(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
11clock

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by 11clock »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago Crash 1 is mediocre. Checkpoints mean nothing when you lose all your boxes when you lose a life. That's just dumb. 2 and Warped are so much better in that regard. 4 went back to 1's style if you're a completionist and then some, and that annoyed me quite a bit. Just playing through that game without even going for all the boxes is all right though.

Anyway, nothing from me for now. Thinking about playing a PS3 game from before trophies being a thing like Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, but I think it's Mega Man video and audio editing time instead.
Keep in mind that I was playing the N Sane Trilogy, which patches out Crash 1’s bullshit. They even marked most of the secret paths with wumpa fruit. I found Crash 1 the most straight forward one to complete as a result, only needing to pull out a guide for Cortex Power (the only level in Crash 1 that I thought was terrible).

Crash 2 was the worst for me because of all the ridiculous secrets and the amount of backtracking required for many of the gems.

Crash 4 ruined 100% completion, but that game at least added a smaller goal to reach in the form of the wumpa fruit gems, which I have found enough satisfaction with getting alone. It also doesn’t lock the canon ending behind completion like Crash 2 and 3 did.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Doom: I think I've reached the upper limits on how many corruption cards at once is too many (did a godmoded custom 8x8 permacards run, got up to E3M1 before my computer started throwing a fit, and E3M9 was literally unplayable) so now it's time to actually try to Git Gud At This.

P3FES: Arcana Priestess cleared.

P5R Clean Merciless: so as much fun as it is to drive the phantom thieves up a wall by not sending the calling card until the last possible day (did this with Kamoshida), there's just too many S.Link chances lost to keep it going. And I didn't even manage to push for Knowledge 2 in the process :/
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Gundam Cross Dimension 0079 - wtf this game owns?? It's a neat little Turn Based Strategy RPG where every encounter has like lots of fog of war? It's super fun, and it's not even that hard because, when you choose to retry a mission you get the added EXP you gained during it a la FF6, which makes the game more possible since, if you go for a no-retry run (might try that with savestates to skip the intros later) it seems to be very challenging, especially since you seem to straight up fight Char numerous times. It seems to be a mostly straight adaptation of the first Gundam anime series and its movie, apparently?

I think the LOSE option in the menu might actually just be a meaner form of Shining Force's Egress, which is basically an out to let you grind harder with Try Again if you're very bad at the game which is super good, but I haven't really picked it at all. The Gundam Wikia article on it explains it much better than I could since I'm still a novice to this game, but!

I absolutely recommend it even if you don't know Gundam, much better than the Tenchi Muyo mess. I kid, it wasn't that bad, do consider the Yukinojou muyo! patch tho even if it's possibly missing the point. Definitely trying Formula Senki 0122 later, the F91 one. Not sure if it has RPG elements at all, but that doesn't really stop me.

Super Robot Wars - This one is from yesterday but I wanted to give priority to CD 0079. I'm at the Lakeside Battle chapter, the second one. I lost the Zetas (Z and ZZ), but I can retry the mission by loading from a hard save and see if I can do better if necessary. I'm aiming to keep and only deploy around 4 party members in each map. The maps do get bigger, but the movement is so clunky that I feel like a balanced party size instead of deploying every Gundam (not saying Getter or Mazinger because Gundam has outright seven default units compared to those two's like four and three respectively???) is much more beneficial, I did part of an F91 solo playthrough and it made the game piss easy. You also have less of a huge EXP gain pool to divide the points you get that way, so...

I've also recruited Getter Q and Texas Mack on my savestate, along side them I have ν Gundam (Nu, not Victory) and the F91. I'm not as fully aware of Getter Robo and Mazinger's characters and mechs for now, there's only so many hours in a day to watch anime, even if it's super neat retro ones. I wanted to recruit Aphrodite A and Diana A in the first map, since they're part of the good guys (and their tit missiles are the best. a smidge sexist but the best), but I guess they had like too much Loyalty and I felt like it was best to not risk it since they and the main boss were in a pretty good formation to just triple shot my SD Gundams to death. That's how one of the Zetas got boned.

I'm not sure if loyalty + charisma and recruiting enemies will matter in the later SRWs, since they all involve actual piloted mechs and mech-likes rather than SD boys, but I find this mechanic very neat in a Strategy RPG, even if it's luck based.

Yakuman - Not strategy, but I'm seeing how this game works. It seems to be pretty approachable for a novice, but I have to really read the rules in like Kemono Mahjong (thanks Glen for gifting that to me) or something while I play so I really register them in my mind. It's not full on 4 player, alas, but 2p might be good to help me get started and as a quick time waster. Did a few rounds and... I'm not really sure if I won any! But it's very fun so I'm very interested in digging in further.

Need to get some Shogi and Go games aimed at beginners onto this Vita, I think there's a few on the NES that are untranslated, but might use kana for standard text (aside from Shogi tile names, likely). Also some Othello, I was addicted to that and Tetris in my Computer Science class days, thanks Ubuntu. Always pissed off my teach with those (^w^ )

I also played some Final Fight as Haggar (natch, he's a DILF and has a cute 'stache), but I'm gonna see if I can hack in infinite continues with a cheat code, preferably pre-made. Limited continues in home console games are so shitty. Same with the SoR and DoubDrag games. I'll put in Bara Yarou and other TG16/MD/SNES beat 'em ups or belt scrollers later too once I beat a few more. Do have a few Kunio games too and... Battletoads... So I'll play those too, not retranslating my River City Ransom rom, will tell you that much! (BARF) Forget if I put Renegade in, tho.

I'll do FFG as Guy, Cody and Axel are just a bit boring in their respective franchises, SoR4 Axel is much cuter with the whole hobo beard. Love me an unkempt geezer. Big shout outs to SFA Cody's jailcat get up, love a troubled bad boy (^q^ )

I'm a huge fan of turn based Mecha strategy games, I really need to check out if there's any good Kaiju strategy games, maybe the GG Godzilla one and the parody/pastiche Famicom one I saw once. Apparently Kaiju Wars is super good, but I'm strapped for cash aside from the money I have to upgrade my computer and I feel bad pirating indie games. Giants and macros 4lyfe d(^q^)b
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Took a week off from Chrono Trigger because I was super sick. (Games are not much fun for me when I'm sick)

I've pretty much reached the memory limit with my SNES Mini lol. I got mostly what I want though. A few games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, PC Engine, Master System, and Game Gear are on there as well as what I think is a decent collection of NES and Genesis games. I forget how many SNES games I have but it's a lot.

I'd like to finish Chrono Trigger but I'm not really in a rush. I'd like to play some other shorter games on the side. I've never actually beaten Super Mario Bros 2 ( :kood: ) and I should probably finish up Psycho Dream on the Super Famicom. I wonder how much time I'll have since the semester is about to start up lol. :ehh:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Matthew_Coco wrote: 1 year ago I've pretty much reached the memory limit with my SNES Mini lol. I got mostly what I want though. A few games from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, PC Engine, Master System, and Game Gear are on there as well as what I think is a decent collection of NES and Genesis games. I forget how many SNES games I have but it's a lot.
Same with my Vita. I think it might have 16gb on its Shitty Proprietary Memory Card as a whole. I have mostly GB, GBC, GBA, Game Gear, SMS, SNES, NES+FDS, MD, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket and a bunch of PSX games, most of the PSX ones on Adrenaline, the PSP emulator I use. On the occasion I put in a PSP, Mega CD or Turbo CD game too, depending on what I'm playing.

Need to check if the PCFX and 3DO RA cores are actually decent on the Vita, waiting till I get a moddable Switch for Saturn emulation on the go. Not sure abt Daedalusx64, I'll research it once I clear up more space. I don't trust DOS games to run well without possibly needing a mouse, but I'll research it and I think the J-PC stuff doesn't work very well? I need to figure out EuroPC stuff. Very scared of RM2k/2k3 games' file sizes too.

King's Field 1's translation patch is on RetroArch because it doesn't work on Adrenaline, only the JP version. I also have two Vita games that I'm still not touching yet and I should really uninstall: Digimon Cyber Sleuth 1 (I'm focusing on my actually legal, fuck Bamco tho, copy of the Switch version for now) and one of the BlazBlues.

I've added a bunch of Action games that I was sure were good, but they were still like 100+ of them, and I only added them to NES, SNES and MD, need to go through the others, there are some high quality ones on TurboGrafx and its CD addon. The majority of the stuff I have are like, RPG, Strategy (RPG, straight up Koei shit, fucking Warlocked???? etc) and for some reason some Adventure games?

I wasn't entirely keeping up a quota or standard for what went in, a lot of them are straight up untranslated too because I understand like 15% of Japanese lmao, so I thought I'd manage and I kinda am. Legit have like entire subsections of libraries in this.

I need to trim the NES/FDS one because I don't know if I can manage playing through like, stuff like the DBZ card RPGs (aside from like Super Saiya Densetsu). At least SNES kusoge are fucking gorgeous. I'll see how far I can go before removing them

I need to have it opened up to check if the sticks are still good or not and see if the L button is dirty, the L button won't stay pressed for longer than like one frame? And the sticks, if I tap them they can sort of "pseudo-drift"? I think that one might also depend on the sensitivity of the app or game. This Vita is ancient and used despite being like a 2000 model I believe? But I like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SMB2 is super good and people tend to shit on it because it's "not Mario" when it has a bunch of Mario DNA entrenched into it even in its DDP incarnation. Have fun. I also need to start Psycho Dream, I saw the person (lady?) from Gaming Hell make an article about it but I haven't read it beyond their Tweets, and it seems to be super fun if very gory, which is right up my alley.

Chrono Trigger, I'm still in the middle of getting every ending for the first time, instead of stopping at To Far Away Times. But it's super repetitive, so I'm taking a break from it for now after getting like three of them so far, somewhat in a row.
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

SMB2 is super good and people tend to shit on it because it's "not Mario" when it has a bunch of Mario DNA entrenched into it even in its DDP incarnation. Have fun. I also need to start Psycho Dream, I saw the person (lady?) from Gaming Hell make an article about it but I haven't read it beyond their Tweets, and it seems to be super fun if very gory, which is right up my alley.
The funny thing about SMB2 for me is that I could never beat it when I purchased it from the Wii via Wii Shop Channel. I still enjoyed though, and it's definitely an important game for me growing up. Going back to it this time should be much smoother due to save states. Also, holy shit I completely forgot how weird the controls were for me. It feels like I have to put way too much effort into where I land (especially when I'm dashing around).

think my last save point was at the start of stage 2 from the middle of 2022 CE so I haven't experienced too much but the whole vibe the game emanates is addicting if you are into general strangeness and horror. I heard it's pretty short but whatever. :pal:
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Wario Land: I'm back to playing Coin Golf. Except I went for swagger points and got the Orb (Course 20 treasure, worth 5000 coins so this is part of a hypothetical "Coin Golf But Not Worst Ending" route). Except doing that cost me Jet and I picked up a bunch of coins in Stage 21 I could have avoided otherwise. Currently at 84 coins going into Course 24.

EDIT: Proper coin golf rules would dictate that I get the treasures from Course 9 and Course 30 instead for exactly 10,000 coins, so this save file's shot as far as Coin Golf goes. Ah well, it's a short game and the above two treasures are en route already anyway.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

The thing I've always found funny about Mario 2 is that supposedly Luigi's squirrely movement is supposed to make his high jumping/hang time a disadvantage. But the deal is that that extra hang time allows you to line up your landing honestly more precisely than you can with Mario because the little hang gives you extra time and Mario still has enough momentum as to where his lessened squirreliness doesn't make up for him barely having hang time in the air.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

After playing through the mainline Doom series I went on to its spiritual successor Spiritfarer

You know, cause they're both about death and the afterlife I guess
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

After a decade of remaining unbeaten, I'm happy to say I beat Super Mario Bros. 2 today. Not gonna lie, was getting a little pissed by the end but the ending was so worth it. :D

Also finished Psycho Dream today. Final level was a thing but overall I liked it.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I spent a hell of a lot of time setting up a Windows 3.1 vm last night and now I get to do it all over again tomorrow because early windows is a house of cards (though to be fair this was during the era of "windows can't automagically fix itself when your hardware changes" and I hadn't fully tested the hardware-type settings of the vm so I honestly don't know why I'm so surprised that this even happened). But getting to play Civ2 and Oregon Trail II and HoMM 2 again wioll haven been worth it.

AWDS: Finally came back to this after like a week of being pissed off at my 3ds. Somehow I managed to get an S-Rank on Ring of Fire despite playing the secondary front super defensively? But Grit is just that good for this mission. Anyway on to probably the worst Normal Mode mission of the game (just barely worse than Crystal Calamity, mind you) since it basically forces you to use Sami+Eagle.

Pokemon Crystal Randomizer: so I'm going to be starting a new randomizer yet again because apparently I set a flag on the item randomizer that I really had no business setting and now I have to choose between "navigate caves requiring flash without actually having flash", or "find all the hidden spots without Itemfinder", neither of which really appeal to me. On the plus side this gives me an excuse to play using a tracker (now I just need for EmoTracker to play nice with Wine, or else just make a one-off vm for EmoTracker to run in), as well as amping up the trainer and wild battle levels considerably via UPR (evidently having liberal exp sharing makes you level up too quickly for the unmodified curve).

P5R Clean Save Merciless: About to start in on Madarame, which this is going to be fun. At least this time I made sure to keep single target ailment spells handy.

Sonic 3 Complete: because I need something that isn't an RPG. Currently up to Hydrocity, I don't expect this to take too long.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, as I've noted in the past, I've been on-and-off playing Going Under. It's a roguelike that had the misfortune of being released around the same time as that one Greek mythos roguelike that everyone turned into some kind of identity badge for a while (that's now getting a sequel?). Sad really, it's a good roguelike. I've gotten the hang of how it plays, and now I've made enough progress to clear 2 of the 3 dungeon areas. I suspect one of the reasons it got glossed over is that, ultimately, it is kind of a short game. I'm pretty sure that once I clear the third dungeon, I'll face the final boss (which I presume to be

Marvin, Jacqueline's boss, equipping himself with the three relics from each dungeon

), and that'll be that.

It's kind of sad, too. Having been involved with startups at some points of my career, I can relate to a lot of what Going Under is making fun of. It's clearly taking the piss on startup culture and everything it stands for. Its graphical style is just Corporate Memphis, period, right down to the models and loading screens. The music is pretty good in how it parodies certain internet trends, with a couple tracks definitely sounding like something from Lo-Fi Beats to Study To. Your first dungeon is a parody on gig worker apps, your second a take on Tinder/Grindr/Feeld, and the third was making fun of crypto before NFTs were even a thing. Ray, the CEO, reminds me a lot of my old CEO (before she fired me) in the sense of having this broad vision of a startup based on some personal experience but not having any fucking clue how to make the business work. (Yeah, I'm still annoyed about losing that job.) The office settings all feel like startup offices, especially the hub area. It's a well-refined take on startups and the modern tech industry (though, with all the startup money disappearing thanks to Inflation™, this might become a "product of its time"). It's good fun regardless, though I wish weapon durability was a little less of an issue.

Meanwhile, I'm now over halfway through Grand Theft Auto IV. More specifically, 53.49%. Tonight, I just unlocked New Jersey Alderney, which means the entire world is open. I've cleared all the piegons and stunt jumps (save one) in Algonquin, which means I only have to worry about Alderney stuff for side-quests and all that moving forward, which I'll get to once I get the Alderney safehouse (which I think is only 2 missions away). I currently have the Derrick and Gerald missions unlocked, as well as the second Mike Toreno United Liberty Paper mission. I also just unlocked Packie as a friend, as well as the chance to date Kate.

I also got Dwayne after killing off Playboy X, along with the bonus safehouse.

More on the friends in another post.

There are definitely a lot of quality-of-life improvements in GTA IV over the 3D Trilogy that I do appreciate. Some are minor: For example, you don't lose your weapons when you get Wasted anymore, and if you die on a mission, you get a text that allows you to start the mission over instantly. Those are really nice touches. Vigilante was a lot less a pain in the ass, since you don't have to go on streaks to complete the mission for your percentage, and you can even take breaks if you want. There's a lot less drudgery work to getting the 100%, which is quite the opposite of what I experienced in Bully or even the 3D GTAs. Finally, while imperfect, the subway functions as an incidental form of fast travel, as well as a great way to lose Wanted Levels.

Still, game has a lot of issues, too. First: After Algonquin opened up, I really started to see the performance issues. I have a computer that's top of the line from 2019 (Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2080 Ti, NVMe SSD on m.2, so on), and I get a lot of frame drops to sometimes even 30 frames per second. It's probably going to be at least another 5-10 years before computers can surpass Rockstar's terrible porting skills to deliver consistent high frame rates. Second...I can see why the (Girl) Friend System was unliked. I can understand, in a certain way, the mechanisms in place, and how it relates in real life: If you don't see your friends all that often, they're not going to be close to you at all. Same goes with your girlfriend. It's secretly a lesson on being social. Trouble is, they do this by basically making your friends needy as fuck. Practically all of them call at least once a day, if not every two days. And while I think I've reached the max number of friends at 5, that's STILL a lot to juggle. I've yet to even touch the girlfriends element outside of Michelle (though I'll probably meet Kate soon), even though supposedly maxing the optional girlfriends out offers benefits. It got really annoying as I was clearing out the pigeons in Algonquin, as the friends called me like a dozen or so times throughout the process. So yeah, not as good as I thought it would be. Ah well. I'll keep going regardless.
Last edited by thatguyif 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I have been playing the Retro Studios DKC games.

Returns is good, held back by lack of definitive edition. Any way you play this game will be flawed in one way or another. For me I chose waggle controls as my poison. They worked fine, the issue is the physical strain from doing it so much throughout the game and I just got tired of it. Anyways, it’s a solid, if a bit run of the mill, platformer that you can safely ignore because Tropical Freeze exists.

Returns Rank: B-

Tropical Freeze is fantastic, better than Returns in almost every way… except they added underwater levels and those are terrible. Also I dislike the bonus rooms, which was an issue in Returns but made even worse here. Still one of the best platformers out there, though, and an easy recommendation.

Tropical Freeze Rank: A
Last edited by 11clock 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Once again playing off of someone else's PS5 to go through Sonic Origins now. It's Sonic 1-3&K along with CD and a mission mode, all right. You have widescreen options for all four games which is nice. Losing out on Ice Cap & Launch Base Zone's original tunes is not as nice. Carnival Night's also been changed, but I don't think I'll ever like any rendition of that one. Ha. Anyway, platinum incoming the next time I play the thing since I've been quietly going through everything in the last couple of weeks and only have 3&K left to beat now.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I've also been playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I made it to world 5, and tbh I'm not sure if I will actually finish this game. While it's Kirby's first proper 3D outing, that's all it is. I enjoy the time trials, but the levels themselves are bland and painfully slow at times. Also, you have a ludicrous amount of health, even in Wild Mode, making the game too easy even for a Kirby game. It literally takes 8 hits to kill you, and you have very generous recovery time, in addition to the plethora of food everywhere. I recommend the 3DS Kirby entries over this any day of the week, especially Robobot.

Forgotten Land Rank: D+

EDIT: Also I don't like the bonus objectives. You aren't told what they are until you beat the level once, which is an artificial means to pad out playtime. I recommend just looking up the bonus objectives to save yourself from needless repeats. I also don't like that the amount of copy abilities was cut in half, and every ability's moveset was neutered to only have like... 1-2 attacks per.

EDIT 2: Also, the two difficulty settings. Why have multiple difficulties if they are only "Very Easy" and "Incredibly Easy"? Wild Mode is supposed to be the hard mode and yet it presents less of a challenge than most other Kirby games.

EDIT 3: One thing I would like to give praise to Forgotten Land for is the Try Again star after auto sections. More linear platformers with missable collectibles would really benefit from that. Looking at you, DKC.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

DOSBox stuff: I've decided to just migrate all of my games to a separate virtual disk image from the OSes so now I can also make a FreeDOS 1.3 image as well as an MS-DOS 6.22+WfW 3.11 image. (I'm not actually sure what I'm going to use the FreeDOS install image for but it comes with FreeDOOM which I haven't played that iwad yet so)

AWDS: Surrounded wasn't as hard as I remembered it being - though putting Colin+Sensei as Orange Star probably helped a lot with that. I actually had to restart For the Future (the mission where you're fighting a solo Von Bolt) due to a hardware crash but I was losing when I crashed anyway so it was going to be restarted anyway. Means to an End is... probably harder on Normal than on Hard just due to being locked into using Rachel on the main front? The main front itself isn't difficult (just rush the BH factories then clean up the south), it's just you don't get any control over the secondary front and that must be cleared in order to finish the mission (Grit would be an excellent choice here with his indirects, but once again you have to manage boats on the left side of the front and you want Colin for Boats for price control but you also want Colin on the main front so that you can spam neotanks forever and it's just aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa).

Pokemon Crystal FIR: Okay so I had to start a new game again because apparently the Item Rando doesn't currently play nice with Speedchoice's EXP Sharing options (Gen 6/7 replaces the Exp.Share with an Exp.All and Gen 8 just removes the give event entirely, and in both cases that incorrectly overwrote Mr. Pokemon's item - it's slated to be fixed in the next version but for now that means I can't actually amp the trainer levels in UPR the way I wanted to)

Persona 5 Royal - Clean Save Merciless: Madarame mission start! I wasn't going to immediately dive into the palace but there's no good excuse for me to raid Mementos while the palace is open and I actually need my Emperor Social Link ASAP for card duplication reasons. In terms of overworld areas to uncork I... think I can't do anything with that until after the whole Madarame scenario, which sucks because I need both Kichijoji and Jinbocho for Technicals (Kichijoji for the Billiards minigame which eventually guarantees that my Technicals will down the enemies, and Jinbocho for the chain of books that leads to Unlocking the Heart which unlocks more technical combos)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

11clock wrote: 1 year ago EDIT: Also I don't like the bonus objectives. You aren't told what they are until you beat the level once, which is an artificial means to pad out playtime. I recommend just looking up the bonus objectives to save yourself from needless repeats. I also don't like that the amount of copy abilities was cut in half, and every ability's moveset was neutered to only have like... 1-2 attacks per.
So I take it you don't like raocow's current run of Death Wish?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago
11clock wrote: 1 year ago EDIT: Also I don't like the bonus objectives. You aren't told what they are until you beat the level once, which is an artificial means to pad out playtime. I recommend just looking up the bonus objectives to save yourself from needless repeats. I also don't like that the amount of copy abilities was cut in half, and every ability's moveset was neutered to only have like... 1-2 attacks per.
I haven't been watching that one.

---

I just 100%ed Tropical Freeze. With that and Returns out of the way, next up is the Impossible Lair revisit... or would have been but I'm kind of DKCed out. Pacman World it is, then.

EDIT: Nevermind about Pacman World. I need something that has nothing to do with linear platforming as a palette cleanser.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

have decided out of boredom to dip our toesies in to the world of pvz2 mods after spending a lot of time roasting the hey out of pvz1 mods for being either just Memes and/or Oops! All Hardmodes!, specifically been messing with AltverZ. no clue if we're gonna stick around with it for particularly long but it's actually fairly nice all things considered. a few things are definitely a Video Game Mod Difficulty Moment™ (read: for some reason the anubis zombies became absolute fucking demons and we literally don't know why they did that. it makes the level with two endangered bonk choys a fucking SISYPHEAN TASK. also uhhh the second vasebreaker-gravebreaker-thing where we literally failed to break the final the grave until a few frame AFTER the game considers it "lost", where we actively SEE the animation of it crumbling, WHY. these 2 levels are just super fucking rude and for no reason) but for the most part it's actually fairly nice and feels a lot better than the absolute Trainwreck that is the actual pvz2.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

11clock wrote: 1 year ago

---

I just 100%ed Tropical Freeze. With that and Returns out of the way, next up is the Impossible Lair revisit... or would have been but I'm kind of DKCed out. Pacman World it is, then.

EDIT: Nevermind about Pacman World. I need something that has nothing to do with linear platforming as a palette cleanser.
Might I suggest one of the portable zeldas, probably Link's Awakening? That one's always a nice little romp.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago
11clock wrote: 1 year ago

---

Might I suggest one of the portable zeldas, probably Link's Awakening? That one's always a nice little romp.
I recently did a “No Heart Containers” run in the Link’s Awakening remake. I liked how this went, since it made exploration a lot more important as my only way to increase my max health. I could replay A Link Between Worlds with that challenge.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I tried Yoku's Island Express. This game quickly taught me that using pinball mechanics to explore is very annoying.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Replaying Dragon Quest Heroes just because I was bummed about my PS4 saves being lost for some games when I had a system error last year, and that was one of them. Kind of would rather play that one than the sequel that is item grind city, and I don't want to have another grindy game in January like last year's P5R. Oy.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

When you’re doing a challenge run in a Zelda game that bans heart containers, and the heart container spawns on top of you after beating the boss…
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

11clock wrote: 1 year ago When you’re doing a challenge run in a Zelda game that bans heart containers, and the heart container spawns on top of you after beating the boss…
this sounds like the funniest challenge, i might actually try it on one of the 2d zelmas

So far all I've played today was Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy VI - Past Sabin's vignette. Cyan and Gau are still super precious. Didn't really bother with getting any abilities for Gau beyond the ones he comes with already, tbh. A funny part was how I changed my row placement for the Phantom Train, but forgot to set it back for the purple fish, so I kept getting screwed by El Niño. At least I managed to get out a Suplex on the train, as is tradition.
Image Image