(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

camwoodstock wrote: 11 months agoWe were very tempted to try to set up a Windows 3.1 VM and see if I could get sound to work though, since it's apparently a game made FOR Windows 3.1.
If you want, I have a Win 3.11 hdd image ready to go (it was set up using dosbox-x so I'd also have to send the conf file, plus it's a 2GB image so I can't just send it via forum post)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

raekuul wrote: 11 months ago
camwoodstock wrote: 11 months agoWe were very tempted to try to set up a Windows 3.1 VM and see if I could get sound to work though, since it's apparently a game made FOR Windows 3.1.
If you want, I have a Win 3.11 hdd image ready to go (it was set up using dosbox-x so I'd also have to send the conf file, plus it's a 2GB image so I can't just send it via forum post)
oh we were thinking just like, idk, a virtualbox machine, but also we have no idea how complex it is to set up windows 3.1 VMs? you can DM us the deets if you're so inclined tho
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 11 months ago
raekuul wrote: 11 months ago If you want, I have a Win 3.11 hdd image ready to go (it was set up using dosbox-x so I'd also have to send the conf file, plus it's a 2GB image so I can't just send it via forum post)
oh we were thinking just like, idk, a virtualbox machine, but also we have no idea how complex it is to set up windows 3.1 VMs? you can DM us the deets if you're so inclined tho
personally i just use pcem
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Lunar: Silver Star Story - uggghhhh i played this a few days ago and finished Damon's Spire. Super cute game when Working Designs decides to not be edgy as shit. But then the people's sprites in god forsaken Reza, Michigan reminded me of RPG Maker 2000/3's super cute chibis and then I got brainworms and now I'm making random stuff in RPG Maker because I dunno. Map making fun. Scripting and "eventing" pseudocoding fun. I have Brain Damage
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

camwoodstock wrote: 11 months ago
raekuul wrote: 11 months ago
It's not super difficult? But I've done it enough times that I just kind of sidestep the hard parts now so I'm not a good judge of the difficulty any more (officially the hardest part is legally obtaining install media because Microsoft aren't the ones who unleashed 3 onwards on the archival scene, but if you've already got a VM set up then presumably you have access to install media). There's actually a guide online for setting up a windows hdd in dosbox-x.

There's also just... a windows 3 preinstall folder you can download for regular dosbox (I think it's on VOGONS but I haven't used it in a long-ass time), but if you need certain windows features like the Win32 thunking layer or the share.exe TSR you'll need dosbox-x and its ability to boot from a hdd image.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

RPG Maker (mostly 2k3 Steam) - actually NOT a game but forgive me father for We Back In The Mine

i almost linked to a cookie☆ mad bc its also based on that usher song but it has explicit footage excerpts in it as they are wont to do
Image Image
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Matthew_Coco »

More Chrono Trigger and Alcahest. Going fairly smoothly.

Also been playing Cocoron for the NES. What an interesting game! Apparently, the company Takeru (who made this game) also made Little Samson which I felt might have been the case but wasn't sure until I checked.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Matthew_Coco wrote: 11 months ago Cocoron
cocoron is very funny because apparently megaman 1&2's director* also directed this before retiring in the early 1990s

thank megaman 4 small things :mgmn:

cocoron owns and i actually still need to start it sometime, it's that specific kind of anime scrimblo game im super into like gimmick, kirby and hebereke/ufouria. like a lot of peeps i found out about it due to eversion

* - and partial creator of megaman, like 65% compared to inafune's 35%, inafune mostly just created the detailed character artwork from the sprite graphic, which is no slouch, but most of the credit does belong to akira kitamura for it. i actually don't hate inafune but he was a complete idiot during the whole appeal to the west and comcept sagas, total clownshoes
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Played more Chrono Trigger and got through "the death scene". :kood:

Ngl I spoiled the plot of Chrono Trigger for myself years ago but it still hits me witnessing some emotional scenes in that game.
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Beat Cocoron. It's fine. Not a super great game, but good enough as indicated by the fact that I dedicated multiple sessions to it.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

now play eversion

BN2: In the back half of Mother Computer. I pulled HeatCustom which is... eh. Its Custom which is good but I'm not a fan of Heat styles (even if this means I get to abuse magma panels)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms (NES) - Learning how to play the game with the help of this site (JP warning) and it's going pretty well, actually. I think this site is where I found the Spectral Force 2 guide I used for Spectral Force 1 as well? Fake Edit: Nevermind it wasn't.

Doing scenario 1 with Cao Cao, only have State 7 under my control but here's its current stats:
Castles 4
Horses 63
Land Value 87
Flood Probability 0 (I don't trust this to be a flat 0)
Population 182400
Loyalty 97
Generals 11
Men 16816
Free Generals 0

General Stats:

Code: Select all

Loyal    Pwr      IQ    Men
Cao Cao       --       97       97    6270
Xiahou Dun    82       89       64    2942
Xiahou Yuan   87       92       60    1990
Cao Ren       89       56       64    1929
Cao Hong      95       48       29    620
Cao Ang       99       61       59    332
Gou Yu        92       24       96    860
Cao Chun      92       65       25    1084
Hou Cheng     77       81       46    359
Guo Jia       26       19       97    140
Lu Qian       37       73       25    290
Gonna work on building up my manpower before taking over another state, and increasing Hou Cheng, Guo Jia and Lu Qian's Loyalty with cash money gifts. The people's loyalty is pretty high enough, land value and flood prevention's doing okay. I might train my soldiers if Guo Jia feels it's a good enough idea. IQ raising with books isn't important for now.

As for RPGs? I guess I dreamt about Little Shaker on PC. Looks super cute, and I've been planning on playing it like either later this year or later next year for a while now.

My account replied to this but don't click it, it's too weird and kinda R-18. I haven't linked it here for a reason.
Image Image
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

As for RPGs? I guess I dreamt about Little Shaker on PC. Looks super cute, and I've been planning on playing it like either later this year or later next year for a while now.
Looks interesting! I love looking at stuff like this. Makes me feel nostalgic for some reason.
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Beat Run Saber on the SNES. I'm surprised I beat it on my first try in a while given I just could not beat the game a while back.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Going through the Blue Moon part of the AW2 campaign in Reboot Camp right now. Might switch it up and do some of the easier Gold Comet missions while I'm at it because I'm pretty sure these later Blue Moon ones get long. Also doesn't help that I kind of want to get into playing the new Zelda at some point, but it won't be tonight!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Arc the Lad - Was working on leveling up my people in preparation for Zariban, but then I did some research on the Monster Book and turns out I locked myself out of the Novice Monk and Archmonk data to get the Black Tournament in Niedel later down the road.

So I restarted. It's fine, though, I get to see weird easter eggs I missed. Like how you can have Tosh fight alongside you early, but only at Colbo Plain if you do a very specific sequence before leaving Seirya for the first time. Say "not yet" to Chopin in response to leaving to Millmana five times, then head to Palencia Castle to see a hidden cutscene with a drunkard from the village harassing the guards, then head to Colbo Plain. I love this shit.

I did already know about leaving without saying goodbye to mom by trying to force your way out the door 12 times to later get a Gale Bandana (you cannot get the Kaiser Glove without her just giving it to you at the start of the game so I cannot go for that sadly) and the secret reward for visiting her at Touvil 21 times before it gets ravaged by Andel.

Also managed to score the Ninja's Hit Scroll at Toyoke and the Stone Golem's Deity Fist (had to use a savestate for that). Levelling up my peeps before Greyshinne, but I'm gonna make a note on my backlog to pass by Toyoke to meet up with the Forest Spirit, to work on the Silk Belt reward. I got the Romancing Stone at the remains of Arc's house too (and the one at the Ancient Monolith at Ornis Hill (JP name) though that one is mandatory), and I got the Magic Card from checking Arc's house's mirror 25 times at the start of the game.

So far every enemy in Azenda Highlands and the Forbidden Ruins B1~B5F got scanned by Chong along with the playable party so far (summons too), minus the Stone Golem, too strong and prone to self destruction (and I can always go down the Forbidden Ruins later to find it). Mofly's Make Floor mandatory treasures in Azenda obtained as well.
Matthew_Coco wrote: 11 months ago
Looks interesting! I love looking at stuff like this. Makes me feel nostalgic for some reason.
biiiitch ikr

Old DOS games and PC games just obliterate me in this way and I cannot have enough of it, not even just western or just Japanese ones. It's why I really wanna start watching the Vangers LP already even though I feel the request is a bit flawed (I don't know if raocow's the best person to showcase the game).

I don't play as many retro PC games though, because console games and modern PC games (and Falcom games in general) are just naturally more approachable, though I also spent like the better part of a morning a few days ago just playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms so don't ask me.
Image Image
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Force Reboot - Schmoovin' the game
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Just realized it's page 420.

animeweedlord.png
animeweedlord.png (140.3 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Haven't done much since Arc the Lad yesterday, but I did install 86Box in the hopes it'll have better compatibility. But most importantly, it does have an option to pause the emulation which is good enough for me, I can screengrab things more easily to slot into Google Lens. I'll continue Legend of Heroes V today, then work on Suikoden Win9x and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in due time.

86Box is a bit harder to install stuff in, so if you're gonna use it please use this guide, here is also the text document seen in the video if you don't want to follow an entire 50 min video on it, I'd suggest downloading it to keep a local copy if you're doing multiple VMs. Just keep in mind that the emulated specs aren't law, I had to tone down my emulated Pentium's potency (mostly the speed, and don't make it an Overdrive MMX), to run at a stable framerate on my computer rather than like 75%

I also pirated VMWare to test out its WinXP emulation, I'll try out like, SRB2 1.09 and Tenerezza as test dummies, and Frane 1 which I'm playing rn, this one also allows to pause emulation, I think, but it has a play button appear on the screen, so I'll have to rely on its screengrab feature I believe. It also might have better emulation gamewise than QEMU.

I'm also gonna see how to use Textractor on PC for foreign language games, maybe now that I'm a smidge (around 5%) more used to messing with RAM in console game emulators I might be better at shifting through PC RAM for text? :thonk:

Legend of Heroes V - Heading to Cranka to get the Purification resonance stone, again. I love Trails and Gagharv style NPC text, it's too cute. <3 The protags are also super cute, granted, McBain is my fave because he's a big dumbass, but Una and Forte are just super relatable and precious too and Jan is pupy...
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i hate myself so i've been working my way thru celeste strawberry jam tho idk if i'm gonna go that much further in it bcuz i get the vibe anything past the intermediate lobby is going to be annoyingly and exclusively targeted at speedrunners which i am not one of. already some kinda rancid levels or individual rooms that have unreasonable expectations that i just don't feel like dealing with. for like every really cool and clever level there's two more that are just annoying gimmicks and the way the modpack is a bunch of b-side styled levels that also have strawberries annoys me too like. that's. that's not what strawberries are for guys...

like i'm overall enjoying it? just that it's starting to wear on me and i'm not anywhere close to "done" yet either

it sure does feel like a celeste romhack, tho
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Legend of Heroes V - Back out of Racos Palma past the battle with the Greater Toxinbugs. It was less hard now, but I did make a small pit stop at Dorso's house near the sluice gate to heal up, which also made some enemies respawn, but that's fine. Turns out Dorso actually tells you to rest at his house if necessary oops. I just wonder how hard it'd be if I did everything in one go. Jan's Lickylick Cure would probably be less useful due to how much MP it costs (4, Jan has like 27 MP), I'd probably run out of MP. I did buy a bunch of Low Cures (HP Restore) and two Low Reshes (MP Restore) that I wound up not using.

RPG Maker 2000/3 - Ripping some FF6 tiles for map making purposes, no real gamedev here. I'll have to rip the water tiles in Mobliz through emulation, for some reason Spriters-Resource doesn't have their individual frames. I dunno why, map making just scratches a very good itch in my brain. Maybe I should make more SMW overworlds. Also get into gardening, but we don't really have a good garden for that. We do have some good potted plants tho!
Crow wrote: 11 months ago like i'm overall enjoying it? just that it's starting to wear on me and i'm not anywhere close to "done" yet either
that's SMW Gaiden for me and why i don't like it as much as like 90% of smw hack enjoyers who actually play something other than bland af flavorless gamma v hacks all the time like some normie. it's basically just Rakugaki but not a meme in terms of difficulty.

i'm just using savestates from now on

i guess JUMP's stages also wear me out, but that's more me not vibing with what people consider "JUMP style level design" (is that even truly a thing). ironically, lazy's levels were some of the best examples of kaizo influenced standard level design to me, yet they consider those stages terrible because "they feel like kaizo levels trying their hardest to not be kaizo levels"? not my problem

not surprised celeste is just like how you described, no real hate, just. i'm already very low stamina wrt grinding out kaizo, regardless of checkpoints, so i don't think i'd like it much myself.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

While still going through the Advance Wars remake, I didn't want to put off at least starting The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom any longer. Did the entirety of the tutorial area before diving down into Hyrule for a few minutes and calling it a day. Hey, this game's fun, too. What a surprise.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

BNLC MMBN2: Coming up on Knightman. Gotta have swords for shadow viruses but also need long-range attacks for beetank2s and... yeah. At least Magnetman can be cheesed.

Might and Magic 6: Started a new (randomized) game. Currently at level 15ish, working on the Castle Ironfist area.
Matthew_Coco

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Currently sidequesting in Chrono Trigger in preperation for the end of the game. Also getting through Alcahest.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, after about, oh...10 months, maybe 11, I finished Going Under. Due to it being a roguelike on my Switch, it became an on/off game, something I'd play while taking public transit over big distances or flights. So it's in reality a much shorter game than what my relative time spent on it suggests. It was great game whose narrative and style I stand by as being more interesting and compelling than Personality Replacement Game with a Forced Isometric View Hades, which was released around the same time. At the same time, I see why it didn't get as much time in the spotlight: It's a far less robust game than the latter. It shows in the True Founders mode: They're remixed versions of the original dungeons with much harder enemies, but not much else to them other than advanced weapons. First TF dungeon took 4 tries to complete, second two, third I got on first try. Compare to the couple dozen tries for each dungeon the first go around.

Not helping matters is that Swomp, one of the mentors, is OP. When he's fully powered, you get from him:
  • A free item in the shop on each floor (RNG which one, but you can lower the odds by just buying stuff)
  • Free allies each floor who, even if they don't hit your enemies hard, will still distract them
  • A "chill zone" mid-dungeon with free full heal, along with a "quirk" that perma-boosts your weapons or allies (or just prevents enemies from aggroing for an extra couple seconds)
(Also, he offers "cubes" that give you powerful weapons as they're about to break...which might be useful if you like throwing)

Still...endgame was really cool. After you beat the bosses in True Founders mode, you learn there's a missing share...which Jackie deduces that Ray, her CEO, has. Game sets up briefly for a fight...only for Ray to just hand over the share right away, and admit he's a shitty leader in the process. A nice touch. Then Floor 999 happens, which brings all the creatures you faced from the three dungeons together to help you reach the end, where you face Marv (who looks like a giant dork with his DBZ outfit...though I'm annoyed I'm older than him after he got called "old man") and a more annoying boss fight.

Then Floor 1000, the finale, happens. The dialogue is great simply because Jacqueline wants ABSOLUTELY NONE of whatever is happening from the start, and Avie's just playing like a dumb Siri. And then, when you are forced to watch a video like some kind of Twitch/YouTube ad that explains the evil plot—which basically applies startup/tech culture logic to some dumb plot point from fucking Evangelion of all things—Jackie immediately calls it pretentious. It also hints that things in the game's world are much darker than what they seem, with the game's version of Seattle having seceded from the Union. Then we get the final boss fight, which was honestly kind of a big challenge. Took me a dozen tries to get it done. Then the ending: You successfully defeat Avie, disconnect it from the cloud...only to find your colleagues are still fish people, you've destroyed Cubicle HQ, and as the final pan-out and subsequent post-game title screen indicates, you leveled the city-state as well. "Bittersweet Victory Music" indeed.

Still, a fun game. I may try Impostor Mode at some point, but given that's a gauntlet, not sure I want to do it right away, and honestly, I'll probably need Assist Mode for that.

I have more to say, about GTA IV, but that can wait until tomorrow. It's late.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Added the Legend of Sword and Fairy, and GuJian serieses to my bucket.xls part of my online backlog spreadsheet and I've organized the placements of Legend of Heroes (Trails really, I'm already wrapping up Gagharv and Iselhasa/Dragon Slayer) and other games with Legend of ____ in their titles, including Legend of Nayuta. Not playing too many games recently due to exhaustion but!

Legend of Heroes V - Currently at Pinzel. We're in the middle of getting authorization to enter the Republic of Greysul and travel the rest of Weltluna by visiting the Embassies of Burodain and Greysul, but first we're at Graht's house (Grart in PSP, don't like that name) to read his and his son's collection of Leone Frederick Richter's Seabed Folk opera, because I love Legend of Heroes' scripts regardless of game or subseries.

zony.png
zony.png (13.34 KiB) Viewed 947 times

Relics Walker: Shinku no Reijou - So Textractor works with this game (and RPG Maker 2003 in general)! Mostly just did the intro stuff at the Metropolis of Ilnath and chatted the people around, quite a few were tutorials but writing is alright so far. Did the sidequest(?) For Dee Stance Steppe (Kyori Step in the actual text, but I felt like translating it) where you have to get to the Frontier Village of Alyssa in less steps than her, which got me a belt accessory. And I grinded a bit to level up and edit my Syncrosphere setup. I'll edit this with a screenshot later if I can remember it.

Game's roughly 20 hours long so, it should last a while, and I do wanna debug it to figure out how it works to mess around with its code in private stuff I make for myself. I'll download TKcode Scripter at VIPRPG Collection wiki's Tool page because, man, I HATE RPG Maker's point and click interface for events and having a tool that just lets me type shit instead of playing Where's Waldo for Every Little Thing is a life saver, even if it's like from 2011. I'll try it out later.

There seems to be another person asking for a sidequest outside Alyssa, and I'll do that later, I'll first ask Dee if she has anything more for me to do, because That's Just What You Do. Apart from that, the bartender at Ilnath told Ariel (my player character) to head here to get more assistance in my goal as a Relics Walker, which is to find what Clark, aka the legendary Freedom Breeze (It's written with roman letters so you KNOW it's an important name), left behind after his passing.

I also have to grind a bit for El (currency) to get a boomerang weapon from a merchant at Ilnath's local inn (hotel really).

----

Speaking of which I also "played" somewhat of a tutorial game on said wiki that was basically a miruge (only watching and reading, no real playing), "Zack and the Grim Reaper's CBS Course" (ザックと死神の自作戦闘講座), humor was very good as expected of a VIPRPG, but it went through the basics of what you should keep in mind when designing a CBS which, is good. The DBS is fine but I like messing with battle systems and aesthetics.

Oh yeah uh, Relics Walker also just has a blatant Touhou reference and that's based as fuck. I think I saw Yukari near the train at the very start of the game too.
remi and saks just under the 'brella
remi and saks just under the 'brella
septentrion pleiades.png (160.08 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Kind of wanted to play Kingdom Hearts 2 though..
Image Image