(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago battle bakraid. i used to mock it for being easy back during my channer phase but it's a good game
go for garegga when you're feeling like torturing yourself (not bad either, just hostile)

if you do get the psikyo collections do go for gunbird 1&2, really good.
:pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: tetsu and aine :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride: :pride:
Thanks, I'll definitely check those out! I've heard great things about the Gunbird series so those will probably be the ones I tackle next!!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

finished plague of shadows, which still sucks
king of cards is better but it's kind of difficult to split the difference between how it's just two completely different games being played at the same time. the platforming i like a lot of the changes though. i suck at joustus unfortunately.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished off all the achievements in Nier:Automata which I think is about enough for me. I can't see myself coming back to encounter every rare-spawning enemy, catch every fish, etc. Also the special rank colosseum battle looks to be a nightmare that I don't really want to deal with, so I think I'm gonna end things here for now.

Final playtime:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Finished off all the achievements in Nier:Automata which I think is about enough for me. I can't see myself coming back to encounter every rare-spawning enemy, catch every fish, etc. Also the special rank colosseum battle looks to be a nightmare that I don't really want to deal with, so I think I'm gonna end things here for now.

Final playtime:
Big respect for

Ending Y

in particular, 'grats.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Big respect for

Ending Y

in particular, 'grats.
Thanks!
Honestly, it's not so much difficult as it is tedious. There's a lot of weapon upgrades that require materials that can't be purchased anywhere so they have to be farmed. The simple gadget in particular took a lot of mindlessly running this route while listening to podcasts.

The other kind of annoying achievement to get was this one where you basically just talk to a guy once you have 95% unit data filled. If I actually just waited to do that until later I would have had less trouble with it (i was at like 97% by the time I was done everything else), but I ended up having to do similar save/reload farming in various areas until some stupid rare spawn occurred and I could get their data. Oh well!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Finally beat Touhou 14, after taking a break from the game last October and about two days of trying now! It confirmed my belief that the game is pretty damn easy until the final boss, who is still probably the second hardest final boss in the series for me of the games I've played so far (6-14, 17). I still don't like Sukuna's fight very much, but it's finally done, and with two lives remaining! The joy I'm feeling is overwhelming. Now on to Touhou 15. I already previewed it, and... oh boy. This is gonna be something. This game's gonna live up to its reputation.

I also ordered the Psikyo Shooting Stars Bravo collection, so I'll hopefully be getting that soon to try out the Gunbird games! There's another shmup that I found on the eshop called AngerForce; sort of a steampunk-styled one with an upgrade system and multiple characters. It's not perfectly polished but I've been having fun with it!
Last edited by GenesisJames 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Conduct Together! looks like it's going to ask me for microtransactions but instead it's actually a really solid game that's ended up being one of the most brain-melting game experiences of my life. who woulda thought
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago Finally beat Touhou 14, after taking a break from the game last October and about two days of trying now!
Congratulation!! You finally finished Touhou 14 DDC. I tried Touhou 7 Normal 1cc but I got the Continue?? message at the last spell. Why does it have 6 spells?? This was very tragic.... Touhou 14 has many tough gimmicks. Player's hitbox becomes big and screen is flipped over.
Touhou 15!! I really*100 playing this. I did it on Pointdevice Mode. I got all spell cards except the last spell. I suggest playing Touhou 15 on Pointdevice Mode. Number of my retries: 1347.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Jongseok wrote: 4 years ago Congratulation!! You finally finished Touhou 14 DDC. I tried Touhou 7 Normal 1cc but I got the Continue?? message at the last spell. Why does it have 6 spells?? This was very tragic.... Touhou 14 has many tough gimmicks. Player's hitbox becomes big and screen is flipped over.
Touhou 15!! I really*100 playing this. I did it on Pointdevice Mode. I got all spell cards except the last spell. I suggest playing Touhou 15 on Pointdevice Mode. Number of my retries: 1347.
Ah, good times with Touhou 7. Probably tied with 13 for my favorite in the series. It's pretty hard near the end, but beating Yuyuko is SUPER satisfying! I definitely agree that Touhou 14 is a bit too gimmicky at times, especially Sukuna's fight. I'll probably do Touhou 15 on Pointdevice first so I can get the good ending and practice the game, then do a standard mode run once I'm more familiar with it.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I started a replay of Plague of Shadows after beating King of Cards. The exact opposite situation from Cyril. huh.

My memories of it were a bit fuzzy but I remember not liking it nearly as much as the main campaign. Playing it now... yeah, I'm still not a big fan. Controlling Plague Knight feels unwieldy; the system of choosing different ingredients for your bombs is neat but overly complicated for this kind of game, and I don't find many of the options very reliable to use; and it's pretty clear these levels were not designed with this playstyle in mind. The bosses in particular are really not fun in this version.

At least the writing's still good, and the thing Plague Knight and Mona have going is pretty cute. I don't hate the game so far, but yeah, definitely not my favorite.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Finally went back to Mighty Gunvolt Burst and finished Beck mode a few days ago. Starting Ekoro mode now.

To summarize, this game allows you to customize the traits of your weapons and of your character, and you have multiple slots for different configurations. You can also hook to another slot to use the weapon setup of that slot as your charged shot.

This time, with Beck, I decided to actually try taking advantage of having several slots. Beck has, in addition to the standard buster, a choice of eight different weapons

plus another unlockable later in the game

, and each weapon has a bit of difference in which customization attributes are available (e.g. some of them have fast speed in addition to average, some have option to roll on surfaces). So initially I set up one slot for each weapon type, to use as a charged shot, and I swapped around the charged shot as I played different stages.

But then I found out that there was a quick equip option. Meaning, there are buttons you can press to scroll through certain slots while you're playing the stages without even needing to pause, but this quick change works for the actual setup you equip, not the selection of the charged shot. So after I cleared the game and returned to stages for remaining items, I revised my configurations so that I would use the different slots for changing weapons (like in Megaman games) rather than for just trying out various charged shots.

Honestly, I feel that this game is made mainly for Beck. The choice of 8 bosses (the Mighty Numbers) are associated with eight elements, and you can unlock the boss's element as one of the rewards for beating a stage. These elements form a Megaman-style weakness chain for the boss fights. Beck's 8 weapons, also, resemble the Mighties and their elements - you don't have to match up the weapon with the corresponding element in the customization, but that seems to be what's intended. And being able to quick-change among different slots containing these different weapons really feels like playing a Megaman game. Other characters have their own abilities and their own customization options, but the game design doesn't fit together naturally like this the way it does for Beck.

So if you want to play what Mighty No. 9 was supposed to be, while tamping down expectations a bit, I would recommend this. It has many of the same bosses while bringing original mechanics.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Conduct Together is destroying me and I am in love. v stressful, so much flow when you actually make it work though. i just unlocked the trip to the moon, but that level has a goal of 250 passengers and that's just slightly terrifying so i'll try to beat the side worlds first.

why castle siege is such RNG BS for a 3-star though, i'll never understand.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago finished plague of shadows, which still sucks
king of cards is better but it's kind of difficult to split the difference between how it's just two completely different games being played at the same time. the platforming i like a lot of the changes though. i suck at joustus unfortunately.
update: king of cards is way too long and kind of exhausting. joustus is the main reason why but there feels like there's just too much game in general. oops.

current thoughts:
shovel > spectre > king > not playing any video game ever again > plague
Nast

Post by Nast »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago update: king of cards is way too long and kind of exhausting. joustus is the main reason why but there feels like there's just too much game in general. oops.
It's definitely the most content-heavy campaign, but I like that the non-linear level progression lets you decide how long you want it be, as you can go for every single stage or make a beeline for the Joustus Judge stages. Also for what it's worth, Joustus is completely optional
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Yesterday I got to the

Temple of Fiends revisit

in Final Fantasy (NES). Got all chests from the previous locations, fought

WarMech

and did the 15 Puzzle. Currently grinding to around Lv30 to prepare for

Chaos

took me like 8 real world minutes :aliceko:
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago update: king of cards is way too long and kind of exhausting. joustus is the main reason why but there feels like there's just too much game in general. oops.
It's definitely the most content-heavy campaign, but I like that the non-linear level progression lets you decide how long you want it be, as you can go for every single stage or make a beeline for the Joustus Judge stages. Also for what it's worth, Joustus is completely optional
hi my name is stubborn completionist
i have everything done (i think?) up to the last map already anyways why stop now
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I mentioned in the request grab-bag that I was playing Rain World, but something isn't clicking for me so I'm putting that on hold. I feel like it's one of those games I'd rather watch an LP of than actually play myself. I guess the main issue is I don't know what to do but I also don't like using guides.

So I moved back to the Yoshi's Island 100% file I had started about 6 months ago and never finished. Did all of World 4 today without too much issue. I did have to look up the location of a single red coin in 4-6 because it's a weird random instance of "throw yourself into a random hole even though even though there was no way (as far as I can tell) to know it's safe"
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago hi my name is stubborn completionist
i have everything done (i think?) up to the last map already anyways why stop now
So the reason you had a bad experience is because you let your own personal tendencies ruin the experience?

Don't get me wrong, Joustus does suck. I just think part of the reason the game sucks for you is self-inflicted
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm pretty sure that was the point of the post
Crow

Post by Crow »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago hi my name is stubborn completionist
So the reason you had a bad experience is because you let your own personal tendencies ruin the experience?

Don't get me wrong, Joustus does suck. I just think part of the reason the game sucks for you is self-inflicted
it is one of the ways that the game is intended to be played, and admitting that literally half of king of cards is bad is basically agreeing with my point

i'm very confused what point you think you're making here

anyways i'm done now and with all the merit medals so i'm probably never going to touch it again. lol @ collecting all the joustus cards
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Don't get me wrong, Joustus does suck.
actually i'm going to get you wrong because joustus rules
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Nast

Post by Nast »

I like Joustus but the problem is it only gets really interesting once you've amassed a good deck. The first few matches were painful for me when I had no good cards
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What card games are you playing?

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i can agree with that. it's slow to get going but the back half of joustus matches in the game were really fun for me.
except for CARDIA!!! FUCK TIME LIMITS ON TENSE DECISION-MAKING
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Holy cow Extra 5 is a thing. A skiing segment (which is always straight up memorization because a lot of the time you have to know to jump before a red coin is on the screen to get it) right into a helicopter segment where I don't even know what they had in mind for a route, so you basically need to dedicate a few suicide runs to find where all the collectibles are and figure out a way to get everything without running out of time because if you do it throws you straight into a pit.

By the end of my successful attempt I ran into a couple penguins that made me waste time on the final helicopter stretch and I had to skip out on the last flower. Thankfully I had exactly enough eggs to hover over the pit and back to kill a penguin and grab it.

https://twitter.com/Ashanmaril/status/1 ... 0120448000

What was even scarier was I accidentally was holding up on the d-pad for the final egg throw so I wasn't expecting the crosshair to start up and it messed up my angle, but thankfully the clouds are solid and it ricocheted off and hit the flower.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's the hardest level to get 100 in the game to me. If you did that and can suffer through one kind of boring level late, you've got it.

Playing Super Punch-Out!! between Animal Crossing sessions. Went 4-2 in all three circuits originally, but got perfect 4-0 runs my second time through. That unlocks the fourth one, and I'm currently getting wrecked by an old dude with a cane even though I know some of his tells. This might be where the official save states come into play because I don't know how I'm getting past him and the Bruiser brothers in one session at the moment.