(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Finally completed Nevermore in The End is Nigh, now working my way through all of the game carts

Except the compilation ones cause screw that
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing a lot of Terraria's Journey's End update. It's easily the best update the game has had yet. Journey mode is a lot of fun to play and makes the tedious parts of the game less tedious. Want to get more fishing quests done? Mess with the time controls. Want to grind for a rare drop from an enemy? Crank the spawn rate up. Want to share a rare item with friends without losing it for yourself? Research it so you can spawn duplicates whenever you want. (REALLY useful for building projects in particular.) The amount of content, bugfixes, and general graphical improvements the game has gotten is pretty absurd too.

That said there are a few changes I disagree with. Most notably that the social slots for accessories are now heavily limited in what accessories can go there. This nerf serves no real function since most players that used it used it to just store fishing or building accessories when not using them. And now basically none of those can go there. The other nerfs are to things like the Daedalus Stormbow. It was a bit overpowered for how easy it is to get in hardmode but they've basically nerfed it into total uselessness. The only time I ever find it useful anymore is against the Destroyer. Anything else it tends to lack in both power and accuracy despite filling the screen with projectiles. (There's enough distance between the projectiles now that it's very common for enemies to just waltz through your fire and not get hit, despite not looking like they should.)

Also the first of the new bosses is insanely difficult, though I think that's partly due to us trying to take it on too early. I think it's intended to be fought between the mech bosses and Plantera. We fought it immediately after Destroyer instead, which for us is always the first of the mech bosses. Also I think the accessory it drops is broken. I've never seen any effect from it at all.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

After finishing Yakuza 0 a while back and it becoming one of my favorite games of all time, I've recently been playing the rest of the series. Just finished Kiwami and Kiwami 2, remakes of the first and second games (0 is a prequel). Neither reach the heights of 0, but that's an incredibly high bar to reach, so it's fine. Both were fun, but I did prefer Kiwami . The pacing was much better and I liked the characters more overall; Kiwami 2 seemed to have a lot of meandering around and it felt like they were trying to juggle too many factions and plot twists in the story. The battle system also seemed a little dumbed-down due to there only being one fighting style rather than three like in 0 and Kiwami.There were definitely some stand-out moments, though! Finishing some loose ends in Kiwami 2 before moving on to Yakuza 3 Remastered!
Nast

Post by Nast »

Beat Mega Man 3 (Wily Wars). I liked it, it's the most well-designed out of the first three games, in my opinion. The bosses are actually pretty fun to attempt with just the buster as they telegraph their attacks and have predictable patterns, while still being fairly challenging. The slide is a fantastic addition too, as is Rush.

My problem with this one is mostly that it's not very interesting or memorable, somehow? I played it twice and not much of it really stuck with me like Mega Man 2 did. It's also maybe a bit too easy - the endgame especially is a bit of a joke. Also the Doc Robot stages are sort of neat but they feel a bit like padding.

Also been replaying Sonic Adventure 2. As big of a Sonic fanboy as I am I don't actually have much experience with this one, plus I kinda disliked it on my first playthrough as a kid. Playing it now though, man, it's jank as hell but it's fun. It kind of reminds me of why I got into Sonic in the first place.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

NastCF wrote: 3 years agoMy problem with this one is mostly that it's not very interesting or memorable, somehow? I played it twice and not much of it really stuck with me like Mega Man 2 did. It's also maybe a bit too easy - the endgame especially is a bit of a joke. Also the Doc Robot stages are sort of neat but they feel a bit like padding.
I kind of think of that one as a big end to the trilogy. They take all the MM2 bosses and bring them back, but peeps might not be quick to recognize that the fortress bosses are basically the MM1 ones done over again, too! Yellow Devil, Mega Man clone, a water boss that's fought in segments. Sound familiar? But yeah, the majority of MM3 once you get the hang of it is pretty easy compared to the first couple games.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
How many Gym badges do you have now?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Finally beat the Moon Lord on master difficulty on Terraria. It was completely absurd and basically took me and a friend completely cheesing the fight to finally succeed. And I don't feel bad at all because I was really getting tired of getting one-shotted by the boss by a completely unavoidable laser from off-screen that was aimed directly at me. I had an easier time with the Empress of Light fight during the daytime so I could get the Terraprisma from her and that's a fight where getting hit deals like 50,000-60,000 damage. In a game where the max possible HP is 600.

Basically we cheesed it through stacking as much life regen as possible followed by defense, positioning my friend and I in two different spots, then whenever one got close to dying we'd slow down our attacks so the Moon Lord switched targets.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

jayScribble wrote: 3 years ago
raekuul wrote: 3 years ago I'm trying to finish Pokemon Black. For whatever reason it's hard for me to stay invested in this game long enough to see it through to the end.
How many Gym badges do you have now?
4 badges. I just got across the drawbridge and am currently lost on The Next Route looking for Team PETA grunts that probably aren't even here.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

raekuul wrote: 3 years ago 4 badges. I just got across the drawbridge and am currently lost on The Next Route looking for Team PETA grunts that probably aren't even here.
It's been years since I played the 5th Gen games, but I seem to recall that the Plasma Grunts for progress are in the storage/freezer area in the 5th gym town.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat Luxord and Xemnas in the KH3 DLC.
Luxord is okay... He's strange.
I finally unlocked the last two Data fights.

I picked Valkyria Chronicles 4 up again. I got to The Resistance mission which is really difficult.
There's probably just something I'm not seeing.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Mega Man X4 as both X and Zero once more. All hearts, sub tanks, ex tank obtained as both and armor obtained as X.

Currently re-doing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and I'm at 17% map completion. Currently at the Normal Castle.

I'm also at 145 moons in Super Mario Odyssey, at 4-4 in Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (saving after every stage because I'm doing the FDS version, I'll try to tone it down once I get better at the game, it's pretty fun) and 51 stars in Super Mario 64. Also S8-2 in Super Mario 3D Land, but I'm not sure if I'll go all the way on that one, it's so hard. I guess I can just grind for lives with a trick and just grind it out.

Lastly, I'm at Burn Daisy in Crusader of Centy.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Symphony of the Night is one of those games that are near-universally praised but I think it's a bit overrated. Like, I have a blast with the normal castle, but the inverted castle is just so boring, what with it being the exact same but upside down. Plus, I don't really like... Finale Toccata, I think it's called and since that plays in like 90% of the inverted castle... Not a great time. At least it isn't like Harmony of Dissonance where it's (almost) the exact same castle but with a different palette.

I haven't been playing too many games lately. I've been spending a lot of my free time drawing and writing, but when I have been video gaming, I've been focusing on a few things.

Final Fantasy III (NES) - It's rather amazing just how well this holds up, especially compared to the other two NES Final Fantasies. Mildly annoying how sometimes you are pretty much forced into certain jobs for certain fights but whatever, it's not a huge deal to me. Last I played, I just did the Sewers in Amur. Wasn't all that hard for Siglud, Shanam, Sain, and Duke. Definitely look forward to playing more, which I can't really say about my ongoing, very slow playthrough of NES FF1.

Saints Row - I had played 2-4 around 4 years ago now and I've had the first one but hardly played it. I decided to change that and I've been focusing on the Vice Kings missions for now. Rather annoying how to play more missions you have to earn respect, but unlike Saints Row 2, the only way to earn respect is to do activities and there are a number of rather unfun ones that understandably are not in later entries. Also, it's quite remarkable in that SR2 is better in literally every way. More customization (which goes away in 3 and 4,) actually good radio stations (The Mix, really), there's actually fine aim, there are other ways to get respect besides activities, and the list goes on. I am glad they repurposed the respect system in 3 and 4.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - I finished the Golden Deer route a few days ago and this game was a pleasant surprise. I did not enjoy Awakening that much, Fates... blegh, Echoes was a remake and not completely new, so my expectations were not too high with this one. I had heard that it was pretty much universally liked so that was a good sign. There are some more minor things that bother me, like how for conversations the background is just a 2D image and a rather poor looking one at that, and some classes being unexpectedly gender-locked, as well as the male gay options being... well, not great. Especially compared to the lesbian options. But, it's something. I'll do the other routes eventually, but not too crazy about having to do the Academy phase again.

Secret of Mana - (Re)playing this through the Collection of Mana on Switch. I like the graphics and music, the story is okay, but I don't like the menus at all. I was spoiled by Trials of Mana long ago and it's not easy for me to go back in this case. One thing I do like though is the ability to equip different weapon types on characters, which is sadly absent from Trials. Even if the boy will probably always use the sword because only he can use the Mana sword.

Whew, had a lot more to say than I though :P
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finally getting around to playing King of Cards. The general gameplay is pretty fun but I just do not care about this card game. Thankfully it seems to be optional. It was a big relief when I got to the final boss of the first world and it was just a normal boss fight and not some advanced card game AI
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Started Animal Crossing New Horizon. I'm actually enjoying this game far more than I thought I would. It's nice to sit down for 10 minutes and just muck about on my island. Though I feel like the lack of manuals causes you to miss stuff a lot. It took me over a week to realize I could get iron by hitting rocks with my shovel. Still, it's been good so far...

Also, nearly 9 months after getting it on release day, finally started playing Link's Awakening on the Switch. All the feels, man, all the feels :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Binged Crusader of Centy and beat it today! Really good game, even if the story is somewhat simple. It's a kids game, I guess.

Also beat Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (beat 8-4) on the Famicom Disk System and got 81 stars in Super Mario 64.
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off King of Cards. I liked most of the game but that final boss was really frustrating and not fun. My success seemed to be pretty dependent on RNG, and even then, most of the fight is just it filling the screen with projectiles while swinging its hands around wildly. I didn't even know what was hurting me most of the time. And it makes it really difficult when your primary method of attack is throwing yourself into it.

I'd probably have to play through all the games again to figure out how I'd rank them, but it's probably at the bottom 2 alongside Plague Knight. That's not to say they're bad by any means, they're still a lot of fun, but Shovel and Specter really nailed what I love about these games.

Kinda weird for the Shovel Knight project to be over! That seems to have been all Yacht Club Games was doing for the past 6 years, and it's nuts that I paid $11 for this game several years ago and got all this DLC for free. They could have just created new characters and tweaked a few things in the base Shovel Knight levels to make it work with the new mechanics, but they went all out with writing new stories, all new levels, rethinking the flow of the game, etc. Every DLC was like an entirely new game, I feel like I robbed them by getting so much content for free. So I'm excited to see what they come up with next.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been playing Phantasy Star Portable 2 since I was in the mood for a PSP game. It's fine, but nothing special, which is exactly what I expected.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to the second chapter (The Island Floating in the Sky, though reading the kanji and kana in the title card is really hard because its brown on brown on a grainy picture) of PoPoLoCrois Monogatari. It's in Japanese but I can read a bit. And what I can't read I'm looking up through Jisho's search kanji by radicals function (basically searching Kanji through the parts that compose them), also using DeepL and Rikaichamp to help me comprehend how some stuff is meant to be translated (though not relying on it all the time as I am trying to learn Japanese), for instance I didn't know ように could be "so that", "in order to". It's very fascinating. I am skimming over a bit of dialogue to speed things along though (the game can be dense in terms of dialogue), but I'm getting a good comprehension of the plot thus far.

So far Pietro is heading out to save his mom from the World of Darkness after getting back the Crown of Wisdom, which is the main plot of the game. I've played a bit ahead of the game before (up to Chapter 3), so I know you have to head to Godrif (to get to Canarisia) but I guess you could find out about that from the city folk. I'll talk to some folk tomorrow. Also got two of the souvenirs from Gami Gami City. The Gami Gami-kun is too expensive so I'll leave it for later when I can get better money from elsewhere. I've overleveled a bit in trying to get good armor, the souvenirs and preparing for the difficulties ahead (cutesy game but very hard). I'm like level 11-ish?

As for Wild ARMs 2, I've unlocked Level 2 Magic, gone through Quartly, met Kanon, explored Slayheim Castle,

fought Kanon

, went through Alchemic Plant, fought Antenora and

Brad apparently died

He lives so I'm not too worried

. Puzzles are interesting, even if I'm using a guide. I can appreciate the design. I'm currently heading to the Urartu Station to pick up Noel and head to the Emulator Zone (unrelated to the site of the same name).

As for Super Mario 64, Megami Tensei 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, I haven't touched them today.
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Got back into Witcher 3. I gave the game a shot back in January but only got like 5 hours in before losing interest. I think part of my issue was I put the game on hard difficulty and between that and the introduction of a ton of mechanics I wasn't really familiar with, I got overwhelmed. This time I just kept it on normal difficulty and it's kicking my ass a little less so I can focus on learning how the game works. Within a day I got back to where I finished off last time, and even a bit further.

Apparently I chose the wrong answer when I made a file and it asked if I wanted it to simulate a Witcher 2 save because I ended up in a conversation where some guy was asking me details about my interactions with a bunch of people I've never heard of before, so i was just stating random things about my past. Oh well
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Mega Man X7 today! Beat Soldier Stonekong, Tornado Tonion and Wind Crowrang thus far. Got 60 reploids (went on a small visit to Splash Warfly's stage to power up Axl's shot), one heart tank (I'm saving the rest for X since reploids also give you health ups, don't wanna use Zero), one Sub Tank (health) and the Ex Tank.

Got all the reploids in Stonekong, Tonion and Crowrang's stages too.

Also played a bit of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II again. Fused some demons, defeated Pazuzu, explored Shinjuku's underground city, grinded a bit but then decided fuck it, defeated Mammon, recruited Cerberus after getting the ID Code in Nakano (didn't bother doing the Devil Analyzer sidequest because I wasn't paying attention and I kind of got lost trying to figure out which kid was the lying demon and I couldn't find the answer online at the time, I'll try to go through it tomorrow though just for the sake of it), beat the Kourakuen tournament and got the Sun Pillar, went through the trial in Taishidou, beating Vritra and getting the Venus Pillar and now I've been v*red by Zaritan, gotta find the Saturn Pillar.
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat all the Data Organization in KH3.
It was great fun.
Very difficult.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Had no internet this afternoon so I played some Sonic the Hedgehog again and got all emeralds without needing help in Specials 4&5! Also beat the game of course.

Started Altered Beast and I'm currently trying to get through Stage 4 (Weretiger stage, I assume it's Neff's Temple?). I've learned the gator baby's pattern more or less but carelessness keeps striking me down.
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I got to Case 3 in Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. I haven't really been liking this game too much. Nayuta is a very boring prosecutor, the music is bland/reused from previous games, the name puns are extremely lazy, but I'm glad that at least

Blackquill comes back, as he was a highlight of the otherwise meh Dual Destinies

. Plus, I don't think the

eventual "Apollo's childhood' revelation was necessary. Like, cool, but who cares? Plus, it could also be read as a retcon of a detail from AA4, but w/e

In Saints Row, either I finished all the Vice Kings missions I can do at the moment or I'm blind. In any event, I started doing Westside Rollerz missions. Also, the subtitles needed someone to proofread them. Full of wrong "you're"s and lacking apostrophes for possessives, it's more minor stuff sure, but it certainly leaves a less than favorable impression. The game has its fair share of silly bugs, like when I was doing a mission, my car blew up right as a cutscene was starting, which should have killed me and did kill

Benjamin King

, but the game continued onward. It just skipped over any lines he should have had and when I did the last objective the mission abruptly ended. Oops. When I did the first Rollerz mission, for some reason the truck I was supposed to take just could not move. It was on totally flat road but I'd press the accelerate button and it just sat there. I'm not sure what happened there, I restarted and it worked properly.

I started Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on 3DS. I had played a little of Devil Summoner 1 port on PSP with a translation guide on LPArchive, but I didn't get very far. Soul Hackers is quite fun! The dungeon graphics are very similar to Persona 1 (which is welcome! I like P1 :) ) and the portraits remind me of Persona 2. SH is from around then so it makes sense.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Phantasy Star Portable 2. The game had a train level that was not fun, so that automatically means it was below average at best since there has never been an average game or better with a bad train level. Yep. It was close though (C- in my book), so good work almost proving that one wrong. Seriously though, don't do a bomb protection mission with enemies that don't really care if you're slashing or shooting at them. Final boss was also a thing, and too many bosses and late-game enemies could quickly chain hits on you to end a good run. That got a little tiring.

Still, it was okay. Just wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone, even as a holdover game.