drop list which isn't something I've quite succeeded at in any of the Castlevanias.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I picked up Pokemon aS again, now I'm obsessed with catching everything I can.

Bringing over an Azurill and a Budew from Y helped a bit with finishing those families... after I realized that getting their evolved forms would be a pain in the butt.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Also I say you should go full completionist. Other than a few small bits (like the hidden area's boss) it's actually not all that difficult to do. I even completed the entirety of the enemy drop list which isn't something I've quite succeeded at in any of the Castlevanias.
Fair deal. I'm slow-burning this, it feels like. I'm three hours in and I only defeated two bosses so far. Have done a few side quests though, so that keeps things interesting.

Been also trying to trudge through Katamari Damacy REROLL, and while I was at the doctor's office on Saturday, I finally beat Taurus properly!

I got the Holy Cow!

Going to move on with another level before I tackle Ursa Major.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image