(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

WOOOOOOO I finished off my Sekiro challenge run I mentioned starting in an earlier post. To reiterate, it was max NG+, bell demon active, no Kuro's charm -- basically the max difficulty you can crank the game to, and also if you don't perfectly deflect any attacks you take a fair amount of chip damage.

The last boss was a serious learning experience. It tooks several hours across 3 play sessions, and I really had to learn all the attack patterns since basically everything was a 1-hit kill. I kinda felt like giving up when I first got to it cause I never really learned to fight him properly, but after dozens of attempts I was able to get through the first couple phases of the fight without getting hit.

Feels good! I'd recommend if anyone has finished Sekiro and wants to spice up the challenge, at least playing through without Kuro's charm really changes up the game cause you actually have to learn enemy movesets.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Since Aggelos is currently on hiatus until the patch, let's go back to one of the series it's inspired by as I started up Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Pretty fun, and I already know it's going to be a longer ride than The Dragon's Trap was back when I played that.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I beat Pepsiman finally. I had gotten to the last level a few years ago but seeing the AVGN video about it motivated me to actually finish it.
Been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey lately. I like it a lot so far. I'm not really certain if I'll try to get a certain alignment ending but I'll probably just see what happens with the decisions I make.
Gotten a little further in Rhapsody. Haven't really felt like playing it however.
Almost done with the Inaba Pride Exhibit in Persona Q. On floor 4 with a little over half mapped. The music is pretty good which made the dungeon itself not as bad.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I conked out for like 12 hours thanks to an anti-anxiety pill I took but also I've been playing Gdleen, the first ever JRPG on the Super Famicom (before this it was just Actraiser and Drakkhen). No translation patch.

It's based on Digan no Maseki on the PC98 but it's not a direct port.
It's a pretty bad game but it's kinda chill
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Dumbass RPG Report Stardate May 15th, 2019

Gdleen
I made it to Edna (Edona?) in Gdleen and yeah, it's still pretty bad. I wish I knew better Japanese but I can get some of the barebones plot either way. The game is very insistent on "tell, don't show" and it suffers for it. Like Caron (Kalon? Karon?) introduces you to Lude (Roode?) in the Mayorl Campsite and instead of like showing you Lude walking through the medic tent's entrance and towards you he just. Materializes between Ryuu and Caron. It's ridiculous.

There's also a stakeout where you and Phana are taken prisoners to the Bavariss Campsite and it's like, two Bavariss soldiers surround you whilst you're on the stairs. Meanwhile a whole scene about Ryuu trying to attack them with his laser gun but they use Phana as a hostage to get him to lower his gun so they can allow themselves to get captured goes on in the dialogue window, as they just stand there doing nothing in the world map. It's like I'm reading someone's RP chat logs. This is 1991, Seta.

They later managed to get an animation of a Bavariss soldier running by and taking Phana at the entrance of the Gavanar Shrine in Lulua so that's a plus. Currently we're heading to Coldarn to find a way to get back home at the advice of Caron after clearing the Shrine at Lulua from Bavariss' forces, but also there's a subplot about people turning into Zuhl's (Zuul?) monsters after death instead of reaching the afterlife and meeting Gavanar or something? The plot is dumb or I'm too stupid to translate it properly.

Basically we're going to the Ruins of Grande to find Tao Ho, the permanent third party member because I have no idea, I skipped past the dialogue by accident like a wiener.

Taking a break for now before going to read the dialogue in the Gavanar Shrine in Edna and doing Ruins of Grande.

Here's a review of the game from 2017 that honestly echoes my thoughts on it so far.
Time will tell if Gideon will ever finish his translation patch on it.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Started Mystic Quest again. It's a lot less dull when you're just focusing on the shitposty script instead of the kinda meh gameplay.
A lot of the game's forgiveness kinda relies on the ability to restart battles, I feel. The lack of random encounters is kind of a breath of fresh air now, compared to when I first played it.

Got the Crystal of Earth, got the Crystal of Water, heading to the Mines in Fireburg to help Reuben's dad, did all the Battlefields so far.
It's not too bad, thinking about it again. Lv20.

Hopefully will finish it tonight.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I beat Mystic Quest and in retrospect it's not the worst thing ever?

I was kind of comparing it to bigger RPGs that introduced a lot of people to console RPGs and the matter of the fact is, this isn't trying to be a big name RPG. This is a smaller, B-team RPG. And that's Okay. This game... Is Okay. The script, the music and the basic puzzle solving played a big part in making this game fun and memorable.

It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's Square. Once (one of the) makers of the world's greatest video games.

i was gonna post the edgehog photoshop i made some years back once again but the search engine for talkhaus just sucks ass now
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What game are you playing?

Post by Awoo »

Eh, Mystic Quest has to be one of the most mindless RPGs I've ever played. It's definitely not the worst RPG ever made, it's very playable, but it's super easy and can be beaten very casually.
That said, it's still a shame they haven't really ported it to much anything since its initial release. It's a super introduction to RPGs and/or video games for a younger child for sure though. I could definitely see showing it to my nephews.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Just finished 46 Okunen Monogatari:the Shinkaron for PC-98 and boy, that was a weird game. It's the predecessor to E.V.O.: Search for Eden for SNES and has a lot of similarities while also having a lot of differences.

It was really interesting though to see where the SNES game comes from. Have some pictures:

Yes it is an oldschool rpg, so with lots of grinding.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Griflion wrote: 4 years agoJust finished 46 Okunen Monogatari:the Shinkaron for PC-98 and boy, that was a weird game. It's the predecessor to E.V.O.: Search for Eden for SNES and has a lot of similarities while also having a lot of differences.

It was really interesting though to see where the SNES game comes from. Have some pictures:

Yes it is an oldschool rpg, so with lots of grinding.
E.V.O needs a sequel. It was an odd and a bit clunky game but it was quite intriguing nonetheless.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Griflion wrote: 4 years ago
E.V.O needs a sequel. It was an odd and a bit clunky game but it was quite intriguing nonetheless.
Just like the predecessor :D
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Aggelos which was pretty good, now working on Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. This one looks and plays even better.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started KH2 because i'm apparently just playing through the entire series now, okay
5 hours in and only just got to the first disney world
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

twilight town is a hilarious game design decision but also only takes like an afternoon to finish so it's not too much of an issue
also sets up a nice plot thread for later games to explore

i still need to continue beast's castle (shan yu is cute)

im replaying final flanders killer 7 and i made it to ju-on harbor whilst forgetting to get naruto in the forest
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom gets a pretty good recommendation from me. Fun game with a lot of stuff hidden about thanks to having six playable forms. I'll admit to using a guide to get to 100% quickly, but who cares? I had a good time, and that's all that matters.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat Yakuza Kiwami.
A pretty fun game, and the final boss was great, even if I abused Tiger Drop.
It's too bad the boss before it is not great.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

Oh! I see some Mystic Quest love, perhaps?! I know it's not in the same tier as Chrono Trigger or Soul Blazer, but I absolutely love Mystic Quest, and it's always made me sad that people stomp on it like it's not worth their time or attention.

And someone played 46 Okunen Monogatari! I was so excited when the fan translation finished, but boy was it a tough game to finish, that final boss was awful. Not unlike the final boss in E.V.O., actually, but I love that series dearly and wish it could get some more care.

Anyways, recently I've been my usual self and being torn between like a dozen games at once. I was playing Fire Emblem Awakening, but after getting dissatisfied with with amount of grinding I was having to do (which would cost resources and such) I kinda dropped it in favour of something I've been enjoying a lot more: Dragon Quest V on the NDS. Now that game has captivated me pretty hard.

I am also dabbling in some Azur Lane on the side, when I feel like it, cause it's nice to have a mobile game you can return to when you have time to kill or want something to help you unwind with before bed. Then there's Baba is You, which I kinda put down for a while cause I needed to step away from it, but unlike FEA I definitely wanna return to it in a while. Looking forwards to starting up VA-11 Hall-A when I have more solid time to sit and enjoy that story, too.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'm at wutai in ff7, doing the missing taralians quest in romancing saga 1 and just doing random bullshit in ultima 1
Image Image
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

last few games ive played are KH3(liked it quite a bit, but not as much as KH 1/2/birth by sleep), played that like in like march/april, then i've played some zelda 1 special edition on the switch online emulation system(i've completed the vanilla version, but i enjoy this more casual experience starting with a lot of things to make the game easier), mostly been playing an MMO fan-server of tibia called archlight
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Got to Chapter 4 in The Legend of Heroes III: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch. Pretty meh but still better than A Tear of Vermilion partially because PofMW actually has a decent English translation and the premise of this game is a little more interesting to me. Speaking of TLoH, I really need to continue Trails in the Sky FC but I guess I'm just doomed to spend years on finishing the dang game.

Made it to the Lost Forest in Megami Ibunroku Persona. Having played this game a few times beforehand has definitely helped make this playthrough more possible but since I ain't good with katakana I need to look stuff up occasionally. Oh well. Also, once upon a time I beat Hypnos Tower in the Snow Queen chapter but I haven't felt like attempting Nemesis Tower at all.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 4 years ago Got to Chapter 4 in The Legend of Heroes III: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch. Pretty meh but still better than A Tear of Vermilion partially because PofMW actually has a decent English translation and the premise of this game is a little more interesting to me.
i've thought about playing the pc (pc98 and windows) versions of LoH3-5 for purism's sake, as the PSP version renders it into an extremely basic game with a janky translation and a generic combat system rather than the real time strategy employed in the originals, but translating shit requires a lot of spoons (mental real estate) out of me which is why im still taking a break from gdleen and just attempting to play games in japanese in general
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: i've thought about playing the pc (pc98 and windows) versions of LoH3-5 for purism's sake, as the PSP version renders it into an extremely basic game with a janky translation and a generic combat system rather than the real time strategy employed in the originals
I kind of want to try the original versions of TLoH 3-5. I've heard that about the battle system and it sounds cool. I'm not entirely sure I would play them as I try not to replay games but dang there are some games I never get tired of, not to mention I'd have to obtain them in some way which would probably require some searching. But maybe not.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im sad so i was playing sonic adventure (dreamcast version).

beat sonic, tails, knuckles and amy over the span of three days.
time for my best friend and gamma after this

if you insult big the cat in front of me i will fucking shoot you
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I love big the cat
He's great

I took a break from Yakuza Kiwami 2 to get Dragon's Dogma

I really like the combat
Bows are very fun so far
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Team Sonic Racing, although I've got a lot of stuff left to do if I want to 100% it. Still, it's pretty fun. It plays more like a sequel to the original if Transformed didn't exist. Fun game with some decent challenge, but it also feels like they had to rush this one out the door with the whole story presentation. Solid game.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've been playing Ninja Gaiden today. I previously had tried it out on an emulator but gave up pretty fast. Today I got to what I assume is the final stage but my god they're padding out the difficulty just by making you redo a bunch of garbage all over. The game is broken into acts, and each act is broken into a few levels. Those individual levels have a checkpoint at the beginning of every new screen, and if you die you go back to the beginning of the screen you're on, but if you game over you go back to the beginning of the level. But for some reason if you get all the way to the end and die at the boss, it kicks you all the way back to the beginning of the act, even if you have lives. The bosses are already terrible in that they're either incredibly easy like the first few, or just spam the screen with a thousand projectiles that you can't dodge. I finally got past the boss of this act but then they pull a fast one and make you fight another bullshit boss that spams a thousand projectiles, and after dying and seeing that I have to do the whole act over again I ragequit.

I suppose this is kind of the difficulty a lot of NES games relied on back in the day. They didn't want people to beat the game in a few hours like I'm trying to do, so instead they just make you have to memorize levels (I didn't even mention the enemy spam and gotcha flying enemies over pits you can't see until you jump, but yes that's there too) to artificially extend the amount of time required to beat the game. It's a bit annoying cause I like a lot of what this game does but I can't stand being forced to redo stuff over and over again every time I die.