(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos is a top-down Zeldaish game on the Switch and PC. I played as a co-op partner in the Switch version and found it to be all right other than be rushed through the plot by my overpowered player one friend going through the game for a second time. We definitely sequence broke some stuff as a result on my data while flying through this one. Ha-ha.

A single-player experience will probably see you lose in a dungeon, level your health and attack up back in town, and then retry through these procedurally-generated dungeons. Interesting idea that also kind of rushes itself to a half-hearted conclusion. The game itself was fun, though.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

;ashrgf;awr drowning in new game starts

I'm up to the first bonus map in Fire Emblem (the one with Lyn and Eliwood and Hector), I'm on the road to Lich in Final Fantasy 1, I'm on my way back to Altair after the first trip to Finn in Final Fantasy 2, I'm about to start the Sector 5 Bombing Mission in Final Fantasy 7, I'm still cleaning up core battles in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and I'm still scratching away at Vast Poni Canyon in Pokemon Ultra Sun

send help
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

At the Eternal Watchman's House in PoPoLoCrois Monogatari, beat Don Maestro, heading to the quiz section. My favorite part about this is how the GameFAQs guide literally just says "answer the bottom option all the time and sometimes you'll win" which is hilarious.

Answer sheet:
オーケストラのネコの数は、全部で8匹である ⇒ X (Are there eight cats in the previous room's orchestra?)
カイは、ショート・カットの女の子である ⇒ X (Is Kai's hairstyle a short cut?)
カナリシアの換気扇は、町の人がお風呂に入らないためついている ⇒ X (Is the ventilation fan in Canaricia on because people there don't bathe?)
ガミガミ魔王がかぶっているのは、青い帽子である ⇒ X (Does Gami Gami have a blue hat on his head? (believe this is because he has a helmet instead))
ここは、番人の館の中である ⇒ ○ (Are we in the Watchman's House?)
コロシアムでは、連続5回戦う ⇒ ○ (Are there five rounds in the Colosseum?)
サボーの耳は立っている ⇒ X (Do Sabor's ears point upwards?)
四天王の名前は、ヤブー、ゾルダン、カウパそして、ドリルである ⇒ X (Are the Four Heavenly Kings named: Yaboo, Zoldan, Kaupa and Doril? (Dorun, not Doril))
四天王の一人、カウパは、杖を持っている ⇒ ○ (Does Kaupa use a staff?)
ジャンボは、ラダック仙人の弟子である ⇒ ○ (Is Jumbo, the hermit Radack's disciple?)
謎の少女は、白いエプロンをかけている ⇒ ○ (Does the mysterious girl wear a white apron?)
ナルシアとギルダは姉妹である ⇒ ○ (Are Narcia and Gilda sisters?)
パーセラのエレベータ好きな青年は、決してエレベータには乗らない ⇒ ○ (Has the Elevator fanatic in Pasela, never actually gotten on an elevator?)
ハープの部屋の振り子時計は、2時を指していた ⇒ X (Is the grandfather clock at the harp player's room say its 2 o'clock?)
番人の館を外から見た時、全部で六枚のドアがある ⇒ ○ (When you look at this house from the outside, are there six doors in total?)
ピエトロ王子は、20才である ⇒ X (Is Prince Pietro 20 years old?)
ピエトロのお母さんの魂は、闇の世界にとらわれている ⇒ ○ (Is Pietro's mother's spirit trapped in the world of darkness?)
ポポロクロイス城には、部屋が全部で23ある ⇒ X (Are there 23 rooms in totality, within Castle Popolocrois?)
ラダック仙人は刀の山に住んでいる ⇒ X (Does the hermit Radack live in the Mountain of Blades? (Slight pun here, it's wrong because it's meant to be 剣の山))
竜の玉は、全部で三つある ⇒ ○ (Are there three dragon spheres?)

X - wrong
○ - right
Also at Stage 40: Marill in Pokémon Shuffle, which I had on my 3DS for a long time but I recently boot up for a quick run on occasion with the five hearts I get. I can't purchase anything other than stuff that takes jewels since I have a hacked 3DS, but that's good, the microtransactions were gross anyway.

Also been trying to get medals in the Main Game of Kirby Canvas Curse, trying to find the second one in the Silver Submarine stage of Iello Adventure. Unlocked three nostalgic song collections, the Zebra line and the Beads line. The lines are really cute, really enjoying the beads one. Need to try out the straight pride one sometime too lol

Edit: Now at the Ruined Town on the Demon's Star in PoPoLoCrois Monogatari. Difficulty is ass. I'll trudge onwards slowly but surely. The encounter rate and the sequence of battles before the

scene where Pietro meets his mother Sania

are really annoying and even with auto-battle it's random whether I win or not. Ragequit when getting owned in the

Dorun of the West

battle sent me all the way back to outside the

ruined Popolocrois Castle Town

and next to Mack the Whale. I'll reload from a save at the

ruined school

, rewatch the scenes and

fight Dorun again

. Apparently his Giga Storm attack can have its attack reduced by Wind Talismans, but I think I might only have 3 of those (or I'm confusing the 3 with Ice Talismans, no idea).
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm officially done with the Mighty Switch Force Collection. I got all the par times in 1, 2 (and the babies), and Academy. I didn't realize Hyper Drive Edition was just an improved version of the first game or I woulda just went to it first, but as I was playing through it to see if I could be bothered with the bonus content I found I'd pretty much beaten all that was in 1 again. So I did all the Hyper levels too. I gave HyperB a shot, but those levels seem to be about precise timing (I gave up on 2) and less about solving some platforming puzzles and figuring out the fastest way to do it. Like, if I know what I'm supposed to do but I can't do it because your game is asking me to be too precise then I'm not gonna bother. The game is picky enough already with where you stand when you switch platforms without making that window even tinier.

I'd still recommend it if you can get it for cheap. 1 is good and the par times aren't hard. 2 is good but the par times feel pretty "optimized" but 100% doable. Academy is still fun but the gimmick is you can see the whole level and the game kinda loses its charm a bit with that, but still fun.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

bowser's fury is neat. it's way closer to SM64 than it is to odyssey admittedly, it's more isolated islands that just happen to exist in the same larger overworld but there's very little interaction between "levels" and it's mostly just nonlinear 3D world levels, which

i'm totally fine with? it's fun. it's got a good gameplay loop. fury blocks are incredibly dumb but everything else is coolio
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat

Dorun

, which felt like I got lucky on top of having two Wind Talismans and two Dragon Talismans on my party, so it didn't feel good. But yeah Chapter 4: The Ice Demon on PoPoLoCrois Monogatari, boyeeeeeee. Rescued Narcia after she

went into a deep sleep due to Pietro discovering she was Kai when she detransformed in front of him as he was waking up from being unconscious

by getting a Sorm Flower at the Fountain of Hurry (Fountain of Gallop in the PSP version, that name doesn't feel like it makes sense). Now I have to go back to the Fountain and head to the Lands of Ice in the distant north.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At the Temple of Ice in PoPoLoCrois Monogatari. Beat Zoldan of the North, next area is a maze so. Gonna look up a fucking guide for that lmao

EDIT: At Chapter 6: 動きだす予言 (A Prophecy in Motion) in The Legend of Heroes III: White Witch (PC).
Image Image
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

my GOTY is just gonna be CrossCode again.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat PoPoLoCrois Monogatari!

An excellently, heartwarmingly written game with gorgeous graphics and an interesting battle system, sadly marred by an unbalanced difficulty curve. Literally the only thing keeping me from giving me a full on 5. Worth the experience.

The story is a fairytale like story of a young prince searching to bring back his mother from the World of Darkness, turning into a battle where the outcome could rewrite the fate of the kingdom of Popolocrois! Full of charm, full of love, full of soul. The battle system is an interesting mix of traditional turn based and strategy with positioning, but also with a guts meter that you have to keep a handle on to maintain your attacks' strength or beef them up. Honestly a bit of a hassle but w/e.

If I had to choose one thing I have a problem with is the gag involving Gami Gami's crush on Narcia in chapter 2, considering Gami Gami is very much a middle aged manlet and Narcia looks to be about Pietro's age, i.e. ten? Once MatatabiMitsu and their mistery hacker's translation patch comes out, promise me you'll play it!

Or else... (#・∀・)

EDIT: Chapter 7 of The Legend of Heroes III: White Witch heyoo
Image Image
Nast

Post by Nast »

I've finished all the data battles in KHIII ReMind. I left Xehanort for last and he was without a doubt the hardest of the bunch, the only one I needed more than one session to beat. All that's left now is

Yozora

. Two several hour long sessions have not been enough to beat it so far lol
What a bombastic fight this is, and a really interesting one in the grand scheme of things. He's got this move where he'll trap you and steal your keyblade and you gotta focus on dodging until you get it back, but you can also avoid it altogether if you learn to predict it. That's such an interesting mechanic that I don't recall ever seeing in a KH fight. He'll also steal anything else he can from you, like your max HP, your focus gauge, items and even your kupo coin which is super rude lol. Also he's got a small chance of starting the fight with a long attack phase he otherwise only uses when he's at half health? Wild
After going through all thirteen data battles I feel like I see a pattern in how they're designed. They're hard, obviously, but they're all super learnable, because while they attack relentlessly they do so in a consistent, almost static manner. It'll seem impossible at first because you know nothing about the fight, but through repetition distinct 'defend/dodge' and 'attack' phases become apparent. Then success lies in memorizing each behaviour in order and executing with the right timing. For some bosses that have little to no variation in the order of their attack behaviours, it can end up feeling like you're going through the same motions until you've cleared every 'wall' in the fight. The fight becomes less about reaction and more about prediction, if that makes sense. As a result, some of the best bosses in my opinion are the ones that add just a bit of unpredictability to their pattern - whether by mixing up the order of their attacks, making you and the opponent's positioning a factor in avoiding attacks, or something else - enough to encourage you to pay attention to visual or auditory cues and actually react to the opponent. Dark Riku and

Yozora

are good examples of this. That said even the more static fights are still pretty dang fun, so long as they don't drag on for too long.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat The Legend of Heroes III: The White Witch (TLoHII: Prophecy of the yadda yadda PC) yooooo

EDIT: Past chapters 5-7 (Wasteland of Recollection ~Missing Link~, The Silent Demon ~Silent Destroyer~, The Hand Which Sows Wars ~Team Acute~) and I'm at Chapter 8: The Lost Spirit Child ~Funny Girl~ in Summon Night, for now. I'll continue later.
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I'm in the Hyrule Warriors: AoC zone
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At the final boss in Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (PC98). Not putting the incredible strategic sequence of:
1) getting owned on purpose
2) choosing to be transported to the last town I was in (Phaeth)
3) stocking up on items on various shops to prepare for

both forms of Agni'ja

properly
4) then teleporting back to Bernice Castle
out of the picture just yet though.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Dinosaur Resurrection. The Berserker you fight is pretty hot tbh. I'm at the Temple of Nira Underground 2B. Ash x Orlic otp

Really fun dungeon crawler, having an easier time getting into it than like. Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei 2
Image Image
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Finished playing FE: Awakening alongside wifey and we've moved on to Pokemon White 2 and Black 2. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the originals were when we played them last year, so hopefully the quality is kept up with in the sequel.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Finished Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes on the NEC PC98. An average Dragon Quest clone that is propped up big time by its richly detailed script, despite its simple cast and storyline (save the world of Iselhasa from an evil empire of monsters, then

fight an evil god dragon that was behind it

).
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

at this point i'm gonna have played super mario 3d world levels so many times that i could make a tier list or ranking of them all but i don't want to
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Finished Bioshock 2 last night. It's kind of sad that the game finally got good at the final segment, Persephone. The story actually made some interesting moves (I was genuinely surprised that

Sinclair did not do a traitor

, while you still had to

kill him

), the plasmids became fun (especially the 11th-hour superpower you get), the game felt frantic and interesting. My only letdown was the lack of a satisfying endboss like Fontaine was in the original (like I wanted to punch Sofia Lamb so hard), but that was acceptable.

It's just too bad the game dragged before getting to this point. My biggest complaint of the whole game is the Little Sisters harvesting thing. I understood the reasoning for it, for they wanted to make something distinct from the "kill Big Daddy, deal with Little Sister" of the original. But the fact is the whole mechanic, based on one of the most annoying sequences in the original, is just a glorified form of Tower Defense, which is a game genre I've always found tedious. It got somewhat better once I got the gene tonic that accelerated the process (and once I ceased researching, also tedious), but that was only late in the game. It stifled pacing of the game dramatically, and made it a slog. That they made DLC with that specific mechanic in mind is mind-boggling. I will be skipping that DLC (Protector Trials), though I will do Minerva's Den, if only because I want to know what happened to Tenenbaum (she just ghosts after she hands you off to Sinclair).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 10: The Lost Train ~Out of Line~ in Summon Night. Over yesterday and today I've gotten the following units: Locus (~Team Acute~), Monaty and Gaum (~Funny Girl~) and Akane (Chapter 9: The Sleep of Mescle ~Sleep of Death~).

Monaty is really adorable, she keeps calling the protagonist master (first goshujin-sama, now masuta-) due to them saving her and Gaum from becoming pets for the Mahn Brothers after they bought them from a circus that was in Seijent at the time. She acts like a pet in a human body, which makes sense because she's basically a Maetropan, of the Rebbit kind specifically (not a typo), so she's essentially a rabbit girl. I'd do weed with her if she didn't look like. 14. And also if I did weed.

Gaum is a little cat (it looks like a dog tho) buddy that's pretty powerful. According to the official site,

it's a mass of magical energy of indeterminate form

, which is baller and metal as hell.

I'm gonna try to level Mona and Gaum up a bit to use em.

So far Acute came up to the Flat hideout to

make a deal with the protagonist so they used their power to help them assassinate Imuran, eldest of the Mahn Brothers and occasional shit-stirrer in the story (sort of a goldfish poop gang if you'll excuse the tropelish)

of course, the Flat gang said no. Curious...
Cyril wrote: 3 years ago at this point i'm gonna have played super mario 3d world levels so many times that i could make a tier list or ranking of them all but i don't want to
you must do it
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

okay sure every single autoscroller is in the D tier with special mention to the top-down honeycomb levels in the F tier
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Now rank them from best to worst (don't actually do this)

Hyrule Warriors AoC is going well. Forgot I'm replaying Yoshi's Island 100% for the heck of it after being mildly annoyed that Yoshi's Crafted World isn't the same thing. Forgot that the weird obscure hidden stuff was always part of the Yoshi series though
Crow

Post by Crow »

all the water levels are D-tier except the rammerhead level is also F tier
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

at the same time

EDIT: At Chapter 12: The Blue Faction ~The Visitor~ in Summon Night.

Acute has stopped working to oppress the citizens thanks to Leid and joined forces with Flat so now I have Stout, Ramda, Pelgo and Sesil. Might get Cysalis and Elias later on

. Akane, Locus and Monaty ate shit in the previous two battles of Ch11 though, and I really don't want the Demon Lord ending (be a general asshole, let friends die a lot) so im going to level everyone up on the Spinel Plateau free battle.

Also need to get the Eluka sidequest. I might not have been able to get Sivon - a bow user would really be great though, also more girls in my sausage fest of a party, so far i only have Akane, Sesil and Monaty, clearly I should have gone with Natsumi as the protag - or Wizell - who is hot as fuck and his slightly younger but still DILF SN3 incarnation is even cuter, not to diss the sheer magnum dong power of silver fox GILFs ofc - but fuck it I'll get Eluka, Lipre and Sion. Getting Wizell would have also netted me the Summonite Sword which is basically the Ultima Weapon (weapon weapon not Weapon as in the biomech superbosses) of the game, so oops.

Really looking forward to playing this when I have a better grasp on ye ol' Nihongo, because it feels like a really chill shounen anime-esque adventure in terms of plot. Basically a serious isekai without the gross shit, which I'm pretty sure is a thing but is sadly hidden amongst the pile of gross fucking isekais like GATE or Shield Hero (which apparently both come from Shousetsuka ni Narou, which from what I've heard in Unseen Japan, has a huge netouyo userbase problem amongst writers despite it being prominent enough that highly rated web novels on there become light novels and anime... :thonking:).
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yoshi's Crafted World wishes it was Woolly World but couldn't be. That soundtrack went right back to garbage.

Anyway, I played through River City Ransom via the Switch's NES official emulator thing. Very quick game when you have a guide.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got to play Super Mario 3D World online with a couple of Discordhausers yesterday. Outside of a couple exceptions (3-2 being the one I remember most), the game ran pretty smoothly! Got through the first three worlds, although I think we forgot the stamp in the one haunted level now that I think about it. Oh well.

Next up: :mgmnds: