(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

Okay, so I finished Mighty No 9.
Long rambly thoughts:
I couldn't figure out the final boss' weakness so I smashed my face against it for probably over an hour total, redoing the level 4 or 5 times until the RNG gods smiled upon me and I finally got to it with a heal.
I had no issues with the first phase after a while. But the flower thing has no weakness as far as I could tell. My first instinct was to use the electric power to hurt all the body pieces at once, but it was so weak I couldn't get it down to a low enough health to dash through by the time it closed me in between it and the wall. The best method I finally found was to use the fire explosion thing, which has a large enough AOE to hit most, if not all the segments, and then I could switch back to my gun and just hammer away in his face. I still had to tank a lot of damage and use my heal (I actually had 2 heals for some reason, and still have no idea where heals come from because the game wants you to read like 50 tutorials in the menu) but managed to take him down eventually.
I actually didn't mind most of the bosses too much. It was kinda fun to learn their attack patterns and how to dodge them. Maybe they're just easier than Mega Man, but in MM games I usually just spam them with their weakness until they're down, but this game I actually kinda had to learn their patterns and used my regular gun for several of them.
The game also suffers from the lives system, which is just so antiquated and unacceptable to still be using these days. Redoing stages multiple times just isn't fun. If I didn't beat a boss on my first try, the most attempts a stage took me was usually 2 shots, but as I mentioned, the final stage I had to do like 4 or 5 times because the second phase of the final boss does quite a bit of damage and is really hard to dodge. The first time I got to him I couldn't even switch weapons before he killed me. And if I ever got a game over and on my reattempt at the stage, died at the beginning of the level, I'd always just quit out and restart to restore my lives because there's no point in going on with 1 less life, since I need them all to learn the boss. And the stage starts with an incredibly long, incredibly boring fight against a bunch of slowly-spawning cubes I had to do like 10 times total probably. The game really need some kind of non-lives death punishment system. Shovel Knight came up with a clever one.
More games need to do it too.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Crash Bandicoot 2 is done except for the newly added time trials. I've done a handful of those. I might try for the platinum in this one, but I think I'd also rather just move on to Warped for the time being and cap off the remastered trilogy here.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Huh, 2 has time trials in remastered? Does it work the same as in Warped?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The story mode fight between Devil Kazuya and Akuma in Tekken 7 is freaking bullshit. I found the fight between Heihachi and

Devil Kazumi

to be infuriating as hell but at least it was doable. And most of the difficulty there came from Heihachi sucking. Devil Kazuya is a fine character in comparison even if he's not my specialty. Akuma was just a cheap asshat. He constantly teleports around. Usually just a few frames before you'd land a blow. And unlike you, who would be recovering from throwing a hit, he can immediately attack afterwards. And you can't block or dodge it because you're still in the middle of throwing a hit.

That Heihachi fight took me around a dozen fights on the lowest difficulty. Devil Kazuya vs. Akuma took me something like 40-50. And even worse is that when you beat him he gets to use his super move for free which is undodgeable and unblockable. I only even realized that Kazuya gets a free super move as well the last time I reached that part of the fight before beating him. (And I'd only even reach that part of the fight about one out of 6-7 tries or so if I was lucky.)

Finished all the storyline now though, even if it was on the lowest difficulty due to that Heihachi fight and this Akuma fight (the rest were mostly doable, even though some of the other Heihachi fights were pretty awful themselves), and all the character episodes. I have to wonder if I'm not missing something though. From my understanding this is supposed to be the final game in the series yet the story doesn't really quite conclude. It could conclude easily enough but it only got like half way there by the end of story mode.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago Huh, 2 has time trials in remastered? Does it work the same as in Warped?
Yeah. 1 and 2 in this remaster have time trials for extra trophy goals. 1 doesn't have the Speed Shoes upgrade, but 2 does. Vicarious Visions did a pretty good job with implementing them here. You can tell the whole deal works better in 2 than it does 1, though, but you already know my opinion on the first two games with all the posts I've made on them. Started up Warped tonight, too. It's still fun.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Had to fly through most of Warped to be able to provide a decent review for a friend since he was getting bogged down with them near the end of the month. I have to say, it's just like I remembered with just a few odd changes. The platforming is some of the best in the series, but at the same time, there are too many levels that take you away from it. The jet ski is the big one. It just feels more off now. It's too loose on turns, but also too tight when going straight ahead. Still, I like the game. It's just not as much pure platforming action as I'd like.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Finally get off my ass and people come start mercilessly kicking it.
Imageohmanohboy
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

playing ratchet - a crack in time. Breaks the formula of the past few games just enough to make it feel more fresh than tools of destruction but the main campaign also feels really streamlined and the levels a bit too linear. still enjoying it a lot though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:

-Completed Isaac's sticky note, glad I never have to play as him again
-Defeated Delirium as Samson, and I forgot that he unlocks a really good trinket
-Most importantly, I finally unlocked The Lost. If it hadn't been for the fact that I got 2 of the Fortune Machine Super Secret Rooms in a row as Cain, I probably wouldn't have unlocked him

Side Note/ How does one defeat Ultra Greedier without an explosion resistant item, because all the times I've beaten him, I've either broken the game, or gotten pyromaniac

EDIT: I also finally unlocked the Cracked Crown, which is something I never thought I would do tbh

EDIT EDIT: I beat greed mode as The Lost today, without Holy Mantle, which I am extremely happy over. The only reason I won though I because of Tech X and Dead Cat, but still!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So I started up The Only Traitor DLC for The Final Station today, and ended up finishing it in 1 sitting. Totally recommend if you're in to 2D Survival Adventure games.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I finished off the Crash Bandicoot remaster trilogy this weekend. Got a couple of platinums thanks to 2 and Warped and will let 1 go wallow in its own mediocrity. Guess it's back to Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice before Mania comes out.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I recently bought Mega Man Legacy Collection again, this time on 3DS because I wanted a physical copy (I previously had owned/played the PC version on Steam).

So I decided to go through the first Mega Man game and beat it without the pause-buffer trick for I think my first time. I've always cheesed fights like Ice Man, Yellow Devil, and the final boss by using Elec Man's ability and then pausing/unpausing to get multiple hits from a single shot. Which is kinda cheap, so I decided to do it for real this time and it wasn't that bad.

I was actually surprised how easy the final boss is even without the trick. Yellow Devil was a pretty close fight because there's these 2 low-blobs that come after you, one after the next, and you need to kinda jump preemptively to go over the first, hit the ground, and get your second jump in before the second blob comes. And I was almost dead but finally managed to dodge the last 3 cycles without getting hit, which was neat.

Oh, also you have to use the D-pad. Mega Man was not made for a joystick/circle pad.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Since I'm in a Mega Man mood with Legacy Collection 2 coming out in a few days (FINALLY PC ports of 9 and 10 <3 ), I decided to do a run through of Mega Man 2. Just like Mega Man 1, I've gotten pretty comfortable with this game in the series (probably my most beaten of any of them) so I decided to challenge myself to not use any boss items for bosses, except when completely necessary (specifically, the stupid crash bomb puzzle boss, and alien Wily). The boss rush was a tad stressful, because I came in loaded up on E-tanks, and I knew if I got a game over there, I'd basically be screwed since I had no way of getting those again, and I kinda needed them with how bad I am at some bosses. Thankfully managed to pull through though, and it was fun.

edit: Also, I want to say I really appreciate the work Digital Eclipse did with Legacy Collection. I never even really went into the Museum and Gallery sections of Legacy Collection until now, but they're absolutely CRAMMED with concept art, unused content, etc. I recently watched this GDC talk from Frank Cifaldi of Digital Eclipse where he talks about the archiving of games for long-term enjoyment. It's kinda long, but a really good watch.
Apparently Digital Eclipse isn't doing Legacy Collection 2, and Capcom is just handling it in-house. I hope they put the time and effort into all the extras that DE did. I'm already a tad disappointed we're not getting an official, localized "SNES" version of Mega Man & Bass finally (a la Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic), and they're using the PlayStation version of Mega Man 8 instead of the Saturn version with the extra content.

edit2: Want to avoid triple posting but I just did Mega Man 5 buster only. This time I tried to do it for the whole game, so items like E Tanks that I could have gotten with special weapons/Rush, I didn't get. The only times I used special weapons were the mandatory usages of Rush Coil/Jet or the super arrow since they make some jumps too high/far to make on your own. But other than that, did all of it buster only.
I really like a lot of the level design of Mega Man 5. I find that the music is mostly forgettable, but some bosses and stages are super fun. I particularly like Gravity Man's and Star Man's stages. In terms of difficulty, the game's pretty easy as a whole. Especially since it seems like someone screwed up the RNG and 1-up drops became just as common as little health drops and everything else. But I feel like Capcom had kinda figured out bosses at this point. They all generally feel more fair, like you actually have to learn a pattern, as opposed to earlier MM games where some bosses were just straight up cheap/luck (like Quick Man, for example) and you had to just tank damage and out-DPS them. Interestingly, I found the hardest boss to be the robot at the end of the first Proto Man stage. He kinda just throws himself into you like Flash Man from Mega Man 2, which I find quite cheap. But the rest of the bosses I never really had any issues with. Good game though, probably in my top 4 of the 10 main classic games.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Alright I guess I'm triple-posting my Mega Man garbage anyway because nobody else is using this thread.
Did my first playthrough of Mega Man 9 in quite a while now that Legacy Collection 2 is out. Turns out I still basically have the entire game memorized from like 8 years ago.
Final playtime:
It actually would have been a deathless run if not for one stupid mistake. I can't remember where it was, but it wasn't even a tough section. I just messed up an input or something. There's also something really weird about Legacy Collection 2. You unlock all the built-in achievements within Mega Man 9, but as far as I can tell there's no achievement list in any of the menus? I don't know why they would have removed that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My bad for not posting in here. I thought I broke up your string earlier. Now I'll just use this moment to say that Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is the most "this is a game" game I've played in a while. I mean, it's passable, but it also has so many different things in here that are adequate and not exceptional outside of one thing.

Case in point, you have your normal stages where you're collecting now non-mandatory parts if you take side paths. But there are also race stages, more boss fights (the original only had one), revamped tunnel levels, a submarine stage, and a boat race... It doesn't make sense why most of these are here. They just are. The exception's that there are areas called challenge rooms in normal levels. Find them, and you get some of the most fun platforming in the game. I wish the challenge levels were the game's main difficulty because I just feel like I'm wandering through it for the sake of it at this point.

Man, that's a lot of writing for what's basically a D+ game. Sonic Mania's out next week, all!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoAlright I guess I'm triple-posting my Mega Man garbage anyway because nobody else is using this thread.
What sort of weirdo posts in threads on a forum??
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My bro also picked up Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, so I tried it out with some of the challenges. Real quick question, can you remap buttons in those? Having the special weapon button as circle instead of triangle is so wrong. Managed to do a couple gold rank boss rushes (8 & 9) and also did a few of the stage remix things. Why I didn't play 10, the one I like the most of those four, is a mystery to me.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update: Matt's descent into insanity edition

I now only need a few more things for the Lost, specifically,

Greedier mode, Hush, Mega Satan, and Delirium

I only beat boss rush because of Mom's knife, and "I'm Drowsy"

Wish me luck with my other stick note stamps, I swear I'll go insane during this.
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago My bro also picked up Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, so I tried it out with some of the challenges. Real quick question, can you remap buttons in those? Having the special weapon button as circle instead of triangle is so wrong. Managed to do a couple gold rank boss rushes (8 & 9) and also did a few of the stage remix things. Why I didn't play 10, the one I like the most of those four, is a mystery to me.
There's something really screwy about the button config in that game. I don't know about the PS4 version, but the PC version has been annoying in terms of setting up controller inputs.
I like to play my Mega Man games with an actual NES controller, I configure it to show up as keyboard input with JoyToKey and then just set up the applicable buttons in-game. But I can't find a good setup where I can use the controller exclusively for input. The enter/return key is basically your "okay" button, so it's used for selecting the boss you want, moving forward dialogue in cutscenes, etc. It's also non-remappable for some reason. So it seems obvious to set that up as my start button. But it's NOT the same as your weapon select key, which is remappable, W by default. So I made select my enter button, and start my W key because I always hit start to select a weapon. This is a bit awkward outside of gameplay, because to choose a robot master, move forward in dialogue, etc. I have to use the select button, but whatever. But then there's another separate key used for... I'm not really sure what? In Mega Man 10 it's the menu button on the boss select screen. It was the minus button on the Wii version. But it's the Tab key in this. And you can't use the jump or shoot buttons to move cutscene dialogue forward for some reason, and I don't think that was the case in the original 9/10 games. So, somehow they've like, separated out buttons into a big mess. I eventually gave up and I basically just use my keyboard for navigation sometimes.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoI configure it to show up as keyboard input with JoyToKey
Joy2Key lets you bind multiple keys to the same button. You could always do something like bind enter to your A/B button on top of whatever you normally bind to it.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Been streaming Axiom verge. I like it so far, but I think the enemies should drop health more often in the early stages of the game.
That crazy voice dude
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Bean wrote: Yeah. 1 and 2 in this remaster have time trials for extra trophy goals.
I remember when I did an all-platinum run on the original version of Warped, the levels (box placement, enemy placement and global timing) were heavily optimized for a platinum speedrun, if one could keep up the pace. did it feel like that in the remaster?
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years agoI configure it to show up as keyboard input with JoyToKey
Joy2Key lets you bind multiple keys to the same button. You could always do something like bind enter to your A/B button on top of whatever you normally bind to it.
I did try that at one point, but if 2 buttons do 2 conflicting actions, it can mess things up. I'm too lazy to cross reference what every key does to my controller and make sure there aren't conflicting inputs, because different keys do different things in different menus. It's too much of a hassle.
Thanks though
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoI did try that at one point, but if 2 buttons do 2 conflicting actions, it can mess things up. I'm too lazy to cross reference what every key does to my controller and make sure there aren't conflicting inputs, because different keys do different things in different menus. It's too much of a hassle.
Thanks though
Ah, that'd definitely be annoying. Dunno why devs can't just keep things consistent. I'm a shit programmer and even I'm capable of that.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Did my second ever run through Mega Man 7 and I still don't care for it.
Too much of that game is just awkward and unbalanced. The game is either way too easy and feels like it's holding your hand, or it's just kind of aggravating. The platforming isn't fun with the giant clunky sprites, bullets move too slow on the screen, secrets make no sense, Rush is garbage, bosses aren't that interesting, etc. Also the Wily Capsule is the worst in the series.

Next up on the list is Mega Man 8, which I'm not sure if I've ever beaten before. I played it on Anniversary Collection, but don't recall finishing it. I don't recall liking it much either, though.